Ballet wish list 2024

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, CCL said:

I don’t think ENB’s Manon is a rubbish version of RB’s! I was completely swept up in it when I saw it 5 years ago 

In some respects I prefer it to the RB version (the set and costumes were from the RDB version which I had previously seen).  I prefer the simpler set and the costumes (apart from those dreadful puffball skirts in the brothel scene) and was fortunate to see some fabulous performances.

• Like 4

Didn't we do a wish list on another thread?  Or am I imagining things after partying hard during the festive season?  

Anyway, would love ENB to perform Le Corsaire again.  Lots of dancing, and it was certainly packed out in London when I saw it.  

If RB is not performing Nutcracker in 2024 as rumour has it, then I do hope Matthew Bourne brings back his version.  I've only seen it live once, and I loved the costumes for the Kingdom of the Sweets.  

Please, no more new stuff by modern or contemporary choreographers.  And no revivals with dancers in horrible costumes.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Didn't we do a wish list on another thread?  Or am I imagining things after partying hard during the festive season?  

We are doing a 'what ballets are you looking forward to in 2024' on another thread...but that's talking about shows that we know are scheduled!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Fonty said:

It's a similar theme.  This one is a wish list.  The other thread is people talking about what they are booking for 2024.  There is some cross-over.

(Posting at the same time as Sim!)

Edited by Jan McNulty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very much a nostalgic choice for me as I watched this on a VHS tape (Baryshnikov/Tcherkassy) over and over again as a teen - I'd love to see Les Sylphides!

I'd also love the chance to see Within the Golden Hour live and also Solo Echo...not sure the latter was popular enough for another showing though?! 

A slightly eclectic triple bill?!!

• Like 3

Balanchine: Prodigal Son (that was scheduled but never happened), Apollo

Ashton: Month in the Country, Daphnis and Chloe

McGregor: Woolf Works, Raven Prince, Chroma, 

MacMillan: Isadora(full length)Prince of the Pagodas

Just a few thoughts, I would like to see more double or triple bills in general.

• Like 2

Not sure I've ever seen anyone vote for Isadora before!

I'm a stuck record on this but we are definitely overdue for Symphonic Variations, which should be a cornerstone of the RB rep, danced every season if I had my way. I wonder if the rights holder being the same as that of Cinderella has something to do with its absence since 2017.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, OnePigeon said:

I too have chosen my imaginary casts.  Did anyone ever see Marianela Nunez dance a Merry Widow pas de deux with Gary Avis at the Annette Page tribute in 2019?  I’ve only just found out about this and would love to have seen it - she was a lovely Hanna with the Colon Theatre Ballet.  I’ve never been to Glyndebourne, but I adore the Merry Widow and think John Wilson will be a brilliant conductor for it.  Hmmm, better get saving.

I so wish they would honour Hynd while he is still with us.  Can we get our own company together and crowdfund or something? 😆

Another wish I have is to see Giorgi Potskhishvili in something like Le Corsaire or Spartacus.

I couldn't make it for the Annette Page tribute but I've seen the online recording of her performance with Teatro Colon - she was fabulous in the title role and she mentioned on her social media accounts how thrilled she had been to be able to dance Hanna Glawari at last. She's in one of my imaginary casts! 😀 I'd like to see Giorgi dance - anything at all would be fine, from a grand pas de deux at a gala or a guest artist with a company- in the UK. I agree that something should be put on to honour Ronald Hynd. Besides his Merry Widow, I'd like to see his version of Le Papillon too. Perhaps ENB (whom he mounted a successful Nutcracker for) or BRB (who had Le Papillon in the early 1980s, as well as a ballet he made for them about author Charlotte Bronte) might consider doing something.  

Oh, just tacking on one more suggestion: Twyla Tharp's origjnal full length ballet made for Bussell, Mukhamedov, Kumakawa and the Royal Ballet- Mr Worldly Wise. Not the entire thing but the (essentially plotless) second act. Although I thought Acts 1 and 3 needed a lot more tweaking, Act 2 was a masterpiece. It felt like a beautiful divertissement that bridged the gap between Balanchine and Forsythe, a nod to RB's Ashton heritage with Tharp's pizzazz.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

Cescablue, I am with you on Les Sylphides! I can’t remember when I last saw it, but it must be more than 30 years! I think I saw it in a ENB mixed programme with Swansong and Scheherazade- something for everyone there!

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, CCL said:

Cescablue, I am with you on Les Sylphides! I can’t remember when I last saw it, but it must be more than 30 years! I think I saw it in a ENB mixed programme with Swansong and Scheherazade- something for everyone there!

A quick look at the ROH Performance Database shows a run of Les Sylphides in 1940 by the Vic Wells Ballet, and then a Royal Ballet School performance in 2017 and that's it!!  Definitely time for Mr O'Hare to consider a revival!

Maybe I'll have to look elsewhere for a chance to see it one day...

