Sewing help!

Bluebird22

Hi, 

My lovely students are currently trying to learn how to sew their own ribbons and costumes, this is having varying levels of success. I have some great tutorials on how to sew pointe shoes etc but what they really need is a how to sew tutorial or video as their actual sewing skills leave a lot to be desired. I don’t have any time to sit and teach them but if I can point them in the direction of some sewing videos or guides I think that would really help! 

Thank you all in advance 

I keep trying to show DD how to sew... she has the basic idea but no patience or interest! ( and Pointe shoes are too expensive for her to practice on!!! ) 

She is taught to cook at school but not sew. 

I think she watched some YouTube videos for sewing (making a basic cushion type thing ) but I don't know links. Sorry x

When I searched Youtube for “sewing for beginners”, up came a load of videos on how to use a sewing machine.  So I searched “Hand sewing for beginners” which might be more useful to your students! 

Here’s a nice one showing the basic stitches:  

10 hours ago, HopelessMummy said:

This might show my age but I remember being taught sewing and how to use a sewing machine in home economics and art classes at school. Does this not happen anymore? Sorry can't help with sewing tutorials but I'm sure YouTube has a great selection that they can google

One school my ds went to offered textiles as an option but up until year 10 it was a 6 week course. They did more food tech and Design Tech. 

Some schools dont don’t offer it at all. 

1 hour ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

One school my ds went to offered textiles as an option but up until year 10 it was a 6 week course. They did more food tech and Design Tech. 

Some schools dont don’t offer it at all. 

"Bluebird22, "I'm curious as to how old are your students? If they are relatively young or if they are new to sewing I think it's very understandable that their sewing skills are not excellent yet. It's great that they are trying! It's also great that you are taking the time to help them find ways to improve their sewing! As I'm sure you know, any skill takes time and practice to learn amd master! 

I do not live in the UK, however my secondary school mostly followed the British academic system, and until Year 10 Design Technology which did include a sewing machine course was compulsory, as well as Food Technology. However, I'll admit I don't think I really know how to sew myself, and persnally I'm not sure a short sewing machine course would translate to excellent hand sewing skills, also some students have additional needs that may make learning to sew more difficult (but probably possible in many cases).

List of  sewing videos (I'm sure there are other sewing videos too): 

"How to Thread a Needle for Hand Sewing – Beginner Sewing Tutorial 1": https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S6u173Ap2mc

"Hand-Sewing | Basic Stitches and Techniques": https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1FknfumFPX8

"Learn How to Sew by Hand: Six Basic Hand Stitches": https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1FknfumFPX8

"How to sew ballet ribbons": https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8JF

"9 Simple Sewing Techniques To Enhance Your Dance Costume":  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9irRkC6K8fg

"EPISODE 9: Basic Stitching Method for Pointe Shoes": https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W-K3eJHuGJ4

"How To Sew Ribbons and Elastics on Pointe Shoes by Limbers Dancewear": 

Edited by DancingtoDance
  • Like 3

13-16 and I’m completely over the moon that they are starting to sew for themselves, they have chosen to give sewing a go on their new pointe shoe ribbons. The placing of the ribbons is absolutely spot on however the stitches are far too loose. I’ve suggested they practice basic stitches on an old pillowcase and then dismantle their old Pointes to practice on. From what I understand it’s not even their mums who have done the sewing previously it’s nanas. I’m no sewing expert I have just enough to get by!

• Like 1

We did sewing when I was at school but I was absolutely useless at it.  I can just about thread a needle to sew a button on, or repair a seam but I could not even begin to make my own clothes or sew ribbons on pointe shows.

I applaud your pupils Bluebird22.

• Like 2

My mum taught me to sew and I've taught our children. I also did a dressmaking course as a teenager which was invaluable. Most children we know look in horror when I suggest sewing something out of felt on a play date! They don't do much sewing at primary level these days and secondary is fairly minimal but they do basic things with hand sewing (sock monkey) plus make a bag or PJs and so on I think. I think it's a bit of a dying art these days as is cheaper to buy something than make something quite often.

When the 10 year old got pointe shoes the rule was that he was sewing them himself. Much easier to get children to learn when they're suitably motivated. (I can sew enough to do basic maintenance tasks and sort out pointe shoes, but it's not as if I was ever formally taught or would like anyone to look at my "handywork" close up.)

• Like 1

great to get them to do it themselves, I was very lucky and my mum taught me to sew. I am now normally the one sitting doing all the other ballet shoe ribbons for parents who can't sew (incuding sewing someone's during my daughter's exam for the exam after hers!)

nothing to add to help unfortunately but it really is just practice. One thing I have always done with ballet shoes is done them once, tied off etc and then sewn a second time (not as much obviously) so that if one lot of stitches did go there is a secondary one there which will support enough until the other can be fixed rather than the ribbon just fall off.

i have noticed lots of the mums in their 30s/40s can't sew so yes grandmas here too although we do have some dads who give it a good go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, invisiblecircus said:

Your 10 year old son dances on pointe?

Yes. Well, does basic exercises at the barre mostly, though he’s annoyingly capable of walking around on pointe while I can’t even get over my box properly. 🙄

• Like 1

Oh dear this thread brought back some awkward memories. I went to the kind of school that valued Latin over needlework and my mother refused to teach me to sew on the grounds that I was too clumsy. She was right as I am ambidextrous and equally appalling with both hands. When my dd went on pointe  I was rescued by a lovely fellow mum who helped me stitch the first pair. I then always kept an old pair so that I could copy it. And that’s a good way to teach a newbie. Happily my dd does her own now so I have been able to forget.

