2024/2025 Royal Ballet season

According to the Observer the Royal Ballet will be performing a new Wayne McGregor three act ballet in the autumn; the much trailed Margaret Atwood based ballet, to be called MadAddam.

• Thanks 1

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A variety of trailers, reviews and features via google.

I've tried a couple of Margaret Attwood's books and never been able to finish them so this doesn't fill me with a desire to see it even though I tend to like Wayne McGregor's choreography.

1 hour ago, SheilaC said:

According to the Observer the Royal Ballet will be performing a new Wayne McGregor three act ballet in the autumn; the much trailed Margaret Atwood based ballet, to be called MadAddam.

Sounds as if I'll be saving money in at least part of the autumn season then.

When I first read Sheila's post I misread the title as Macadam and thought it sounded as if it was about tarmac!

• Like 9

Sad isn't it?  I read the words "the Royal Ballet with be performing a new 3 act ballet" and I get all excited.  Add in the word "MacGregor" and my enthusiasm vanishes.  I wish he could be restricted to one act ballets, I might be tempted to go.  But with 3 act ones?  I'll wait and see what the general opinion is, and then I might try and get a last minute seat.

In the meantime, the article in the Guardian says  "the Royal's founder choreographer, Frederick Ashton, has his own moment in the sun."  Yes, a moment indeed.  A whole fortnight I believe?  10 performances in total, out of the whole year.  MacMillan gets more than twice as many.  I am not complaining about the latter, I am upset about the former, although a fortnight is certainly better than nothing.  

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Sounds as if I'll be saving money in at least part of the autumn season then.

When I first read Sheila's post I misread the title as Macadam and thought it sounded as if it was about tarmac!

I thought macadamia nuts....

• Like 5

Hmm -  an adaptation of a very long and complex novel about a post-apocalyptic dystopia, filled with despair at human iniquities.. - no, not quite what I fancy in 2024.

• Like 10

I thought Madman...

I think I will also be saving some money on this; much as I've enjoyed Woolf Works and Dante Project, I have no wish to see, effectively, more of the same but this time with source material that holds no attraction for me. And McGregor is really very hard on the eye, and on the dancers' bodies.

• Like 7

Am part way through reading up on this Maddaddam Piece ( which I read at first as madmadam!) and looking at videos etc. 

I think I might be quoting two bits of a review by the Toronto Star which probably sum up what my worse fears are about this Piece though they were largely favourable. 
Finishing off the research ….but not exactly wildly pleased with this news at present 

• Like 1

I admire Atwood's work, - but it doesn't seem the best source for a ballet. It is about ideas, and it is very hard to choreograph ideas: but McGregor keeps on trying, though in fact the ideas usually stay in the printed accompanying notes and don't come alive in the choreography - in my view.

I fear I  know what this is going to look like before I see any of it. Will it be whirling about, very fast contortions, unrelated to the music,  to the backdrop of different colours and strobe  lights flashing round the auditorium, with soundtrack sometimes loud, sometimes very loud and sometimes deafening?  There is so often very little narrative, drama or emotion, for me, in McGregor's choreography itself.. I know others feel differently. 

I did enjoy a lot of Woolf Works. But, I feel McGregor has gone as far as he can go with this style and approach.

I would like to see him choreograph to the music and make the dance do the work in evoking feelings in the audience rather than relying on a previous text or producing reams of notes.

Maybe this is different? It would be fair, of course, to comment when I have actually seen it,  but the point is  - the weary foreboding!

Also, the desire to see some new  classical ballet next year.

• Like 20

I have no words 🤯

Well, perhaps I do…….

Obviously, there was an artistic and financial commitment to a joint production with the NBoC which needed to be honoured in terms of programming. But McG does not come cheap and the ROH is pleading poverty.

What better time than 2024/25 to mount an entirely retrospective year honouring those who made the RB distinctive? This would surely have made good economic sense and have provided an artistic showcase for ALL the company’s wonderful dancers. Yes - McG’s habitual mix of all ranks is a plus but the downside of his and others’ new stuff is that a number of Principals are being seriously underused at what should be the height of their careers.

• Like 19

Out of interest, who amongst the current established choreographers, work in the classical tradition?

If there aren't any (or many) then clearly it is incumbent of the Royal Ballet (and other companies) to foster new talent in the classical manner. That in turn rather begs the question of why Joseph Tonga has the choreographic residency at the RB given his background in hip hop.  

• Like 14

Some of the reviews of MaddAddam make it sound as though it has the same shortcomings that I find in other McGregor work, namely (to paraphrase), the choreography is outclassed by the staging and the score.

But what really depressed me most which I mentioned some time ago on another thread was this comment in The Globe and Mail that the ballet "features one of the more horrific scenes you will ever see onstage, and it defies a call for choreographers (most of whom are men) to stop staging gang rape in ballet."  

On the basis of what has come to light so far for the 24/25 season I may as well cancel my Friends membership.

• Like 4

Yes there is indeed a rape scene. 

Also am not sure about the timing of this. 
Atwood wrote her books ( am not a fan) before we actually had a real pandemic …albeit not as all destructive …and also considering the current World situation and dearth of general political leadership of any real quality almost everywhere in the World do we want to delve into this dystopian World at the moment? 

It will certainly be relevant though. 

I suspect younger people will love this (and by younger I mean those in Youth and Middle Age) as they are far enough from the reality of Death as Macgregor is himself to still be able to take on the Hope. 

