Lower School Auditions 2016

balletmum20

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello know I'm the first to post results for the girls but can't help it...oh my word my dd has been offered a place at WL despite no finals at Elmhurst and an unfunded place at Tring.......it's only due to this forum that she kept going at all after her initial disappointment....I know this is just the start of a very bumpy journey but again...Thankyou ballet mums!

• Like 40

Hello know I'm the first to post results for the girls but can't help it...oh my word my dd has been offered a place at WL despite no finals at Elmhurst and an unfunded place at Tring.......it's only due to this forum that she kept going at all after her initial disappointment....I know this is just the start of a very bumpy journey but again...Thankyou ballet mums!

What lovely news - Congratulations!! and doesn't it show that they all all looking for something different x

• Like 1

Does White Lodge have a waiting list/reserve list or similar? I know of one girl about 4 years ago who was offered and accepted a year 7 white lodge place but doubts began setting in on the last day of primary school, they still purchased uniform etc but by the end of the summer holidays she was too upset at the prospect of leaving home so she ended up not going!

Surely no matter how prestigious a school some children decline their offers in favour of schools they preferred or because once the reality of leaving home sets in, it's just too much for both them and their families?

Aklf and Sugarpumpkin - huge congratulations to your DDs!

Sorry to hear about "nos", keep dancing and keep trying!

BlueBird22 - I know about one girl who was on the WL reserve list last year (she ended up going to another Voc. School) but I'm not sure if they have reserve list every year.

And of course for some WL isn't a first choice school so there might be some movement on the waiting list (if there is one this year).

Congratulations to those with a yes, what lovely news and I'm sure your going to have some very happy children this evening!!

And to the no's, don't let it full your sparkle, remember it's only a no for now and only for that particular school, good luck to those with results still to come and audition still to attend xx

Thanks so much to all the mums on this forum for sharing each other's journeys . For anyone who received a no this time keep going , the story of Tierney heap is a great inspiration. She got a no to white lodge , did three years at Elmhurst, went back to normal school and centre pointe to train for a further two years ,got a yes to upper school and is now a soloist aged 22 with the Royal ballet company . I'm delighted with the yes for my own dd for year 7 today , any other mums with children going in year 7 please get in touch xxxx

• Like 22

I remember very clearly the feeling 9 years ago when my daughter didn't get into WL and I had to tell her after school with a visit to the village newsagent on route home to soften the disappointment (for me as well as her). I felt horrid for days but it got better! I kept asking myself what was wrong with her. iIn my experience children normally bounce back better than the parents .Anyway all in the past and despite not going to Royal in year 7 and not even getting finals for Upper school (that wasn't a good day either!) she is now a company dancer with BRB. Looking back there was a bigger picture..... Many congratulations to all those with a yes but to  those with a no, remember bigger picture........

• Like 28

Follycat your story is a perfect example of looking at the bigger picture and thank you so much for sharing it with us!! May I ask did your dd go to vocational school at all or was she locally trained then, only asking as you only mentioned year 7 and US auditions :)

That's fantastic follycat! Any classical dancer would give their eye teeth to work at BRB. While wonderful for some, RBS is not the answer for everyone.

Edited to say, my ds is having a challenge ATM which he can do absolutely nothing about. All I can say is keep the bigger picture in mind and keep going.

Edited by Harwel
  • Like 1

Hi Lema,

Yes she was fortunate to get into another vocational school and plodded her way through and then to our delight was offered a full time contract with BRB at the start of her graduate year. Looking back RBS would not necessarily have suited her and despite getting an offer at 16 of another London School, she decided to stay where she was where she thrived. Despite what some company programmes have you believe, not all UK students followed the RBS path...

• Like 9

What a lovely story and a massive achievement for your daughter!! BRB is a fantastic company and actually is the only company me and my dd have ever seen!! I think there is no set path to the end goal and we all have to do what is best suited to our children, who they are, how they work etc and if it's meant to be it will be!! I hope your daughter is very happy at the BRB, you must be incredibly proud and maybe me and dd will be watching her one day :)

• Like 2

So the dc that have been offered wl will they still attend elmhurst finals?

I think that last year the majority (or half?) of those with WL places attended finals at Elmhurst. Some did as were told it will be rude not to, some weren't sure which school to choose, some just wanted to see if they get in and wanted to be seen by the school in case they are assessed out of WL one day. So lots of different reasons. There were some DC who, as soon as offered a place at their favourite school, didn't attend any more auditions.

I know of 3 girls and one boy who got in from the waiting list last year at Elmhurst. 3 of them knew within a week (after others deciding to go to WL or Tring). Last one didn't know until May!

Edited by Happymum
  • Like 1