Ballet wish list 2024

Happy 2024, everyone!

Let's hope we all get at least something of what we'd love to see being performed somewhere this year.

I know most if not all the new seasons programmes announced later this year will have been decided by now but it's still fun trying to second guess what might be planned and, you never know, might give some ADs future food (or dance) for thought.  

Top of my wish list (and I think Sim's as well) are Onegin and La Fille.  Onegin because 2024 will be 4 years since it was performed (5 if it goes into the 2025 part of the season). I know the pandemic has played havoc with ballet planning like everything else but there is potential for so many great debuts. My real wish would be a RB cinema relay of it but that is unlikely, alas. Also (along with Fille) it is my favourite ballet.

As has been discussed many times here, Fille is a firm favourite with most balletgoers and has been out of rep for far too long. Also the Ashton celebrations are the ideal opportunity to showcase his best-loved ballet. You can't celebrate Ashton without Fille!

These are the main 2 on my wish list and if I can have just one performed I'll be happy.

I'd also like a continuation of some of the excellent triple/mixed bills we've had recently. Another Ashton programme would be fabulous or Ashton mixed with other ballets such as Ballet Russes or Balanchine would be equally wonderful.

My final wish is unlikely to be granted next year as it's the 'wrong' year and that's a cinema relay of Vadim as Prince Rudolf in Mayerling.  I'll probably have to mention that this time next year (though I suppose it may be in the 2025 part of next ballet season).

What would everyone else like?

• Like 15

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great suggestions @jmhopton, I like the sound of those you listed. I'd like to add Sylvia, Birthday Offering and Daphnis & Chloe to those suggestions. Apologies to readers with excellent memory who have seen me list those three several times already! The RBS or other school choirs could sing the chorus parts in D&C, although I'm sure the ROH Chorus members would also be keen on the gig if they're available. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, taxi4ballet said:

I wish the train drivers would stop going on strike, and I could reliably know whether or not I can get the train into London on a specific date.

That's what is preventing me from booking anything in London...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Top of my wish list (and I think Sim's as well) are Onegin and La Fille.

I definitely agree with thse two, Onegin because I loved it when I saw it 4 times in 2020 (thank goodness that run happened just before covid) and Fille because I've never seen it as the RB haven't done it since I've been seeing them live. Also they're probably more likely to get programmed than most of the other ballets that I would like to see live that the RB either haven't done for years (or even decades in some cases like the de Valois works I want to see) or have deliberately stopped doing (yes, I would like to see La Bayadere).

I wish ENB would revive either Romeo and Juliet or Manon (or better still both, but that won't happen in the same season).

14 minutes ago, taxi4ballet said:

I wish the train drivers would stop going on strike, and I could reliably know whether or not I can get the train into London on a specific date.

Definitely. At the moment I'm getting a double whammy too with frequently having no trains to London due to engineering works. Between the two, half of December was a no go theatregoing wise for me & it's not looking any better for this year. I discovered the other day that 2 of the Manon performances I was hoping to see I now can't get to & that's just due to engineering before any more strikes get announced. Even when the trains are supposed to be running they have problems so often. Sometimes I feel like just giving up.

• Like 4

Beyond my wish for ballet’s which it seems are on the cards (Fille, Cinderella) and those which aren’t (Bayadère 😭), I think my biggest wish for 2024 is the announcement of an exciting summer visit/residency from a company with stellar classical repertoire. 
Top of the list would be Dutch National Ballet, Danish Royal Ballet (La Sylphide, Napoli), anyone doing any Ratmansky reconstructions (Harlequinade would be lovely after Australian Ballet’s teaser last summer but equally new Coppelia from La Scala or even Sleeping Beauty but absolutely NOT another Swan Lake).

If not a reconstruction, a company which can present Russian fairytale classics - Firebird, Humpbacked Horse, Petrouchka. 

Edited by Blossom
  • Like 10

Onegin is top of my list too.  I’ve never seen it live, but love the DVD of it so much I can only imagine how powerful it must be live - I’d love to see what William Bracewell could do with the role.  Fille goes without saying and I’d love to see Coppelia too.

Definitely more Ashton one or two act ballets and some of the lesser staged Macmillans, in particular Las Hermanas which I’ve never seen but have read about.  In total fantasy land I would give anything for the RB to stage The Merry Widow, but I know it will never happen.  Some different Balanchine and Robbins would be great - my dream would be for NYCB to come over properly and give us a program of their glorious catalogue of works, top of my wish list is to see a real first rate performance of Fancy Free.  I’d love Stuttgart ballet to visit and present us with some more of Cranko’s works too.

