Sewing help!

Bluebird22

On 19/08/2019 at 23:04, ParentTaxi said:

I sew them on 3 sides to the canvas (using a short hemming stitch that doesn't go all the way through to the satin but which links the ribbon and canvas every few mm), and then catch the top to the inside top of the fabric cover of the drawstring, with a second strengthening row of similar stitches parallel; to these but at the bottom of the drawstring casing. Nothing goes through the fabric to the outside of the shoe.

I'm also a 'chain stitcher' for the front of the shoe, completely covering the satin on the end and the linking fabric down to the sole, in continuous hoops worked in opposite directions until the two 'ends' get close enough together for a continuous tear-drop shaped spiral.

I was taught to sew by my mother, who learned from my grandmother, and made all my own clothes except school uniform from the age of about 10 (I was better at it than my mother, and buying ready-made was too expensive for us at that time). progressed through ballgowns at university to costumes for DD, though i do draw the line at making 'normal' clothes these days, partly becuase - as others have said - it is now cheaper to buy ready made than make your own. DD can also sew - did Textiles GCSE, has made some of her own clothes  and is much better at e.g. machine freestyle embroidery than me - but is less good at hand sewing so I do her pointe shoes.

Next stop Great British sewing bee?

On 19/08/2019 at 23:04, ParentTaxi said:

I'm also a 'chain stitcher' for the front of the shoe, completely covering the satin on the end and the linking fabric down to the sole, in continuous hoops worked in opposite directions until the two 'ends' get close enough together for a continuous tear-drop shaped spiral.

This sounds lovely - any chance of a picture? 😊

• Like 1

Aw I miss sewing dd’s shoes. I used to darn them and sewing ribbons was always straightforward but I did experiment with different darning techniques and preferred using curved needle. 

Unfortunately even at age 10 she was very stubborn and insisted on spending two days sewing her own ribbons on rather than let me do it in 15 min! Haha 

and talking of guys en pointe have you seen the Connor Mckenzie video ... wow! It was done in response to Lizzo asking for someone to do a ballet to her song as a #boysdancetoo celebration 

• Like 2