RB SEASON 24/25

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, PatC said:

Just had an email response to my enquiry as to when next season will be announced. 

April 30th….

Oh my God, that is probably the latest deadline for announcing a new season of any theater company in Europe.  The Paris Opera will be for subscribers on 8.4.  pre-sale for the ENTIRE new season has started.

• Like 3

Not sure why it makes much difference if it’s announced before, simultaneously or after other companies? Booking only opens to the general public for the summer season tomorrow. Surely the emphasis needs to be to sell these seats before dangling a new season in front of people? 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, San Perregrino said:

Not sure why it makes much difference if it’s announced before, simultaneously or after other companies?  

Many reasons but here’s just one……

If, for example (and as is rumoured), the RB is offering Cinderella as its Christmas/New Year production, lodging that in the minds of a potential audience before they book for other companies’ Nutcrackers could be a smart idea.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, San Perregrino said:

Not sure why it makes much difference if it’s announced before, simultaneously or after other companies? Booking only opens to the general public for the summer season tomorrow. Surely the emphasis needs to be to sell these seats before dangling a new season in front of people? 

From my POV, I need to plan early. Not everyone lives within easy reach of London: hotel rooms get more expensive the later you leave it, and people have other companies to fit in. This year I'll be taking out a Paris subscription: booking for that opens soon and the later you leave it the less likely you are to get a decent seat. I have dates in mind but if, say, ROH were to announce some kind of Ashton festival along the lines of "Sarasota week" that would be something I'd have to work around. (Paris subscribers can change dates, but EasyJet won't be issuing me any refunds!)

I know people like me are in a minority, but - somewhat strangely - within the last month or so I've fallen into casual conversation with two other people (neither anywhere near an opera house!) who do exactly the same as me but in reverse. Opera and ballet tourism is a real thing.

BTW I don't think the Proms' notoriously late announcement date is something anyone should seek to emulate! (And in their defence, they have many visiting orchestras to juggle.)

• Like 9

1 hour ago, art_enthusiast said:

Does anyone know when the Danish ballet season gets announced?

Last year it was 18th April and it's usually somewhere around that, so far as I remember.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

(Paris subscribers can change dates, but EasyJet won't be issuing me any refunds!)

Just saying, the Eurostar allows date changes for free (just difference in fare if any) as long as it’s more than 7 days before. Certainly has helped me this year when I needed to rearrange Paris and Amsterdam trips.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Just saying, the Eurostar allows date changes for free (just difference in fare if any) as long as it’s more than 7 days before. Certainly has helped me this year when I needed to rearrange Paris and Amsterdam trips.

But Eurostar doesn't work that well for people outside the South East (sorry, long running gripe against travel journalists who assume everyone is London based).

• Like 4

I understand that some ballet fans need to plan early. I like to do so myself. However coming down on the ROH like a ton of bricks because it doesn’t announce until the end of April, a little later than some other companies, seems both unnecessary and unwarranted to me. 
Hotel prices advertised months in advance can be priced at a premium as well as a discount. The hotel I booked six months ago in Birmingham for next week has actually come down in price and I have been able cancel and rebook at a lower rate. So, the early bird doesn’t always get the worm.
To correct what I said in my previous post, Summer booking for the general public only opens the day after tomorrow. The emphasis needs to be on selling the remaining seats for this the season to a general public which is increasingly choosing not to book months in advance as the current 2023/2024 season has shown.

(BRB’s La Fille Mal Gardée has been on sale to Sadlers Friends and is now onsale to the general public. A quick look shows that, despite much anxiety on BCF, actual sales including today are minimal.)

In the same vein, I don’t think announcing Cinderella on April 1st or April 30th will have any impact on sales vis à vis other companies’ Nutcrackers. 

Edited by San Perregrino
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, San Perregrino said:

Hotel prices advertised months in advance can be priced at a premium as well as a discount. The hotel I booked six months ago in Birmingham for next week has actually come down in price and I have been able cancel and rebook at a lower rate. So, the early bird doesn’t always get the worm.

My experience - which is extensive - of booking the cheaper hotel rooms in London is that prices generally only move in one direction.

Over a month after other comparable houses (Paris, Munich and the Met have all announced) is not "a little later". It is also later than ROH typically announces.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, San Perregrino said:

I understand that some ballet fans need to plan early. I like to do so myself. However coming down on the ROH like a ton of bricks because it doesn’t announce until the end of April, a little later than some other companies, seems both unnecessary and unwarranted to me. 
As I said in my previous post Summer booking for the general public only opens tomorrow. The emphasis needs to be on selling the remaining seats for this the season to a general public which is increasingly choosing not to book months in advance as the current 2023/2024 season has shown.

(BRB’s La Fille Mal Gardée has been on sale to Sadlers Friends and is now onsale to the general public. A quick look shows that, despite much anxiety on BCF, actual sales including today are minimal.)

In the same vein, I don’t think announcing Cinderella on April 1st or April 30th will have any impact on sales vis à vis other companies’ Nutcrackers. 

I don’t read anyone as “coming down on the ROH like a ton of bricks”. 

• Like 5

I will say again (especially for San Perregrino) that public booking for the summer season does not open tomorrow!! It opens on 27th which is on Wednesday. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Over a month after other comparable houses (Paris, Munich and the Met have all announced) is not "a little later". It is also later than ROH typically announces.

