Alexander Campbell farewell performances and appreciation thread

Thank you so much for the video!!! I love KOH speeches, always so delicate and full of emotion. And Alexander speech was fantastic. What a great artist!!

• Like 5

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@lady emily 

Hoorah!! Success!! 

An opportunity to thank you once again for the video just loved Muntagirov picking Alex up like that…I’m sure that would have set me off if had been there 😥

• Like 9

41 minutes ago, Paco said:

Thank you so much for the video!!! I love KOH speeches, always so delicate and full of emotion. And Alexander speech was fantastic. What a great artist!!

Though I thought his choices of his most famed roles were interesting picks; I would have gone with Albrecht, Oberon, and the Brown Boy!

• Like 2

After @Roberta's post reminded me of Campbell's memorable Hans-Peter in The  Nutcracker, I might have to buy the entire DVD (it's the production with Cuthbertson and Bonelli as Sugar Plum Fairy and Prince) to see the performance again. 

I think Opus Arte should issue an edition of The Art of Alexander Campbell (like they did with Nunez, Cuthbertson, Muntagirov etc etc) with some of his performances. They can put Dances at a Gathering (Boy in Brown) The Age of Anxiety (Emble), Within the Golden Hour and his Mercutio (Cuthbertson and Bonelli Romeo and Juliet), Nutcracker and Swan Lake (Benno with Nunez and Muntagirov) in a box set. It doesn't cost a lot to combine the short ballets in one DVD and put the other three existing full length ballet recordings with it in a box.   I think it will sell well in the UK, Australia and further afield.  😀

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I think Opus Arte should issue an edition of The Art of Alexander Campbell (like they did with Nunez, Cuthbertson, Muntagirov etc etc) with some of his performances. They can put Dances at a Gathering (Boy in Brown) The Age of Anxiety (Emble), Within the Golden Hour and his Mercutio (Cuthbertson and Bonelli Romeo and Juliet), Nutcracker and Swan Lake (Benno with Nunez and Muntagirov) in a box set. It doesn't cost a lot to combine the short ballets in one DVD and put the other three existing full length ballet recordings with it in a box.   I think it will sell well in the UK, Australia and further afield.  😀

A great idea and another way to honour Alex.

But so much caution surrounds the production/issue of DVDs that it’s likely that Opus Arte would want to see evidence of demand before making any such move.

• Like 1

I've had an Alexander Campbell fest today, it's chilly and damp outside and any excuse not to go there. There is so much on YouTube.

I thought I'd post this.  I think it embodies why Alexander Campbell was offered the role of AD of the RAD.   Yes great dancer, great partner, great presenter ( I hope he can do some cine relays?) he also has so many other skills he's been busy developing.

He directed this, the fact he's interested in differently abled dancers and can pull things together using his skills and gathering in the skills of others bodes well. His new role won't simply be about exams and technique. So much to look forward  to. 

On International Day of Persons with Disabilities, we want to share a glimpse of Sleepwalker, a captivating piece that challenges traditional perceptions of ballet and movement. The dance stars Joseph Powell-main and Isabel Lubach, and was directed by Alexander Campbell and choreographed by Kristen McNally. It includes music by Sophie Cotton.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, lady emily said:

Though I thought his choices of his most famed roles were interesting picks; I would have gone with Albrecht, Oberon, and the Brown Boy!

I started trying to pick 3 and it was too hard...so many. I think if made to narrow it down to three remarkable interpretations of roles it would be Oberon, Troyte and Brown Boy (Kevin O'Hare at least agrees with us on Brown Boy!)

But the world probably knows Alex  for Mercutio and Hans-Peter since he's on various DVDs. Cinema Relays and various  video clips floating around the Internet. 

@lady emily, you sound like me calling out "bravos" while filming (can't clap with a phone/camera in one's  hands). 😀

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I started trying to pick 3 and it was too hard...so many. I think if made to narrow it down to three remarkable interpretations of roles it would be Oberon, Troyte and Brown Boy (Kevin O'Hare at least agrees with us on Brown Boy!)

But the world probably knows Alex  for Mercutio and Hans-Peter since he's on various DVDs. Cinema Relays and various  video clips floating around the Internet. 

@lady emily, you sound like me calling out "bravos" while filming (can't clap with a phone/camera in one's  hands). 😀

Troyte: so brief but the epitome of excellence!

It was hard to multi-task! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lady emily said:

Troyte: so brief but the epitome of excellence!

It was hard to multi-task! 

And turning to the left. I actually cannot think of a role that he didn’t illuminate…

• Like 2

Thank you so much all who shared thoughts reports wonderful pics and so on. Marvellous to see the video thank you!! Wish I could have been there. I first saw him years ago as hans-Peter with Francesca H as Clara  …

I am so pleased the company is like this now and properly rewards and thanks its dancers as they move on. In no way do I wish to diminish this marvellous send off and all the sadness at his departure. But I cannot help thinking of the way Eagling and Mukhamedov departed so as I say thank you so very much for sharing this with us all. Absolute best for the future Alexander! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Suffolkgal said:

Thank you so much all who shared thoughts reports wonderful pics and so on. Marvellous to see the video thank you!! Wish I could have been there. I first saw him years ago as hans-Peter with Francesca H as Clara  …

I am so pleased the company is like this now and properly rewards and thanks its dancers as they move on. In no way do I wish to diminish this marvellous send off and all the sadness at his departure. But I cannot help thinking of the way Eagling and Mukhamedov departed so as I say thank you so very much for sharing this with us all. Absolute best for the future Alexander! 

