Lower School Auditions 2016

balletmum20

Perhaps Tring wait until they know a bit more information about more of their students and do it all at once instead of Drip feeding information out. There are royal finals this weekend, elmhurst finals next week, not sure about ENBS finals, but soon. Then of course Tring is a very busy school - in this very short half term there are assessments classes, assessment solos, rehearsals for school show, rehearsals for Royal Albert Hall show this weekend and the Eve Pettinger Gala. And probably more that I'm unaware of. While there are staff allocated to different things there are only so many hours in the day and the head of dance keeps very close control over everything it appears. There is definitely room for movement on the MDS front at Tring, not only with the year 7's deciding their favourite school but also year 11's making career defining decisions.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crossing fingers??

Sorry that sounds facetious..... I would think they must be technically and physically sound to get that far. So maybe performance etc? It must be about trying to stand out from a very talented crowd.

Good luck to everyone going.

• Like 2

Confidence is where I've focused tonight! Crossing fingers is also a very valid point (but I shall just teach that to the mums!)

I actually feel more nervous for my students than when I used to audition. It's madness, exam days, audition days, results days

• Like 2

I do get incredibly nervous for them, exam day most parents have one child doing exams so they just have nerves for their child, I have however many entries to feel nervous for.

Thankfully I'm relatively anonymous here so I'm not too ashamed to admit, if your child has had bad news and they are upset I can pretty much guarantee I've gone home and been upset for them.

Part of it is that teachers feel responsible, but we actually GET it in a way I don't think non dancers can understand!

Constant emotional roller Coaster!

• Like 5

I do get incredibly nervous for them, exam day most parents have one child doing exams so they just have nerves for their child, I have however many entries to feel nervous for.

Thankfully I'm relatively anonymous here so I'm not too ashamed to admit, if your child has had bad news and they are upset I can pretty much guarantee I've gone home and been upset for them.

Part of it is that teachers feel responsible, but we actually GET it in a way I don't think non dancers can understand!

Constant emotional roller Coaster!

I don't think students and parents always realise just how much we teachers care. Oh the sleepless nights I've had.....

• Like 4

I thought there were 14 already in year 7 and 8, so are they going to 15 potentially then? At the audition insight day we went to in October Mr Powney did say they could take up to 15 in a year.

So the maximum numbers at WL used to be 12 girls and 12 boys in years 7&8 and then 14 of each in years 9-11. Sometimes they flexed these numbers between years or girls/boys but the overall maximum stayed the same and was based on the number of MDS places available I.e. every place was MDS funded (unlike Elm, Tring, Hammond).

If there is now capacity for 15 boys and girls in each year, that's an overall increase of 18 places across yrs 7-11. Wonder how these will be funded or will WL now be going down the same route as Tring etc where there are a number of places only available if you can afford full fees (around £33,000)?

Surely anyone not accepting their MDS for lower school will go to those on the reserve list that had been ranked, otherwise it's pretty unfair since the funding was supposed to be for the 60 children there that were considered classically talented?

• Like 1

Hi everyone, can anyone remember how Elmhurst informed you of finals results last year ??

Was it by email or letter and did the results come through fairly quickly ??

Thanks x

We got ours by post last year and I think it was roughly a week after the auditions.  Certainly we had them just before the end of term as my DD went into school upset and didn't want to tell anyone.  By the time the holidays were over, she had resigned herself to her result and determined she would carry on auditioning until she got in.  So here we are a year later, and I'm waiting for next week to be over and done, even though I'm really nervous she will psych  herself out again as she did at WL last week...

Good luck to everyone at Elmhurst next week, hope your DC all do well (although also hoping my DD gets a place!!!)

Thanks DanceFanatic ......know how that feels !!

My DS has been trying to work out what he should be doing differently since his no's from WL & Tring. He's lucky to have Elmhurst & Hammond still to aim for ...... It's hard to watch them put their heart & sole into something - to get a no & with no feedback as to what to try & improve on. Let's hope some of these DC get a 'yes' this time !!!

Good Luck to your DD & everyone else ????????????x

• Like 3

Ballet4Boyz, don't lose heart.  One of my daughter's friends got a No from WL and Tring funding auditions last year but she did get offered a place at Elmhurst.  And from what I can gather, she is enjoying it there, albeit with expected bouts of homesickness, and it was actually her preferred school before all the finals took place anyway.  And, as you know, there are numerous stories on here about children who didn't succeed the first or even second year of trying but have gone to do great things with their dancing.  When the time is right for them, they will get there.  Unfortunately we just don't have a crystal ball able to tell us when it is the right time - would be so much easier if we did but then I also believe that the no's at this stage really do help weed out those DC who really want it versus those who aren't really that sure and are perhaps only caught up in the perceived romance of it all, if you know what I mean.  Certainly, talking to a friend the other day whose elder daughter used to swim competitively, every no she got along the way, as well as the yes's, have helped her grow up into a very level headed young lady where not a lot phases her compared to her direct peers.

• Like 2

......you are so right & I've told my DS the same. Every 'no' although upsetting at the time is good preparation for the future as it's something they have to learn to deal with !!! Good preparation for life in general too !!

Good Luck - your DD must be motivated & strong to go through it all again. I really hope she gets a yes x????????????????????????????????????

• Like 2

you and me both Ballet4Boyz!  Not sure I can keep going through the highs and lows of audition season for a fourth year in a row, if I include her initial JA's audition.  Plus she's got her MA's assessment in late May and a pathway meeting at Swindon Dance Academy over the Easter holidays (not quite sure what the latter entails though but it's part of her Steps2 class stuff!)....  Sometimes I think she's stronger than me!

Dear worried Mums, keep smiling and stay strong, it will be over soon. Just to let you know that at my DS JA centre 2 boys and one girl got into WL and they are not planning to attend Elmhurst finals. Tell your DC to enjoy it. I'll be thinking of you on Monday and Tuesay (who knows it might be my DS at finals next year!). Good luck!

• Like 3

........well my DS is hopeful that some of his main rivals re other boys may not attend Elmhurst LOL

????????

He knows he isn't quite as accomplished as some other boys as he hasn't had any associate training but given a chance I know he would work his socks off ........ Really wish all the DC best of luck for Elmhurst !!

• Like 2

Don't worry - I have always seen couples there - I don't think you'll be turned away. They are lovely there. Personally bearing in mind the distance people will travel and the potential significance of the day I would expect most parents would like to go as a couple - if they could of course. Work and siblings often prevent it.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I would like to wish good luck to all dancers attending Elmhurst in the next few days. My little man was lucky to be offered WL earlier in the week, so we decided that it wouldn't be right attending any other auditions. Hope you all sparkle!! x

• Like 8