Royal Opera House "Winter" booking period

Have booked one performance (Magri/Corrales matinee) but as all standing places were gone for all the Kaneko and Hayward performances I’m now stuck as can only afford now to go once more! So who to choose 🤔 
Probably by time have made up my mind I won’t be seeing either! 

• Like 1

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankfully I got the tickets I wanted for 1st March, Nela/Vadim.

Thankfully because I've now been locked out of the website. They've logged me out and I cannot sign in, I've tried changing my password, I'm still locked out. This happened last year too at the time of the first livestream performances.

Has the website been playing up for anyone else?

30 minutes ago, alison said:

This morning's booking was a slight pain: couldn't believe it when the system told me I was no. 3 in the queue!  But the first standing place I grabbed, either for the first night or the single Kaneko/Bonelli performance, got grabbed by someone else. 

I had that happen to me for opening night....35 minutes later an SCS for it reappeared and I got it.

The ROH website worked absolutely fine for me. The only stressful bit was at the payment stage when it insisted I had to do a verification by text message so I had to dash downstairs & turn my phone on as quickly as possible, as apparently the verification code is only valid for a few minutes. I still couldn't manage to narrow it down to 3 casts to see so ended up booking for 5 casts. Expensive. It then got even more expensive when I succumbed to temptation & added another 2 R&J casts. Hoping my mother doesn't go on strike & refuse to keep collecting me from Cambridge station at midnight!

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, emmarose said:

I've managed to sign on on another device, it's my laptop it's not allowing me to sign in.

Thankfully it worked fine during booking.

Are you using Firefox on your laptop?

1 hour ago, emmarose said:

No, I'm on Google Chrome.

But my phone is also Google and it's allowed me to log in. Strange one, but it did happen exactly the same last year.

I had the same trouble with Chrome, but after recommendations above I cleared the cache and it worked OK after that. 

• Like 1

Ouch. I had not been prepared for those price increases. Is it just me, or are the discounts on the restricted/side view tickets less than before? (£19 for the SL Upper Slips vs. the £21 I've been paying for front row side amphi during Giselle!)

I think this is the first booking period I've ever skipped; I'd far rather put towards the summer triple bills. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Meetmeatthebarre said:

Ouch. I had not been prepared for those price increases. Is it just me, or are the discounts on the restricted/side view tickets less than before? (£19 for the SL Upper Slips vs. the £21 I've been paying for front row side amphi during Giselle!)

I think this is the first booking period I've ever skipped; I'd far rather put towards the summer triple bills. 

Prices are definitely up in front side amphi on previous seasons, though the Giselle price this season is a relative bargain (cheaper than Romeo and Juliet, which is £27 for the same seat as the £21 Giselle).

7 hours ago, LinMM said:

Have booked one performance (Magri/Corrales matinee) but as all standing places were gone for all the Kaneko and Hayward performances I’m now stuck as can only afford now to go once more! So who to choose 🤔 
Probably by time have made up my mind I won’t be seeing either! 

What did you decide, Lin? I got tickets for Naghdi and Ball, although Stalls Circle side-ish rather than Donald Gordon, which would have been my first choice for Swan Lake.  I haven’t seen these two in Swan Lake though, so very happy.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Anna C said:

What did you decide, Lin? I got tickets for Naghdi and Ball, although Stalls Circle side-ish rather than Donald Gordon, which would have been my first choice for Swan Lake.  I haven’t seen these two in Swan Lake though, so very happy.

What a treat you have in store, Anna!  

• Like 1

Anna C after  much deliberation I went for Kaneko and Bonelli on March 4th and they had my favourite seat in the row D Balcony available so that played a part!!! But I’m still hoping to try and get a standing ticket for Hayward and Bracewell on the 16th nearer the time. 
Because I would have to come up to London twice that week as on a Friday and will be in London on Tuesdays mostly after Christmas I decided if had to make a second visit perhaps I’d prefer to sit for that one whereas will be in London on the 15th anyway so easier to stay over and try to get a cheaper ticket for the Wednesday!! Sounds complicated and it is!! 
I did toy with the idea of perhaps waiting to see if they would release some cheaper tickets for the Kaneko Welcome matinee performance on the 19th if not sold out etc but decided that was the more risky strategy in the end!! 
Before the Pandemic I’d booked to see Hayward and Corrales but that didn’t happen so gifted that ticket ( among others) so although not dancing together I would like to see them both particularly Hayward but Kaneko was too much of a temptation too!!! So many good couples to see in Swan Lake and can’t wait for the summer with the Month in the Country triple and who they will cast etc. 

• Like 2

Kaneko and Bonelli would have been my 2nd choice after Naghdi and Ball, Lin, so that should be super.  I’m looking forward to “Month” too; I saw Lauren Cuthbertson’s Natalia Petrovna last time round, and she was sublime. 

• Like 3

I almost forgot General Booking opened today for the Royal Ballet's Winter Season but luckily managed to get tickets for the 10th March to see Vadim Muntagirov and Marianela Nuñez in Swan Lake and for a treat went for orchestra stalls seats, was all set to see them in the ballet last year till lockdown and COVID-19 happened, so making up for lost time!

• Like 7

I have a friend shorter than you Shade in fact we were only just talking about this today! She says she has so far never had a problem being shorter but of course could have just been lucky. Because you are standing you can usually see over peoples heads which you can’t always do when sitting!!! 
I try personally to avoid the first four or five places D1-4 and the four highest number places because the curve of the Grand Tier comes round low there but this could be a problem for taller rather than shorter people!! I’m sure you’d be okay but maybe some shorter people can advise! 

