Dance bag recommendations?

Actsingdance

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 14:42, Viv said:

I've looked at general gym bags as well but would still like to hear some reviews of them used for dance bags if anyone has them :) I tend to do most of research online but half the bags don't even have pictures of the inside, makes it hard to make a good assessment. Not sure about mnemo but I have no preference for a dance brand bag, anything that fits it all in will do! But if anyone here has found a bag, of any kind, particularly good, it would be nice to hear about it :) 

alas its not for me its for a teenager so appearance matters.. have been inveigled into purchasing a 'sports bag' from Victoria's Secret. Looks great has lots of pockets etc now lets see how long it lasts with daily use.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Pointetoes said:

DD has an Under Armour sports bag. It more like a large hold-all which has turned into a "Mary Poppins " bag. Nine months of continuous, daily use and it still looks like new. She does bag everything up : pointe shoe bag, soft block bag, food bag etc 

I was actually just looking at the Under Armour bags yesterday! Good to hear they hold up well. Do you know which one your DD has specifically? I also have bags within bags (pointe shoe bag, technique shoe bag, non-ballet shoe bag, character bag, scarf-and-skirt bag...) so it may work out nicely for me haha.

9 hours ago, Viv said:

I was actually just looking at the Under Armour bags yesterday! Good to hear they hold up well. Do you know which one your DD has specifically? I also have bags within bags (pointe shoe bag, technique shoe bag, non-ballet shoe bag, character bag, scarf-and-skirt bag...) so it may work out nicely for me haha.

She has the UA Big Wordmark Tote in purple. 

• Like 1

After years of disappointing dance bags, including the convertible Capezio one, I decided that sports bags would be tougher and we got the biggest Nike holdall DD can manage. It's hard to walk far with it, but it has a mesh pocket at one end where she keeps drinks, and a ventilated pocket at the other end where she keeps all her stinky shoes. We are also paranoid about liquids leaking onto shoes, after her IF exam pointe shoes acquired a blue stain from water leaking onto the blue fabric shoe-bag. So this bag keeps them well apart, and the main section has oceans of room for all her gear (Saturdays are the worst – she has private lesson, doing any selection of eight solos, then Pilates, followed by Grade 6, which requires character gear/chiffon skirt, plus all the usual first aid stuff, snacks, ballet/jazz flats and pointe shoes).

• Like 1

I'm definitely thinking a sports bag is the way to go, that Nike sounds perfect! Do you happen to know which one it was? I might have to go to a general sports store and have a look around. I'm finding Wednesdays particularly challenging, going straight from uni to dancing so having textbooks and laptop plus different uniforms for each class, different shoes, different skirts... I like the look of some of the Under Armour ones because they come with laptop pockets, but I'd need to win lotto first :lol:

It's a bit hard to tell but I think it's this one. The photo looks very like it – one end has a zip pocket with a row of holes punched in it, that we use for shoes, and the other end is just a mesh/net type pocket.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Nike-Air-Max-Team-Training-Duffel-Bag-Medium-Sports-Holdall-Gym-Travel-Bag-Navy/122657442451?hash=item1c8ef40a93%3Ag%3A6fEAAOSwsXFZKqOQ

Nike.png

• Like 1

I have to say so far I'm pretty impressed with the nike bags, especially considering the prices. If it holds up well with pretty much daily use, seems like very good value. Definitely going to take a closer at these :) 

• Like 1

Yup, DD got it for her birthday last October. I just checked and she is very happy with it. It even fits her foam roller and Pilates mat if needed. (In fact she could probably climb into it herself if we needed to check maximum capacity)

Just checked and the ventilated shoe pocket is currently comfortably accommodating three pairs of pointe shoes, one pair of demis (soft blocks), one pr jazz shoes, and two prs of ballet flats :D

Edited by Cara in NZ
Add info re shoe pocket
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Apologies if this is in the wrong topic, I’m quite new to this forum! I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a nice dance bag for my daughter, who starts JAs this term. I’d ordered one from Katz, which arrived this morning, but it’s gigantic, and looks ridiculous on her shoulder. Our local dance shop doesn’t have anything suitable, but I’m struggling online, as often measurements are not given. Ideally she’d like a shoulder bag, with a few pockets, big enough to fit in a character skirt, plus the usual ballet bits and bobs. 

Many thanks!

My daughter is a JA and has a Capezio bag. It's pink and black. In the larger top section to fits her folder, her character skirt which we roll, her ballet shoes and snack. In the smaller section underneath she fits her hair kit, character shoes and rolled up towel. 

https://www.movedancewear.com/accessories_and_bags_dance_bags-capezio_multicompartment_dance_gear_bag/1840/?sku=CA B122&gclid=CjwKCAjw8ajcBRBSEiwAsSky_RVoBm20rfg5hvLicDUZxvFu9djBrKmGO7wpiuqd1dtLJzwSgAQJ8RoCUWYQAvD_BwE

It did look a bit big to start with but she needs to space for when she goes to workshops down at Covent Garden so fit in lunch and props to. 

Edited by sunrise81

21 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

My daughter is a JA and has a Capezio bag. It's pink and black. In the larger top section to fits her folder, her character skirt which we roll, her ballet shoes and snack. In the smaller section underneath she fits her hair kit, character shoes and rolled up towel. 

https://www.movedancewear.com/accessories_and_bags_dance_bags-capezio_multicompartment_dance_gear_bag/1840/?sku=CA B122&gclid=CjwKCAjw8ajcBRBSEiwAsSky_RVoBm20rfg5hvLicDUZxvFu9djBrKmGO7wpiuqd1dtLJzwSgAQJ8RoCUWYQAvD_BwE

It did look a bit big to start with but she needs to space for when she goes to workshops down at Covent Garden so fit in lunch and props to. 

