Alexander Campbell farewell performances and appreciation thread

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, lady emily said:

Exactly: Lescaut and Benno were signature roles but they should have been signature roles from his soloist days, not when he was principal. Hirano is the only other male principal who comes to mind who regularly does that, and only with Lescaut. But he also gets to dance the leads as well. 

Incidentally did he ever dance Lensky? I don't think so but that seems like exactly the type of role he would have danced frequently. A could imagine a very strong Onegin from him as well, especially with his partnering skills. I should stop fantasizing about things that will never happen... 

According to his bio and from what I can remember (and the ROH Collection database confirms), no Lensky. I agree he would have been brilliant as Lensky- especially during the ball scene and the duel (or pre due) scene.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

My view? Whatever the reason Alex Campbell has decided to move on (and at 38, he's not in the spring of a dancing career, and I suspect he's been searching for what to do next anyhow) I do wonder if very public speculation and grumbling (this forum is very public) that he's gone off in fit of pique / hurt because the RB AD has been mean to him by not giving him every lead role going is very helpful?  Or factual?

I don't know the truth, I'm not party to his every thought, I doubt few are,  I do know that in his new role he will need to not have burned any bridges.  He'll need every positive connection he has, now and going into the future, including with the Royal Ballet, and I'm pretty sure he'd prefer it if there wasn't public gossip and the grinding of the rumour mill suggesting there is some cloud hanging over his leaving the company, where he's been an exemplary dancer / actor / ambassador, and moving to the RAD role. 

As for Seigfried, it's a pretty tedious role. He'd have had to have had a great deal of rehearsal time, all that partnering, and he was also doing TWO major and really meaty dancing / acting roles in Manon at the same time. Those also would need rehearsals, you can't simply step on stage and dance and partner even if you've done the roles in the past. He was cast in Different Drummer including the cine relay upcoming, another role to learn / rehearse. 

Last autumn he'd become a dad and no doubt needed time for that role also.

As AD of the RAD I hope he gains valuable experience and given opportunities for further professional development & qualifications. He's shown how versatile he is already.  He'll also, no doubt, be able / expected to travel, I bet he's looking forward to RAD related visits to Australia where his family is. 

Best wishes to him, and to Claire Calvert and of course the new baby.  An interesting future lies ahead. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I'm sure that Alexander Campbell is far too mature, balanced and positive to have left in a 'fit of pique'; I imagine that he simply decided to accept a wonderful opportunity that was presented to him. Nevertheless, I think that members who wish to express dissatisfaction with casting decisions have every right to do so (and that does not amount to 'grumbling' let alone 'gossip' - there are serious issues at stake here! Well, serious if you love ballet, the RB and its dancers).

But yes, I'm sure the RAD appointment will give him great opportunities, and that he will retain excellent connections with the RB and all the other organisations with which he has been associated.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Roberta said:

My view? Whatever the reason Alex Campbell has decided to move on (and at 38, he's not in the spring of a dancing career, and I suspect he's been searching for what to do next anyhow) I do wonder if very public speculation and grumbling (this forum is very public) that he's gone off in fit of pique / hurt because the RB AD has been mean to him by not giving him every lead role going is very helpful?  Or factual?

@Roberta   I don't think anyone has actually said that those are Campbell's feelings, have they?  In my case the grumbles were entirely my own that I never saw him in roles I think he would have been superb in.  I am expressing my personal dissatisfaction, not his!

• Like 6

I've said all I'm saying on this. I've tried to stick to positives and appreciation. I'm sure the very talented Alexander Campbell would have been excellent in many roles he didn't get to dance, though that's life and the restriction of working for a large ballet company. You can't do it all, though he's done many and excelled at them. 

I wish him well. I'm sure everyone does. 

• Like 2

Another bit of hypothetical casting here, but I wish Les Patneurs had been revived for the last year with my five preferred  candidates for Blue Boy: Campbell, Sambe, McRae, Corrales, Hay.  I think the last time they revived it the run was too short. Well, there's still the 2024-25 season or 2025-26 season to come.......

• Like 6

Just wondering when the season gets announced - is it around April? And will POB announce theirs around the same time?

Similarly hoping for Les Patineurs and Coppelia next season. Praying for any Balanchine but won’t get my hopes up…

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Fonty said:

@Roberta   I don't think anyone has actually said that those are Campbell's feelings, have they?  In my case the grumbles were entirely my own that I never saw him in roles I think he would have been superb in.  I am expressing my personal dissatisfaction, not his!

Totally agree. If that's how it's come across it wasn't intended. 

I don't personally see criticism of AD decisions as incompatible with a celebration of an incredible talent. But for sure, there is not much more to say on the subject!  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Just wondering when the season gets announced - is it around April? And will POB announce theirs around the same time?

last year the email came on 26th April 2023, the year before on 6th April 2022

Edited by Silke H
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I agree that saying that you would have liked to see a particular dancer in a particular role is a legitimate comment, and so is criticising the casting decisions of an AD.

But I do think that to state or strongly imply that a particular dancer has left because of casting decisions is gossip, unless the dancer has confirmed that publicly.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone actually did that, though.

It's hardly the first time that a principal in the latter stages of his/her career has been what their general public regards as under-cast, but we don't necessarily know why they are no longer dancing roles they used to (or aren't dancing roles we think they would be suited to).  There are all sorts of considerations to be taken into account, some which may come from the artistic director/owner of the works, and some from the dancer themselves.  Sometimes you do later realise that there were probably good reasons for some of those choices, at least.

• Like 5

Late to the party here, but still struggling to articulate everything I feel and want to say.  So many previous posts have echoed some of my thoughts while others have not.  First, I love Alex as a dancer and feel his partnership with Francesca Hayward was very special. I'll pick an early Sleeping Beauty where their fish dives in the Grand pdd made me gasp with appreciation and made other more "luminous" partnerships in that same run look positively pedestrian. 

