Royal Ballet Casting for Autumn 2023-24

Guest oncnp

25 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Or, as the ROH is so fond of telling us each and every time the website crashes, clear the cache ... 

Lol, I remember them telling people that on the day booking opend! This version of the website is one of the poorer versions they've had. There is one other final option I've tried when a website just doesn't function- I've once asked someone I trust and who trusts me, to book the tickets for me and I've paid them back the money. That's extreme  though- usually, waiting an hour  or changing devices solves the  problem for mr.

Edited by Emeralds

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the frustration and that the comments above were not entirely serious, but while we don't know what the underlying cause of the website problem is, it's a bit unfair to say the whole team should be got rid of. Websites like this are complicated things and very often it's hard to diagnose what's going wrong, especially when there appears to be no rhyme or reason as to who is affected - they could well be struggling to replicate the problem and are therefore working in the dark.

I get that the "advice" may look like they're blaming the end users but I very much doubt that's the case: while they try to find a fix they're just giving tips that will at least help some people. Would we prefer that they just say tough luck, come back in six months?

• Like 4

I get that websites which need to interact with users represent a complex business

undertaking.
However, among other things, the ROH’s is its primary vehicle for sales and a business of that size should be able to create and maintain something which is fit for purpose.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I understand the frustration and that the comments above were not entirely serious, but while we don't know what the underlying cause of the website problem is, it's a bit unfair to say the whole team should be got rid of. Websites like this are complicated things and very often it's hard to diagnose what's going wrong, especially when there appears to be no rhyme or reason as to who is affected - they could well be struggling to replicate the problem and are therefore working in the dark.

I get that the "advice" may look like they're blaming the end users but I very much doubt that's the case: while they try to find a fix they're just giving tips that will at least help some people. Would we prefer that they just say tough luck, come back in six months?

Agreed. Running a website is complicated but that's their job. And to be honest I have never had much of a problem.

But.......the same problems keep appearing and are never truly "fixed".

What galls me most is their attitude. Yes, I do think they are blaming the end user. No one ever appears to check their work. I was told in the initial DonQ fiasco that no, everything's working fine, All they had to do was look and they would have known everything wasn't "fine" but apparently no one did.  

So yes, I think the proverbial root and branch clean up is necessary

Edited by oncnp

I tried the discount code for the Cellist and whilst it was accepted for 2 November, when it came to potentially purchasing a ticket, no discounted price was available. The discount was available for the earlier performance I tried. I take some assurance that it looks as if the discounts are only available for the first three performances which I think is in the email offer but I’ve had no email from ROH.

1 minute ago, JohnS said:

I tried the discount code for the Cellist and whilst it was accepted for 2 November, when it came to potentially purchasing a ticket, no discounted price was available. The discount was available for the earlier performance I tried. I take some assurance that it looks as if the discounts are only available for the first three performances which I think is in the email offer but I’ve had no email from ROH.

Yes, it is the first three performances only (at least at this point)

1 minute ago, oncnp said:

Agreed. Running a website is complicated. And to be honest I have never had much of a problem.

But.......the same problems keep appearing and are never truly "fixed".

What galls me most is their attitude. Yes, I do think they are blaming the end user. No one ever appears to check their work. I was told in the initial DonQ fiasco that no, everything's working fine, All they had to do was look and they would have known everything wasn't "fine" but apparently no one did.  

So yes, I think the proverbial root and branch clean up is necessary

But do we know that the Don Q fiasco *was* an IT problem rather than a mistake by whoever looks after ticket prices? When an opera singer's name is mistakenly loaded into a ballet cast list, that wouldn't normally be down to IT, it's just a content editor screwing up (not helped by the lack of checks that goes with not having a proper workflow set-up - but that's another story). Without knowing who's responsible for loading prices into seat plans my assumption would be that this also is not within IT's remit.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, capybara said:

I get that websites which need to interact with users represent a complex business

undertaking.
However, among other things, the ROH’s is its primary vehicle for sales and a business of that size should be able to create and maintain something which is fit for purpose.

