RB SEASON 24/25

19 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Predictions: Cinderella, MacMillan's Romeo and Juliet, Onegin a few more Ashton one act ballets to continue the Celebration from June 2024, a new Wheeldon or McGregor or both

Wishlist: MacMillan's Solitaire, Ashton's Daphnis and Chloe, and Symphonic Variations. 

(NB all guesses, not based on any  evidence or insider info from RB!) 

One thing I think we know - as I believe it has already been announced (albeit delayed from its original intention) - is Wayne McGregor's MADDADDAM, yet another co-production with the National Ballet of Canada.  Let's hope that this can/will prove the same success that Woolf Works and The Dante Project have been with their dedicated audiences and then the Royal Company will have a contemporary three-act triad to go with their established MacMillian triptych - one that so cleverly seeded the formation of the former.   That would be a major achievement no question - and one that will decorate the name of the current Director forever more in terms of dance history.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we do have a thread not long ago for next seasons wish lists etc

Perhaps this thread should be for the actual reality of what is happening in the RB 24/5 season. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Perhaps this thread should be for the actual reality of what is happening in the RB 24/5 season. 

I've just done a search and, unless the title and content are particularly esoteric, the last predictions thread was for the 23/24 season.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I've just done a search and, unless the title and content are particularly esoteric, the last predictions thread was for the 23/24 season.

Can't you just paste the predictions from the 23/24 thread in to this one?😄

• Like 5

I’ve definitely read it somewhere but maybe it’s one of those threads that morphed into a next seasons wants etc although originally had another title? I didn’t do any predictions or desires etc but can remember commenting that I’d heard it might be Cinderella next Christmas and possibly no Nutcracker! 

5 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Thank you for searching, @Jan McNulty 💐 

I sense there are some wishlist items that get repeated every year because they're not programmed. 😄 

But kudos to Kevin O'Hare- he did grant Danses Concertantes and Les Rendezvous so I won't have to ask for them. 

7 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

One thing I think we know - as I believe it has already been announced (albeit delayed from its original intention) - is Wayne McGregor's MADDADDAM, yet another co-production with the National Ballet of Canada.  Let's hope that this can/will prove the same success that Woolf Works and The Dante Project have been with their dedicated audiences and then the Royal Company will have a contemporary three-act triad to go with their established MacMillian triptych - one that so cleverly seeded the formation of the former.   That would be a major achievement no question - and one that will decorate the name of the current Director forever more in terms of dance history.  

I did wonder why MADDADDAM is taking a lot of time to get staged. I'm not bothered - it is what it is - but it's coming up to four years. Perhaps that could be 2025 or late 2024's new McGregor. Unfortunately I don't think Dante Project has as much fuel in the tank as Woolf Works does. It has a lot going for it but the problems with lighting and design need fixing. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

A friend has pointed out that the downstairs cabinets in the cafe have the designs for Alice and Onegin. 
I don’t know how long they’ve been there as haven’t been to RoH for a while but could this be a clue as to next season? 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, LinMM said:

A friend has pointed out that the downstairs cabinets in the cafe have the designs for Alice and Onegin. 
I don’t know how long they’ve been there as haven’t been to RoH for a while but could this be a clue as to next season? 

The displays must have been changed shortly after the run of Manon ended because it was still the Manon costumes on 8th March then I noticed the new displays on 15th March, so they must have been changed some time in the week between. No idea if it's a hint for next season or not. I think the Alice display said it was the anniversary of something but I can't remember what.

Edited by Dawnstar

9 hours ago, LinMM said:

I started a thread on Jan 1st this year as I usually do, for a 2024/25 wish list.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

I did notice this and wondered whether it had any meaning. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jmhopton said:

I started a thread on Jan 1st this year as I usually do, for a 2024/25 wish list.

A Wishlist rather than predictions but here is the Wishlist.  (Companies other than the Royal Ballet also included)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LinMM said:

I would guess in the affirmative…

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Schools’ matinees are confirmed for next year - having just been emailed about a Friends’ new season event I decided to check…

Alice - high on my list to try to convince my son to come

Cinderella - we knew this already 

R&J

A nice taster of what’s to come!

https://www.roh.org.uk/schools/school-matinees

Edited by Blossom
Added link
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 11

Thanks. It's useful for knowing approximately when in the season each of them will be on. Interesting to see they're reviving the new Carmen immediately, especially considering there are a lot of performance this season & the latter part of the run currently has quite a lot of the more expensive tickets still available.

14 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Schools’ matinees are confirmed for next year - having just been emailed about a Friends’ new season event I decided to check…

Alice - high on my list to try to convince my son to come

Cinderella - we knew this already 

R&J

A nice taster of what’s to come!

https://www.roh.org.uk/schools/school-matinees

Thank you for this. So, opening with Alice, Cinderella instead of Nutcracker (damn, I'll be spending more then!) and R &J in the Spring. I wonder when Onegin might be then?

53 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Thanks. It's useful for knowing approximately when in the season each of them will be on. Interesting to see they're reviving the new Carmen immediately, especially considering there are a lot of performance this season & the latter part of the run currently has quite a lot of the more expensive tickets still available.

