The Royal Ballet: Les Patineurs, Winter Dreams, The Concert, December 2018

18 minutes ago, Sharon said:

The timing was perfect especially noticeable with Calvert and ?-sorry forgot her name now, the lovely tall Norwegian girl. But it didn't spoil the ballet at all and it was their debut.

Sharon....do you mean the timing was 'not' perfect?!  The girl you are referring to is Gina Storm-Jensen.  

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Sim said:

Sharon....do you mean the timing was 'not' perfect?!  The girl you are referring to is Gina Storm-Jensen.  

Hahaha yes, that's exactly what I meant. Sorry. 🙄 Message to self - don't write while in Euston!

And of course it was Gina Storm-Jensen 🙄

Thanks Sim.

• Like 2

I am going this afternoon, and can't wait.  However, I did think when I booked that apart from the name, Winter Dreams is a rather odd choice to sit between two such joyous pieces on a festive triple bill.  Which set me thinking, exactly what would be the perfect middle ballet for this programme?  I still haven't come up with an answer, apart from my all time favourite, Symphonic Variations  🙂

• Like 2

Such a shame Vadim Muntagirov was not in the Nunez/Naghdi/Mendizabal Winter Dreams Opening Night cast (because I found it really painful to have to watch Soares's laboured dancing and this spoilt it a bit for me). Nunez is Nunez and we all know we'll get the highest standard of dancing from her, time and time again. The surprises however come from the younger Principals and some dancers lower down the ranks. Sambe is a star as the Blue Boy in Patineurs, and there was lovely dancing by other dancers too!  In the case of Winter Dreams Olga (Mendizabal) played her role very well, very restraint, but she had little dancing to do, contrary to Irina (Yasmine Naghdi) who basically had an equally important role to play as Masha (Marianella Nunez/Sarah Lamb last night).

Whenever I think Naghdi can't possibly better herself she surprises me and surpasses herself, acting and dancing wise. Kevin O'Hare has a few real treasures in his company and she is beyond any doubt one of those few. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I am going this afternoon, and can't wait.  However, I did think when I booked that apart from the name, Winter Dreams is a rather odd choice to sit between two such joyous pieces on a festive triple bill.  Which set me thinking, exactly what would be the perfect middle ballet for this programme?  I still haven't come up with an answer, apart from my all time favourite, Symphonic Variations  🙂

Maybe The Dream? Or Penguin Café?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Maybe The Dream? Or Penguin Café?

Personally, I am not keen on Penguin Cafe.  And it is not exactly cheerful,.  The Dream would be terrific.  What a wonderful suggestion.  Trouble is, though, it is a Midsummer Night's Dream.  What I want is the equivalent Midwinter Night's Dream.....

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Maybe The Dream? 

Yep.  This Dream instead of Winter Dreams would make it perfect for me.  OK, so it's nothing to do with Christmas, but it IS to do with making me happy.....'tis the season to be jolly, after all.  

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Mary said:

I meant to say, Meaghan Grace Hinkis's fouettes WERE supersonic- I didn't know she could do that and will be watching out for her even more keenly ....

Does she still get cast as Vivandière in The Nutcracker? She’s always had good fouettés in that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

Sarasota Ballet have programmed it with Enigma Variations (and the Diamonds act from Jewels). I'd be very happy indeed with that - and it seems to have been well received over there, going by the reviews in the links this week.

• Like 4

Foteini Christofilopoulou was at the photocall for Les Patineurs, Winter Dreams and The Concert...

46320559082_27530c20e6_c.jpg
Fumi Kaneko and William Bracewell in Les Patineurs
© Foteini Christofilopoulou/ROH. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

45459022335_aff08dfdaa_c.jpg
Yasmine Naghdi in Winter Dreams

46320557952_43efca401e_c.jpg
Thomas Whitehead in The Concert

See more...
Foteini Christofilopoulou: Royal Ballet in Les Patineurs, Winter Dreams and The Concert
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Sarasota Ballet have programmed it with Enigma Variations (and the Diamonds act from Jewels). I'd be very happy indeed with that - and it seems to have been well received over there, going by the reviews in the links this week.

I saw the first performance of this program in Sarasota. As I very much love all 3 pieces (though I prefer Diamonds as the crowning finale of Jewels rather than as a stand-alone work), I was happy to see them all, and particularly Enigma, although I am not sure that Diamonds is a natural partner with the 2 Ashton works. (And the “Victorian Winters” label used by Sarasota strikes me as a misnomer—Enigma seems to me autumnal, not wintry, and I see nothing Victorian about Diamonds even if I were to buy into “white + glitter = winter,” which I really don’t.)

if I had my druthers, I’d make it an all—Ashton evening with Symphonic Variations or Scenes de Ballet as a third piece.