• Like 2

That picture Anna C posted brought back memories I seemed to be forever doing stitch practice or pencil cases! I definitely had two left hands where sewing was concerned.

It was never my strong point and by the time got onto something more complex like an apron I got way behind ....mostly talking to others, getting sent out of class for talking too much ( after several warnings) or spending ages in queues because I'd got my Cotton in a twist.

Basically I hated it except for one year when we were allowed to make a small stuffed toy and I made a bambi...took me a whole term and wasn't the neatest on the block but I did love that bambi! 

The following term it was back to aprons but a larger more decorative one and as a few of us talked and giggled our way through a term of sewing the sewing teacher ( who was actually a really nice lady and we must have been SO irritating) complained to the Head who made a group of us come into school one Saturday to finish off the work......you could do that in those days.

I mainly wear elastics on my ballet shoes but when I was performing with LAB a few years back we had to wear shoes with ribbons 

I had sewn them on before when very much younger but still went to YouTube to check it out and found the videos there extremely helpful. I'm sure there will be some there for sewing beginners though of course the material you use has its own lessons to teach you!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

Because the positioning of the ribbons is individual to each dancer’s foot?

Oh, I didn't realise that. From the audience they all look the same. (I have zero practical/technical knowledge of ballet, so I read this area of the forum to try to find out something about it.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Oh, I didn't realise that. From the audience they all look the same. (I have zero practical/technical knowledge of ballet, so I read this area of the forum to try to find out something about it.)

It took me about three tries to get my elastics and ribbons right. Lots of variables and experiment.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

Gosh, 10 is incredibly young.  Does his teacher know he's walking about in them?

He’s not doing much and well within his capabilities, fear not. And he’s 11 now.

• Like 1

On 14/08/2019 at 09:15, Jan McNulty said:

We did sewing when I was at school but I was absolutely useless at it.  I can just about thread a needle to sew a button on, or repair a seam but I could not even begin to make my own clothes or sew ribbons on pointe shows.

I applaud your pupils Bluebird22.

🤣🤣🤣

The day my DD says she will do her own sewing is the day I win a lottery ticket! 

• Like 2

On 14/08/2019 at 15:19, Colman said:

When the 10 year old got pointe shoes the rule was that he was sewing them himself. Much easier to get children to learn when they're suitably motivated. (I can sew enough to do basic maintenance tasks and sort out pointe shoes, but it's not as if I was ever formally taught or would like anyone to look at my "handywork" close up.)

It is so nice to hear of other boys training en Pointe. My 14 year old son got his first pair this year and loves them. 

• Like 2

I have to say that I disagree with sewing the ribbons and elastics only on the canvas, as I feel it makes the sides "gape" away from the foot.  I do tiny stitches to catch the very top of the draw-string binding, without touching the actual draw-strings. This ensures that the ribbons/elastics are snug round the foot.

• Like 5

I sew them on 3 sides to the canvas (using a short hemming stitch that doesn't go all the way through to the satin but which links the ribbon and canvas every few mm), and then catch the top to the inside top of the fabric cover of the drawstring, with a second strengthening row of similar stitches parallel; to these but at the bottom of the drawstring casing. Nothing goes through the fabric to the outside of the shoe.

I'm also a 'chain stitcher' for the front of the shoe, completely covering the satin on the end and the linking fabric down to the sole, in continuous hoops worked in opposite directions until the two 'ends' get close enough together for a continuous tear-drop shaped spiral.

I was taught to sew by my mother, who learned from my grandmother, and made all my own clothes except school uniform from the age of about 10 (I was better at it than my mother, and buying ready-made was too expensive for us at that time). progressed through ballgowns at university to costumes for DD, though i do draw the line at making 'normal' clothes these days, partly becuase - as others have said - it is now cheaper to buy ready made than make your own. DD can also sew - did Textiles GCSE, has made some of her own clothes  and is much better at e.g. machine freestyle embroidery than me - but is less good at hand sewing so I do her pointe shoes.

• Like 2

I had the luck to go to two schools that apart from having high academic expectations also taught us domestic science including sewing, so I have tried to pass these skills onto my youngest two daughters. The older girl did not have any instruction but went on to study Fashion Design at UWE, so if it is hand- dyed drapped silk with lots of trappings, Alexander Mc Queen style or  St. Laurent Paris catwalk stuff, she's your girl, except she is now in management on Bond Street and spend more time on the Eurostar to head office managing stock and events than designing. Unfortunately that hasn't helped with pointe shoes. practice skirts or tutu decorating..... that's all me and now the DD, whose eye for design and machine skills are improving all the time. We made four practice skirts just this week. Three for her and one for sale. We have ten more to do in our 'factory' line plus two tutus, and three neo- classical and contemporary outfits to finish in the next two weeks. We won't be putting Just Ballet out of business any time soon. It is more for learning and having Mum and DD time together. Plus we have a good source of lovely printed fabrics.

I did manage to find online a very old paper pattern for tutus of all lengths, and when I get enough time I plan to get it out. Until then I buy a plain new one and decorate. I started when I was helping out our local school and find it satisfying.  I need a proper manikin now that I can set to my DD's measurements so that when she is a 1000 miles away I can carry on working, or I only have the holidays to plan the next costumes.  

So  for those starting out, your skills and speed will improve but best of all don't get caught doing it all....Pass the skills on.  

• Like 2