Hammond finals 2021

Raquelle

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

We await the same e mail then. So they've given all to year 7's again. I guess it makes financial and logical sense to fill up year 7 first.  Congrats to all successful year 7's 😊

But why call any other yr groups in at all if that’s what they do? Gives false hope to the poor kids 

8 minutes ago, Mumof4monkies said:

No offer of bursary, scholarships or waiting list.....but shocked really. 

It’s really is bizarre this year we got a no to MDs but yes to a waiting list after MD’s auditions..... it’s really is bizarre.   Seems like they have really struggled with everything this past year reading through the post,  it’s a shame as the teaching staff are amazing as my DC has attended summers schools etc there and I’ve and I know children who are there now or have recently been.  
like others have said I know it seems it at the moment but it’s not the end of the world as my DC has now got the chance to pursue other options and is lucky to be able todo theatre and music tech at gcse level oh and drama and I’ve mentioned that they might be able todo dance as part of gcse PE 

2 minutes ago, Dancemumk8 said:

But why call any other yr groups in at all if that’s what they do? Gives false hope to the poor kids 

I'm only assuming they've given all to yr 7's.  Seems the case but I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, Dancemumk8 said:

Unfortunately that’s common i once attended another of the top schools whilst my child auditioned for a year 7 place and the principle gave the ‘parent’ talk and a parent asked about ‘assessing out’ and that’s when it came out ‘unfortunately we don’t assess out! so unless somebody leaves  then we don’t have the space!!  It’s not fair at all,  the system isn’t fair at all 

10 minutes ago, WrapsnBows said:

Unfortunately that’s common i once attended another of the top schools whilst my child auditioned for a year 7 place and the principle gave the ‘parent’ talk and a parent asked about ‘assessing out’ and that’s when it came out ‘unfortunately we don’t assess out! so unless somebody leaves  then we don’t have the space!!  It’s not fair at all,  the system isn’t fair at all 

Even in the schools that don’t assess out, there is still a lot of movement. We have seen lots of coming and going in DDs school. Sometimes circumstances change, not all children are suited to boarding, some decide the focus is not in line with their ambitions (ie too much ballet and wanting more ‘other dance’). Every year has seen new students join the school, despite not assessing out. Always apply, if that is what you and your DC want, and see what happens. It is definitely worth a try!

4 minutes ago, SissonneDoublee said:

Even in the schools that don’t assess out, there is still a lot of movement. We have seen lots of coming and going in DDs school. Sometimes circumstances change, not all children are suited to boarding, some decide the focus is not in line with their ambitions (ie too much ballet and wanting more ‘other dance’). Every year has seen new students join the school, despite not assessing out. Always apply, if that is what you and your DC want, and see what happens. It is definitely worth a try!

We haven't had any news yet, however we wouldn't change a thing. We always knew it was unlikely to get MDS with going for yr 9, but she had a fabulous time, got audition experience, got to dance in a studio for the first time in months and we had a lovely 2 night stay in a very nice hotel 😊. And if she's not successful she has an amazing life at home being home schooled and doing 6 ballet classes a week with the most incredible teacher who also teaches at the RBS.  If it's a no she'll obviously be devastated as this has all been initiated by her and it's her dream, however destiny works its way. They'll all get to where they are meant to, it just might be down a different path. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

We haven't had any news yet, however we wouldn't change a thing. We always knew it was unlikely to get MDS with going for yr 9, but she had a fabulous time, got audition experience, got to dance in a studio for the first time in months and we had a lovely 2 night stay in a very nice hotel 😊. And if she's not successful she has an amazing life at home being home schooled and doing 6 ballet classes a week with the most incredible teacher who also teaches at the RBS.  If it's a no she'll obviously be devastated as this has all been initiated by her and it's her dream, however destiny works its way. They'll all get to where they are meant to, it just might be down a different path. 

Have you heard yet? x

So sorry for those who haven't been awarded an MDS.  It is so tough, and disappointing, but remember that they were good enough to be invited to the MDS audition - that is a great achievement.  

