Dance bag recommendations?

Actsingdance

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DD has a black sports holdall-type bag. The main thing I look for is a side pocket so she can keep snacks/drinks away from smelly shoes! But I would also say that they are not very comfortable if you have to walk a distance, say from bus-stops to dance. Or if you travel a lot on public transport. If that is so, I would look for a backpack style. Move and Porselli have good ranges, but if you want something other than black or pink you may want to look outside dance shops. Here's the link to Move's: http://www.movedancewear.com/dance-bags/

• Like 1

we have these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261830563563?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D261830563563%26_rdc%3D1 and I am impressed with them - good quality and the lady who does them has been very helpful with my daughters' requests.

she has other designs of bag too, different sizes and styles - worth a look.

I just hope noone else at their dance school gets the same ones because I like the fact they are different and less likely to get mixed up.

A good way to make sure you can recognise your own bag is to put something distinctive through a suitable loop either on the handle or the zips.  A coloured ribbon, a key ring or similar!

I encourage pupils to do that too with their mesh pointe shoe bags so that they can easily identify their own.  They nearly all seem to choose black or pink bags so there are lots the same.

Edited to add second paragraph

Edited by Pas de Quatre
  • Like 1

I have been looking for a bag for a long time though that is suitable for a boy. Boys dance things seem to be very limited and all the dance bags I've seen are quite girly.

we have just bought DS one of these http://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/bags-rucksacks/ortlieb/ortlieb-duffle-bag-40l.htm (actually from a bike shop but this was the first link that came up with a picture). Can be bungied onto a bike rack, used as a rucksack and (having had ortlieb panniers in the past) is completely water resistant and virtually indestructable (my panniers are almost 20 years old, have been used pretty much daily, and are still immaculate).

I realise the price is eye watering but this is for DSs 18th just before he goes to Amsterdam and has to cycle to class in all weathers. So might not be quite what you are after....

Otherwise he just used a standard black rucksack from a local shop and this always served him fine...

• Like 1

DD's favourite bag broke recently and it's such a shame as it was the best one yet. She preferred one that had a handle to pull it along on wheels which was so much better if she had loads to carry somewhere and could put costumes, packed lunches and everything if needed in one bag rather than juggling bags.

I think I'll actually take it back to the shop to get a replacement handle for it rather than get a new one.

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought this amazing Capezio bag for my dd. really pleased. Lots of pockets and a good size!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/331611295560

That's the one faraway dancer and I were talking about! I have got it stashed away for DD's birthday. It will be great when she has to get the bus and walk a bit to the studio.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

when my capezio dance bag began to break recently i decided to get a normal big backpack online! i got a really nice big backpack with padded straps and although it is a little harder to get things out and in that a bag which you lay things next to each other in, i organised the inside and it stops me carrying unnecessary stuff in and is also easier to carry and hurts your shoulder less!

Edited by Guest

Unless you want something pretty with a ballet related design on it, I don't see any difference between a dance bag and a regular sports bag, they serve exactly the same purpose and there's a lot more choice when it comes to sports bags since it's not so niche!

I have a Bloch hold-all, but I only use it when I need to carry my Pilates mat as it's the only bag I can fit it in, otherwise I prefer to use a regular rucksack.

Edited by TabbyCool

Angel Dancewear have some nice dance bags

https://shop.angeldancewear.co.uk/dance-accessories/bags

Hello Angeldancewear and welcome to the Forum.

In accordance with the Acceptable Use Policy could I please ask you to add a signature to your profile?

Commerce There is no bar to people representing commercial ventures from signing up to BalletcoForum with a view to spreading information about their wares or offering relevant services. 

That said, we are not an advertising hoarding and repeated postings of the same or similar information will not be tolerated, nor frivolous posts which merely seem designed to get the company name ‘up there’. Nor will we allow vendors to use BalletcoForum as their shopfront: if you have a selling business you should use your own website for trade and market testing, not this one.

Members who have commercial interests must indicate that by adding a Signature line to their postings, stating the name and type of their business and giving their website and/or business email address for enquiries. (You set up a Signature via My Settings in the dropdown menu under your name.) If members wish to contact businesses, associate schemes or other commercial enterprises this should be done via the vendor’s website or email, not by starting threads on the forum.