Comparable how? Different companies, different cities, different business models, different business constraints…. 
The price of hotel rooms in London won’t be affected by Paris, Munich and the Met announcing their seasons ahead of the ROH. 
Easter is early this year, the ROH looks set to announce 2 weeks later than last year. Even though I want to plan ahead, I can live with that. 
NB. It would be nice to be proved wrong but I suspect that as soon as the season is announced major disappointment will be expressed about what isn’t being presented and that there will be demands for casting details to be known the day before yesterday. It happens every time. Not worth coming down, IMHO, on the ROH like a ton of bricks though. 

2 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I will say again (especially for San Perregrino) that public booking for the summer season does not open tomorrow!! It opens on 27th which is on Wednesday. 

My apologies I’m already in Tuesday even though it’s still only Monday. I’ve edited my last post 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, San Perregrino said:

It is of great importance to me personally, because on 8.4. I will buy tickets to the ONP for the whole season, possibly to other theaters, and I won't have much space left for the ROH, where I reserve only certain dancers.  Damage.

• Like 3

I’m only “on your case” lol because I’m dreading this particular 27th booking day so it’s rather too firmly etched in my mind!! Sometimes I’ve only remembered it’s “booking day” the next day! But there’s rather a lot I want to book on certain days this time so just hate being up against the clock! 
Also when you are also doing bookings reaching into next Autumn it’s difficult to know which month it is let alone which day of the week it is!! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, San Perregrino said:

Comparable how? Different companies, different cities, different business models, different business constraints…. 
The price of hotel rooms in London won’t be affected by Paris, Munich and the Met announcing their seasons ahead of the ROH. 

Comparable stature. I use them for comparison because planning the ROH season should be of roughly similar complexity.

I don't know if you're being facetious about Paris etc. announcements affecting London hotel prices, but in case you aren't I meant simply that they go up the longer I have to delay booking.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, San Perregrino said:

NB. It would be nice to be proved wrong but I suspect that as soon as the season is announced major disappointment will be expressed about what isn’t being presented and that there will be demands for casting details to be known the day before yesterday. It happens every time. Not worth coming down, IMHO, on the ROH like a ton of bricks though. 

I'm sure there will also be pleasure at (at least some of) what IS being presented; and casting details are only an issue if/when they are getting later and later. Your characterisation (caricature?) of members' reactions is therefore rather unfair, imho. And you do seem to interpret any criticism of the ROH as 'coming down on it like a ton of bricks', which it isn't (necessarily). But I don't think we need to just nod appreciatively no matter what is happening.

• Like 7

I'm probably 20 steps behind everyone already planning hotel rooms and plane, Eurostar and train tickets for September to December 2024 (although I do sympathise!) but I'm still currently preoccupied with June -  wondering which dates to book on Wednesday without knowing casting (in case they sell out while awaiting casting) for the Ashton bills on Main Stage and Linbury, trying to avoid RB and Sarasota Ballet dates clashing, and trying not to be double booked with ENB Swan Lake at the Albert Hall as well!

Thankfully there's no BRB, NB, Scottish Ballet or visiting ballet companies at Sadler's Wells at that time! There's also juggling Winter's Tale and Romeo and Juliet (Northern Ballet) dates as well.... 😄 

• Like 2

For members who have to book hotels for autumn, can you pick a flexible rate in advance that allows you to change dates without the price going up? I know some loyalty schemes allow that. 

Edited by Emeralds

21 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I'm still currently preoccupied with June -  wondering which dates to book on Wednesday without knowing casting (in case they sell out while awaiting casting) for the Ashton bills on Main Stage and Linbury, trying to avoid RB and Sarasota Ballet dates clashing, and trying not to be double booked with ENB Swan Lake at the Albert Hall as well!

Yes, it would be far more helpful for me right now if the RB would announce the Ashton casting for June than anything about next season. Until the Ashton casting is known then not only will I not be able to book for either of the Ashton triple bills but I don't want to book for ENB's Swan Lake, the ROH Andrea Chenier, Opera Holland Park's Tosca or Opera North's My Fair Lady in case I end up with clashes. Whereas even if next season was announced now (it always used to be in March) then given there wouldn't be any ballet casting it would be of limited use in reserving dates anyway.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

For members who have to book hotels for autumn, can you pick a flexible rate in advance that allows you to change dates without the price going up? I know some loyalty schemes allow that. 

Flexible rates tend to get significantly more expensive than non-refundable as you get closer to the date, at least in my experience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, offmenu said:

Besides possibly Cinderella and I presume Romeo & Juliet, anyone have any predictions for the season?

Hoping for Coppelia but who knows.

Some Ashton hopefully - Les Patineurs?
Also Alice in Wonderland but I guess that's unlikely... seems a while since they last did it though, I've never seen it live.

Also hoping for Balanchine (Symphony in C, Serenade, Dances at a Gathering) but guess that's unlikely.

• Like 1

Predictions: Cinderella, MacMillan's Romeo and Juliet, Onegin, a few more Ashton one act ballets to continue the Celebration from June 2024, a new Wheeldon or McGregor or both

Wishlist: MacMillan's Solitaire, Ashton's Daphnis and Chloe, and Symphonic Variations. 

(NB all guesses, not based on any  evidence or insider info from RB!) 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1