Alexander Campbell farewell performances and appreciation thread

Thank you so much for uploading the video, @lady emily. It was such a special night. I found it more difficult than usual to concentrate on the story of the ballet because I was so aware of it being AC's last performance. But I was nevertheless aware of how excellent the performance was, and of how powerful the partnership was and always has been between Alexander Campbell and Francesca Hayward. The final moment of Des Grieux's grief was one not of abandonment but of stunned shock and disbelief. And that's rather how I felt at the prospect of never seeing AC dance again. The curtain calls/speeches were lovely; he is obviously held in such affection, and clearly deserves to be so. Wonderful that his family was there, and that they were the first people he thanked. I give thanks that I was able to witness so much of his career - so many superlative performances - and I wish him everything that's good for the future.

• Like 29

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautifully put, @bridiem   A very special night, one in which we were reminded of just what it is we are losing with Alex’s departure.  I am so glad I was there, and as you say, so glad and grateful to have watched his RB career from start to finish. I wish him the very best for the future, and thank him from the bottom of my heart for all the joy he has given me over the years. ❤️😢

• Like 17

Bridie and Sim, and James in the parallel thread, between you have said everything that I think all of us feel about Alex’s departure. It’s odd, isn’t it, how some people touch us in a way that others never can. Or perhaps not so odd. It’s the human side, isn’t it, that natural, genuine warmth and lack of artifice that always lit up Alex’s performances, and I think that’s why we all feel such a sense of loss. He will, I have absolutely no doubt, shine equally brightly in his new role and I, too, send my very best wishes for a wonderful future, but we will miss him here. 

• Like 15

Thanks to all who have posted, in text, photo and video, sharing the night with people like me who absolutely could not attend (couldn't fit in his dad's luggage in my case).

I'm so grateful for this forum.

• Like 6

Thanks to all who have posted here to get a flavour of the occasion. 
Looks like he had a lovely send off to finish his career at RB. 

Looks like we all have at least one forever memorable performance and for me it was his Giselle with Hayward. 
He will definitely be missed 😥

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2

I’m so sorry I couldn’t have been there last night but I was in Leeds for NB.

I suppose my 3 favourite memories are of seeing his Will Mossop debut with BRB in Hong Kong in 2011, his heart rending performances as Cyrano and in 2 Pigeons with Yuhui.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Sophoife said:

I'm so grateful for this forum.

As am I @Sophoife, what would we do without it?

@lady emily, I can’t thank you enough for recording the curtain calls and speeches for us all. I couldn’t go last night and am crying on my sofa watching You Tube at 7:30am on a Saturday morning. 😢  Alex is a humble, kind and beautiful man as well as an amazing dancer and he will be missed at the RB.

• Like 14

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Sophoife said:

Thanks @alison. I think it should happen more often. Never seen an AusBallet dancer given a microphone.

I think Kevin O'Hare knows the audience would like to hear from the dancer too, so after his speech he gives his microphone to the dancer. I remember Laura Morera, Federico Bonelli and Thiago Soares being given the microphone to make their own speech but if I recall correctly, there weren't any speeches at the farewell of Roberta Marquez although she had a flower throw like the others. Whether that was her choice or whether it was because the practice of two speeches wasn't started yet I don't know. I wasn't at the actual farewell shows of Edward Watson nor Zenaida Yanowsky (attended the ones just before the farewells) so I don't know if there were speeches at theirs as well? (I believe Carlos Acosta had speeches - both him and O'Hare-  at his although I attended on a different night.) 

9 hours ago, Emeralds said:

and Kevin O'Hare with flowers  and magnum of champagne....... Apologies to anyone I missed out in the flower parade!) 

Thanks to @lady emily's brilliant video looks like everyone in the flower procession was mentioned (that's spooky- my short term recall isn't usually that good!) but I mistook O'Hare's papers (speech notes?) for flowers! There was definitely a nice biig bottle of champagne though!

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

Many years ago, when I was about 21, I was invited to watch the men's morning class at BRB's studios. I was the only observer, felt awkward, and most surely looked it too. I arrived in the studio before the start of class and skulked at the sidelines trying to be invisible. Alexander (about the same age then as I was) approached me and asked if I'd like a seat. I couldn't see any close at hand, and wanted to be inconspicuous, so I said no, I was fine to stand. Alexander smiled, said something like 'it's a long time to stand' and went away to get me a chair.

I always remember that little exchange; it was that combination of being simultaneously down-to-earth and gentlemanly that always stood out on stage for me.

Edited by RHowarth
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RHowarth said:

Many years ago, when I was about 21, I was invited to watch the men's morning class at BRB's studios. I was the only observer, felt awkward, and most surely looked it too. I arrived in the studio before the start of class and skulked at the sidelines trying to be invisible. Alexander (about the same age then as I was) approached me and asked if I'd like a seat. I couldn't see any close at hand, and wanted to be inconspicuous, so I said no, I was fine to stand. Alexander smiled, said something like 'it's a long time to stand' and went away to get me a chair.

I always remember that little exchange; it was that combination of being simultaneously down-to-earth and gentlemanly that always stood out on stage for me.