• Like 4

A wonderful night at the ballet this evening. 

First time seeing Les Patineurs on stage- it’s not quite the same on screen. The set was really quite magical and lovely to see something so Christmassy which isn’t Nutcracker! Love the gentle Ashton comedy, the costumes, the little details like the dyed pointe shoes and the lovely skating style ‘swooshy’ entrances and exits.  Megan Grace Hinkis and Anna Rose O’Sullivan really shone as the blue-bonnet girls with all of their virtuosity turns in their little solos.

Having only seen the farewell pas de deux previously, I have wanted to see Winter Dreams for a while. I didn’t experience any of the previously mentioned issues with lighting/dark costumes. I very much agree though with what has been said about Vadim Muntagirov. I have never particularly loved him in a role and have found him to lack something I can’t quite put my finger on in terms of emotional interpretation, but he was absolutely electric as Vershinin and this is most definitely ‘his’ Macmillan role.  Gary Avis was wonderful as Kulygin, amazed at his ability to interpret a character with every bone (and muscle) in his body. This rather subdued role is such a contrast with the powerful roles of the High Brahmin of Bayadere and Drosslmeyer in Nutcracker. His character’s story was particularly heartbreaking, especially in the way he appears to take his wife back after she has broken his heart with her relationship with Vershinin. All 3 sisters danced beautifully - Sarah Lamb’s portrayal of Masha was elegant and had a sweetness to it, while she also danced a passionate and emotional farewell. Naghdi really suited the role of Irina, and/or seemed very suited to dance a role originated by Durante. I haven’t seen much of Mendizabel but also enjoyed her performance.

One thing I noticed was how disjointed the farewell pas de deux seemed from the preceding content - it was rather sudden that Vershinin had to depart, there were no indicators in the previous scenes and it just felt like something was missing in between to help push the story along a little. I’m not sure if it’s simoly because I am familiar with that piece of music, but it also felt a little bit separate musically to the remaining ballet. Knowing that the farewell pdd was choreographed and danced first makes a lot of sense from that perspective. Does anyone else feel this way? 

The Concert- hilarious. Robert Clark was brilliant on piano, all the more so for having heard him at the Balanchine/Robbins lecture explaining how he discovered there was more to the role than just playing piano! He is a fine actor. Lauren Cuthbertson is wonderfully comedic and great to see her and the rest of the cast really have some fun. Cuthbertson had an awkward moment where here antennae got stuck in Kish’s costume but it was barely noticeable as she dealt with it almost as if it was part of the show. Always enjoy seeing Morera, she has such a special port de bras as well as being a great actress  in a comedy role. As others, was very pleasantly surprised with Nehemiah Kish.

Also  bumped into a lovely service dog in the cafe who had a very special satin and feathered cape for her trips to the ballet. She looked very glamorous indeed. 

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Clara_f said:

The notes on the roh website say that the butterflies are parodying tropes of classical ballet, and the section was first inspired by the programmatic name of the Chopin piece ‘Butterfly’ Etude. 

Reminds me of the butterfly ballet the Royal family has to sit through in Bourne's Swan Lake.  No idea what original ballet was.

Linda

• Like 1

I don't have the knowledge compared to everyone else on here to make any specific comments on tonight's performance so I'll just say that I thoroughly enjoyed Les Patineurs & The Concert (I didn't know ballet encompassed surrealist farce!) and found Winter Dreams interesting & gently melancholic. I thought all the dancers were excellent and was particularly pleased to see Muntagirov, Naghdi & Cuthbertson live for the first time and Lamb & Avis for the second time.

PS One specific comment about Winter Dreams: I loved Whitehead's pas du chair!

• Like 4

Apologies in advance - I may ramble on a bit...!

It’s unusual for me to enjoy all the ballets in a triple bill, but that was the case tonight, for different reasons. Les Patineurs felt quite lightweight compared with the other two, but it is what it is - a fun and whimsical ballet, with sweet choreography and very pretty to look at. Meaghan Grace Hinkis’s fouettes were indeed wonderful, as mentioned by a couple of other posters, and Acri really shone as the Blue Boy.