Keep on going (if that is what your DC wants).  There is a lot of reshuffling at 16, and various funding options, so that is something to work towards for the older ones.

Please don’t give up hope - it’s still early days!  My dd was put on the waitlist for MDS funding last year (y7)!  The very next day she was offered the MDS.  When all schools have got their offers out things can start moving quickly!  Some of the current y7s were offered later in April too!

Your children have achieved so much by reaching the finals! Although it may be disappointing news - they are still amazing and there is always next year!  Good luck!

As @Betty’s mum said last year was a bigger y7 MDS group - it depends on how many were on MDS in the Y11 leavers!  

7 hours ago, Raquelle said:

Yes..yours?...she is thrilled but it is very far away for us so some big decisions x 

Congratulations - my dd is y7 and we live nearly 5 hours away!  It’s a fab school - my dd was one of the y7 helpers! Happy to chat privately if it is helps? 

• Like 1

We finally had an email from the school today. My daughter has not been offered a 6th form place at the moment but has been put on their waiting list. Congratulations to all who have had offers of mds fir their dc. To those still waiting.... everything happens for a reason & I'm sure your dc will  reach their dreams too. 

• Like 1

Hi guys , 

ive been reading this thread and I can definitely feel for you all . 
my daughter is PS1 at Hammond now and loves it . 
It wasn’t a straightforward journey , she applied for Sept 17 as a year 9 place 😳. We knew this was tough joining an already established year group but went anyway , 2 days after audition we got offered place , and back then she didn’t need to do recalls She got waiting list , lots of tears and stress but we got through it , and 2 weeks before they started back in September we got the call giving her MDS , we were shocked excited and even had more tears as she didn’t believe it , lots of rushing around and off she went . 
3 fabulous years and then more auditions for upper school , luckily she got a DADA immediately and loves every minute she’s there . 
My message is don’t give up hope , hang in there even if it doesn’t happen it’s never a no it’s just not yet . 
Good luck to you all x 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Dancemumk8 said:

Given covid restrictions we haven’t been able to visit the school or boarding houses, what are the boarding houses like? Have heard differing views!

The school moved to new boarding accommodation in September 2021, and whilst it isn’t as homely, it’s certainly more practical with all rooms having en-suite and year 10 and upwards having their own rooms. DD loves the school which has not only nurtured her love of ballet, but also helped strengthen other dance genres such as modern and tap. She also discovered she could sing! From year 10 they now have a choice of following a classical/contemporary or musical theatre/jazz route in lessons. I like the teaching staff on the whole and the headmistress and new head of boarding are very approachable and enthusiastic.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, margarite said:

The school moved to new boarding accommodation in September 2021, and whilst it isn’t as homely, it’s certainly more practical with all rooms having en-suite and year 10 and upwards having their own rooms. DD loves the school which has not only nurtured her love of ballet, but also helped strengthen other dance genres such as modern and tap. She also discovered she could sing! From year 10 they now have a choice of following a classical/contemporary or musical theatre/jazz route in lessons. I like the teaching staff on the whole and the headmistress and new head of boarding are very approachable and enthusiastic.

Thank you so much for your reply. This is very encouraging to read x

49 minutes ago, Dancemumk8 said:

Given covid restrictions we haven’t been able to visit the school or boarding houses, what are the boarding houses like? Have heard differing views!

My DD is in yr7 so this has been our first experience of boarding. She is an a room for 2, all have private bathrooms, access to a communal kitchen, common room etc. She absolutely loves it, they are encouraged to make their rooms a home from home and can basically bring anything they need. They are even allowed to change curtains etc. She has walls covered in pictures, LED strip lights even has a fridge, beanbags, plants.. it really is just like she would have at home. Boarding staff seem lovely & approachable. One thing that is so good is the houses distance from town. Pre COVID regs the girls & boys met up in Chester each Saturday after dance and are able to go off in small groups together. They grow up quickly, but in a secure environment. Any specific questions feel free to message me. I would say i can not honestly imagine anyone regretting choosing this school, I pinch myself every day when I think how lucky we are. Xx 

• Like 6