The Royal Ballet: Les Patineurs, Winter Dreams, The Concert, December 2018

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Rob S said:

lp.jpg

From left: Julia Roscoe; Teo Dubreuil; Melissa Hamilton; Reece Clarke; Leticia Dias; Joseph Sissens; Meghan Grace Hinkis; Gina Storm Jensen; David Donelly; Anna Rose O'Sullivan. Missing from the 'brown couples' here are : Annette Buvoli and Kevin Emerton.

• Like 2

I’d love to see it return too next year - perhaps with Osipova as the “lead” sister? Sorry i had to let this one go...I like the structure of this bill - very much old-school

RB triple programming of starter/main/dessert! I gave away my tickets for the last performance to a friend for his birthday- at least I know he’ll enjoy it!

• Like 3

Had to watch Patineurs when I got home as already suffering withdrawal symptoms! I think it was filmed in 2011 and starred Macrae/Lamb/Pennefather. However, what was really interesting was looking through the cast at the end the male dancers included a young Liam Scarlett, and Samantha Raine (ballet mistress extraordinaire judging by the latest Bayadere) was one of the Blue Girls.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, capybara said:

From left: Julia Roscoe; Teo Dubreuil; Melissa Hamilton; Reece Clarke; Leticia Dias; Joseph Sissens; Meghan Grace Hinkis; Gina Storm Jensen; David Donelly; Anna Rose O'Sullivan. Missing from the 'brown couples' here are : Annette Buvoli and Kevin Emerton.

Thank you very much. I will attempt to remember who's who in the future, though I suspect I won't manage to remember them all. Could I be cheeky & also ask who's who in The Concert photo Rob S posted?

16 hours ago, capybara said:

Plus Magri and Stix-Brunell as the red girls 

21 hours ago, Rob S said:

tc.jpg

You certainly manage to get some great photos !  Unfortunately I had to miss Thursday's matinee as I was sick - I am hoping a ticket becomes available for the 2nd/4th January or in the Friday Rush!

1 hour ago, MJW said:

You certainly manage to get some great photos !  Unfortunately I had to miss Thursday's matinee as I was sick - I am hoping a ticket becomes available for the 2nd/4th January or in the Friday Rush!

As of a couple of minutes ago the ROH website was showing 3 tickets available for 2nd January so there's evidently the odd return trickling in.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Thank you very much. I will attempt to remember who's who in the future, though I suspect I won't manage to remember them all. Could I be cheeky & also ask who's who in The Concert photo Rob S posted?

l-r: David Donnelly, Tristan Dyer, Leticia Dias, Leo Dixon, Lauren Cuthbertson, Romany Pajdak, Nehemiah Kish (can't see the chap behind him), Laura Morera

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

l-r: David Donnelly, Tristan Dyer, Leticia Dias, Leo Dixon, Lauren Cuthbertson, Romany Pajdak, Nehemiah Kish (can't see the chap behind him), Laura Morera

Thank you. I'm guessing it must take dozens if not hundreds of RB viewings to be able to identify all the dancers like that.

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

As of a couple of minutes ago the ROH website was showing 3 tickets available for 2nd January so there's evidently the odd return trickling in.

I'm keeping out an eagle eye!

41 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Thank you. I'm guessing it must take dozens if not hundreds of RB viewings to be able to identify all the dancers like that.

There are now mug shots of all the dancers at the back of the red programmes. Some of them do not look quite like they do 'in the flesh' but it's a 'quick fix' compared with the earlier process of gradual identification/elimination.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, capybara said:

There are now mug shots of all the dancers at the back of the red programmes. Some of them do not look quite like they do 'in the flesh' but it's a 'quick fix' compared with the earlier process of gradual identification/elimination.

I did try looking them up on the ROH website but still couldn't identify everyone, especially the men. Maybe I can blame The Concert's costumes: I didn't realise which one was Kristen McNally until the curtain call whereas I'd identified her easily in Winter Dreams.

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I did try looking them up on the ROH website but still couldn't identify everyone, especially the men. Maybe I can blame The Concert's costumes: I didn't realise which one was Kristen McNally until the curtain call whereas I'd identified her easily in Winter Dreams.