With Winter Dreams, I took the precaution of having a good read of the synopsis first, although I more or less knew the story, and managed to follow it fairly easily. It’s a peculiarly disjointed piece, but the central performances were really its saving grace. Gary Avis touchingly awkward as Kulygin - the black humour of the red nose after Vershinin has left Masha nearly finished me off - and Lamb and Muntagirov were simply magnificent, just blew me away. I think Muntagirov’s performance in particular will stay with me all

my life. Such beautiful and passionate dancing, with incredible leaps that expressed that perfectly - that sequence of leaps leading up to him rushing despairingly off the stage at the end of their final pas de deux almost made my heart stop - that whole pas de deux, indeed, was danced and acted with such intensity. Lamb was no slouch either, plus she looks so lovely, like a little doll - they had amazing chemistry in this. Naghdi also wonderful as Irina. I also loved the balalaikas.

And The Concert...a child somewhere behind me was laughing fit to burst - I think I was more discreet but I knew how he felt! So many good performances I don’t know who to pick out, but Kish was a real surprise - who knew he had that in him?

Of course, I can’t stop without a word about Robert Clark, not only a wonderful pianist but an actor too! He certainly earned his pay tonight!

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

I think Muntagirov’s performance in particular will stay with me all

my life. Such beautiful and passionate dancing, with incredible leaps that expressed that perfectly - that sequence of leaps leading up to him rushing despairingly off the stage at the end of their final pas de deux almost made my heart stop -

Yes- it was on another planet. I really didn't think Vadim Muntagirov could get any better than last night's performance but  tonight he did. It was just the perfect expression of emotion through dance- quite something, and I am so grateful to have seen it- and will remember it all my life too.

In Patineurs today Luca Acri's Blue Boy was so much better than on 19th- marvellous! and David Yudes Blue Boy was sensational!

Gary Avis's chair routine this afternoon was worth the price of admission alone- really funny.

The Concert is a giggle, yes....but somehow does little for me compared to these 2 wonderful works.

• Like 2

On 19/12/2018 at 10:17, capybara said:

This turn in the discussion (back to notification of cast changes) is such a pity , albeit understandable. But it comes just as we were all giving our views on the new Triple Bill - and I’m longing for more of that from everyone.

I don’t think that Jonathan Cope is back at the RB yet. He has not been among the ‘home team’ watching any rehearsal this season.

• The Ballet Asociation announced earlier that he is taking a year's sabbatical from the company.  I hope he returns soon.

Linda

• Like 3

• John Mallinson changed the title to The Royal Ballet: Les Patineurs, Winter Dreams, The Concert, December 2018
44 minutes ago, Darlex said:

Did anyone see the matinee? Would love to know how it was with Yudes and Morera et al. 

Morera was perfect- I think the best of the 3 Mashas I have seen: perhaps not surprisingly as we know what a very fine Macmillan dancer she is. She has that pliancy,  superb acting ability, and  also great speed that enables her to portray the shifting emotions in this part very effectively. I found her wholly convincing as an individual, not just a stock character.

Already mentioned above that Yudes was great- on fire in fact. He was technically rock solid so you could just sit back and enjoy - with no 'will he make it' anxieties- which is how it should be.

• Like 5

On Tuesday night I said I didn't like Winter Dreams.  What a difference two days make.  After tonight's show, I like it a helluva lot more.  This cast has raised the bar.  Vadim Muntagirov was just perfect in every way:  his dancing the epitome of elegance with a bit of wow factor thrown in, his acting so natural, pure and convincing.  His partnership with Sarah Lamb in another MacMillan ballet once again broke my heart (their Manon did just that).  They really have a mutual understanding and each seems to bring out something special from the other.  Both of their pas de deux were unbearably sad and so beautifully danced.   Sarah's collapse onto the coat was worthy of the tragedy of a Russian novel.  Add into the mix another heart-rending performance from Gary Avis, and wonderful performances from the rest of the cast....I would have a hard heart not to have been incredibly moved by the end.  Sarah was very emotional at the curtain calls.  Why wouldn't she be, after such an emotional performance from everyone?  She looked how I felt.  The whole cast fed off each other emotionally and artistically, and as a result I was able to forget the shortcomings of the piece and simply immerse myself in the performances.  For that, I thank and applaud them all.

