Royal Ballet Casting for Autumn 2023-24

Guest oncnp

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

I have no information as to the nature and seriousness of her injury.  However, your use of “injured” suggests scepticism on your part.  
Please consider that:
1. An injury sustained at any time can prevent the rehearsal and preparation of a role meaning that, though fitness has been regained by a performance date, the published performances cannot proceed. Advance notice of Miss Osipova’s replacement was sent which would suggest the injury was sustained in or before the rehearsal period and that she was already in recovery, but unfortunately not recovered enough, when her performances were scheduled.

2. The nature/seriousness of an injury informs and dictates the recovery time and so, though not able to dance ‘on the night’, a dancer could be fit to dance a few days later either at the ROH or elsewhere.

eg. A muscle pull is quicker to recover from than a tear or break.

3. As has been mentioned by another member, different roles have different demands and so a dancer could be ‘fit’ to dance one part eg Juliet and not another eg Kitri. 

Yes, I went through all these thought processes. It just seems strange to have immediately cancelled the Don Q performances whilst still planning to dance somewhere else a few days later. (By 'strange' I don't mean I'm doubting the fact of the injury - just the decision-making involved.)

Edited by bridiem
Sentence added
  • Like 1

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Natalia Osipova was definitely injured while rehearsing Don Q (source RB dancers who witnessed the incident).

I am all in favour of dancers appearing abroad, especially given that many Principals have so few shows with the RB. However, the 'home team' should surely come first, including pausing for thought if dancing elsewhere  might 'look bad' in relation to any withdrawal from performances at home - which is the issue here.

For this reason, whatever the contractual arrangements and however attractive the terms of engagement, it might have been wise for Osipova to have withdrawn from Abu Dhabi or have been advised to do so. (And, yes, I appreciate that there are risks involved for a Director who makes a stand on things like this.)

• Like 1

If you look back at the original post

the implication is that she had been injured and was rehabbing the injury, but that it would be risky to try and (prepare for?)/dance her originally scheduled performances.  Don Q is a highly demanding ballet on both principals.  I really don't think there's anything to see here. 

• Like 7

On 10/10/2023 at 22:36, MoVR said:

I'm pretty sure in Ancient Greek classes we used to say A-ne-moy, but, due to changing pronounciation rules over the years, in Modern Greek it would in fact be pronounced A-ne-mi. So I guess both could be correct :))

The earlier discussion about classical Greek took me back many moons to when my children and their friends sneaked off to hail a passing taxi for a ride to Ancient Greece. This has, of course, since become embedded in local legend but must have provided a real laugh at the time for the taxi driver and the local shopkeeper who rushed out to haul them back.

• Like 3

On 11/10/2023 at 21:55, Silke H said:

An "injured" Miss Osipova has been spotted guesting in Abu Dhabi:  R&J with Reece Clarke

Natalia was not ‘guesting’ in Abu Dhabi last night. 

It was her own show with other dancers as invited guests including Reece Clarke partnering her in Valse Triste by Ratmansky and MacMillan’s R&J balcony pdd, Jason Kittelberger in at least 3 of his creations (not en pointe)and she performed Dying Swan.  I’ve seen video of these.  In my opinion all these together are much less stress than Kitri.  

I’ve no idea what her contract obligations are for her own shows.  I do know it was fully sold out at the Emirates Palace in Abu Dhabi.  

FYI guests included

- Yonah Acosta and Maria Baranova from Munich

- Takumi Miyake and Kiera Sun from ABT studio company

- Daria Pavlenko and Pavel Glukhov, freelance dancers from Moscow

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyWQCk_I1lc/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Edited by FionaM
Typos, and add instagram link
  • Thanks 5

Further to the above, I do know she cancelled an appearance in Japan in September 2023 due to the same injury.  She was the only ballet dancer for this event, and so the choreographer Yuka Oishi had to step-in at late notice.  I’m sure that audience will also have been disappointed to not see Natalia. 

• Like 2

Just noticed belatedly that Viola Pantuso will be dancing as Clara in the Nutcracker with james Hay as Hans Peter....what a role, and partnership,  for her at the start of only her second full season! Unfortunately for me it's pre-Christmas, and all Nutcracker seats for that period are  currently  shown as sold out... 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Just noticed belatedly that Viola Pantuso will be dancing as Clara in the Nutcracker with james Hay as Hans Peter....what a role, and partnership,  for her at the start of only her second full season! Unfortunately for me it's pre-Christmas, and all Nutcracker seats for that period are  currently  shown as sold out... 

I've sorta lucked in, as I went straight for Yasmine Naghdi's SPF - so, pretty spectacular cast all round there!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

I’m most likely to be teaching my grandpa to suck eggs here….but, stay optimistic, early published Nutcracker castings are notoriously ‘finger in the wind’ due to illness and injury as the winter kicks in. 
Viola Pantuso may get extra shifts as did Mariko Sasaki last season. Scheduled only to dance one SPF on 23rd (?) December Mariko took up the baton post Christmas and danced several more unscheduled performances covering for those indisposed.

Similarly more tickets will often be released nearer the date. It’s my personal theory that if all shows pre-Christmas are showing ‘sold out’ it’s more likely that the harder to sell post Christmas ones will be taken up by families/individuals longing to see any Nutcracker.

