Like Water for Chocolate Casting: RB Summer 2022

6 hours ago, Candleque said:

Must say that the Royal Ballet marketing dept seems to be doing a good job on promoting this new work. 

I changed trains at a non-normal station today, and was surprised to see a video ad for it on one of those newfangled video "poster" screens".

• Like 1

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Which is already been culled for the Links tomorrow (which will have much of interest and is well worth perusing).

I certainly read and appreciate the Links, but also think relevant articles can add to a discussion in situ if that makes sense.  

• Like 2

And very expensive for those wishing to stay in London with rates doubling and minimum stays. As a result I’ve changed my plans and am avoiding the Jubilee bank holiday evening performances but will make a day trip for the Saturday matinee (although I’m wondering how busy the trains will be).

• Like 3

17 hours ago, bridiem said:

My TfL email about this came about 5pm today so is pretty up to date. I think it may be that more significant strike action had been planned on 3rd June/over the bank holiday period but is now likely to have less impact though still maybe some. The strike on 6th June has been planned for a while but I'd been hoping it would be called off (and I suppose that may yet happen) but if it does go ahead it sounds as if it will have a big impact.

Thank you for the information - I really hope it isn't too bad on the performance days!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JohnS said:

And very expensive for those wishing to stay in London with rates doubling and minimum stays. As a result I’ve changed my plans and am avoiding the Jubilee bank holiday evening performances but will make a day trip for the Saturday matinee (although I’m wondering how busy the trains will be).

And if you have the disadvantage of having to use Avanti, wondering if they will actually bother to run any trains!

56 minutes ago, JohnS said:

You’re worrying me Jan - I booked my Avanti tickets some time ago for Saturday and as far as I know trains are still running. Or have I missed something?

I put my feelings about Avanti in Room 101 some weeks ago.

My friend and I travelled to Edinburgh by car in April due to the issues of booking trains.

When I went to London just over 2 weeks ago, having booked our theatre tickets and hotel last September I could not book a train to come home on the Sunday.  When the tickets finally went on sale the seats were sold out!!  I ended up visiting my friend who lives near Gloucester and travelling from there!  

I know there are issues of cancellation with all the train companies at the moment but Avanti seem to be making an art of it.

I do hope you get there and back successfully.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

The cast list for this evening's rehearsal is on line:

https://static.roh.org.uk/digital/cast-sheets/Like+Water+for+Chocolate/LWFC-gen-1.6.22.pdf?_ga=2.40251938.1212520043.1653993392-1931094508.1652950752

Edited to paste in the cast:

Tita FRANCESCA HAYWARD

Mama Elena LAURA MORERA

Rosaura MAYARA MAGRI

Gertrudis ANNA ROSE O’SULLIVAN

Pedro MARCELINO SAMBÉ

Dr John Brown MATTHEW BALL

Nacha CHRISTINA ARESTIS

Juan Alejandrez CESAR CORRALES

Don Pasqual GARY AVIS

Chencha ISABELLA GASPARINI

Nacha’s former lover HARRIS BELL

José JOSEPH SISSENS

Elena’s mother ANNETTE BUVOLI

Elena’s father BENNET GARTSIDE

Elena’s brothers TOMAS MOCK, KEVIN EMERTON

Juan De la Garza LUKAS B. BRÆNDSRØD

Esperanza TAESHA PATTERSON,MARIANNA TSEMBENHOI

Alex BILLY TUCKER, HARRISON LEE

Priest PHILIP MOSLEY

Ranch Workers ASHLEY DEAN, LETICIA DIAS, MARIKO SASAKI, GINEVRA ZAMBON TÉO DUBREUIL, BENJAMIN ELLA, CALVIN RICHARDSON, JOSEPH SISSENS

Brides, Revolutionary Soldiers and Wedding Guests ARTISTS OF THE ROYAL BALLET Students of The Royal Ballet School appear by kind permission of the Artistic Director CHRISTOPHER POWNEY

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 5

On 30/05/2022 at 09:14, capybara said:

The synopsis is helpful, I think; but an accompanying list of characters (with their relationship - Month in the Country style) would have been a useful addition.

They must have read your suggestion, Capybara.  The cast list has the following list of characters:

TITA The youngest daughter of the De la Garza household, in love with Pedro but forbidden by family tradition to marry. She has a special gift for cooking.

PEDRO The son of a neighbouring ranchero, in love with Tita. He marries her sister Rosaura in the hope of remaining close to Tita.

MAMA ELENA The overbearing matriarch of the De la Garza household. She hides a secret.

DR JOHN BROWN The family doctor from America. He loves Tita but her passionate feelings are reserved for Pedro.

