RB SEASON 24/25

If I can see Onegin and Giselle in the new season, I shall be completely satisfied.

Dream casting - Muntagirov Onegin debut alongside Bracewell as Lensky. Can’t decide the Tatiana and Olga - maybe Kaneko (debut) and O’Sullivan respectively. Unlikely, but one can dream!

• Like 3

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'd like to see both Tombeaux and Prodigal Son reinstated from the lockdown-hit mixed bills - but probably not the other components.

And yes, a bintley bill would be very nice - was it Consort Lessons the RB did, or the one I always confuse it with? But we're getting into the realms of wishlists again.

• Like 5

The RB definitely danced Consort Lessons and I would be extremely happy to see that again. Thank you, Alison, for mentioning it!

I would very much like to see Onegin next season. I would be especially happy to see Muntagirov AND Bracewell in the role of Onegin; I think the latter may be an Onegin in the mould of Friedemann Vogel and that would be extremely interesting. I think Leo Dixon as Lensky would be very satisfactory casting. I would be very happy with Kaneko, Heywood and Naghdi in the two lead female roles. I am not going further as do not want to tempt fate .. !!

Edited by BeauxArts
  • Like 11

3 hours ago, MildConcern said:

If I can see Onegin and Giselle in the new season, I shall be completely satisfied.

Dream casting - Muntagirov Onegin debut alongside Bracewell as Lensky. Can’t decide the Tatiana and Olga - maybe Kaneko (debut) and O’Sullivan respectively. Unlikely, but one can dream!

I think Francesca Hayward would be fantastic as Tatiana. She's danced Olga but not Tatiana if I remember rightly.  Definitely Muntagirov as Onegin.

• Like 6

My money is on Coppelia for another full length in 2025 -  along with Alice, Cinderella, Maddadam and R&J for the 2024-25 season.  I was hoping for Sylvia or La Fille, but seems very unlikely with Cinderella already in the mix.  

Is 6 full-lengths a possibility?  I haven’t followed RB closely long enough to know. 

Throw Onegin in there also and I’d be pretty happy with that line-up! 

Edited by Ginny
  • Like 2

Onegin would be very welcome....Takada's Act 1 solo as Olga  (followed by the PDD) is absolutely delightful and one of my most favourite ballet moments. I recall she was nominated for a 2014 National Dance award for the role.

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 7

Right - along with potential ‘known’ rep I am wishing for …

Balanchine - Jewels and / or Symphony in C. Would also like Ballo Della Regina / Theme and Variations

Ashton - Symphonic Variations / Birthday Offering (surely they have the talent to perform this by now) / Wedding Bouquet / Patineurs 

Heritage - Petrushka or Les Biches

MacMillan - La fin du jour (with original costumes!)/  Rite of Spring / The Invitation / Orpheus

Works planned but not performed - Tombeaux / Prodigal Son 

• Like 3

Any chance we could keep this thread for the actual Rep for next season when it’s announced! It looks like this will not be until around April 30th but not too long now. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PatC said:

Balanchine - Jewels and / or Symphony in C. Would also like Ballo Della Regina / Theme and Variations

Ashton - Symphonic Variations / Birthday Offering (surely they have the talent to perform this by now) / Patineurs 

I agree with these wishes, I think I had mentioned those in a different ballet wishes thread 🙂

Funnily enough I was just messaging back and forth this morning with a friend about Birthday Offering.  The last time I saw it was in 2012, still with Tamara Rojo, Roberta Marquez, Johannes Stepanek, Ricardo Cervera (to name but a few former RB dancers)

• Like 2

On 15/04/2024 at 00:43, Ginny said:

I was hoping for Sylvia or La Fille, but seems very unlikely with Cinderella already in the mix.  

A few days ago someone on here (sorry, I don't remember who!) shared an email reply they received from KOH which basically confirmed no La Fille. 