I've been lucky enough to meet Alex on several occasions at RB events and chat to him about ballet and cricket.  I asked him about the fish dives and he said it was because Frankie was so quick and fast in her spins.  We saw this again with their final performance last Friday, which for me, brought back all those memories and celebrated their unique partnership. It was so special. 

I too, feel somewhat deprived that we didn't see more of this wonderful partnership. For some reason, they stopped being cast together and then COVID took over, so we really missed what could have been prime stage time. Thank goodness they have been reunited recently and there could have been no better final performance than the one I feel very privileged to have witnessed last Friday. 

I felt the final celebration was pitch perfect and I loved Alex's speech.  He is such a class act and has secured a wonderful new role at the RAD.  So, surely, the only way is up - even further.       

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

I'll pick an early Sleeping Beauty where their fish dives in the Grand pdd made me gasp with appreciation and made other more "luminous" partnerships in that same run look positively pedestrian....

... I asked him about the fish dives and he said it was because Frankie was so quick and fast in her spins. 

I do love a good fish dive!  What a lovely memory, @JennyTaylor- and, as ever, so gentlemanly and modest of Alexander Campbell to give the credit for the excellent fish dives to his partner. 

• Like 9

10 hours ago, lady emily said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4bpVVjtu24/?igsh=a2sxdzZqdHN2aW96

Just when you’re starting to not cry over it anymore you open Instagram to an incredibly moving post like this! 

Such a lovely tribute from Francesca Hayward- I love that bit about the thank you and good luck-  and although purely a hypothetical scenario now, her comments all the more confirm to me that a Swan Lake in 2022 with Hayward and Campbell as Odette/Odile and Siegfried would have been a magical and exceptional performance. (Am both pragmatically and wistfully accepting that the clock can't be turned back). Still, both are still young, guest artist jump ins occur all the time, and there's no rule that an RAD AD has to sit behind a desk for 9 hours a day every day......

On another "you learn something new every day" note, I didn't realise that Alexander Campbell actually danced the role of the dancing master in the recording of Bintley's Cinderella when he was at BRB. So those who own the DVD can enjoy a bit more of Campbell's dancing.  🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 13/03/2024 at 21:28, Emeralds said:

On another "you learn something new every day" note, I didn't realise that Alexander Campbell actually danced the role of the dancing master in the recording of Bintley's Cinderella when he was at BRB.

Fun fact: Alexander danced three different Cinderella's Princes: Sir David Bintley's with BRB, Alexei Ratmansky's with TAB, and Sir Frederick Ashton's with RB. 

Is Bintley's Cinderella the one with Elisha Willis as Cinders? If so, I've got it yay!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sophoife said:

Fun fact: Alexander danced three different Cinderella's Princes: Sir David Bintley's with BRB, Alexei Ratmansky's with TAB, and Sir Frederick Ashton's with RB. 

Is Bintley's Cinderella the one with Elisha Willis as Cinders? If so, I've got it yay!

That's correct, Sophoife- the DVD with Elisha Willis as Cinderella....have a look and tell us when you spot Alexander! 😀 

• Thanks 1

I meant to post this last week then forgot so before the thread vanishes off the first page I hope it's okay to do so now. My favourite curtain call photo of Alexander Campbell & Claire Calvert. I think this Prince Florimund might be leaving Aurora for the Lilac Fairy!

6a.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

That kangaroo rat solo always makes the audience smile 😃.....I hadn't realised it was 4 minutes of jumping, turning and other energetic (ie tiring!)  movements- and yet Alexander doesn't look all that puffed at the end! Impressive  👏

• Like 2

@Jan McNulty thank you for the fabulous video of Alex in ‘Still Life at the Penguin Cafe’.  Love the ballet, so inventive!  and the music too.

Alex joined the RB in 2011, so this video from BRB must be over 13 years ago

I was amused to see the other dancer performing the role close to full out in a corner at the back!  It is the long haired Joe Caley.  Now principal at Australian Ballet.  What a nice connection.  One being Aussie and now in the UK, the other being British and now in Australia.  I think they are about the same age … late 30s.  Having joined BRB from the RB School in the same year.  

• Like 2

The video is two run through edited together.  If you check, in some parts his trousers are rolled up and the other they are loose.  Which actually means he performed the whole piece twice (at least) for the filming crew!!

Edited by FionaM
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, FionaM said:

The video is two run through edited together.  If you check, in some parts his trousers are rolled up and the other they are loose.  Which actually means he performed the whole piece twice (at least) for the filming crew!!

Gosh Fiona, I’ve watched this video loads of times and never even noticed the trousers!!!

IIRC BRB published quite a few rehearsal clips to keep us going during the dark days of the first lockdown.

• Like 1

I've just remembered Alex, in an interview for Friends, was saying that when the casting for Slaughter was being done he said he could tap.  He couldn't but he asked James Barton to teach him!!  You never would have known that he was a novice tap dancer in the performances!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

New on Dance Europe 

DANCE EUROPE caught up with the Royal Ballet principal as he prepared for his final performances as Des Grieux before taking up the post of artistic director of the Royal Academy of Dance

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

19 hours ago, Roberta said:

New on Dance Europe 

DANCE EUROPE caught up with the Royal Ballet principal as he prepared for his final performances as Des Grieux before taking up the post of artistic director of the Royal Academy of Dance

Thanks for sending this, what a wonderful career reflection. What strikes me is 1) how humble he is! He repeatedly mentions how his success and promotions were about being in the right place at the right time, rather than his abundant talent! And 2) how he seems to have always been quite canny about not taking things for granted and always planning the next steps. 

• Like 10