Like Water for Chocolate Casting: RB Summer 2022

They don't seem to have much on streaming at the moment.  I'd thought they were going to relaunch it, but very little as yet.

I assume they will at least be streaming this: they've recorded all their recent new full-length works almost immediately, IIRC.

• Like 1

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 25/04/2022 at 10:38, Rob S said:

Upcoming streams appear a couple of days ahead on my homepage of Youtube with an option to set a reminder, it's p0ossible they would also appear as a thumbnail on the ROH channel's page too 

Apologies if this is already being discussed elsewhere (JNC and Alison mention above)…

It looks like the June 4, 7:30pm, performance is being filmed for a future showing…live (or later) stream? DVD/blue ray?

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/like-water-for-chocolate-by-christopher-wheeldon-details

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/05/2022 at 05:53, Jeannette said:

…looks like the June 4, 7:30pm, performance is being filmed for a future showing…live (or later) stream? DVD/blue ray?

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/like-water-for-chocolate-by-christopher-wheeldon-details

June 9 too…same cast at both filmings (Hayward/Sambe/Morera/Ball)…so it appears that a streaming &/or DVD is in the works. Hurrah!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jeannette said:

June 9 too…same cast at both filmings (Hayward/Sambe/Morera/Ball)…so it appears that a streaming &/or DVD is in the works. Hurrah!

somewhere recently it was announced by Royal Ballet that every production would be filmed for cinema relay or streaming (not necessarily live). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FionaE said:

somewhere recently it was announced by Royal Ballet that every production would be filmed for cinema relay or streaming (not necessarily live). 

Wow! If only New York City Ballet and American Ballet Theatre could do the same here. (Ha ha…impossible, I know, due to funding patterns, union rules, etc. We can dream.)

The Royal Ballet and Vienna Staatsballett are my hero companies of the 2021/2022 season with honorable mention to Stuttgart and a few others that I’m undoubtedly forgetting.

On 31/03/2022 at 15:49, PeterS said:

that's not smoked salmon, its the sea bass i believe. though, whichever it be,  the smell is very pervasive and hangs about.  it is disgusting to have to walk anywhere in the ROH and think that one has stumbled into Billingsgate rather than the Floral Hall.  i have flagged this up with management more than once to no avail so far

I received the following reply today to my complaint about the fishy smell...

Many thanks for getting in touch and lovely to hear from you again.

I have been in touch with our Catering Department on your behalf and have been advised that a filtration machine in the Dorfman Conservatory which wasn’t being used now is and should resolve the issue.

With best wishes,

Graham Boland

Customer Services Manager

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I received the following reply today to my complaint about the fishy smell...

Many thanks for getting in touch and lovely to hear from you again.

I have been in touch with our Catering Department on your behalf and have been advised that a filtration machine in the Dorfman Conservatory which wasn’t being used now is and should resolve the issue.

With best wishes,

Graham Boland

Customer Services Manager

Even I noticed this on my last visit - really pungent fish smell in the Floral Hall. Let's hope this helps. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bridiem said:

Even I noticed this on my last visit - really pungent fish smell in the Floral Hall. Let's hope this helps. 

Not sure it's helping yet. I thought it was distinctly fishy in the second interval tonight & I wasn't even in the Floral Hall but downstairs.

Getting back to the original subject :) , I finally got around to finishing the novel - and am wondering even more how on earth you translate it to the stage, but I guess we'll see in a few weeks!

2 hours ago, alison said:

Getting back to the original subject :) , I finally got around to finishing the novel - and am wondering even more how on earth you translate it to the stage, but I guess we'll see in a few weeks!

Indeed. I’m guessing lots and lots of projections (films). How I miss the crafting of true 3-D sets. Sigh.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

I saw the film, years ago, and seem to remember a pregnant woman's waters bursting all over the family's supply of salt which was then put back in the barrel for use in the kitchen.....  I assume this will not be re-enacted in the ballet.

Blimey. When you think people complained about Manon & Mayerling showing things considered inappropriate for ballet...

Personally what I'm worried about is the scene described in the Wikipedia synopsis as "At the wedding, everyone gets violently sick, vomiting everywhere." I have emetophobia so if they stage this realistically I wouldn't be able to cope with seeing it. I wish companies did trigger warnings for this sort of thing & not just for gunshots or strobe lighting.