NACHA The wise old cook of the De la Garza household and Tita’s closest confidant. The two bond over their shared love of food and cooking.

ROSAURA Tita’s sister. She marries Pedro but remains jealous of his close relationship with Tita.

GERTRUDIS Tita’s other sister. She elopes with a revolutionary soldier, and later becomes a famous revolutionary commander.

JUAN ALEJANDREZ A revolutionary soldier who marries Gertrudis.

ROBERTO Pedro and Rosaura’s first child.

ESPERANZA Pedro and Rosaura’s second child.

ALEX The son of Dr John by his first wife.

DON PASQUAL Pedro’s father and a neighbouring ranchero.

CHENCHA The family maid.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 7

The ROH website now has printable cast lists for each performance, although so far  these still only name those dancing the 4 main characters.

Edit: the links to these now seem to have disappeared....!

Edited by Richard LH

1 hour ago, Beryl H said:

I'm glad to see they have knocked 5 minutes off each interval, running time is now 2h.45m.

As noted above, the timings I quoted were only for the first night.

I've now seen the cast sheet for the first night and it shows 25 minute intervals but I imagine they may turn out to be a bit longer tomorrow!

3 hours ago, Candleque said:

I was surprised to see the first cast doing the rehearsal tonight as the opening is tomorrow. Not much time to rest

AND, by all accounts, they danced last night as well.

Maybe Christopher Wheeldon is seeking to replicate the preview system which his musicals have the benefit of?

The rehearsal footage on the roh Instagram is lovely... looking forward to the dancing and dancers on Saturday afternoon. I have read the book and seen the film! Just hope there are no tiny little fluttery birds being killed as in the film!!!

On 31/05/2022 at 18:03, Jan McNulty said:

I know there are issues of cancellation with all the train companies at the moment but Avanti seem to be making an art of it.

I see the 8:01 Penrith to Euston train is cancelled - I don’t see any explanation but I assume there are problems with getting a full train crew. Good job I went for the 7:01 although that was delayed by 10 minutes ‘because of passengers causing a disruption’. Rather impressed with the new coach - power points I think for every seat and seems to be much better wifi. Hoping my 17:30 return train is running and looking forward very much to ‘Like Water for Chocolate’.

• Like 4

Just had an email telling me my 17:30 is cancelled. I could catch the 18:30 and would be able to claim my fare back as at best I’ll be an hour late getting home compared to what I’d booked but I may see if I can use my ticket for the 16:30. I guess the trains running will be pretty crowded but at least I’ve had plenty of notice.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Just had an email telling me my 17:30 is cancelled. I could catch the 18:30 and would be able to claim my fare back as at best I’ll be an hour late getting home compared to what I’d booked but I may see if I can use my ticket for the 16:30. I guess the trains running will be pretty crowded but at least I’ve had plenty of notice.

Enjoy you day John!

Yes JohnS hope you like the new ballet. It takes a lot of energy and determination to do the travelling you do with all the worry about cancellations etc to see the Ballet at ROH. 

I see that Clare Calvert and Meaghan Grace Hinkis are the sisters to Yasmine Naghdi's Tita today. Does anyone know who will be in the Akane Takada / Alexander Campbell cast?
Especially interested in who gets the plum Juan Alejandrez role as well.
(Really wish the Royal Ballet would publish a full cast list in advance, but hey ho.)

3 hours ago, Candleque said:

I see that Clare Calvert and Meaghan Grace Hinkis are the sisters to Yasmine Naghdi's Tita today. Does anyone know who will be in the Akane Takada / Alexander Campbell cast?
Especially interested in who gets the plum Juan Alejandrez role as well.
(Really wish the Royal Ballet would publish a full cast list in advance, but hey ho.)

Benjamin Ella is Juan (but he’s also dancing tonight).

I have heard the names Itziar Mendizabal and Hannah Grenell mentioned in connection with this ballet, so they might - and I stress might - be the other sisters.

If so, which way round is anyone’s guess.

I've "filleted" this thread somewhat and put some of the feedback into the LWFC performance thread here:

There's also a new thread on discussion of Covent Garden in the dim and distant past :) here:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/05/2022 at 18:46, art_enthusiast said:

I have to say, I do hate sitting next to people at the ROH who smell very pungently of alcohol (it has happened to me quite a few times). I understand that it can be the done thing at evening performances, but don't you need to remain clear headed enough to actually concentrate on the performance... 🤔

Well, I for one certainly needed the drinks to get through that ballet. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, capybara said:

No Hamilton as Mama Elena, no Buvoli as Nacha and no Dean as Chencha.

What a pity for these dancers if they will end up with only one show.

I believe Dean was absent from her ranch worker role on Thursday, a last minute cast change was announced. Possibly due to injury (though I do hope not)