Lower School Auditions 2016

balletmum20

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely there may be some girls and boys there that had Wl offers and may also get elmhurst offers. So surely elmhurst will be expecting some to say no and want to make offers to others. Or will they just wait till after the Easter hols now and shut down completely? I wondered if there may be some staff still there?

Thinking of you all. 

I so clearly remember both of our episodes of waiting for lower school results despite them being about 12 and 9 years ago.  WL for year 7 - when our letter was a day later than everyone elses (as far as I knew - there were barely any dance parents on the forum then and no Facebook - we relied on ringing eachother up lol) and I laid in wait for the postie, acosted him in the street and shook as I realised it was a "big envelope" - reading that letter goes down as one of my happiest ever memories.   And then Elmhurst for year 9 when I was almost more nervous because my son had been assessed out of WL so it felt so much more important to him.  I cried with relief when I read that one!  I have a terrible memory generally for things, but I can clearly recall every sight and sound of those two moments.

Congratulations to all those of you who already have offers, good luck to those still waiting, and commiserations to those with "no"s - whatever happens at this stage, you don't know what lies ahead - it's a magical mystery tour (or a scary rollercoaster, depending how you look at it). 

• Like 11

Surely there may be some girls and boys there that had Wl offers and may also get elmhurst offers. So surely elmhurst will be expecting some to say no and want to make offers to others. Or will they just wait till after the Easter hols now and shut down completely? I wondered if there may be some staff still there?

There is likely to be some movement once all the offers are out balletqueen.  But it takes a little while to sort out while the schools wait for people to reply and then they can contact those on the waiting list. 

Oh Jenny ......I'm so so sorry !! Give your DS a huge hug & tell him it's such an achievement to get this far - I know it's so upsetting to see your DC so disappointed , a lot of us have already been there & it's awful at the time. Tell him to never give up - this is exactly what I'll be telling my DS later if it's a no !! Big hug x

• Like 2

Perhaps book in a private lesson with his local dance teacher just to boost his confidence again. Sometimes a friendly face and a reminder of how incredibly talented he is softens the blow. Just to get to finals is an incredible achievement!

• Like 1

I just feel so very sad for him. I am sure you can all empathise. He has worked so incredibly hard. I also think it will be the beginning of the end for him which again makes me very sad. He will be going to a very academic grammar in September and he/we just can't commit to the same level of training that he has been doing this year. We made a commitment this year to take every opportunity we had but we live over an hour away from the associates programs he attends and with 3 other dc it has put a massive strain on our family.

Good luck to everyone else. I am going to step away now but a huge congratulations to all who get a yes and commiserations to those with a no x

jennyboydance, I too am sorry to hear your news.  Step back and take stock.  It really doesn't have to be the end, particularly as your son's talent and drive (as well as your's) have brought him so very far.  We were in your shoes last year (and might be again should our postman ever deliver, he's always really late!) and my DD has made a lot of progress in both her dancing and her handling of things.  We have managed to keep up with associates (a 2-hr drive away) plus additional class options and the move to our local secondary school which resulted in two finals this year as opposed to just the one last year.  And if she gets a No again this year, we are looking at moving dance school locally (her teacher's recommendation as she says she can't push her forward enough any more) as she is still adamant she will be a dancer, no matter what.

Sending you and your DS massive virtual hugs.  At least the agonising wait is now over, just eat lots of chocolate and enjoy lots of family time over the Easter break. xx

Edited by dancefanatic
  • Like 2

Hi Jenny , just wanted to say - I think every parent here will totally empathise !! We are in the same situation as you in that with working full time, other children & family to consider and not living very close to associate centres it will be so difficult to maintain the level of commitment to his training as we have this year. I feel so sad for you and your DS but really hope he finds a way to keep dancing if he wants to, as he must be a very talented boy to make it this far. Someone said on an earlier post - there are many roads to Rome !! Xxx

• Like 2

Commiserations jennyboydance, and to any others who have had disappointing news today. Try not to see it as the end though - as others have said, there are many roads to Rome. and indeed many alternative destinations to Rome, which may ultimately end up being just as good, or even better.

I have posted this before, but it's a piece of writing that always makes me stop and think. It was written by a mother of a child with disabilities, but I think it's relevant to anyone whose life takes an unexpected turn http://www.our-kids.org/archives/Holland.html

• Like 4

My dd got through to finals at White lodge but then got a no. She was devastated, she went to dance class that week and all friends were so lovely to her and she moved on after that. Another one of the girls had got in and we were so pleased for her, I could've jumped for joy when I heard she'd been successful.

I'm sorry to hear your news jennyboydance - but please do not let him lose hope.  My DD and many of her friends - male and female- (from vocational upper schools) never went to vocational school at year 7, or had access to associate schools, but they are  now working as professional dancers.  To be sure they are not necessarily professional ballet dancers but they do still earn their living through dance.

• Like 3

I've just received a 'no' for our DS for Elmhurst. He will be totally devastated !! Does anyone know if they operate a waiting/reserve list and if so are you told you're on it in the letter ?? The lack of feedback is the worst thing for me to deal with as when he asks me where he's going wrong - I don't know what to say to him !! This is the third finals he's been unsuccessful - he's still got Hammond, but I think he'll just be too deflated now.

Good luck to everyone else xx