RBS Annual Show at the ROH 16/7/23

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going on Sunday and looking forward to it especially after the day I have had at work with intermittent power supply since yesterday evening! However what a strange start time of 3pm?  I am sure it was  Saturday lunchtime last year. 

Edited by MJW
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, MJW said:

I am going on Sunday and looking forward to it especially after the day I have had at work with intermittent power supply since yesterday evening! However what a strange start time of 3pm?  I am sure it was  Saturday lunchtime last year. 

I agree.  I wish it started at 1pm.  

• Like 2

I think in recent years the Annual Performance has often been Saturday midday and next year it reverts to that time on 6 July, a week earlier.

Sunday matinees are impossible to do as a day trip for me as the first Sunday train doesn’t arrive in Euston until just before 3pm. But this year I’m very pleased to be seeing Don Carlo on the Saturday evening and can get home on Sunday after the Royal Ballet School’s performance. I’m even using my free Standard Premium return ticket as I’d bought sufficient tickets to qualify for Avanti Gold card membership. A very satisfying way to bring the curtain down on the 2022-23 season.

• Like 11

Good to see that Konservatoriet has been staged and coached  by Diana Cuni - many will remember her as a wonderful Bournonville dancer, and her own performance in the pas de trois from the ballet (with Gudrun Bojesen and Ulrik Birkkjaer) was one of the highlights of the RDB dancers' brief visit to the Peacock Theatre in 2015, just before she retired.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Jane S said:

Good to see that Konservatoriet has been staged and coached  by Diana Cuni - many will remember her as a wonderful Bournonville dancer, and her own performance in the pas de trois from the ballet (with Gudrun Bojesen and Ulrik Birkkjaer) was one of the highlights of the RDB dancers' brief visit to the Peacock Theatre in 2015, just before she retired.

Gosh - and wasn't that visit way too short!  

• Like 2

Hugely enjoyed yesterday’s annual performance. Highlights for me were the Mozart Sechs Tanze, brilliantly performed, with I think five of the dancers joining the Royal Ballet’s Aud Jebsen Programme (there is a sixth), and Takademe, an astonishing performance by Caspar Lench (one of the five in the Mozart). I was rather taken with the Romanian folk dances performed by the White Lodge students, not just the dancing but the panache they displayed with their percussion sticks. Always good to see a Two Pigeons extract, the closing Pas de  deux, albeit no pigeons on this occasion. And of course the Grand Defile brought the house down.

I did wonder whether the balance was quite right: modern pieces predominated and were excellently performed whereas I thought dancers seemed not quite as at ease in the more classical pieces.

Congratulations to all students and the staff who joined the curtain call before leaving the stage to the dancers and conductor Paul Murphy.

I see the performance has been filmed so hopefully it will be made available to Royal Ballet School Friends as last year.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, JohnS said:

Hugely enjoyed yesterday’s annual performance. Highlights for me were the Mozart Sechs Tanze, brilliantly performed, with I think five of the dancers joining the Royal Ballet’s Aud Jebsen Programme (there is a sixth), and Takademe, an astonishing performance by Caspar Lench (one of the five in the Mozart). I was rather taken with the Romanian folk dances performed by the White Lodge students, not just the dancing but the panache they displayed with their percussion sticks. Always good to see a Two Pigeons extract, the closing Pas de  deux, albeit no pigeons on this occasion. And of course the Grand Defile brought the house down.

I did wonder whether the balance was quite right: modern pieces predominated and were excellently performed whereas I thought dancers seemed not quite as at ease in the more classical pieces.

Congratulations to all students and the staff who joined the curtain call before leaving the stage to the dancers and conductor Paul Murphy.

I see the performance has been filmed so hopefully it will be made available to Royal Ballet School Friends as last year.

Thanks for this nice review.

I kept checking into this thread and was surprised that no one had posted 😯

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, RobR said:

Thanks for this nice review.

I kept checking into this thread and was surprised that no one had posted 😯

I would have liked to do so but I couldn’t see well enough to speak fairly (see my post under audience behaviour).

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

good review JohnS, outstanding performances from all the students.

Are you sure about the availability of the recording to Friends of the School? I am a Friend but never been offered a copy, I thought it was made available to parents of students but that was all.

12 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

Are you sure about the availability of the recording to Friends of the School? I am a Friend but never been offered a copy, I thought it was made available to parents of students but that was all.

For the last two years (i.e. the years in which a recording has been made of the performance) there has been a short period during which the Friends of the School have had internet access to the recording. 

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

Hopefully we’ll find out fairly soon if a recording is made available. I’m afraid I hadn’t realised there is a new RBS Members scheme - I’m sure there are important emails that I don’t pay sufficient attention to. I certainly enjoyed watching Yondering several times last year having been very taken with the live performance.

• Like 1

Our first RBS ROH show and how fabulous it was! We absolutely adored the Defile, they really showcased the students and it was exciting to see how the pupils develop to pre-professional - it had exhilarating choreography and it showed the wonderful dynamics of the students. Lots of pieces were wonderful but I do agree with above, Don Q was mostly well presented but I would have liked to have seen more character portrayal. Other pieces definitely excelled - Takademe was brilliant, Sechs Tanze was extremely entertaining, Bold was excellently performed and it was fabulous to see how the dancers so easily adapt, the Roman Folk dance was very well rehearsed and Four Seasons was spendid/ beautifully danced. Well done to all the students and staff, I will definitely book to see this again. I would definitely be interested in becoming a friend if recordings are offered, I would be happy to make a donation to watch - I will follow the post with interest!

• Like 5