• Like 1

The RB definitely danced Les Sylphides in the early sixties as I saw Yvette Chauviré guesting in it then, but that is still an awful long time for it to be out of the rep!

• Like 1

The RB has in fact done Les Sylphides a number of times in my 'era': I saw it at the ROH in 1978, 1981, 1991 and 2009. (I was surprised myself to see this! Feels much longer ago.)

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 7

22 hours ago, TSR101 said:

My picks...

For the RB:

- Fille, Alice and Sylvia combined with an announcement of a new Resident Choreographer with a classical ballet background following McGregor's shock departure. 

It's a shock to me to find out he's gone! I hadn't realised, which perhaps sums up my interest in his works. My vote as his replacement would have been Liam Scarlett but sadly not to be. The only other available choreographer that I would actually pay to see is Valentino Zuccetti so my vote would go to him. He may not be the most experienced choreographer around or the biggest name but (apart from Liam) he's the only contemporary choreographer whose work I actually enjoy rather than endure as his ballets (though having some modern movements) are very definitely classical. He also selects great classical music to showcase his ballets!

• Like 4

Wayne McGregor has left the Royal Ballet?  Odd - he's still showing as Resident Choreographer on the ROH website as I write and, as far as I can recall, no announcement of a departure has appeared in recent Links posts.  Is there a link anywhere to such an announcement?  

• Like 1

Guest oncnp

I think the original poster had tongue firmly in cheek or was wishful thinking........That's the way I read it, at least 

1 hour ago, jmhopton said:

It's a shock to me to find out he's gone! I hadn't realised, which perhaps sums up my interest in his works. My vote as his replacement would have been Liam Scarlett but sadly not to be. The only other available choreographer that I would actually pay to see is Valentino Zuccetti so my vote would go to him. He may not be the most experienced choreographer around or the biggest name but (apart from Liam) he's the only contemporary choreographer whose work I actually enjoy rather than endure as his ballets (though having some modern movements) are very definitely classical. He also selects great classical music to showcase his ballets!

44 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Wayne McGregor has left the Royal Ballet?  Odd - he's still showing as Resident Choreographer on the ROH website as I write and, as far as I can recall, no announcement of a departure has appeared in recent Links posts.  Is there a link anywhere to such an announcement?  

32 minutes ago, oncnp said:

I think the original poster had tongue firmly in cheek or was wishful thinking........That's the way I read it, at least 

I was asked what I wanted in 2024 and that announcement is something I want :P 

I don't mean to be mean, I just don't think that the country's primary classical ballet company should have a non-classical ballet resident choreographer who also happens to have been asked to create 50% of the full length ballets over the past decade (Woolf Works, The Dante Project, MADDADDAM v The Winter's Tale, Frankenstein & Like Water for Chocolate).  

He, unfortunately (for me at least), doesn't appear to be going anywhere in reality! Apologies for giving out false hope!

P.S. I forgot to include La Bayadere in my Wishlist - KOH get it back on ASAP!!!

Edited by TSR101
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bridiem said:

The RB has in fact done Les Sylphides a number of times in my 'era': I saw it at the ROH in 1978, 1981, 1991 and 2009. (I was surprised myself to see this! Feels much longer ago.)

DOH! Just gone back to the archive - I should have clicked further through - there are performances listed further on including the last in 2009 as you quite rightly stated! 

But that was a long time ago - definitely time for a return....

• Like 3

Another vote from me for Les Sylphides at RB who certainly have enough women (and RBS students should extra dancers be required) to make up all the Sylphides, and on the same mixed bill, Wheeldon's For Four, since Les Sylphides only has 1 man in it. To end, Marguerite and Armand, which has roles for 2 men in character roles (Armand's father and the Duke), a corps de ballet of men, as well as M&A themselves.

And after @Odyssey kindly shared the masterclass video from the Ashton Foundation with Anthony Dowell coaching Melissa Hamilton and Reece Clarke, we absolutely must have a revival of the gorgeous Awakening pas de deux for Sleeping Beauty by Ashton- such lovely choreography and glorious music. I'd love to see Melissa and Reece dance it together in a real performance, but there are so many possible couples from among the principals and first soloists. Les Sylphides also offers possibilities for so many company debuts in the Poet role and debuts for the women in the three Sylphide roles. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, oncnp said:

Indeed as I also looked online and couldn’t find any news he’d left! 

I would be happy to see his departure to be honest also, regardless of preferences he is talented but he’s created enough works for RB now (and none really “classical” or balletic enough for me, Woolf Works perhaps the exception) so it seems time to pass the baton onto someone else. The problem is who, Liam Scarlett would probably have been the next in line. Wheeldon is more balletic and I’ve not minded his one acts but haven’t enjoyed any three parters really and even the one acts I would say are enjoyable but not necessarily enough for me to go out of my way to see again. I can’t think of anyone experienced enough yet, perhaps they need to remove Toonga from his residency at the end of the summer and bring in someone else (if not already the plan to do so) and or create an emerging choreographer type position. 