How sweet and such a very Alexander Campbell thing to do!  👍 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RHowarth said:

What a lovely memory, RHowarth, and doesn’t that sum up the wonderful Me Campbell perfectly. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

I’m so sorry I couldn’t have been there last night but I was in Leeds for NB.

I suppose my 3 favourite memories are of seeing his Will Mossop debut with BRB in Hong Kong in 2011, his heart rending performances as Cyrano and in 2 Pigeons with Yuhui.

One of my memories is of a lovely interview Jan did with Alex in Cheltenham, where he was dancing with BRB on one of the wonderful split tours. He was just about to leave BRB to join the Royal and he shared his hopes for how his career could develop in London. He said he’d try it for two years to see how it went!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

A lovely memory indeed @RHowarth.

I can share (again) another lovely memory: after seeing him dance the Prince in Ratmansky's Cinderella in Sydney, myself and the late @jmb met at stage door, and walked back along the waterfront promenade to the car park. Preceded by Alex and his family. No, we're not stalking you! We waited a bit at the entrance to the car park, then walked on in towards the lift. There they were again. Still not stalking. We hung back and said, no, no, it's fine, we'll wait. Alex said not to be silly, held the lift door open for us, and cheerfully answered Jean's questions. A joyful memory of Jean for me (she was so excited), and a lovely memory of Alex.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

@lady emily and @Rob S heartfelt thanks for sharing your video and photos.  Although I was there, it has been lovely to wake up this morning and re-live the warm farewell to Alex - with much better detail than the myopic peering I had to do from up in the god's last night!  Like others, I feel so fortunate to have enjoyed watching Alex dance and listen to him talk over the years and to be there for the final fling last night.  It was a joy to see the company publicly celebrating a fantastic talent, well-realised in a successful dancing career, and an obviously loved friend and colleague.  I found the white rose presenting procession of leading ladies very moving, along with Vadim's bear-hug and non-assisted lift, and the presence of Lesley Collier.  Alex's "hour long" speech was typically articulate and well-judged (despite the obvious emotion); it is easy to imagine that his skill set contains many qualities which will see him do well in leadership roles in the future.  I probably haven't seen him dance as many times as others here and it seems almost trite to pick my favourite performance as Hans Peter with Frankie Hayward as Clara in Nutcracker, but to me they were the most perfectly wholesome and sincere personification of every little ballerina's dream.  

• Like 17

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

Rob S's photos captured the end of the evening marvelously - see the Manon thread or the curtain call photos archive thread 🙂

Thanks for compiling the photos from Manon and previous ballets in the archive, @zxDaveM-a great gallery to browse!

The video and photos are greatly appreciated here also. What a lovely send off.  I have no doubt the next phase of Alexander Campbell's career will be equally as stellar. It must feel daunting, leaving job, friends & colleagues while still at the height of his powers as a dancer,  though I think he's made a wise decision to move on to the next phase, as opportunities such as the one he's been given don't come along every day.  

For anyone who wants a good wallow today there is plenty on YouTube, not all of it official. This is OK. Tissues ready?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

5 minutes ago, Roberta said:

For anyone who wants a good wallow today there is plenty on YouTube, not all of it official. This is OK. Tissues ready?

Sublime.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Roberta said:

The video and photos are greatly appreciated here also. What a lovely send off.  I have no doubt the next phase of Alexander Campbell's career will be equally as stellar. It must feel daunting, leaving job, friends & colleagues while still at the height of his powers as a dancer,  though I think he's made a wise decision to move on to the next phase, as opportunities such as the one he's been given don't come along every day.  

My favourite Hans-Peter and Clara. Simply gorgeous. 

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, Roberta said:

That was just lovely, Roberta. I have indeed had a good wallow and as someone who couldn’t make last night I felt I needed it. Just gorgeous. 

• Like 3

Thanks Roberta! Lovely! A reminder too for the first role saw Francesca in and loved her ever since. They look so good together and my Nutcracker fix for this year 🙏

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roberta said:

Sob, howl! He is such a superb dancer. 

• Like 3

Just watched the video @lady Emily that was very heart warming ❤️

incidentally who is the dancer in the red skirt standing near Lesley Collier? 
I thought it might be Akane but too tall for her? 

Also Alex surely has to be the GOAT for partnering! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, LinMM said:

The lovely Fumi Kaneko :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LinMM said:

It's Fumi Kaneko. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@lady emily thank you so much for sharing this beautiful video! I was so touched by Alex's speech and that he mentioned his first ballet teacher, Nicholina Kuner. Mrs Kuner was my first teacher too and such a beautiful, generous and inspiring lady. I am so happy she got a shoutout from the Royal Opera House! 

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, LinMM said:

As Linnzi5 and Cescablue were quick to spot, Fumi Kaneko was in the red skirt, Akane Takada wore an all black skirt outfit/dress.  I agree Alex Campbell is GOAT for partnering- he makes everything look effortless. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I don’t know why my @lady emily doesn’t come out in blue 🤔

I think that when you start typing it, you then have to choose the name from the drop-down list that appears, rather than just typing it out. (Only realised this myself very recently!).

• Thanks 1