Like Water for Chocolate Casting: RB Summer 2022

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, bridiem said:

Perhaps the sets are very elaborate?

not from what they were saying in the insights, though we didn't get THAT much info about the sets. They seem to be movable tables and hangings, from what I recall.

Perhaps the opening night intervals are longer for sponsors drinkies! lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bridiem said:

Very helpful, even though (or maybe especially because) it's extraordinarily long.  

Agreed and excellent that the Insights are now available. It’s great that Christopher Wheeldon ensures audiences have such material and I’ll enjoy doing a bit of homework before seeing performances, as I’m sure many people will do.

I wish others followed this practice. I’ll be very interested to see what material is provided for the revival of Woolf Works where in the past there’s been little by way of synopsis and no cast list naming characters despite dancers and the creative team referring to characters by name. It all seems rather alienating with audiences denied information that some may find helpful.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JohnS said:

Agreed and excellent that the Insights are now available. It’s great that Christopher Wheeldon ensures audiences have such material and I’ll enjoy doing a bit of homework before seeing performances, as I’m sure many people will do.

I wish others followed this practice. I’ll be very interested to see what material is provided for the revival of Woolf Works where in the past there’s been little by way of synopsis and no cast list naming characters despite dancers and the creative team referring to characters by name. It all seems rather alienating with audiences denied information that some may find helpful.

I worry that we're heading towards an expectation that audiences should have done their homework before attending. I don't think that's desirable for a narrative ballet.

• Like 6

Just to clarify I wouldn’t wish to give the impression that homework should be compulsory to enjoy a performance!
What I very much welcome is having the opportunity to look at relevant material made readily available. That may enhance my enjoyment of the performance but enjoying the performance should not be contingent on doing homework. And as I suggested, there’s quite a contrast between the material made available for Like Water for Chocolate and some other new ballets.

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Just to clarify I wouldn’t wish to give the impression that homework should be compulsory to enjoy a performance!
What I very much welcome is having the opportunity to look at relevant material made readily available. That may enhance my enjoyment of the performance but enjoying the performance should not be contingent on doing homework. And as I suggested, there’s quite a contrast between the material made available for Like Water for Chocolate and some other new ballets.

I am of the same view. I find it rewarding if I have a fuller understanding of a choreographer’s intention with regard to narrative and / or characterisation. In the case of this ballet, Christopher Wheeldon has highlighted the aspects of the novel, he is drawn to, and how he has dealt with these will add to my involvement when I see the ballet for the first time. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MrsBBB said:

Drinking time for the first night sponsors 😉🥂

I have to say, I do hate sitting next to people at the ROH who smell very pungently of alcohol (it has happened to me quite a few times). I understand that it can be the done thing at evening performances, but don't you need to remain clear headed enough to actually concentrate on the performance... 🤔

Anyway, very much looking forward to opening night. I found the clip of Joseph Sissens (as Mama Elena's past love, I believe) performing with Laura Morera in one of the Insight videos (Music and Design) extremely evocative and beautiful. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

It’s possible to have a drink and not be incapable of concentrating on the performance.

I am a first night patron and I’m pretty sure you won’t be sitting beside me so no need to worry.

I don't doubt it. I was referring to those who literally give off alcoholic fumes to those around them, which can't be comfortable for anyone.

Good to know I won't be sitting next to any pointlessly rude or petty individuals, so thank you for that information.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, art_enthusiast said:

I don't doubt it. I was referring to those who literally give off alcoholic fumes to those around them, which can't be comfortable for anyone.

Good to know I won't be sitting next to any pointlessly rude or petty individuals, so thank you for that information.

perhaps you shouldn’t insinuate that first night patrons are all drunkards

50 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

The comment from art_enthusiast was a legitimate response to MrsBBB's suggestion that the long intervals would be drinking time for first night sponsors.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

My comment referred to "people at the ROH" in a very general sense. It certainly wasn't directed towards any specific group.
Perhaps you should refrain from reacting impulsively.

• Like 2

On 29/03/2022 at 10:57, whatkindofbird said:

I just can't see Fumi as Mama Elena 😂  even though she was an impressive Satan in Dante. 

I don't think Fumi Kaneko will have a problem in acting the role of a selfish, controlling sort of person (as witness her  Odile debut, and  her Gypsy Girl in Two Pigeons, as others have mentioned)   but in terms of age, I do wonder about her, and Melissa Hamilton,  portraying the mother of (respectively)  Yasmine Naghdi and Akane Takada. 