Finally, I would wish for less programming and prominence of Contemporary dance by established ballet companies (I’m looking at you RB) and the nurturing and seeking out of talented choreographers who can choreograph in a classical and/or neo classical style who don’t employ ugly gynaecological exam style lifts 😬😏.

• Like 19

Bravo! Thoroughly echo everything you said Onepigeon, especially about The Merry Widow which I too love and is the only full length ballet I really rate that I haven't seen live. I know not everyone agrees but I would love to see it performed by any UK company but I suspect it's too 'old fashioned ' for most modern ADs to consider, alas, despite it being a twentieth century ballet. The idea of fabulous sets and costumes,  a light hearted story with a happy ending told with wit and humour and some great dancing is sadly not the sort of 'relevant ' ballet the Arts Council is looking for.

I did see Stuttgart ballet when they came to Sadlers Wells and saw two performances of Taming of the Shrew which was great. The Jason Reilly recording was also terrific.

Balanchine isn't my favourite choreographer but I too would like to see more of his works.  As one of the 20th centuries greatest choreographers he seems strangely underperformed in the UK.

I'm also with you about modern choreographers too for classical companies. Of course every classical company these days has to stsge modern ballets, and It may be the Arts Council are partly responsible for this. However, ADs seem keen to go along with it despite them not always selling especially well (Black Sabbath being the exception) despite low ticket prices. This usually results in an increase of prices for classical or popular ballets so we're subsidising programmes we may not want to see and they may end up not selling as well as people can't afford to go as often as they would if prices were lower.

• Like 7

My picks...

For the RB:

- Fille, Alice and Sylvia combined with an announcement of a new Resident Choreographer with a classical ballet background following McGregor's shock departure. Finally an announcement of a new classical full length ballet - not by McGregor or Wheeldon. I'd quite like some Ballet Russes too, so I second you Jmhopton.

For ENB/BRB: 
- To import/create new full length ballets - there are a lot existing that goes beyond the limited rep that RB provides and they could just develop new productions based on them. I'd also like ENB to revive R&J (there Manon is just a rubbish version of the RBs so I can live without them ever doing that again!)

Wildcard:

- Any good ballet company to to a full length ballet utilising Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade. It just begs to be used once more for a ballet but all we get is Talbot etc.  

• Like 5

8 hours ago, TSR101 said:

For ENB/BRB: 
- To import/create new full length ballets - there are a lot existing that goes beyond the limited rep that RB provides and they could just develop new productions based on them. I'd also like ENB to revive R&J (there Manon is just a rubbish version of the RBs so I can live without them ever doing that again!)

Which R&J would you like ENB to revive?  My preference would be for Sir Frederick Ashton's as revived by LFB/ENB in the mid-1980s.  I've got to admit to not liking the Nureyev production.

Don't forget, if you are based south of Birmingham, that Northern Ballet's Romeo and Juliet will be at Sadler's Wells (and Norwich) in May.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Which R&J would you like ENB to revive?  My preference would be for Sir Frederick Ashton's as revived by LFB/ENB in the mid-1980s.  I've got to admit to not liking the Nureyev production.

Don't forget, if you are based south of Birmingham, that Northern Ballet's Romeo and Juliet will be at Sadler's Wells (and Norwich) in May.

I have not seen the Nureyev live - even though the recording made it seem inferior to the MacMillan, I would like to see it in person.

I will be at the Northern Ballets version too - you can never have enough ballet after all …

• Like 2

I too would like to see Onegin reappear.

Sylvia would be a joy, and Fille of course! - and tempted to say Ondine, but then I remember that when Ondine not on stage, it becomes rather tedious

More Balanchine - Symphony in C and Serenade well overdue

Always welcome is Symphonic Variations, and would love to see Symphonic Dances too

A season with NO 3-act MacMillan would bring relief!

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

A season with NO 3-act MacMillan would bring relief!

I would be v surprised if 24-25 does not include MacMillans R&J. Very popular, good for sales. 

12 hours ago, OnePigeon said:

In total fantasy land I would give anything for the RB to stage The Merry Widow

In total fantasy land I would like the RB to stage Clavigo, it must be over fifty years since there was any Petit danced by the RB.  And surely it's rime to revive Prince of the Pagodas and Sylvia.

• Like 2

My main wishes came true already this season (Manon, Don Quixote and Swan Lake). So maybe only MacMillans Romeo and Juliet and Onegin with Vadim. La Bayadere is probably an impossible dream at ROH, I hope I will get to see it in ONP. I don´t like triple/mixed bills and I don´t visit them all the time.

• Like 1

My wish list for RB is to see again Sylvia, Coppelia, Alice, Symphony in C

And a new full-length (as ambitious as were Winter's tale or Woolf Works)

And a new production of a classic (Raymonda, Corsaire, ...)