Problems arising over transactions entered into between members are not the responsibility of BalletcoForum.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My DD is a minimalist (does not carry anything unnecessary). She has bought a normal back pack (properly sitting on her shoulders) from Sports Direct. Cost about £3 and had it for over a year now. I do not see the point buying something "ballety" ...bag is bag in my opinion.

Pfft, here is a rider to my rave about the Capezio convertible duffle... last week, just before ballet (OF COURSE) the zip pull came off entirely, and DD was panicking as her gear was all inside with no way to undo the zip! I forced it open, and now we have forced the zip pull back on and sewed behind it to anchor it. But after 6 months of use, I can't say I'm impressed. She has been using the backpack straps, but I think we would look at a normal backpack next time. The only trouble is that she will already be wearing one to school, so when she has dance straight from school, I'm not sure a second backpack will work. Maybe we'll end up with a wheelie case, even though the girls who use them always look Very Serious!

• 1 year later...

Hi All, can anyone recommend a well made high capacity dance bag, preferably one that is plain in appearance (and not pink). Its for a 16+ dd. Thank you

My dd had the wheeled Capezio holdall which was pretty good - plain black with red lining.  It sometimes tipped slightly on uneven kerb stones, and eventually the zip gave out (although the bag being stuffed full with foam rollers etc didn't help), but it lasted a good few years. 

Now she uses a black Adidas backpack which is also good. 

We've got an adidas hold all and a pineapple one. Only problem being everyone seems to have the pineapple one, so it gets lost in a big pile of bags! 🙈 Still end up without enough space tho, 4 different shoes, warm ups, etc etc... 

Mmm I'm glad someone asked this, a lot of the threads on dance bags seem to be from a few years ago and are a little out of date. Plus the pictures put online are normally less than ideal.

I am looking to purchase a new bag myself :) However, I'm slightly paranoid about water bottles spilling and pulling out a pair of sodden, mushy pointe shoes, the look of horror on my teachers face, the 'ka-ching' noise in my head when I think of trying to afford a replacement pair... With that in mind, do any of these bags have a waterproof pocket or something? Has anyone (or their DC) had a problem with leakage?

On 8/15/2017 at 15:30, Viv said:

Mmm I'm glad someone asked this, a lot of the threads on dance bags seem to be from a few years ago and are a little out of date. Plus the pictures put online are normally less than ideal.

I am looking to purchase a new bag myself :) However, I'm slightly paranoid about water bottles spilling and pulling out a pair of sodden, mushy pointe shoes, the look of horror on my teachers face, the 'ka-ching' noise in my head when I think of trying to afford a replacement pair... With that in mind, do any of these bags have a waterproof pocket or something? Has anyone (or their DC) had a problem with leakage?

have you considered looking at some of the bags designed as general gym bags or  even for triathlon etc , often with  shoe poacket,s messh pockers for  wetstuff / airing stuff ...

lookingat  dance bags sold by  dance brands  seems to be kaching time ...  ( same a miraculously   the same plastic  toolbox is twice as expensive in 'rescue orange' with  white  drawers/trays than in grey + grey or  brown and beige ... )

Hmm, yes.  What do you want to be looking for in a dance bag that's different from what a general gym or similar bag would have?  (I have no idea - I just used to stick my flats, bottle of water and so on in one of those brown Bloch bags until it wore through a while back - but then of course I'm not doing this stuff seriously!)  How're you going to hold it - shoulder strap, backpack, or ordinary handles?  I had a bag I used to use back when I did ENB classes which turned out to be uncomfortably long - it swung from side to side when held by the handles, and used to bash my legs.

I've looked at general gym bags as well but would still like to hear some reviews of them used for dance bags if anyone has them :) I tend to do most of research online but half the bags don't even have pictures of the inside, makes it hard to make a good assessment. Not sure about mnemo but I have no preference for a dance brand bag, anything that fits it all in will do! But if anyone here has found a bag, of any kind, particularly good, it would be nice to hear about it :)