I add that removing MacGregor from the position wouldn’t stop his works staying in the repertoire and him creating new works for RB (but at reduced frequency!)

Edited by JNC
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, JNC said:

Indeed as I also looked online and couldn’t find any news he’d left! 

I would be happy to see his departure to be honest also, regardless of preferences he is talented but he’s created enough works for RB now (and none really “classical” or balletic enough for me, Woolf Works perhaps the exception) so it seems time to pass the baton onto someone else. The problem is who, Liam Scarlett would probably have been the next in line.

Just checking, what’s Valentino Zucchetti’s current role? Would he be able to have the position?

Edited by art_enthusiast
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, jmhopton said:

I agree I like Valentino's works.  I also really enjoyed the piece Ben Ella choreographed for Northern Ballet.  For some reason it really worked for me.  

The other one I'd love them to use is Tiler Peck because her choreography is really great and interesting and I think she could do great things. I'd love RB to use her if they want modern choreographers.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Just checking, what’s Valentino Zucchetti’s current role? Would he be able to have the position?

I’m not sure but I see him as a better fit for emerging choreographer type role rather than MacGregor’s role.

RB is missing a Forsythe or Manuel Legris type of choreographer. 

20 minutes ago, JNC said:

I’m not sure but I see him as a better fit for emerging choreographer type role rather than MacGregor’s role.

RB is missing a Forsythe or Manuel Legris type of choreographer. 

I’d prefer a Ratmansky or someone capable of creating a full length classical narrative ballet or reconstruction. Something with real staying power and a listenable score. 

• Like 5

I remember seeing Ratmansky's beautiful Psyche at POB with that ravishing score by Cesar Franck, it would be a fine acquisition for the RB.  Tiler Peck should be offered a commission sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

Since I’ve only been watching ballet regularly since lockdown lifted I only know a few ballets, but my wishes would be:

1. RB Fille - I remember in the Gala film they released in lockdown on BBC iplayer - there was a pdd danced by AROS and Marcelino Sambe that was pure joy. Also it was the first ballet I ever saw as a child about 40 years ago at the ROH on a schools matinee. I’d love to se it again. I have the video of Marianela dancing with Carlos which is lovely.

2. BRB to come to somewhere in the East of England (preferably as near to Essex as possible) or London more. I really want to see them.

3. Lots more matinees. It’s so exhausting being out in the evening 😊. Also even morning ballets in London on weekdays so I could sneak a ballet in while the kids were at school maybe like a 10am start or something - I know this is totally unrealistic though. 

4. Russian companies to be allowed to come to the UK as I’d love to see the Bolshoi one day - I know they used to tour and come to London it’s just a shame they don’t nowadays. I’d even settle for a Bolshoi film being shown, but that never seems to happen either. 

5. Marianela to release her autobiography - I’d love to read it. 

6. LWFC to come back. I know it was only on recently but it was amazing and I so want to see it again soon or at least the film to be shown.

7. Lots more films. Lots. Of multiple casts of the same ballets too. I’d literally go every couple of weeks if there were showings. Also films of historical performances not necessarily all live ones.

• Like 6

Guest oncnp
1 minute ago, Angela Essex said:

6. LWFC to come back. I know it was only on recently but it was amazing and I so want to see it again soon or at least the film to be shown.

It is currently on the ROH stream. I think they are still offering 14 day free trial 

1 minute ago, oncnp said:

It is currently on the ROH stream. I think they are still offering 14 day free trial 

Thank you so much that is fabulous news -  keeping my fingers crossed it makes it back to the stage and the big screen too. 

3 hours ago, Blossom said:

I’d prefer a Ratmansky or someone capable of creating a full length classical narrative ballet or reconstruction. Something with real staying power and a listenable score. 

Ratmansky does seem the premier classical ballet choreographer at the present time and I would welcome his appointment - but the ROH does seem to like to stay British. I agree Valentino is not experienced enough but could take up Liam's old role. It is a great shame about Liam, he had so much promise - Frankenstein at 30 and Swan Lake at 32 whilst both aren't perfect, they demonstrated a prodigious talent. I am still surprised how the ROH have been allowed to brush that hold incident under the carpet really.

I personally would like to see Cathy Marston be given a chance with a full length ballet for a big company at the RB, with the production budget of a Frankenstein/Like Water for Chocolate. Jane Eyre and Victoria both had promise. I appreciate she's now an AD but joint production should be poss. 

Edited by TSR101
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, oncnp said:

I wish it were the Naghdi/Corrales cast....

• Like 4

11 hours ago, capybara said:

Just as the recording of Month shouldv’e been Morera/Muntagirov, but isn’t.

Lost count of the amount of times I've said that! A missed opportunity that can never be rectified.  Terrible!

• Like 5