Alexander Campbell farewell performances and appreciation thread

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I might just sob loudly... 😁

I've started (internally)!! Never been so ridiculously emotional and on the edge of my seat for Manon before. Even guest artists!

1 minute ago, capybara said:

I think I was the only person clapping and I my small hands  make very little sound.

I'd have joined in had I heard you! That said, I hardly ever notice Des Grieux making his entrance!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

"Ladies and gentlemen, there is a cast change. Meaghan Grace Hinkis replaces Yuhui Choe in the role of Lescaut's Mistress." [The PA announcement we should have heard. The cast list is currently still showing Yuhui's name. The rest of the Act 1 cast looks unchanged.] 

Beautiful Act 1 solos and gorgeous two pas de deux from Frankie and Alex. And excellent pirouettes from Valentino. Great dancing and acting from Meaghan again as the Mistress and Marco on fire as Beggar Chief- he seems to be saying "today I pinch your watch, GM, in 20 years your whole empire will be mine!'  😄  I was so transfixed watching everything I forgot we we were planning to clap the entrances! (Sorry @capybara and @Cescablue... it was so quiet where I am. Everyone just absorbed!) 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, lady emily said:

Well here we go. The final 30 minutes of his career. 

I was just thinking the same. @lady emily- when this act is over, our Alex will no longer be dancing on this stage. Seems like only yesterday and he joined RB (I missed BRB visits a lot when he was with them because of work shifts) and was a very memorable Bluebird and then our Hans-Peter for several seasons (for a while we couldn't imagine anyone else dancing it) and Mercutio, cheekily teasing various Tybalts....and soon he'll be off to RAD. Where did all that time go??

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Well, I'm not sure if I was teary eyed in the final pas de deux from the beauty of the dancing, the pathos in the  music, Des Grieux's despair, Manon dying, or the thought that this was Alex's last pas de deux on this stage.....probably all of the above.

Lovely to see bouquets for Alex brought out after Francesca's, and a long stemmed rose from each of his balerinas (Nunez, Lamb, O'Sullivan, Naghdi, Cuthbertson, Kaneko, Takada, Morera, Hayward) fellow principals (Hirano, Ball, Corrales, McRae, Sambe, Muntagirov) coaches Collier, Chapman, and wife Claire, and Kevin O'Hare with flowers and magnum of champagne. Right, we need @lady emily or anyone who recorded the speeches.... 😀 . Standing ovation for Alex of course. (Apologies to anyone I missed out in the flower parade!) 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 13

9 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Well, I'm not sure if I was teary eyed in the final pas de deux from the beauty of the dancing, the pathos in the  music, Des Grieux's despair, Manon dying, or the thought that this was Alex's last pas de deux on this stage.....probably all of the above.

Lovely to see bouquets for Alex brought out after Francesca's, and a long stemmed rose from each of his balerinas (Nunez, Lamb, O'Sullivan, Naghdi, Cuthbertson, Kaneko, Takada, Morera, Hayward) fellow principals (Hirano, Ball, Corrales, McRae, Sambe, Muntagirov) coaches Collier, Chapman, and wife Claire, and Kevin O'Hare with flowers and magnum of champagne. Right, we need @lady emily or anyone who recorded the speeches.... 😀 . Standing ovation for Alex of course. (Apologies to anyone I missed out in the flower parade!) 

It was all of the above for me @Emeralds! 

Edited by Cescablue
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Emeralds said:

"Ladies and gentlemen, there is a cast change. Meaghan Grace Hinkis replaces Yuhui Choe in the role of Lescaut's Mistress." [The PA announcement we should have heard. The cast list is currently still showing Yuhui's name. The rest of the Act 1 cast looks unchanged.] 

It did get updated on the screen version, but not elsewhere.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lady emily said:

Not even sure what to say. So very sad but so very privileged to have been able to enjoy such an incredible artist for so many performances. 

Lovely to meet you and it was comforting to know that someone nearby was also sobbing 😭🤣

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lady emily said:

Not even sure what to say. So very sad but so very privileged to have been able to enjoy such an incredible artist for so many performances. 

I think that in time it will feel like a privilege, but now I'm just sad! Saw his Lescaut earlier in the run too and thought he was brilliant. I know it's supposed to be good to retire at the height of your powers....but it feels like a bit of a waste! 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, nycitybird said:

Lovely to meet you and it was comforting to know that someone nearby was also sobbing 😭🤣

lovely to meet you too! Not sure the lady next to me appreciated the sobbing but oh well! 

5 minutes ago, alison said:

It did get updated on the screen version, but not elsewhere.

Thank you Alison! Saw it after the performance as I was leaving! I always thought the online one could be updated as and when, but I guess not! I think I guessed it wasn't Yuhui the moment I saw the wig as she got out of the carriage! 

12 minutes ago, lady emily said:

I have uploaded the speeches on YouTube! Apologize for any sobbing and whooping and shaky camera work! 

Thank you @lady emily! By the way, hope you weren't feeling pushed to upload it immediately or at all! I recorded most of it but I don't even have a YouTube account (I'm quite a dinosaur when it comes to anything digital!) Wasn't he charming and funny? "When I started my hour long speech... "  😄 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Emeralds said:

Thank you @lady emily! By the way, hope you weren't feeling pushed to upload it immediately or at all! I recorded most of it but I don't even have a YouTube account (I'm quite a dinosaur when it comes to anything digital!) Wasn't he charming and funny? "When I started my hour long speech... "  😄 

No not pushed at all! Well, not by anyone here but by a friend not on the board who couldn’t go! 😂 

it was a beautiful speech and so nice to see all the other principals out as well. Lost it when Vadim came out, and the lovely shout out! 

• Like 5

Another thank you for the video - I wish I could have been there! I'm so glad he finished his career with Francesca. Over the last ten or so years their's has been the partnership I've most looked forward to seeing. I've seen them together in Nutcracker (both as Hans Peter/Clara and as Sugar Plum/Prince), Swan Lake, Manon, Giselle and Cinderella and there's always been an instinctive connection between the two.

One final thought - as a youngster he had to choose between ballet and cricket and remains a big cricket fan (anyone remember him being interviewed by Jonathan Agnew on Test Match Special?). Now that he doesn't have to worry about injury I'd love for him to get his bat and pads out of storage and make the odd appearance on the cricket field - I'm sure the Lord's Taverners would welcome him into one of their XIs!

• Like 8

Thank you so so much @lady emilyfor the comprehensive video 😢😢😢

How lovely so many other company principals came out - and Vadream's huge hug!! 

I don't think I've seen a retiring dancer handed a microphone on stage before - happy to be corrected - and the speech was brilliant. He's a very special person and I hope the RAD job is all that he wants it to be.

Yes @ChrisGI actually have a recording of that TMS chat.

Edited by Sophoife
  • Like 6

Federico Bonelli got a microphone, too.

And I see that Rob S has managed to capture the "hug-lift".  I was hoping he would, because I didn't!

IMG_5182.JPG

IMG_5183.JPG

• Like 10