Edited by Paco
  • Like 4

RB:  Fille, Onegin, Sylvia, La Bayadere (wishful thinking, but maybe if enough of us show that we would like to see it, they will listen), Serenade, Symphony in C

BRB:  Fille, Giselle, Coppelia, The King Dances, The Moor's Pavane

ENB:  Please revive Swansong

• Like 7

I only really know the ballets that I have seen and have little knowledge of those I haven't. that said, I'll try almost anything any least once.

I love Macmillan's R & J, it truly is the best of the bunch, but it is still fresh in my memory so I can easily wait another year to see it.

I also love Onegin but is there another Cranko ballet that is worthy of being staged by a UK company?

I haven't seen The Judas Tree live so it would be good to stage that.

Le Corsaire is a lively romp with some fantastic showpiece dancing.

RB Giselle had too short a run last time round so I'd happily welcome that back.

Alice is overdue a revival.

La Bayadere IIRC contains some beautiful balletic moments and should not be consigned to the censorship bin.  If it can be danced in Paris it can be danced in London. 

(Paris is dancing La Fille in March and it is on the horizon in London so doesn't need to be added to a Wishlist). 

I miss Dances at a Gathering, Symphony in C, Within the Golden Hour & Raymonda Act 3. all ballets which simmer and/or sizzle.

Playlist 1 & 2 would add energy to any company and, in the absence of printed cast sheets, is an ideal way of identifying dancers as they helpfully have their names on their backs.  (I wasn't so taken with the extended version).

Northern Ballet's Nutcracker would be welcome back down south again, it's a refreshing contrast to the beloved RB classic masterpiece.

Scottish Ballet's Cinderella would also be welcome down south, I'd see it at least once for its novelty value. (actually I'd have to see it twice due to the role reversals)

Spartacus

I haven't seen it but friends rave about it so "In the Upper Room"

and, as this is a Wishlist, Kunstkamer.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, PeterS said:

La Bayadere IIRC contains some beautiful balletic moments and should not be consigned to the censorship bin.  If it can be danced in Paris it can be danced in London. 

I haven't seen it but friends rave about it so "In the Upper Room"

Yes, yes, yes to both of the above.  

I used to love seeing BRB dance Upper Room, especially Dorcas Walters.  I wonder whatever happened to her?  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Sim said:

RB:  Fille, Onegin, Sylvia, La Bayadere (wishful thinking, but maybe if enough of us show that we would like to see it, they will listen), Serenade, Symphony in C

BRB:  Fille, Giselle, Coppelia, The King Dances, The Moor's Pavane

ENB:  Please revive Swansong

YES to Swansong!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, OnePigeon said:

In total fantasy land I would give anything for the RB to stage The Merry Widow, but I know it will never happen.  

14 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Bravo! Thoroughly echo everything you said Onepigeon, especially about The Merry Widow which I too love and is the only full length ballet I really rate that I haven't seen live. 

Another one here voting for Ronald Hynd's The Merry Widow to be staged by RB (given that Hynd is a former RB dancer) or another large British company like ENB or BRB. Especially since Glyndebourne have decided to perform the original operetta this summer! (New production with Danielle de Niese as Hanna Glawari and John Wilson conducting- I see they're aiming to smash their box office records!) I've even chosen the [currently imaginary] RB/ENB/BRB casts I want to see. 😄 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, Sim said:

Yes, yes, yes to both of the above.  

I used to love seeing BRB dance Upper Room, especially Dorcas Walters.  I wonder whatever happened to her?  

Sim, I Googled Dorcas (what a delightful dancer she was at BRB) and found out that she is now a licensed and experienced Gyrotonic trainer with her own studio in Birmingham called The Art of Movement studio, which opened in 2019 and is still operating (bookings taken online).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Sim, I Googled Dorcas (what a delightful dancer she was at BRB) and found out that she is now a licensed and experienced Gyrotonic trainer with her own studio in Birmingham called The Art of Movement studio, which opened in 2019 and is still operating (bookings taken online).

Spookily, five minutes ago I went on Facebook and there was an ad for her studio! I have never had it before. Talk about Big Brother!  Scary.  

• Like 2

Many suggestions already said as above but my top three would be 

Fille

Bayadere 

Sylvia 

for one act works would love more Balanchine (Serenade, Ballo della Regina, Ballet Imperial, I also love Symphony in C but have seen it before so would like to see others). 
Ashton (Symphonic variations, Birthday Offering, Daphnis and Chloe, anything else not seen in the last 6 years or so). Doubt we’d be so lucky to get another Ashton triple so soon though given it’s planned for spring 2024 so maybe for the following season. 

