Lower School Auditions 2016

balletmum20

I think that last year the majority (or half?) of those with WL places attended finals at Elmhurst. Some did as were told it will be rude not to, some weren't sure which school to choose, some just wanted to see if they get in and wanted to be seen by the school in case they are assessed out of WL one day. So lots of different reasons. There were some DC who, as soon as offered a place at their favourite school, didn't attend any more auditions.

I know of 3 girls and one boy who got in from the waiting list last year at Elmhurst. 3 of them knew within a week (after others deciding to go to WL or Tring). Last one didn't know until May!

Im sorry for posting twice! Not sure how I did it, just wanted to correct spelling!

Edited by Happymum

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how many get reserve but my DD got a straight no from Elmhurst finals last year (we're hoping for better things this year, having been invited to attend finals again).  And, as Happymum has already said, there were several children there on the day who had offers from WL who attended for a variety of reasons.  My DD did then get her MAs place once the shuffling around with vocational places started and then this year finals for WL and Elmhurst

Thankyou very much for all your congratulations..especially from the other finalists ....just want to add good luck for any DC attending the Elmhurst finals....and big hugs to the dc with the nos...dd has been there and will undoubtedly have to face many nos again in the future . As always ,amazed at the resilience and bravery of all dc who put themselves through this! Xx

Well done to the yeses and thinking of those with a no. I guess most of us on here knows how it feels, it's one heck of a journey! Surely those that have their mind and heart set on WL and have been given places now won't go to others finals??? If you know you are saying a definite yes to Wl then I don't think I would put myself through any more !

If you have a WL offer which you plan to accept, it seems unfair to go to other auditions and waste everyone's time. Assessors will spend time assessing a child who has already decided to go elsewhere when they could be spending more time assessing the children who really want the place.

The idea that you should go in case you get assessed out of WL is frankly ludicrous. You will have changed considerably both physically and as a dancer by then as it will be at least 2 years on (WL don't assess out in yr7 anymore) and the other schools will assess you at the time should it happen.

• Like 4

But surely it`s the right of the child and their parents to attend whichever auditions they want,and however many they want? If they are talented enough to be offered numerous places it`s hardly their fault,is it?

• Like 7

But surely it`s the right of the child and their parents to attend whichever auditions they want,and however many they want? If they are talented enough to be offered numerous places it`s hardly their fault,is it?

I agree and it doesn't affect whether other children get offers. Certainly last year we were in fortunate position of multiple offers including WL and although my dd was pretty certain about going to WL, she hadn't ever really had a good look around Elmhurst so she attended the audition just to make sure that she was making the right decision for her.

A huge well done to the yeses and commiserations and keep going to the no's - don't forget there are many routes to the end destination.

• Like 5

Yes it's fine to go if you're undecided, but if you know you definitely want WL, what possible benefit is there in continuing to go to other auditions?

And it does affect offers as they may make an offer to a child who has already decided that they are going to WL which means that somebody else gets pushed onto the waiting list. Someone who may have got waiting list may get pushed off to nothing. All these things may work through in the end but can affect a child in the mean time.

Edited by tabitha
  • Like 7

I agree with @tabitha. If you already got offer for your 1st choice, then is better to give other children to have a last (for some) and only chance. We got 'yes' today for Wl and cancelled other audition, as Wl was our 1st choice, full stop.

Congratulations for other yes'es. Don't give up for very talented DC with 'no'! And a lot of good luck for those who have further auditions!

• Like 14

I agree .....of course every child is entitled to audition wherever they like, and some children are undoubtedly so talented that they will receive multiple offers. To be honest - I do also agree with Tabitha that if we were in the fantastic position of securing an offer at our first choice of school - then we would not attend other auditions in order to give other less fortunate children an opportunity to shine. Maybe it does all work out in the end - but some children are desperate to be given a chance & don't have many options left. Only my opinion and if a child is unsure of which school then of course - they should apply to as many as they wish .

• Like 4

So some get a straight no after finals? Do you know how many got reserve

A few years ago there were 6 girls on the waiting list but iI is less of a list, more of a pool. When places become available, they review the video footage and decide which of the waiting children to offer to. This is what I was told by the registrar ( although that was a few years ago so subject to change)

Pictures is right we all have different reasons why we do and don't do things.  WL although the pinnacle for many maybe isn't necessary the best or the right place for all our DDs. 

I do understand the parents comments though it is a desperate time hoping your little DD will get spotted.  Fingers crossed for you all and remember that there is always next year!

• Like 1

I'd like to add my congratulations to all the yes's - exciting times :D for those of you with a no, it really isn't the end. Vocational schools up and down the land have many DC in their upper schools that didn't go away at 11,12,13,14 or 15 - these children are not significantly "behind" and have enjoyed a different kind of childhood (all be it a dance focused one) Please don't panic , make the use of good local training, accessible Associate programmes and the best Summer schools that you can access, with a view to trying again when your DC are ready. Above all enjoy having your children close, once they're gone they have gone and life changes. Best wishes to all on the audition merry go round.   

• Like 17

Peoples reasons for attending or not attending an audition are so incredibly personal & unique that I don't think we should be critisising anyone's decision.[/quote

It does all work out in the end.

I don't what anyone thinks of the way I have approach results this time (4th time I have been through all this) it could be useful to some of you.

When dd auditions there will only have been 2 finals therefore there will be young ladies in her audition that will get multiple offers.

A no is straightforward but she knows a wait list is just that and that some of the students will definetly turn down their place .

I sure some of you are thinking well yes what's your point but do your children really understand that this does happen a lot!

I have drummed this into my daughters head that's whilst an outright yes would be wonderful she would still be happy to be in with a chance.

For all you new mums on here my dd got her MDS 6 days before the start of term .

Here's hoping everyone ends up with somewhere even if it's not the place we all set off to in the beginning .

• Like 6

I haven't heard of any yr 9 places . Sometimes they don't take any , I believe .

I'm sure she will be offered a mids place ?

Or is she going to Elmhurst finals too ?

She is clearly talented to have got so far .

Best wishes

Tutugirl

We got the MA result last year around 4pm on 30th March.  We got a phone call with a place offer in early June (my DD was short listed) after a lot of the vocational school shuffling had sorted itself out, even though there was still shuffling going on in July from memory.

Can anyone remember when MA offers come out? I know it was March sometime.

We have been informed that it will be April this year when the mid and senior associates results are released.

Good luck to everyone waiting! X