11 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Blimey. When you think people complained about Manon & Mayerling showing things considered inappropriate for ballet...

Personally what I'm worried about is the scene described in the Wikipedia synopsis as "At the wedding, everyone gets violently sick, vomiting everywhere." I have emetophobia so if they stage this realistically I wouldn't be able to cope with seeing it. I wish companies did trigger warnings for this sort of thing & not just for gunshots or strobe lighting.

FYI in case you need to avoid it, there is 'vomiting' at the end of the Ball scene in Romeo & Juliet as the guests exit. in R&J it is acted not actual, i suspect it will be the same in Like Water.

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, PeterS said:

FYI in case you need to avoid it, there is 'vomiting' at the end of the Ball scene in Romeo & Juliet as the guests exit. in R&J it is acted not actual, i suspect it will be the same in Like Water.

I know but that's one person for a couple of seconds, so I can look elsewhere on stage at that point. But if everyone on stage is vomiting then it'd be a lot harder to avoid! It also doesn't have to be done realistically to be a problem for me. I once went to a preview of a musical, The Light Princess, at the NT which had a scene where the heroine was force-fed & was stck. It wasn't staged literally - her being sick was portrayed by streamers being unfurled - but I had a panic attack & as I was mid-row I couldn't leave. Since then I've been very wary of new shows/productions. I can't decide whether I'd be better to wait until after the first performance of Like Water For Chocolate, ask those on here who attended how that scene was staged, and then see if I can get a ticket if I think it'd be okay, or if I should book a ticket when booking opens on Tuesday & then return it if the first night reports indicate something I couldn't cope with.

On 07/05/2022 at 09:32, PeterS said:

OMG I have never noticed that in R&J!  I have emetophobia too.

33 minutes ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

OMG I have never noticed that in R&J!  I have emetophobia too.

I certainly notice it, though I try not to. Actually though I sometimes find watching Juliet's reaction to taking the poison more of a problem, as some of them act it as if they're retching & that bit of acting lasts longer, plus there's nothing else on stage to look at.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any inkling whether the third cast (ie Takada and Campbell) will actually be dancing this, given that I think both may have been injured fairly recently?  I have a ticket for this cast and am really hoping all is well but also rather wary since there has been no further reference to them since the casting was announced.  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, ElleC said:

Does anyone have any inkling whether the third cast (ie Takada and Campbell) will actually be dancing this, given that I think both may have been injured fairly recently?  I have a ticket for this cast and am really hoping all is well but also rather wary since there has been no further reference to them since the casting was announced.  

Unfortunately there seems to be a dearth of  news about either  in this context, and whilst they are still currently listed,  cast changes can be announced pretty late on. 

Incidentally Alexander Campbell has recently set up  "Alexander Campbell Productions".... "Developing new work for theatre and dance"

https://www.instagram.com/alexandercampbellproductions/?hl=en

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ElleC said:

Earlier this week Christopher Wheeldon mentioned in an Instagram post that Hayward, Naghdi and Takada will be dancing the role of Tita. He writes: ”I’m grateful to be working with these three stunning artists.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd6x2J1D7wu/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mona said:

Earlier this week Christopher Wheeldon mentioned in an Instagram post that Hayward, Naghdi and Takada will be dancing the role of Tita. He writes: ”I’m grateful to be working with these three stunning artists.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd6x2J1D7wu/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Wonderful! That’s very good news indeed. Thanks very much, Mona.

in the final insight, Chris Wheeldon estimated that Act 1 is 45mins, Act 2 30mins, Act 3 20mins. So add 2x 25mins intervals, a few minutes for rounding errors, sounds like it should be 2hrs 30mins (give or take 5mins). Which is nice, as makes getting the train home nice and easy 🙂

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

in the final insight, Chris Wheeldon estimated that Act 1 is 45mins, Act 2 30mins, Act 3 20mins. So add 2x 25mins intervals, a few minutes for rounding errors, sounds like it should be 2hrs 30mins (give or take 5mins). Which is nice, as makes getting the train home nice and easy 🙂

Even nicer if it could have been a two-acter!!! Coming back for only 20 minutes after a longer interval always feels strange to me.

Having the synopsis in advance is helpful............

• Like 5