It contrasts extremely painfully with the way Johan Kobborg and Alina Cojacaru left. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Suffolkgal said:

But I cannot help thinking of the way Eagling and Mukhamedov departed so as I say thank you so very much for sharing this with us all.

At least Eagling did get a decent tribute of photos in the cast sheet, as I recall.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I suppose my 3 favourite memories are of seeing his Will Mossop debut with BRB in Hong Kong in 2011, his heart rending performances as Cyrano and in 2 Pigeons with Yuhui.

Mine are almost the same, except for seeing the debut!

9 hours ago, RHowarth said:

I always remember that little exchange; it was that combination of being simultaneously down-to-earth and gentlemanly that always stood out on stage for me.

Talking about gentlemanly, from my ... interesting ... viewing position last night, I noticed several moments where he was careful to move Hayward's skirt to cover her better, but perfectly in tune with the choreography so that it didn't look obvious at all.  Very much like Federico Bonelli used to do.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, lady emily said:

I have uploaded the speeches on YouTube! Apologize for any sobbing and whooping and shaky camera work! 

Huge, huge thanks for sharing this. In a way, I am rather glad to have seen this online and not in person as I am now looking rather red and puffy eyed.

The speech he made just reinforces that he truly is the nicest man in ballet. I do hope we get to see and hear so much more of what he is up to at the RAD- including a significant feature in World Ballet Day!

• Like 7

Regarding roles, did anyone mention Franz in Coppelia?  His performance with the wonderful Morera was one of the best I have seen.  They both have had a real gift for comedy, and were genuinely funny.  

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 11

4 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Regarding roles, did anyone mention Franz in Coppelia?  His performance with the wonderful Morera was one of the best I have seen.  They both have had a real gift for comedy, and were genuinely funny.  

Yes! The czardas in Act I is seared into my brain forever. I couldn't keep my eyes off of him! It is a pity we didn't see more character dancing from him. I am still cross that Hayward and Campbell were the first cast in the 2019 (?) run and yet they were not in the live broadcast. 

All these posts just remind me how many incredible roles he danced... 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fonty said:

That was in my wider list if I was allowed 8 roles instead of 3, Fonty  😉-  Franz, Colas, Hans-Peter, Brown Boy, Troyte, Oberon, Young Man in Two Pigeons, Mercutio.  I liked the fact that he changed his Franz slightly when he covered for McRae (who was injured) to partner Hayward.

With Morera they were like a funny bickering long-time couple and he was constantly trying to get back into her good books after she caught him out, but you knew they were destined to be together, while with Hayward whose Swanilda was different to Morera's he was more the carefree young lad who thought flirting was harmless but became more responsible and tender when they got married. I must admit Morera and Campbell's Swanilda and Franz, and their Titania and Oberon, are among my all time  favourite  performances. 🪜 🧚‍♀️ 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 9

32 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

That was in my wider list if I was allowed 8 roles instead of 3, Fonty  😉-  Franz, Colas, Hans-Peter, Brown Boy, Troyte, Oberon, Young Man in Two Pigeons, Mercutio.  I liked the fact that he changed his Franz slightly when he covered for McRae (who was injured) to partner Hayward.

With Morera they were like a funny bickering long-time couple and he was constantly trying to get back into her good books after she caught him out, but you knew they were destined to be together, while with Hayward whose Swanilda was different to Morera's he was more the carefree young lad who thought flirting was harmless but became more responsible and tender when they got married. I must admit Morera and Campbell's Swanilda and Franz, and their Titania and Oberon, are among my all time  favourite  performances. 🪜 🧚‍♀️ 

His Romeo with Naghdi was astonishing: the curtain came down in shocked silence. His Des Grieux, not just this last week, exemplary. Albrecht, Florimund, Colas, Young Man (Two Pigeons), Lescaut all superb. Brown Boy in Dances, one for the ages. Basilio was pretty good too. As with Morera, I will never understand why such a complete dance actor, with a virtuoso technique, was not allowed to explore the whole repertoire. 

Edited by Jamesrhblack
  • Like 11

Thank you so much for that @lady emily - I had to surrender my ticket at the last moment so very grateful I still get to see the send-off, even if I had to miss what I have no doubt was a wonderful performance. I take small comfort in knowing that had I been there I would have suffered with very sore hands and very red, swollen eyes! I do very much hope this isn't the last we see of him - he's a fabulous presenter so I'll be furious if he gives that up too! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, capybara said:

Vadim Muntagirov’s IG story today (10th March) is worth a look. Mutual respect in spades.

They are really going to miss each other.  

• Like 5

When watching the video, did anyone else feel like shouting at Mr O'Hare, asking why, if he held Campbell in such high regard, he cast him much less frequently than other male principals??

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, Fonty said:

When watching the video, did anyone else feel like shouting at Mr O'Hare, asking why, if he held Campbell in such high regard, he cast him much less frequently than other male principals??

I felt like shouting that there in-person! 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I felt like that sitting in the theatre on Friday night.  I actually felt very annoyed.

• Like 11

36 minutes ago, Fonty said:

First thing that came to mind. 

• Like 7