Lower School Auditions 2016

balletmum20

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, I'm new to this whole ballet auditioning process. We are also waiting for those results to land on our door step. My daughter was told she needed to excercise her calf muscles as they are a little bit stiff so I took that as a bad sign!

I'm quite surprised that the physio was giving feedback like that during the ssssion. Is that what normally happens?

they didn't mention anything to dd she said.

Apparently on the back of the form they had to fill in while they waited was a picture of a human body and the physio would then mark things on it as they tested. And there was something along the lines of 'excellent screen' fair screen' and 'fail screen' which I'm guessing was the physios overall assessment to tick!????????????

My daughter said she couldn't see what the physio was writing as she had her face to close to the clip board lol. I don't know if it's normal practise to give feedback or if it was just a passing comment! Still don't know ifs it's a problem though!

• Like 1

Yeah I asked mine if she could see anything she had written but she said she couldn't!

So hard to know and easy to read things into every little passing comment or smile or frown isn't it? I guess unfortunately we can only speculate and wait for the results!

I would say it doesn't sound too serious, tight calves just need regular stretching.

It does seem to be normal practice to tell them ..... Dd was told she had stiff big toes , no idea if this is a game changer

I think the physio is looking for things that are more major that would hinder their training in the long run.

A lot of minor things can be worked out with the correct exercises.

• Like 1

My dd is Prone to tight calves but stretches them every day and always after class and then they are ok. It's quite common for dancers to have tight calves. Just needs regular maintenance.

And yes this time next week it will be over - hurrah! X

• Like 1

My DD was also there on Tuesday and was also told her calves were slightly tight , they also said that they thought this was due to. Growth spurt she was having . She's took this also as a bad sign so doesn't expect anything positive , she was in group 2 and said how wonderful everyone was , though there was 8 people that seemed to be on the judging panel watching . She loved her day though and that's the main thing xx

• Like 1

Hi Lou78, my dd was in group 2 too,is your dd y7? my dd said she thinks the physio were giving all of them some helpful feedback, sometimes at their age I think their bones grow faster than their muscles too and it's useful to stretch until they catch up X

Edited by Snowflake
  • Like 2

Hi, I am also new to ballet forum, although have been watching in the wings. Thank you all for sharing so much info. My DD auditioned for yr7 on Tues but was so poorly cried on way out as she felt so ill. She was really disappointed with her audition, she said she could have done better, so we are not hopeful of a place now. Just when I thought we were prepared for the worst, I said to her "it just isn't meant to be" and she said " but it is" .. my heart sunk...She is usually very realistic, like when she didn't get finals for RBS. Now we are back to square one. Need those results Mon so can move on one way or another. Good luck to everyone else's DC. Unfortunately some will be disappointed this time. Try and try again is my motto. My DD will try again next year if not successful.

I probably think we're stressing about the physios comments as at this point they surely must be looking for potential over anything else as all the dancers are so physically immature so who know how they will change in the next 4/5 years. I'm hoping the physio was just ruling out any major problems.

TBG hopefully your daughter did better than she thinks, fingers crossed for them all. What will be will be. They are all so hard on themselves but need to realise how far they have actually come and should be proud of themselves.

Edited by Dreamer123
  • Like 2

My DD is quite tall so has also had moments of questioning her ability. Every time they have a growth spurt their muscles change and also affects centre of gravity all with adjusting to a new height! Hopefully she won't grow too much more.

TBG my DD teacher says that this will happen to all children when they have a vast growth spurt and that it will be taken into account as its a normal part of their development.. My DD isn't very tall and grows quite slowly so doesn't loose any strength but doesn't seem as flexible as others! She has to work to be bendy whereas I see some of them wrapping their legs around their heads ten times over lol.

One of the hard things with growth spurts is when they grow lopsided too! DD was told last autumn she had grown more on one leg than the other by physio she had been seeing for a bit, but now it seems evened out again. The physio said exactly that - they can lose flexibility and or balance/co-ordination during growth spurts. I'm sure that is taken into account by any audition panel etc.

We have the same problem with the growth spurts TBG I can sympathise there 3 inches since September. At gymnastics her coach said she'll stop growing young as she started developing early they consider these things carefully before they let them onto advanced level squad, also thankfully she is small boned so her body weight to strength ratio is good and she has good natural bounce. I think she'll be fully gown at 13 and we are both tallish too! I have told her Darcey Bussell is tall so she shouldn't let it put her off X

Edited by Snowflake

Try not to worry about the physio - they are only checking for major red flags such as very restricted turnout, severe leg length discrepancies, tight ankles perhaps or severe scoliosis. They will only use the screening to rule out a dancer in these cases. Most of the time it's easier to do the screening now rather than in September when there's so much else going on. I guess if the panel were torn on two or three candidates then maybe they take the physio screening into account to help decide.

• Like 4