There’s an off-sale relaxed performance with VP & JH on 9th December. If these tickets don’t get taken up by those invited to buy them, they may be released for general sale. A relaxed performance may be a challenge or it may be no different to any other Nutcracker during the Christmas holidays. It’d be an experience to say the least and I applaud the ROH for experimenting in this way.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Sim said:

I think I have missed this….what’s a relaxed performance please?

9 DECEMBER 2023

SATURDAY, 1PM
PAUL HAMLYN CHRISTMAS TREAT | INVITED AUDIENCE
MAIN STAGE - RELAXED ENVIRONMENT - SENSORY ADAPTED

GUIDANCE: Content suitable for all, subject to House rules

Conducted by Andrew Litton
CAST
Mariko Sasaki, Joseph Sissens, Gary Avis, Viola Pantuso, James Hay

Not available

ONLY PEOPLE ELIGIBLE FOR PAUL HAMLYN CHRISTMAS TREAT CAN BOOK
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

For people who may have issues attending a standard performance, e.g. people on the autistic spectrum.

I’ve been to a couple of these in other venues. Some audience members will need to stand up or walk around; others may have to shout a bit. But, as it says, it’s a relaxed  performance and everyone there needs to ‘chill’ and enjoy,  whatever might be happening around them.

These kinds of initiatives are so important.

• Like 5

I booked for two Nutcrackers and specifically booked one of them because of the supporting roles Viola Pantuso and James Hay on 19th …and had Yasmine as SP as a bonus extra!! Although Yasmine with Fumi are very much becoming my main go to dancers now!    I’ve never seen Yasmine or Ball in these roles so that is a good booking! 
Im also going on 21st which I booked for main dancers as this was originally going to be Magri and Corrales (now Magri and Reece Clarke) As it happens it’s Sae Maeda and Sissens as Clara and Hans so that’s going to be a really good booking too!!! 
I can’t bring myself to go to a Nutcracker after January 1st though! 
It’s really a pre Christmas treat for me but can stretch it to New Years Day. 
Certainly the middle of January doesn’t feel right ……though if they announced suddenly that Corrales/ Magri, Corrales / Dias or Corrales/Takada performances were to take place I might make an exception! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Oh blast.  I thought I'd had one of those in my basket - I think for the 22nd - but it's not showing up :(

10 minutes ago, capybara said:

But not yet changed on the website!
Concerned for Steven's well-being but feeling very sorry indeed for Anna Rose

It is now

Was looking for tickets to see what everyone was raving about.   Had the prices been more reasonable I was going to take a punt but too expensive (for me) for dancers I'm not really interested in.

Edited by oncnp

Surprised they used Viola Pantuso for the relaxed performance, I would have thought someone who was experienced in the role (or even being in a solo role full stop) would have been a better choice; it must be very distracting to have noise, lights up etc, I would think she'd have enough to focus on in her debut! Very best of luck to her though, extremely excited already to see her progress. Was actually a bit surprised she wasn't promoted last season. 

Glad I'm not the only Grinch who hates post-Christmas Nutcracker! I guess they do them as it'll be too much to ask the dancers to prep for a new shows over the holiday, but if they alternated Nutcracker with something else (like a triple bill (including Les Patineurs for example as I've never seen it!)) they could move to a few more performances of that post Christmas before launching another big production, giving them a nice relaxing start to the new year. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, oncnp said:

It is now

Was looking for tickets to see what everyone was raving about.   Had the prices been more reasonable I was going to take a punt but too expensive (for me) for dancers I'm not really interested in.

Ticket returns now popping up on the ROH, currently prices from £14.  you might want to keep checking

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ellyb said:

Glad I'm not the only Grinch who hates post-Christmas Nutcracker! 

You aren't!!  I never go after 24th December, unless it's someone I desperately want to see.  Am thinking about Annette Buvoli January 1st but I'm not sure it's a good idea for me to commit to that date!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

Don Quixote cast change just announced, as follows.

TUESDAY 17 OCTOBER, 7:30pm

Anna Rose O'Sullivan is replaced by Fumi Kaneko as Kitri.

Steven McRae is replaced by William Bracewell as Basilio.

I cannot book for tomorrow as well! I just MUST NOT! 😱

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sim said:

You aren't!!  I never go after 24th December, unless it's someone I desperately want to see.  Am thinking about Annette Buvoli January 1st but I'm not sure it's a good idea for me to commit to that date!!

Same here. Only can be seen before Christmas! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Richard LH said:

I noticed that as soon as the Nutcracker casting was announced & would like to see her but unfortunately I saw everyone else in that cast last season and, as I can't afford to see many Nutcrackers, I feel I should select casts where I haven't seen the majority of the dancers in their roles before.

3 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

For people who may have issues attending a standard performance, e.g. people on the autistic spectrum.

I think they only work for some people in the target audience though. I'm on the autistic spectrum & the idea of a relaxed performance makes me shudder! What I want is "uptight" performances where everyone sits still & shuts up throughout!

15 minutes ago, Sim said:

I seem to be one of the few people who has no particular preference in seeing Nutcrackers either before or after Christmas. I'd like to see Buvoli's SPF debut but the trains for New Year's Day are looking conspicuous by their abscence so I don't think I'll be able to get there.

I'm rather surprised at there being a full cast change for tomorrow evening. Maybe Sambe isn't available to partner O'Sullivan?

• Like 3