Maybe you need glasses!🤣

kristen.jpg

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 3

I’m late to writing my thoughts... but this was one of the best days of ballet I’ve had in a long time. Took the day off work to see the friends rehearsal in the morning, followed by first night in the evening. Appreciate that it’s not appropriate to discuss a rehearsal, but I hope mods won’t mind me adding my praise for Vadim Muntagirov’s Vershinin - if that was his ‘rehearsal’ I cannot imagine what a ‘full’ performance would be... Vadream indeed! I do think Winter Dreams greatly benefitted being seen closer to the stage however - I splashed out for stalls seats in the evening and found this a marked improvement from sitting further back in the rehearsal.

As soon as the curtains drew back on the set for Les Patineurs I let out a sigh of deep appreciation - it looks so romantic and wintry and flipping wonderful. It set (!) high expectation for the performance ahead, and I was not disappointed. Great dancing all round, but my particular highlights were Yuhui Choe and Marcelino Sambe who made undoubtedly tricky choreography look effortless and kept up the energy and enthusiasm. This felt like the perfect Christmas ballet; festive, fun, gorgeous and also easy to watch for any ballet newcomers. 

I quite liked Winter Dreams - a story ostensibly about sisters is always going to appeal to a woman close to her sisters! 

William Bracewell gave the nuanced, soulful, lyrical performance that I have come to expect of  him - he consistently stands out and clearly deserves the opportunities he has coming up in Two Pigeons and Romeo & Juliet (which I’m looking forward to!). Also lovely to see Gary Avis with a bit more to do - he is such an asset to the company. 

Rounding off with The Concert - ok it’s a fairly basic humour, but perhaps I’m a fairly basic kind of girl? I had a big grin on my face the whole way through. I love that ballet can be romantic and hopeful, can be dark and twisty, but it can also be laugh out loud funny. Lauren Cuthbertson is deservedly the star of the show, but also loved seeing Nehemiah Kish in a lighthearted role again following an enjoyable run in Elite Syncopations. A short, sweet treat, I’d happily see this annually, and it was a great way to finish the evening and leave Covent Garden with unbridled joy. Happy Christmas indeed!

• Like 12

Sorry if this is common ballet knowledge, but I'm fascinated to learn from Julie Kavanagh's Ashton biography that de Valois was intended to choreograph Les Patineurs and Ashton The Rake's Progress - they agreed it would suit both very well to swap, and the rest is history!

• Like 7

Thank you Royal Ballet for a fabulous Triple Bill.  Having had to cancel a pre Christmas trip, I was delighted to get a return for tonight’s performance.  I loved it.  Les Patineurs and the Concert were fabulous, thoroughly enjoyable, (not sure of some of the changes for Les Patineurs and I’m afraid one small notice at the one desk in the main reception does not seem adequate to me) and David Yudes and Sarah Lamb were astonishingly good in leading the ballets.

Winter Dreams was the substantial main course.  Whilst I’m familiar with the DVD, this was the first time I’d seen it in the theatre and I found it absolutely compelling.  It’s hard to understand why it’s only the 40th performance.  The ballet manages to sketch so many strong characters in addition to the Masha/Vershinin/Kulygin triangle.  And what a cast in all roles - Claire Calvert (Olga). Akane Takada (Irina), Tristan Dyer (Tusenbach), Tomas Mock (Solyony) and Gary Avis (Chebutykin) all really impressed.  Turning to the main triangle, I never imagined Nehemiah Kish would demand such sympathy but I was very touched by his portrayal.  Ryoichi Hirano was very much the dashing Vershinin.  And Laura Morera again is the consummate artist, her Masha standing alongside her Mary and Anastasia, a heart-rending performance that had me in tears.  As I said In looking back on 2018, having Laura back on stage was one of my highlights and her Masha tonight I’m sure will be one of my highlights for 2019.  Wishing Laura and all dancers an injury free 2019.

• Like 8

Very nice Les Patineurs tonight, David Yudes started slowly but was getting better and better !   Very nice jumps and turns !

Winter Dreams ?  Come on, impossible to believe that Calvert, Morera and Takada are sisters  !  

Nice dancing from Akane Takada but she seemed miscast to me.  