Thanks, will take a look. Perhaps the one we have will actually be ok after all. Can I ask what you mean by workshops? 

Each of the year groups get invited to RBS Covent Garden to do a workshop for the day with the rest of the JAs from all over the country in that year. Last year my DD in Year 4 did a workshop on La Fille Mal Gardee. Loved it!! At lunch they got to go over the bridge of aspiration and in to the ROH and watched the company in rehearsal and saw Steven McRae :)

I’ve just ordered DS a black Kavu sling bag from the US.

They have them on Amazon too, and look pretty good for throwing over the shoulder.

I struggled to find a boy ish one so I had his initials embroidered on with a graphic of a dancing boy.

Looks fab, and durable! 👍👍👍

My daughter has had this Bloch bag for a few years and really likes it. The 3 compartments are good for keeping shoes separate from clothes and hair/notebooks etc https://www.movedancewear.com/accessories_and_bags_dance_bags-bloch_multicompartment_dance_bag/2156/?sku=BL A310BLK&gclid=CjwKCAjw8ajcBRBSEiwAsSky_QOWLoLLnoGoVkRsQi4dZi9DCbyQ2HPq0-uyGBnxi-VMov29VpM-aBoCQDkQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

I've said this before, but over 10 years we have concluded that dance bags are just not very tough and rarely last more than a year (some even less). We finally opted for a dark Nike sports bag that has a ventilated compartment for shoes and a separate pouch for drink bottles. There are usually three top considerations (especially as they get older):
1. You don't want smelly shoes near snacks.
2. You REALLY don't want water bottles leaking onto pointe shoes or black character skirts whose dye may run into anything pink nearby
3. You need more space as they acquire things like foam rollers, sewing kits, first aid/pointe rescue items, ice-spray for sore bits etc etc. So go bigger rather than smaller but make sure the poor DC isn't staggering under its weight.
I think that's all!

• Like 2

DD has used a sports bag from Under Armour for the last two years ( including a year at voc 6th form). It is like a tardis in the The amount it holds but as a shoulder bag it isn’t too big especially as she is tiny. We gave up on “dance bags” years ago, they tend to be expensive and not particularly user friendly. As Cara said sports bags seem to tick all the boxes. 

• Like 3

On 01/09/2018 at 10:27, PetitJeté said:

Apologies if this is in the wrong topic, I’m quite new to this forum! I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a nice dance bag for my daughter, who starts JAs this term. I’d ordered one from Katz, which arrived this morning, but it’s gigantic, and looks ridiculous on her shoulder. Our local dance shop doesn’t have anything suitable, but I’m struggling online, as often measurements are not given. Ideally she’d like a shoulder bag, with a few pockets, big enough to fit in a character skirt, plus the usual ballet bits and bobs. 

Many thanks!

https://www.dancinginthestreet.com/Catalogue/Accessories/Dance-Bags/Tendu-T1029-Senior-Ballet-Bag

My dd loved the Roch Valley black holdall bag with 'Dance' written on the side, with swirls and butterflies. She had it for for years and years, and when it finally gave up the ghost she replaced it with another one the same. It has pockets at both ends big enough for water bottles to stay upright, and a long pocket down the side. The top opens wide as well, so you can fold up a character skirt and lay it in without it getting creased.

I remember when I was in school and my backpack would get so heavy that it would be a pain to take it from place to place. You got to be careful with young bodies especially those that are dancing. 

Also, if your looking for a bag for a boy dancer our site sells bags in colors other than pink, like blue and black. We have some duffles with pockets on the side and a few with "DANCE" on them. Our address is in my signature.

PittiJette; good luck to your daughter.

On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 12:12, Pixiewoo said:

DD uses a canvas tote bag with a selection of smaller zipped bags ( like makeup bags/large pencil cases/A4 size zipper bags she found somewhere! etc ) inside, with each class having its own 'bag' and then bags for hair stuff etc! 

Good idea - think we may well adopt that as the bag DD uses seems to have dance wear and shoes for every type of dance regardless of what class she is going to! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up going with this bag in the end because it was neutral colours, didn't have DANCE in pink glitter anywhere on it, but was designed with the dancer in mind 

https://shop.rad.org.au/collections/featured-items/products/youth-dance-bag 

It has been holding up very well, I use it 6 days a week, but I've only had it for 6 or so months. And was cheaper than both the Nike and the Under Armour I was looking at. Not sure about international shipping though? Rough dimensions are 50cm long by 35cm high by 40cm deep however it is very expandable. Almost empty it seems quite small and very light, but I was amazed at how much it managed to take for the mid-year dance concert, including five costumes (none of them with the same style of shoe) and an entire three drawer make up case. The entire top folds back and has a mesh pocket in it, currently holding three pairs of pointes, one pair demi pointes, one pair leather flats and one pair canvas flats without any problems (and keeps the smell from getting too bad). Mesh pocket at one end holds my water bottle, secure 'dry' compartment at the other, small zip pocket inside to hold my phone and large zip pocket on the outside holding sewing kit, first aid kit, two fascial release balls, three spanish fans, a journal, 4 pens... Perhaps it's time to clear my bag out.

• Like 2