Equally baffling is that it looks like Hansel & Gretel is being revived.

1 hour ago, Linnzi5 said:

Thank you for this. So, opening with Alice, Cinderella instead of Nutcracker (damn, I'll be spending more then!) and R &J in the Spring. I wonder when Onegin might be then?

We could have Nutcracker as well. Coppelia was programmed as well as Nutcracker last time.

• Like 3

I suppose Onegin could be before Christmas (they need something a bit 'meaty' and dramatic to offset Alice and Cinderella) or might possibly be just after Christmas. I'm hoping for before Christmas as I always worry about post Christmas performances not selling well, especially for a ballet not so well known. Also, coming from a distance,  I always worry about public transport being affected by the weather (just one more excuse in the Avanti repertoire of excuses).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

I suppose Onegin could be before Christmas (they need something a bit 'meaty' and dramatic to offset Alice and Cinderella) or might possibly be just after Christmas. I'm hoping for before Christmas as I always worry about post Christmas performances not selling well, especially for a ballet not so well known. Also, coming from a distance,  I always worry about public transport being affected by the weather (just one more excuse in the Avanti repertoire of excuses).

It was post Christmas last time and I think it sold well. Can't be sure though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

It was post Christmas last time and I think it sold well. Can't be sure though!

Onegin was on January/February 2020 including Thiago Soares' farewell on 29th Feb 2020

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I hope Onegin and R&J aren't in too close proximity, and certainly not overlapping, as they are highly likely to be the 2 pieces I will want to see the most casts for.

Me too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

We could have Nutcracker as well. Coppelia was programmed as well as Nutcracker last time.

There was no Nutcracker in 2019/20 when Coppelia was on last. Did you mean Cinderella rather than Coppelia?

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m not sure when the new Season will be announced but today I received an invitation to the Friends' 2024/25 Season Preview (8 May 2024 in the Linbury Theatre). I can’t recall how close this event has been to Season announcements in recent years but we may have to wait a few more weeks for the full details.

such detective work! Thanks for sharing on the forum @Blossom

re the announcement date I think on another thread the 30 April was mentioned as the date but I’m not sure where this information came from and if it’s definite - I hope we’re not waiting into May! Presumably they would do the full announcement before the Friends’ Preview as even if it’s called a preview it would be more of an opportunity to deep dive into things otherwise the information is sure to leak and presumably they want it to all go through the official press release? 

From what’s been announced so far - well no surprises here!

I’m glad to see Cinderella back but this is tinged with the disappointment that this means we’re unlikely to get La Fille or Sylvia. (or Les patineurs…) I hope with Cinderella they mix up some casting and maybe have some debuts to keep it a bit fresh. I’d love to see James Hay given a leading role and maybe O’Sullivan to debut. (I can’t remember if Takada was cast last time or if she was injured but she’d be on my list, dates permitting.) 

I am not surprised by R&J either and hope that Kaneko and Bracewell are cast in it together again as I’m still annoyed I missed them last time. Kevin O’Hare if you’re reading please cast them together again! 

So looks like so far confirmations are:

Madaddam

Alice

R&J 

Cinderella 

Onegin (not 100% but highly likely)

that leaves 3-4 slots which by previous patterns my guess would be: 

Sleeping Beauty

Modern/contemporary mixed bill (eg Pite/Wheeldon/Marston or a new work from Abraham etc)

Dare I remain hopeful for Balanchine especially given no other company are doing it in the Uk next season…in some sort of neoclassical/heritage style triple…maybe with a Robbins or even MacMillan or something like Raymonda Act 3 

If Onegin is the “adult” ballet I doubt we’ll be getting Giselle either, so that remains on my wish list for next next year…

If they’re doing Cinderella at Christmas it’s unlikely they’ll do Nutcracker as well (though not impossible). I could see them doing a shorter mixed bill (eg Les Patineurs or something Balanchine) alongside Nutcracker but not two fairytale type ballets requiring large casts at the same time? 

Maybe we’ll finally get La Fille, Giselle in 2026…I do feel Fille is likely given Paris and BRB doing it this year shows there is interest and a pattern there. Similarly if ENB are doing Giselle in January I can see why it makes sense to perhaps delay until later in 2025 or 2026 for RB. 

I’ve all but given up on Sylvia, La Bayadere and works like Les Sylphides now. Hopeful to be proved wrong!  

• Like 7

8 hours ago, JNC said:

I can’t remember if Takada was cast last time or if she was injured but she’d be on my list, dates permitting.

Yes she was cast with Nicol Edmonds as the Prince last time.....wonderful!

• Like 3

Why do we think Onegin is going to be performed?  Is it due to the displays?  I have a nasty feeling it’s not going to happen if they’re doing R&J 😬.  So far that’s a pretty disappointing season for me as I have no wish to Cinderella again so soon and I’m not bothered about Alice, but I am pleased to see R&J as I haven’t seen it for a long time and really want to catch William Bracewell as Romeo.  Not too much longer to wait now (and then I can really have a good whinge.  Probably.)

• Like 5