Same for Ryoichi Hirano.

By the way it seems we can expect much better from a Royal Ballet principal, he even seems to be marking at some point !

In the future I will just avoid to buy a ticket when he is dancing.

I had the images of Mukhamedov and Bussell during the whole ballet, where was the passion with tonight's cast of principals.

Laura Morera is trying her best but has problems with the jumps and... she needs a partner !  What an intelligent ballerina.

Claire Calvert, Tomas Mock, Theo Dubreuil all very good !

Great fun with The Concert, Thomas Whitehead is just perfect !  

6 hours ago, MAX said:

Come on, impossible to believe that Calvert, Morera and Takada are sisters  ! 

I found the three dancers absolutely convincing as sisters.  Kenneth MacMillan’s extraordinary choreography left me in no doubt whatsoever, with touching performances from all three, all very different characters with their own motivations and passions, but united as sisters.

• Like 6

Glad you finally made it JohnS- and I agree with you about Winter Dreams, what a marvellous ballet, how come it's only the 40th performance? Indeed. also, how marvellous to see Morera back and I hope we see much more of her this year.

• Like 2

Les Patineurs was well-danced last night, not least by David Yudes.

Winter Dreams - what can I say? A truly memorable performance from Laura Morera but, in my view, Ryoichi Hirano should not have been cast. It was as if his mind and heart were elsewhere as far as any characterisation was concerned and his dancing had no energy or elevation. [Quite how Irek Mukhamedov was able to bear to watch that beats me!]  I liked the combination of sisters a lot.

Lamb brought The Concert off nicely.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, capybara said:

.... but, in my view, Ryoichi Hirano should not have been cast. It was as if his mind and heart were elsewhere as far as any characterisation was concerned and his dancing had no energy or elevation. ...

I had exactly the same feeling when I saw Hirano dance the Prince, partnering Naghdi as Sugar Plum Fairy. His heart and mind were not in it at all, he was just very flat. I felt rather sorry for Naghdi being partnered by him, he brought nothing to it.

I can't identify some of the newer company members so easily. Giacomo Rovero was replaced in Les Patineurs last night. Was he also replaced in The Concert or did he dance that? 

50 minutes ago, capybara said:

Les Patineurs was well-danced last night, not least by David Yudes.

Winter Dreams - what can I say? A truly memorable performance from Laura Morera but, in my view, Ryoichi Hirano should not have been cast. It was as if his mind and heart were elsewhere as far as any characterisation was concerned and his dancing had no energy or elevation. [Quite how Irek Mukhamedov was able to bear to watch that beats me!]  I liked the combination of sisters a lot.

Lamb brought The Concert off nicely.

I totally agree, Capybara.  I sat through Winter Dreams last night just wishing that Laura had been paired with Vadim for this one.  How heartbreaking and heart-wrenching that performance would have been.  Here, all her marvellous efforts and emotional depth just seemed to be hitting a brick wall in front of her and bouncing right back at her.  How nothing was absorbed from her by her partner I just don't know.  In any case, I quickly saw that I had to concentrate on her alone (when it was just the two of them) and that made it all worthwhile.  Lovely performances also from Akane Takada and Claire Calvert as the sisters, and another surprise for me from Nehemiah Kish.  Maybe he is making the gradual transition to character dancer.  If so, I think he will be very good at it.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Sim said:

I totally agree, Capybara.  I sat through Winter Dreams last night just wishing that Laura had been paired with Vadim for this one.  How heartbreaking and heart-wrenching that performance would have been.  Here, all her marvellous efforts and emotional depth just seemed to be hitting a brick wall in front of her and bouncing right back at her.  How nothing was absorbed from her by her partner I just don't know.  In any case, I quickly saw that I had to concentrate on her alone (when it was just the two of them) and that made it all worthwhile.  Lovely performances also from Akane Takada and Claire Calvert as the sisters, and another surprise for me from Nehemiah Kish.  Maybe he is making the gradual transition to character dancer.  If so, I think he will be very good at it.  

Hi liked it and sort of wished Nehemiah Kish had been cast as vershinin instead of hirano 

Lovely lovely Concert. Hilarious