RB Nutcracker Dec/Jan 23/24

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

I'm unashamedly excited about the Weds matinee when I will see Will and Fumi again. Also Marianna and Joshua Junker who I have not yet seen together.  Plus the new Drosselmeyer!    

Ditto!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Its definitely a bumper week at the ROH that kicks off tonight with a terrific combo of:

Sarah Lamb, Ryoichi Hirano, Thomas Whitehead, Meaghan Grace Hinkis, Giacomo Rovero.

This is the cast we are seeing on Friday’s matinee - our first time to the ROH - so excited! 

• Like 9

Having missed a chunk of Act II when the picture vanished during the live cinecast last Tuesday, I decided to go to the encore today to see the bit I'd missed (various other reasons too). The reason I went to the live screening rather than the encore in the first place was because I already had this evening's live performance booked & I thought 2 Nutcrackers in a day might be a bit much. However now I'm doing 2 in a day & am currently on a train half way between Cambridge & London. Thank goodness The Nutcracker isn't a 3 hour 3 act ballet or I wouldn't have had much time to squeeze in the train journey.

I'm quite happy with this evening's cast list, especially Leticia Dias as the Rose Fairy as I've not yet seen her in that role, which feels remiss of me considering I have seen her as the SPF!

(PS The doctor I saw on Friday night wasn't much help with my blocked tear duct but fortunately on Saturday night I managed to "pop" the lump in the corner of my eye so while I've still got a bit of pain, doubtless I've got inflammation in my sinuses that'll take time to die down, it's a lot less, and I'm not having to wipe my eye every 5 mins.)

• Like 6

Just an observation:t I recognised a familiar name on tonight's cast sheet for Nutcracker and on several previous performances:  Alfie Napolitano, who portrays Fritz, previously danced Clara's brother in English National Ballet's production of Nutcracker last season and also performed in their Nutcracker the season before that. In that production he's named Freddie.

I thought I recognised the name! It is indeed he - maybe he switched schools from Tring Park School of the Performing Arts to Royal Ballet School. He was dancing Freddie in the ENB performance we attended last season and was very good. It would be a hoot if he was cast as Fritz at the RB performance we're seeing this season! 😄 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Just an observation:t I recognised a familiar name on tonight's cast sheet for Nutcracker and on several previous performances:  Alfie Napolitano, who portrays Fritz, previously danced Clara's brother in English National Ballet's production of Nutcracker last season and also performed in their Nutcracker the season before that. In that production he's named Freddie.

I thought I recognised the name! It is indeed he - maybe he switched schools from Tring Park School of the Performing Arts to Royal Ballet School. He was dancing Freddie in the ENB performance we attended last season and was very good. It would be a hoot if he was cast as Fritz at the RB performance we're seeing this season! 😄 

Having been ENB’s first Freddie, Joseph Sissens moved from Tring to the RBS.

• Like 2

Well just had an unexpected mini Nutcracker treat on the TV by way of the Simpsons just now!! 
They used part of the Party scene, the Russian Dance and the music from end of Act one pas de deux to accompany the storyline tonight!! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

I'm unashamedly excited about the Weds matinee when I will see Will and Fumi again. Also Marianna and Joshua Junker who I have not yet seen together.  Plus the new Drosselmeyer!    

me too.   Booked a last minute late return for this 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Having been ENB’s first Freddie, Joseph Sissens moved from Tring to the RBS.

Yes, I think the first ENB Nutcracker I saw in 2010 had Joseph Sissens as Freddie! I wish I could re-live that performance, as it also featured Vadim Muntagirov as lead in the waltz of the flowers…

Sadly I can’t fit in any RB Nuts this year, but was hoping to make up for it next year. Disappointed to hear that won’t be the case, although I’m already excited about Cinderella.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LinMM said:

Hope you better soon taxi4ballet! Your tree sounds wonderful. I wonder which sugar plum gets the top spot at the top! 

I have an angel in a burgundy dress on top of the tree, who looks remarkably like one of the angels who glide about like daleks in the RB Nutcracker.🤣

• Like 6

1 hour ago, CCL said:

Yes, I think the first ENB Nutcracker I saw in 2010 had Joseph Sissens as Freddie! I wish I could re-live that performance, as it also featured Vadim Muntagirov as lead in the waltz of the flowers…

Sadly I can’t fit in any RB Nuts this year, but was hoping to make up for it next year. Disappointed to hear that won’t be the case, although I’m already excited about Cinderella.

There was a tv documentary series about that ENB Nutcracker with Joe and Vadim in it, we did have the programmes stored on our digibox for a while, but they got culled by accident. 

• Like 2

I thought this evening's cast were very good but I don't feel it fair to comment in detail as I found concentrating difficult because my anxiety levels were through the roof. If I hadn't been with a friend, who was seeing the production for the first time, I fear I would have repeated my Don Q mid-act early exit. I hope others who were able to experience the performance in a normal manner will be able to make more useful comments.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I thought this evening's cast were very good but I don't feel it fair to comment in detail as I found concentrating difficult because my anxiety levels were through the roof. If I hadn't been with a friend, who was seeing the production for the first time, I fear I would have repeated my Don Q mid-act early exit. I hope others who were able to experience the performance in a normal manner will be able to make more useful comments.

Your comments are always interesting. Glad the cast were good :) 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Well done for staying until the end, Dawnstar.  I hope your friend enjoyed it, and I am glad your eye is on the mend. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

There was a tv documentary series about that ENB Nutcracker with Joe and Vadim in it, we did have the programmes stored on our digibox for a while, but they got culled by accident. 

This will be one of the episodes of the 3 part 'Agony and Ecstasy' - I'm sure that I've seen this on YouTube.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

I have an angel in a burgundy dress on top of the tree, who looks remarkably like one of the angels who glide about like daleks in the RB Nutcracker.🤣

Or “Angels on Heelies” as my daughter remarked when she was little. ☺️

• Like 4

18 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

Well, with the repeated uncertainty over train strikes, the inability to get time off work on the right day, and now covid, I am missing seeing the Nutcracker altogether this year. Still... at least I can sit here looking at my Nutcracker-themed Christmas tree instead!

Get well soon, dear Taxi!

• Like 2

I feel like the ENB Nutcracker replies could probably be moved to the ENB thread to avoid confusing readers trying to find out about the RB one 😅.  Apologies for the extra work for our lovely mods- I feel like it might have been my fault for mentioning here about our Fritz being previously in the ENB Nutcracker! I did think hard about whether to put it on the ENB or RB one but thought RB would be more relevant as readers would enjoy his current RB performances knowing this information! 😊

Love the beautiful 18 Dec cast photos from @Rob S -that sweet hug for Giacomo Rovero from Meaghan Grace Hinkis, Sarah Lamb looking sweetly regal - as befits her character name - next to her elegant and gracious Prince, Ryoichi Hirano. And the Mirliton ladies have every limb in uncannily perfect angle symmetry! Thanks Rob. 👏 

• Like 3