Lower School Auditions 2016

balletmum20

I 'think' from talking to people who have had children at the school that the children take part in an assessment class during the Spring of Year 9 & are then informed if they are being offered a place to continue training in years 10 & 11.  A couple of years ago a forum member stated their child wasn't given a straight yes or no, but a maybe and they were re-assessed again later in the year.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone please explain to me how assessing out works at Elmhurst? For example, what years do they assess out in, how many typically leave, and what does the assessing out procedure mean. For example, are they "just" asked to leave or is the MDS removed (which amounts to the same thing for most of us I guess).

Thank you!

This year in year 9 we were given a pre appraisal meeting at which we were supposed to be informed of any potential issuesthat might mean they're not being an offer of further training. However in spite of assurances there were some surprises and some children have not been offered further training that were not expecting that result ..... Although there will be a reappraisal those children have been advised to audition elsewhere and the feeling is that the reappraisal will most likely produce the same result !

I think it is worth mentioning that the pupils get an appraisal every year at Elmhurst but the formal years for being assessed out are years 9 and 11. However if the pupil repeatedly doesn't achieve the expected level in the appraisals or end of term reports in the other years there will be a discussion involving parents, pupil and artistic staff about the suitability of the training and if the child might thrive better in another environment.

• Like 1

So glad all our auditions are done now! It's like a marathon, isn't it?

Hope all had a good day at Elmhurst today.

DD came out even more in love with it than before.

But I am trying to be pragmatic and prepare for all eventualities. There seemed a lot of girls there today!!

• Like 5

My DD is driving me to distraction!  One of the other girls apparently told her yesterday that the results would be out in 24-48 hours, even though no-one has told us anything and last year it was 8 days.  I've told her that it will probably be 8 days again and by post so to stop thinking about it until next week, particularly as she has her Dance House performances this weekend so really needs to concentrate on that!!  But she did have a fabulous day yesterday and didn't want to come home, unlike WL earlier this month.  She feels she did her best too which is currently good enough for me!! 

Hope everyone's DC had a great time up in Birmingham this week and I echo Billyelliott in getting out the G&T for the next week or so!! :-)

• Like 1

Good luck to everybody waiting!

Great to hear your DDs had a great time at finals!

Elmhurst students go home next Wednesday and I guess they will send the letters not later then Wednesday. Though it would be great to hear within 48h!

• Like 2

Yes, we were told by the woman who showed us round in answer to the question of when we would hear by that the school finishes term next Wednesday. We all took this to mean the letters will be sent by then.

I'm not sure how other children auditioning could have known for sure it would be 48 hours when the school wasn't telling the parents only implying letters would be sent by the end of term, so I would take that as audition gossip!

• Like 1

Well done to everyone who auditioned at Elmhurst this week! Dd loved it and could only hope in her wildest dreams she would be offered a place. Dds group were told she would hear next week, she was in group 2. She also, said there were 2 groups of year 7s one of which was her group had 8 y8s in, and 25 in each group, so 42 y7 girls, feel so proud she got this far and will be keeping our fingers crossed for them all! X

• Like 2

Yes, we were told by the woman who showed us round in answer to the question of when we would hear by that the school finishes term next Wednesday. We all took this to mean the letters will be sent by then.

I'm not sure how other children auditioning could have known for sure it would be 48 hours when the school wasn't telling the parents only implying letters would be sent by the end of term, so I would take that as audition gossip!

Don't worry the children may be going home on Wednesday , but there will be staff in the office over the holidays to send out letters etc !

• Like 1

Hi snowflake

My DD was in group one, they had 23 in total in there, and there were  4 or 5 year 8s in their group as well, so only 18 or 19 yr 7s in that group, so closer to 35 girls for year 7.

Glad your dd enjoyed it, mine loved it even more at the school this time than the last! I am trying to keep her realistic about the chances though. Ultimately all the children at finals are going to be talented dancers, but the panel will choose the ones they like most for all sorts of individual reasons, and there is nothing you can do about that!

Hi Amos73, so glad your dd enjoyed Elmhurst too, what a beautiful school. DD has been floating around on a high all today, she feels she's widened her horizons, raised her bar a little and has more confidence in herself, so all so positive regardless of outcome. She also loved meeting all the other little ballet dancers from all over the country.

That's not that many 35 oh my gosh they've done so well, so 1 in 3 of Y7 girls maybe will have their dreams come true next week how lovely, best wishes to each and every one of them X

• Like 8

That is fantastic Snowflake - your dd has come out of the whole experience having grown and learned from it, as you say whatever the outcome, and that is the bit we have no say over really.

I was sitting reflecting tonight with a glass of wine, over the crazy ups and downs of the last 5 months since we started on the audition merry go round, and I remembered her tears, her fears, her smiles and victories, her knock-backs, her getting back ups, her keeping going, and then her beaming face yesterday as she went off into the final audition at the school of her dreams with her head held high.

That is the thing that I will come away from this all remembering, no matter what happens.

• Like 9

Hi Amos73, so glad your dd enjoyed Elmhurst too, what a beautiful school. DD has been floating around on a high all today, she feels she's widened her horizons, raised her bar a little and has more confidence in herself, so all so positive regardless of outcome. She also loved meeting all the other little ballet dancers from all over the country.

That's not that many 35 oh my gosh they've done so well, so 1 in 3 of Y7 girls maybe will have their dreams come true next week how lovely, best wishes to each and every one of them X

That is fantastic Snowflake - your dd has come out of the whole experience having grown and learned from it, as you say whatever the outcome, and that is the bit we have no say over really.

I was sitting reflecting tonight with a glass of wine, over the crazy ups and downs of the last 5 months since we started on the audition merry go round, and I remembered her tears, her fears, her smiles and victories, her knock-backs, her getting back ups, her keeping going, and then her beaming face yesterday as she went off into the final audition at the school of her dreams with her head held high.

That is the thing that I will come away from this all remembering, no matter what happens.

What really lovely posts. Wishing everyone the very best of luck. :-)

• Like 7

My dd had a lovely day at elmhurst too and would love more than anything to get a golden ticket to go there. She said everyone in her group was really fabulous. She gave it her best shot but is not too hopeful especially for a place higher up in the school, I won't go into reasons why, but is adamant she will go through it all again next year! I'm not sure my nerves can take it. It's an amazing achievement for all our children to make these finals and I keep reminding her how incredibly well she has done this year. The best of luck to everyone, we will be doing some serious finger crossing! X

• Like 3

Ah, ok thanks all. I just wondered how tricky it was to get to finals for yr 9 Elmhurst. We cancelled on the morning of the 1st audition (DD - illness free all winter - had a raging temperature!). The rearranged audition was almost as disasterous, arriving after midnight due to roadworks and because I had to work. It just wasn't meant to be!

Good luck all!