• Like 1

On 16/11/2021 at 20:32, WoodlandGladeFairy said:

I almost forgot General Booking opened today for the Royal Ballet's Winter Season but luckily managed to get tickets for the 10th March to see Vadim Muntagirov and Marianela Nuñez in Swan Lake and for a treat went for orchestra stalls seats, was all set to see them in the ballet last year till lockdown and COVID-19 happened, so making up for lost time!

I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time! I didn't book for Muntagirov / Nuñez this time around because I saw them in March 2020 from the stalls and, partly because of what came after, it's become such a special memory that I think I'll just leave it intact for now. (But I know myself... if anyone wants to get rid of some cheapish tickets on here closer to the time I'll probably snap them up). Instead I've booked for Kaneko & Bonelli and Takada & McRae. The latter on the basis of how special Takada's White Swan pdd was in one of the early post-lockdown gala style performances last year, I think with Campbell on that occasion? Very excited. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shade said:

Hi can anyone advise in the standing places that say not suitable for the short of stature - for someone of 5 foot 3 would that be a problem? I have not bought these in the last so have no actual experience of them. Thanks

I’m 5’ (and a bit!) and I have a problem with the far sides of the SC behind the tall seats D1-5 and 50-54. It’s also hard standing in the places next to the light box D26- 33 ish because the floor slopes so the leaning rail is too high - I rest my chin on it 😀. Otherwise the SCS standing places have a great view. I can’t see much from the balcony standing places so I avoid those.

• Like 1

Yes I’d only stand in the Stalls Circle area. 

I did once stand in the Balcony and was incredibly lucky as was in about one of two places there where the view is okay but made a mental note not to stand there again!! The view from Stalls Circle standing is really very good and for £10 you are standing behind people who have paid probably ( these days) over £100 for their seats!!

I would stand more often if they were not nearly always gone by public booking! I’d rather stand than sit in the Amphi! 
It’s a while since I last stood because of first badly breaking my ankle and now have a hip flexor lower back problem ( no doubt linked) but as soon as that’s cleared up will be very happy to stand again. 
I can’t deny it though row D in the Balcony is the most relaxing place to sit with a good view and nobody behind you ...nice and cosy... but has to be a bit of a treat cost wise but if you don’t go that often can thoroughly recommend to sit there. 

• Like 2

Thanks so much all who have replied to my question. That will really help with purchasing decisions. Trouble is so many couples I would love to see. Have seat booked for Naghdi/Ball at the moment having used one of the gift certificates from cancellations. Didn’t think I would see the day when an Amphi ticket costs nearly £100. 

goodness knows what prices will be for the Russian companies when they return to our shores!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Geoff said:

How come this event seems to have got its own booking date (or have I misunderstood)? Surely not because the Insight is on the magical palindrome 22.2.22 ?

Just this and the orchestra insight booking on these dates it seems..... https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/insights-the-orchestra-of-the-royal-opera-house-in-rehearsal-details

These appear to be "add-on" events and Spring booking for Friends starts on 25 January (General on 22 Feb) so perhaps they thought that wasn't enough time, despite both being in the Clore with it's restricted capacity?

• 3 weeks later...

additional events around the new Wheeldon "Like Water For Chocolate" 

Insights: Like Water for Chocolate – Origins and Choreographic Process

25 April 2022, 7.30pm   Insights: Like Water for Chocolate – Origins and Choreographic Process (roh.org.uk)

Insights: Like Water for Chocolate – Music and Design 

27 April 2022   Insights: Like Water for Chocolate – Music and Design (roh.org.uk)

Insights: Like Water for Chocolate – Towards Opening Night
28 April 2022  Insights: Like Water for Chocolate – Towards Opening Night (roh.org.uk)

Ticket sales begin 27 January (two days after Summer (?) booking opens)

Edited by oncnp

I assume booking fo

4 minutes ago, oncnp said:

additional events around the new Wheeldon "Like Water For Chocolate" 

Insights: Like Water for Chocolate – Origins and Choreographic Process

25 April 2022, 7.30pm   Insights: Like Water for Chocolate – Origins and Choreographic Process (roh.org.uk)

Insights: Like Water for Chocolate – Music and Design 

27 April 2022   Insights: Like Water for Chocolate – Music and Design (roh.org.uk)

Insights: Like Water for Chocolate – Towards Opening Night
28 April 2022  Insights: Like Water for Chocolate – Towards Opening Night

Ticket sales begin 27 January (two days after Summer (?) booking opens)

Thanks for the head's up; I wish the ROH would treat its friends and supporters properly and tell them about things like this rather than us learning through this forum.

I wanted to mention that I think booking is in line with booking for the relevant booking period - it's just that the premium 2 friends date and time has been missed off the list (which should be 25 Jan at 0900).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bangorballetboy said:

II wanted to mention that I think booking is in line with booking for the relevant booking period - it's just that the premium 2 friends date and time has been missed off the list (which should be 25 Jan at 0900).

Thanks. Missed that.

39 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Thanks for the head's up; I wish the ROH would treat its friends and supporters properly and tell them about things like this rather than us learning through this forum.

These insights are listed in the ROH Spring 2022 magazine - I received mine a few days ago but maybe yours has been delayed? I can't remember now when Like Water for Chocolate opens but I was a bit surprised to see all these Insights but no performance dates. I find the ROH booking periods baffling.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bridiem said:

These insights are listed in the ROH Spring 2022 magazine - I received mine last week but maybe yours has been delayed?

Being in the US, mine should be here about Easter 2022 😀

Edited by oncnp