Les Sylphides 

Les Noces

Rite of Spring (MacMillan or perhaps a new - classic style - reinvention for RB)

for ENB I’d like to see them bring back Raymonda as I missed that first time round. Would also like to see them diversify their rep and continue with commissioning diverse choreographers, as well as continue to bring little seen work in the UK like Balanchine, Justin Peck, Forsythe, Robbins, Bausch etc. Also I know people don’t seem to like her on this forum but I actually quite like Pam Tanowitz’s work so would be happy to see more of her work although not necessarily at RB. 

Realistically given the past few formulaic years think we’ll get at RB: 

MacMillan R&J

Sleeping Beauty

Cinderella 

Maybe we’ll have Cinderella at Christmas instead of Nutcracker given its stranglehold post pandemic. If not I expect to see Cinderella revived if not the next season the following one certainly. 

Another “classical” like Giselle, Onegin or even La Fille (but less likely if we have Cinderella as two full length Ashtons…). Coppelia also an option but if we already have family friendly Cinderella then perhaps not. 

Contemporary triple (Wheeldon, MacGregor etc)

Neoclassical triple (Balanchine, maybe Raymonda act 3 again) 

Potential for a wildcard - maybe Alice or something else…

this list may also be too long as recently we don’t have that many programmes anyway and I expect R&J will be a mammoth run where they might programme for October 2024 for a few months and then also in early 2025 for a second run as well. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JNC said:

I expect R&J will be a mammoth run where they might programme for October 2024 for a few months and then also in early 2025 for a second run as well. 

Pleeeeease not!!!

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, capybara said:

Pleeeeease not!!!

Why not? I’m sure there will be some exciting R+J debuts, that would be my main reason for going anyway - given that I went so frequently in 2021/22.

Hoping for Joseph Sissens as Romeo (which looks very likely given he performed it on the Japan tour this year) with Isabella Gasparini/Mariko Sasaki as Juliet, and hopefully many others.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, capybara said:

Pleeeeease not!!!

I agree but that’s the formula they’re going with for swan lake and if my memory isn’t failing me they’ve already done this with R&J last season as well…

I agree I’d rather not have this as it restricts the diversity of the programme/repertoire but with so many principals and casting choices, and the fact the pricing for R&J is always so high if I were to bet (a nominal sum!) I’d guess this is what they will do! 

14 hours ago, TSR101 said:

(there Manon is just a rubbish version of the RBs so I can live without them ever doing that again!)

While I didn't like ENB's Manon production as much as the RB's I still want ENB to revive it so I can see Frola as Des Grieux again.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

While I didn't like ENB's Manon production as much as the RB's I still want ENB to revive it so I can see Frola as Des Grieux again.

Yes the sets may not be so lavish as RB’s one but the choreography and the music is the same! My favourite Manon of all time was ENB with Alina Cojocaru and Joseph Caley, it’s all about the casting! 

But to be honest I’d rather see other bits of the rep rather than Manon which RB are already doing this year…diversity seems to be a thing of the past. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I have to see Frola as Des Grieux for the first time! And am still hoping to see Shiori Kase will get her long held wish fulfilled - dancing Manon. Ooh, I'd love to see Kase and Frola paired together as Manon and Des Grieux, with Ken Saruhashi and Emily Suzuki as Lescaut and his mistress. And in another cast: Katja Khaniukova/Aitor Arrieta/Daniel McCormick/Ivana Bueno as Manon/ Des Grieux/ Lescaut/ Mistress.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Another one here voting for Ronald Hynd's The Merry Widow to be staged by RB (given that Hynd is a former RB dancer) or another large British company like ENB or BRB. Especially since Glyndebourne have decided to perform the original operetta this summer! (New production with Danielle de Niese as Hanna Glawari and John Wilson conducting- I see they're aiming to smash their box office records!) I've even chosen the [currently imaginary] RB/ENB/BRB casts I want to see. 😄 

I too have chosen my imaginary casts.  Did anyone ever see Marianela Nunez dance a Merry Widow pas de deux with Gary Avis at the Annette Page tribute in 2019?  I’ve only just found out about this and would love to have seen it - she was a lovely Hanna with the Colon Theatre Ballet.  I’ve never been to Glyndebourne, but I adore the Merry Widow and think John Wilson will be a brilliant conductor for it.  Hmmm, better get saving.

I so wish they would honour Hynd while he is still with us.  Can we get our own company together and crowdfund or something? 😆

Another wish I have is to see Giorgi Potskhishvili in something like Le Corsaire or Spartacus.

• Like 2