• Like 5

I attended all three Insights and Chris Wheeldon emphasised more than once that, in light of the changes to the narrative in relation to the original novel, and the use of ‘flashback’ sequences to inform the audience why characters are “why they are” in the present, to get more from viewing the ballet, he recommended reading the synopsis beforehand. It is by no means mandatory.

I don’t think that in any way this is any indication of weakness on his part or of the production. I may be proven wrong on seeing it but I applaud the fact that a synopsis has been made available before time for anyone who wants it.

I took two friends to (different) performances of Swan Lake. Both had never seen it and both felt in the first interval that they wished they had read the synopsis first rather than taking it for granted that the story would tell itself.

A nine year old godchild told me to watch the film Frozen before seeing the stage production if I wanted to enjoy it because it is not obvious from the stage production what the story is.

Similarly before the pandemic I worked my way through the cannon of Harry Potter books before taking a godchild to see it. Again not essential but it certainly added to my enjoyment of the production.

• Like 3

I don't think that a long, detailed synopsis describing characters' motivations etc should be necessary to enjoy a work. A list of characters, a small amount of 'back story' if necessary, and an outline of what happens should suffice. (And it should always be available on the cast sheet, given that programmes especially at the ROH are so expensive. Although of course now, cast sheets aren't so readily available either, unless you're very motivated...). When I go to ballet with people who don't go much, I don't think they ever read a programme/cast sheet/synopsis in advance (or maybe at all). Whether that's good or not, I suspect it's not unusual. So I think that what happens on the stage does need to be pretty clear.

• Like 5

Information about the proposed strikes from TfL, for anyone going on 6th June (in particular):

'Between Friday 3 June and Sunday 10 July, RMT strike action will be taking place across various London Underground stations. Between these dates, journeys may be impacted by short notice station closures, although we are doing everything we can to keep stations open. On Monday 6 June, severe disruption across the network is expected from start of service until 08:00 on Tuesday morning, with many stations, especially those in the centre, closed. Train services will still run but will only be stopping at stations that are open, which could change throughout the day due to staffing levels. You are advised to avoid travelling on Monday 6 June. If travel on Monday 6 June cannot be avoided, please travel after 08:00 and complete journeys by 18:00. On Tuesday 7 June, some stations may still be closed at the beginning of the day and you are advised to travel after 08:00.'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Candleque said:

Nice picture story in the Guardian of LWFC rehearsal. Happy to see Mayara Magri in one of the pictures. Guessing she plays a sister.

Must say that the Royal Ballet marketing dept seems to be doing a good job on promoting this new work. 

Which is already been culled for the Links tomorrow (which will have much of interest and is well worth perusing).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Candleque said:

Must say that the Royal Ballet marketing dept seems to be doing a good job on promoting this new work. 

They are but there are still A LOT  of tickets to shift.

I feel, however, that they could have given more prominence to the fact that the Insights are available to watch on YouTube, especially on social media.

• Like 4

In Tune, on Radio 3, this evening (about 15-20 minutes in) had interviews with Joby Talbot and the guitarist Tomas Barreiro to discuss Like Water. The programme played a piece from the new ballet, plus an excerpt from Alice and started with an extract from Talbot's Ink Dusk Moon.

Sorry if this should go in the new music theme!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bridiem said:

Information about the proposed strikes from TfL, for anyone going on 6th June (in particular):

'Between Friday 3 June and Sunday 10 July, RMT strike action will be taking place across various London Underground stations. Between these dates, journeys may be impacted by short notice station closures, although we are doing everything we can to keep stations open. 

But I thought the strike had been postponed until Monday?
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/jubilee-tube-strike-cancelled-euston-b2090213.html
"Around 80 staff at Euston and Green Park were due to stage a walkout on Friday 3 June, causing the stations to potentially shut over the busy long weekend.

But the industrial action has been halted following successful talks between the RMT union and London Underground chiefs."

Edited by art_enthusiast
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

But I thought the strike had been postponed until Monday?
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/jubilee-tube-strike-cancelled-euston-b2090213.html
"Around 80 staff at Euston and Green Park were due to stage a walkout on Friday 3 June, causing the stations to potentially shut over the busy long weekend.

But the industrial action has been halted following successful talks between the RMT union and London Underground chiefs."

My TfL email about this came about 5pm today so is pretty up to date. I think it may be that more significant strike action had been planned on 3rd June/over the bank holiday period but is now likely to have less impact though still maybe some. The strike on 6th June has been planned for a while but I'd been hoping it would be called off (and I suppose that may yet happen) but if it does go ahead it sounds as if it will have a big impact.

• Thanks 1