Like Water for Chocolate Casting: RB Summer 2022

Since forum members are saying they haven't seen this and booking opens imminently for some, here is what I have received. The order of characters is: Tita, Pedro, Mama Elena and Dr John Brown

Hayward, Sambe, Morera, Ball -  2nd June, 4th June, 9th June, 17th June

Naghdi, Corrales, Kaneko, Bracewell - 4th June (Mat), 8th June, 15th June

Takada, Campbell, Hamilton, Clarke - 6th June, 11th June

• Like 8
  • Thanks 11

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been in two minds whether to book for this - ( it's a time of year for all sorts of other activities, and for some funny reason I just have a feeling I might not get on with it- ) but Morera's presence tips the scale.

• Like 2

I am greatly looking forward to this!  Having read the book I am wondering how all the special effects will be achieved!  However with the magician Bob Crowley costumes and set designs, Natasha Katz in charge of lighting,  a new score by Joby Talbot, (the same team as for Alice Adventures in Wonderland and Winter's Tale), plus the whole production by Christopher Wheeldon, I have no doubt it will be spectacular, with wonderful dancing.

• Like 1

On 29/03/2022 at 11:17, LinMM said:

But did you see her Odile in Swan Lake🤔

I did! 

I'm relatively new to ballet watching so excuse me if this isn't the right interpretation. But it's not very clear to me what Odile _is_ exactly. I find myself thinking "Is she an actual person with her own thoughts? Or is she just something constructed by Rothbart as a pawn to harm Odette". Because of that, I find the "evil" that is expressed through another medium feels almost soldier-like, if that makes sense. 

Mama Elena, at least in the book, has personal and selfish reasons to hurt Tita. I am interested to see how expressing that level of "evil" would be interpreted through dance.

• Like 2

One of Fumi Kaneko’s breakout roles (on an international level) was the Gypsy Girl in The Two Pigeons, stepping in  Laura Morera, who sustained an injury shortly after the premiere and after dancing it at a few performances, eventually dancing it on the international cinema relay as well. This was after being picked from the corps de ballet by Carlos Acosta to dance Kitri in one of the alternate casts in his then-new production of Don Quixote. She was a complete minx and heartless flirt in the role of the Gypsy Girl, and danced it as though she’d been doing it for years. She was also a superb Odile at her debut in the role. I’m looking forward to this new ballet and seeing all the casts. I’m curious to see how the fire and the cooking will be depicted on stage! 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

projections most probably (hence the video designer in the 'creatives' list)

Oh, pity....I was hoping for 4D effects (the arts are about pushing the envelope, after all....lol) and maybe some smells of wedding cake, stews, etc  wafting to the audience!  🤣

18 hours ago, PeterS said:

If it was choreographed as Cathy Marston did with The Cellist, then we could perhaps expect the corps to be the cooking implements and perhaps RBS students flames of the fire? 

The cooking implements could be a fun take on a “dream scene”, a la Petipa’s Corsaire, Don Q, Sleeping Beauty, etc.    The fire could be interesting. I don’t think (racks brain) Wheeldon’s previous narrative ballets have included a “disaster scene” so far. 

Speaking of projections and effects, I really liked his depiction of the carriage in Cinderella and the “pursued by a bear” effect in The Winter’s Tale, and am now wishing  those two ballets might be revived very soon (by ENB & RB respectively). 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

As long as it isn't smoked salmon a la 'floral' hall pong!

that's not smoked salmon, its the sea bass i believe. though, whichever it be,  the smell is very pervasive and hangs about.  it is disgusting to have to walk anywhere in the ROH and think that one has stumbled into Billingsgate rather than the Floral Hall.  i have flagged this up with management more than once to no avail so far

• Like 4

Didn't Liam Scarletts Frankenstein end with a back projection of a building in flames and the creature walking towards it? Or am I getting it mixed up with something else? It's a long time since I've seen it. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

As long as it isn't smoked salmon a la 'floral' hall pong!

I don’t think there’s smoked salmon in the book (anyone who has a copy, correct me if I’m wrong) so you might be ok, Dave....lol. There’s roast quail with a rose flavoured sauce, though! 

19 hours ago, PeterS said:

that's not smoked salmon, its the sea bass i believe. though, whichever it be,  the smell is very pervasive and hangs about.  it is disgusting to have to walk anywhere in the ROH and think that one has stumbled into Billingsgate rather than the Floral Hall.  i have flagged this up with management more than once to no avail so far

They serve sea bass in the Floral Hall now? I must start booking dinner in the  opera house again some time. I only ever smell champagne when I go through. 😁

13 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Didn't Liam Scarletts Frankenstein end with a back projection of a building in flames and the creature walking towards it? Or am I getting it mixed up with something else? It's a long time since I've seen it. 