Edited by LinMM

8 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Does anyone have any insight into how programming is decided for each season?

I believe they have an Oxford English Dictionary app that they use to generate a few random words that they then attach to choreographers and light the blue touch paper!

• Like 18

19 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I suspect younger people will love this (and by younger I mean those in Youth and Middle Age) as they are far enough from the reality of Death as Macgregor is himself to still be able to take on the Hope. 

Not necessarily. I’m in my mid-20s so probably still count as youth (who knows) but I’m not always a fan of dystopian works. I think the demand for it has petered out somewhat as the world has steadily become more dystopian, particularly in recent years.

Being far from death isn’t necessarily a good thing in today’s world.

• Like 10

I haven't read MaddAddam, but I really enjoyed other Margaret Atwood novels.  They are not exactly a barrel of laughs though, and the ones I have read would be extremely difficult to portray in dance.  I would be interested to know McGregor's reason for choosing that particular novel.  Incidentally, each time I read the novel title, I get the theme tune for the Addams Family in my head.  

How much power does the dreaded ACE have?  I can imagine a scenario which insists that in order to get funding the RB has to show it deserves it.  I can hear the words "innovative", "meaningful" and "inclusive" being used.  

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I believe they have an Oxford English Dictionary app that they use to generate a few random words that they then attach to choreographers and light the blue touch paper!

🤣🤣🤣

It has to be said, this is hardly news - it's been trailed for a long time, and is the only thing we know about next season, which presumably won't be announced until the spring as usual.

43 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Well, last Friday’s (massively newcomer) audience was preponderantly in this age bracket and clearly loving what they saw - especially the classical end of Act 2 which was cheered to the rafters.

AND they were thronging the Stage Door and Floral Street afterwards in unprecedented numbers. This volume of response simply doesn’t happen for McG.

• Like 5

The Maddaddam Piece definitely won’t be for a Family occasion! 
I think in Canada they recommended not for under 13’s. 

Of course I’m generalising about age groups ( something I hate others doing like calling my generation group “Boomers!”) but do feel it’s going to be more attractive …on the whole.. to the younger ones. 
Im not particularly typical of my age group at all but do forget just how old I now am comparatively speaking in Society’s makeup! 
I find it difficult to get into all this post apocalyptic world scenario however valid the ideas might be ….as in Atwoods case. 

• Like 1

I'm usually quite positive about new choreography but I'm afraid this reminds me of The Judas Tree (which I didn't return for after the first viewing in its premiere run and a viewing of the TV broadcast), just much longer. Looks like I'll be catching up on some plays, symphonies, opera and perhaps visiting BRB or NB up north or ENB on tour at thar time instead. Wonder if they can time this work to coincide with BRB starting their Nutcracker. 😄 

On a slightly alarming note, I thought the sales (or lack thereof) for Untitled 2023/Corybantic Games/Anastasia Act 3 were bad enough (apart from Laura Morera's farewell show) but this production could plumb new depths. I hope they have very very generous sponsorship- they'll need it. 

• Like 6

Ugh.  Life has been depressing enough since 2020 without this news.  

I just want Fille (and Ashton in general) back on the ROH stage.  It’s not as if nobody’s dancing Fille any more; my daughter is currently living in Seoul and recently saw the most delightful performance of Fille - same costumes, everything except naughty Peregrine the pony.  We said she shouldn’t have to go halfway round the world to see Ashton!

• Like 19

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Well, last Friday’s (massively newcomer) audience was preponderantly in this age bracket and clearly loving what they saw - especially the classical end of Act 2 which was cheered to the rafters.

AND they were thronging the Stage Door and Floral Street afterwards in unprecedented numbers. This volume of response simply doesn’t happen for McG.

Playing Devil’s advocate here as I have no particular ax to grind, can I flag up that McGregor’s works (both Woolf Works & Dante Project, and to a lesser extent Untitled) were hugely acclaimed in the ROH auditorium last year garnering standing ovations at several performances. Nuñez’s performance in Woolf Works was lauded both on BCF and at the Stage Door and I suspect that if Muntagirov danced McGregor that the Stage Door & Floral St would be similarly filled with enthusiastic fans and ‘Vadreamers’ as it was on Friday. 

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Playing Devil’s advocate here as I have no particular ax to grind, can I flag up that McGregor’s works (both Woolf Works & Dante Project, and to a lesser extent Untitled) were hugely acclaimed in the ROH auditorium last year garnering standing ovations at several performances. 

I hate to say this, @PeterS but standing ovations are ten a penny these days.  It seems that every production I go to now, be it drama, musical, or dance, gets one at the end., no matter how unremarkable.  I sometimes wonder if there are people in the audience paid to rise to their feet and cheer loundly, forcing others to stand so that they can see who is taking their curtain call.  

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, Fonty said:

I hate to say this, @PeterS but standing ovations are ten a penny these days.  It seems that every production I go to now, be it drama, musical, or dance, gets one at the end., no matter how unremarkable.  I sometimes wonder if there are people in the audience paid to rise to their feet and cheer loundly, forcing others to stand so that they can see who is taking their curtain call.  

@Fonty I totally agree with you on this point. Friday’s partial standing ovation in the orchestra stalls at the ROH was motivated by a half dozen or so ‘Vadreamers’ in the front row jumping to their feet even before the curtain rose on the dancers. Whilst not without its hiccups and loose ends, it had been overall a beautiful performance by the Company but did it merit a standing ovation? Not in my book. 

• Like 7