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Blossom said:

One thing I noticed was how disjointed the farewell pas de deux seemed from the preceding content - it was rather sudden that Vershinin had to depart, there were no indicators in the previous scenes and it just felt like something was missing in between to help push the story along a little. I’m not sure if it’s simoly because I am familiar with that piece of music, but it also felt a little bit separate musically to the remaining ballet. Knowing that the farewell pdd was choreographed and danced first makes a lot of sense from that perspective. Does anyone else feel this way?

Yes, that's interesting. But I suppose  I find most of the work rather episodic and a bit disjointed so I didn't really notice it at the time.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Yes, that's interesting. But I suppose  I find most of the work rather episodic and a bit disjointed so I didn't really notice it at the time.

Agree....that's my main beef with this ballet.  It is supposed to tell a story (I think) but there is no narrative arc, no flow.  This is so unlike MacMillan, and there isn't even the excuse that it's an early attempt of his.  From the master of storytelling, this is strangely unfulfilling.  However, I am sure that if he had started at the beginning (even if just in his mind) and made the ballet that way, it may well have worked so much better than the series of vignettes we have now.

• Like 4

I don't think Winter Dreams was ever meant to be a narrative in that sense- more a meditation on the various psychological inner states and dramas going on. I agree that is challenging to watch, and could arguably have done with a bit more shaping, but I find it  a very interesting departure from the  narrative style we know Macmillan can do. He was trying something new- which doesn't always quite come off but - it's a worthy attempt.

But  as Sim says, with dancing of this quality it actually DOES work (I thought).

Graham Watts' Bachtrack review in the links is spot on though, I think, when he says that Patineurs, though seemingly superficial, is perfectly crafted and beautifully structured down to the last detail.

This is not a lightweight piece in the sense that it is the work of a  master hand! Easy to just see a pretty piece but, when you start to look..its many inner symmetries, patterns and contrasts make it sparkle like a diamond.  I found seeing it 3 times in a row made me appreciate greatly the wonderful Ashton craftsmanship.

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Mary said:

This is not a lightweight piece in the sense that it is the work of a  master hand! Easy to just see a pretty piece but, when you start to look..its many inner symmetries, patterns and contrasts make it sparkle like a diamond.  I found seeing it 3 times in a row made me appreciate greatly the wonderful Ashton craftsmanship.

I think a lot of Ashton looks deceptively simple and this is possibly why some younger ballet goers bought up on the likes of McGregor, and even more mature MacMillan tend to regard him as slightly old fashioned. But his ballets are perfectly crafted and totally rewarding to see many times. 

• Like 7

I went to both performances yesterday. I'll start off by saying that I was expecting to enjoy Les Patineurs and The Concert a lot more than Winter Dreams: my "MacMillan algorithm" can be expressed simply as "it's all downhill after Manon".

However, that prediction was exactly overturned in the matinee. Isabella Gaspirini's fabulous fouettes (better from my point of view than Hinkis' in the evening and absolutely bang on the beat) aside, I found it pleasant enough, but it didn't "come off" for me. The Concert, similarly, was...fine. But Winter Dreams, which I remembered so dimly that I might as well have been seeing it for the first time, was wonderful.

Onto the evening, and normal service was resumed. Les Patineurs and The Concert sparkled; Winter Dreams was a drag.

So either it was me, or the casts made the difference, or Les Patineurs and The Concert bear repeated viewings and Winter Dreams doesn't, or (probably) some combination thereof. If it's the casting I think the two main differences for me were in having wonderful Laura Morera as Masha and, the real revelation, Akane Takada as Irina. Naghdi was of course very good in the evening, but Takada was dazzling: together with her technical excellence, she really does convey emotion with her whole body - I couldn't take my eyes off of her beautiful expressive arms. I'd never quite got it with Takada before, but I'm now a fully paid up member of the fan club.

• Like 6

I didn't want to put this with my other post, but what's with the light-skirted maid in Winter Dreams?  If MacMillan is trying to inject some local colour into proceedings does he have no better ideas than to insert women of easy virtue? We can't even blame this one on the usual excuse of "finding something for the corps to do".

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I didn't want to put this with my other post, but what's with the light-skirted maid in Winter Dreams?  If MacMillan is trying to inject some local colour into proceedings does he have no better ideas than to insert women of easy virtue? We can't even blame this one on the usual excuse of "finding something for the corps to do".

With some critics levelling accusations of misogyny against The Concert, I was surprised that the same critics didn't seem to take offence against this scene with the maid. 

7 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Perhaps just to show the difference between the classes?  The maid isn't constrained by the stifling social mores of the upper classes;  she can be free to do what she wants with whom....the others can't.

• Like 4