I used to love it when RB staged a Christmas triple to give a choice to ballet viewers who may not always want to see a family ballet at Christmas or who would be willing to pay for both (it is Christmas after all!) By Christmas triple I don't specifically mean Christmas or winter themed ballets but just an alternative to countless Nutcrackers or other similar ballets such as Coppelia or Cinderella.  Of course these ballets are needed to draw in the crowds and introduce children to the wonder of ballet but another more diverse programme would be welcome. I seem to remember in 2018/19 there was one with Patineurs,  Winter dreams and The Concert (I think) which I really enjoyed. Something on those lines this Christmas I'd really enjoy, especially Patineurs which is one of my favourite Ashton ballets and seems ages since it's been staged. Possibly that and The Concert with Enigma Variations or Symphony in C would be a lovely uplifting Christmas treat for me at least, though I'm sure other people have different ideas.

• Like 12

13 hours ago, jmhopton said:

I used to love it when RB staged a Christmas triple to give a choice to ballet viewers who may not always want to see a family ballet at Christmas or who would be willing to pay for both (it is Christmas after all!) By Christmas triple I don't specifically mean Christmas or winter themed ballets but just an alternative to countless Nutcrackers or other similar ballets such as Coppelia or Cinderella.  Of course these ballets are needed to draw in the crowds and introduce children to the wonder of ballet but another more diverse programme would be welcome. I seem to remember in 2018/19 there was one with Patineurs,  Winter dreams and The Concert (I think) which I really enjoyed. Something on those lines this Christmas I'd really enjoy, especially Patineurs which is one of my favourite Ashton ballets and seems ages since it's been staged. Possibly that and The Concert with Enigma Variations or Symphony in C would be a lovely uplifting Christmas treat for me at least, though I'm sure other people have different ideas.

I think we need to give you a bull horn to have a word in Kevin's shell-like...

• Like 1

Unfortunately too late for next season with the new season being revealed so soon. However, if there is no triple to offset Cinderella may consider suggesting it for the following season (along with my plea for Vadim to have some matinées!) Not that I'm sure Kevin is interested in my opinions but it makes me think at least I've tried.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, li tai po said:

I don't think they have appeared at all this season in the cinema

When planning was being done for the cinema season I suspect that Fumi Kaneko & Vadim Muntagirov had not yet made their debut together at the ROH. They only debuted together in Manon at the end of February. Their Swan Lake is on the horizon. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mora said:

On the topic of cinema relay for the next season, I do crave that if Fumi and William are going to be cast in R&J together again (fingers crossed), their performance is streamed and/or uploaded to the ROH stream service.

Yes, definitely.

Also curious - has Fumi danced Alice in Alice in Wonderland? Or is she likely to be cast as Queen of Hearts?

Trying to guess casting, I'm sure it will be a while before anything is announced though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Trying to guess casting, I'm sure it will be a while before anything is announced though.

Yes, sadly gone are the times when autumns casting is announced at the same time as the new season, alas.

Well the announcement is tomorrow according to my email from Graham Boland, Customer Services Manager ROH. On that basis I thought the ROH would have some sort of notice to that effect on the website … but there’s nothing.

Paris Opéra sent emails and videos out a week ahead of their season announcement telling all time and day of release. 

So why on earth the secrecy from ROH?

I am somewhat non-plussed by San Perregrino's reply above to me.

The cinema programme brings elements of the Royal Ballet season to a wider audience, in particular to citizens living beyond the daily travelling distance to London, but nevertheless paying taxes to fund the Arts Council subsidy of the Royal Opera House.

I was making the point that neither Vadim nor Fumi have appeared in the cinema this season, not together nor separately.  Anyone living furth of London can only catch their gala performances elsewhere, when they appear on you tube.

Their upcoming performances in Swan Lake are not being filmed, so how does that help the non-London audience?

23 minutes ago, li tai po said:

I was making the point that neither Vadim nor Fumi have appeared in the cinema this season, not together nor separately. 

Apologies for any confusion, I read your comment as wondering why they had not been selected as a pairing to be screened at the cinema this season hence my observation that they are a new and untried ROH combination perhaps to be enjoyed on-screen in the future.

Reflecting further, it must be incredibly difficult to decide who should be cast in the cinema screening. Vadim is 1 of 8 current male principals (Fumi is 1 of 10 female principals) in the ranks and before this year has had a fair amount of screen time with different partners at the RB. It would seem only right that others are given the opportunity to be filmed, broadcast to, and become known to the wider world outside London too.

As I say incredibly difficult to decide.