I need to watch Frankenstein again on DVD; I can’t remember either! 

21 hours ago, Sim said:

You must be a glutton for punishment!!  😁

20 hours ago, LinMM said:

Hee hee Sim on all three I think!!! 
Sorry Emeralds I nearly always agree with you on most things but…….

Lol, Sim and LinMM! I must admit that while I never got round to watching it live in the theatre - I was slow to book and thereafter it always clashed with dates when we had other commitments- I must admit I recorded it off the BBC4 broadcast and actually enjoyed watching certain sections on repeat, and skipping over others.

It has that funny combination of having one’s favourite  performers eg Bonelli, Morera, Campbell, etc being very good as always, as well as having some bits one wouldn’t want to rewatch. I haven’t actually bought the DVD yet but as I’ve deleted my recording to make room for other ballets (BBC Four broadcasts also use more memory than SkyArts ones), that’s what  I’ll have to do if I want to see it again! But yes, I know the production was not popular among many who saw it in the Opera House. 😉 

Interesting observation: when the Royal Ballet performed it, many RB fans voiced their disappointment with the ballet. When San Francisco Ballet premiered it, many SFB fans declared that they loved the ballet.  

Has anyone here ever seen both productions in London and San Francisco respectively- can they be so different as to provoke vastly different reactions? Or is it that viewers in different cities have different tastes and expectations? 

I’m hoping that Wheeldon’s Like Water For Chocolate turns out to be more like The Winter’s Tale, Cinderella, and Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, than....some unsuccessful story ballets (I’m deliberately not naming any 😆).

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

There are 3 LWFC insights this week, all of which say 'filming'. Does anyone know if this means that they will all be on YouTube, live? I'm not going to any of them but might watch at least one of them if they're being streamed. (Or we do assume that all insights are now shown live on YouTube? I'm confused about this.) 

Related to this, I subscribe to the ROH YouTube channel but when I look at it the Home page shows various past highlights and the Videos tab shows past insights etc that have been streamed. Are upcoming streams/videos mentioned anywhere and I'm missing them?

10 minutes ago, bridiem said:

There are 3 LWFC insights this week, all of which say 'filming'. Does anyone know if this means that they will all be on YouTube, live? I'm not going to any of them but might watch at least one of them if they're being streamed. (Or we do assume that all insights are now shown live on YouTube? I'm confused about this.) 

Related to this, I subscribe to the ROH YouTube channel but when I look at it the Home page shows various past highlights and the Videos tab shows past insights etc that have been streamed. Are upcoming streams/videos mentioned anywhere and I'm missing them?

Upcoming streams appear a couple of days ahead on my homepage of Youtube with an option to set a reminder, it's p0ossible they would also appear as a thumbnail on the ROH channel's page too 

12 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Upcoming streams appear a couple of days ahead on my homepage of Youtube with an option to set a reminder, it's p0ossible they would also appear as a thumbnail on the ROH channel's page too 

Thanks, Rob S. I'd assumed that by subscribing to a channel I'd see upcoming streams but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've now set it to receive Notifications from the ROH, but it's still only showing past streams on my page and on the ROH page. Clearly I don't understand YouTube!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

Thanks, Rob S. I'd assumed that by subscribing to a channel I'd see upcoming streams but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've now set it to receive Notifications from the ROH, but it's still only showing past streams on my page and on the ROH page. Clearly I don't understand YouTube!

You'll see it when the ROH set one up....the fact that there may be an upcoming one on a date you know of (from the ROH website, for example) doesn't mean there should be one on the youtube channel listed already.

• Thanks 1

Guest oncnp
16 minutes ago, capybara said:

So is there a streaming tonight or not?

And, if so, please does anyone have the link?

The "camera filming" may be for the DVD or cinema features as well, not streaming...or they just may be putting up link at last minute. 

Edited by oncnp

If tonight’s Insight is anything to go by, there is much to look forward to in this new ballet. Laura Esquivel & Chris Wheeldon talked about the origins of the project and their mutual like of each other’s work. We were treated to rehearsal excerpts involving Kristen McNally, Frankie Hayward, Marci Sambé & Harris Bell. Very excited to see the full ballet in June.

• Like 6

In addition to the insights does anyone know if an actual performance will be streamed? I can see camera filming on some dates. 

On their streaming section they only appear to have flight pattern? I see they have the cinema live stream section as well but doesn’t list this performance. 

23 hours ago, PeterS said:

We were treated to rehearsal excerpts involving Kristen McNally, Frankie Hayward, Marci Sambé & Harris Bell.

Oh nice to hear that Harris Bell was a participant in the Insight. What is his role in the ballet?

It was cool to see from his Instagram how much he valued being a part of 'A Month in the Country'; think he is a young artist to watch.