I agree, and obviously they need to fix it! And I've said several times that it was probably a serious mistake for the website to be developed in-house. But the team running it now is probably not very closely related to the team who developed it - which presents its own problems - and has to deal with the fallout from decisions made 5 years ago or more.

The ROH as an organisation can be at fault without everyone in it being to blame.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

But do we know that the Don Q fiasco *was* an IT problem rather than a mistake by whoever looks after ticket prices? When an opera singer's name is mistakenly loaded into a ballet cast list, that wouldn't normally be down to IT, it's just a content editor screwing up (not helped by the lack of checks that goes with not having a proper workflow set-up - but that's another story). Without knowing who's responsible for loading prices into seat plans my assumption would be that this also is not within IT's remit.

Good point. And I suspect the original problem wasn't IT. 

But don't they test run? Don't they check when something goes live to make sure it's working properly? (Good grief, I post a link on this forum, and I go back and make sure it works). Don't they listen when multiple people say something is amiss, not just "clear your cache"? The answer to all appears to be no. That's the attitude, the carelessness, that gets me. 

@capybara hit it on the head. The website is the primary sales interface. It's also the organization's receptionist, the first point of contact when opinions are formed.  We'll come back if the website doesn't work.  How many of those precious new customers the ROH needs will? 

Edited by oncnp

33 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Yes, it is the first three performances only (at least at this point)

Many thanks @oncnp. I thought some people had suggested the code was working for other dates (there was certainly a code accepted message) but I don’t think that led to a discounted price that could be selected before checking out.

Just now, JohnS said:

Many thanks @oncnp. I thought some people had suggested the code was working for other dates (there was certainly a code accepted message) but I don’t think that led to a discounted price that could be selected before checking out.

Another website glitch. It should have said "Sorry, this performance isn't eligible" for the discount but instead it "accepted" the code, implying there were discounts, and then of course (and quite properly) didn't show any.  Another source of potential frustration that could have been avoided.  It's not rocket science if even I can figure it out. 

5 hours ago, PeterS said:

WB is leading one of the Dante casts which might turn out to be a cheaper way of watching him dance live. 

I’m afraid not even the wonderful Mr Bracewell could persuade me to book Dante.  I  ended up booking a different cast for Manon due to dates not aligning and needing a matinee, but I really did want to see his Des Grieux and have a bit of buyer’s regret over the tickets I did book.  Maybe I could take out a second mortgage / sell a kidney and treat myself to another ticket to see him.

I’ve only seen his Romeo in the filmed version and I thought he was incredible - he would definitely be my first choice Romeo if they stage it again soon.  Anyway, I shall stop hi-jacking the thread with my William Bracewell fangirling.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, OnePigeon said:

I’m afraid not even the wonderful Mr Bracewell could persuade me to book Dante.  I  ended up booking a different cast for Manon due to dates not aligning and needing a matinee, but I really did want to see his Des Grieux and have a bit of buyer’s regret over the tickets I did book.  Maybe I could take out a second mortgage / sell a kidney and treat myself to another ticket to see him.

I’ve only seen his Romeo in the filmed version and I thought he was incredible - he would definitely be my first choice Romeo if they stage it again soon.  Anyway, I shall stop hi-jacking the thread with my William Bracewell fangirling.

Dancers Diary has posted a ‘best of Will & Fumi’ rehearsing Don Quixote to his IG account. From the clip it looks unmissable.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyLGih8gYVw/?igshid=NzZhOTFlYzFmZQ==

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

Dancers Diary has posted a ‘best of Will & Fumi’ rehearsing Don Quixote to his IG account. From the clip it looks unmissable.

Indeed...I was just  about to post the same link. I think those of us lucky enough to be going to this coming Saturday matinee are in for a treat! 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, PeterS said:

Oh my!  Their dancing is truly breathtaking - such beautiful, elegant lines and wonderful strength, control and precision.  If I can get a Friday Rush I may have to bite the bullet and go - we will have to live on baked beans for a while 😬.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Judging by this tweet the second cast of The Cellist remains as originally advertised but there's still no sign of any Cellist casting reappearing on the ROH's website....

The casting is now back up for The Cellist. 

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, JohnS said:

The casting is now back up for The Cellist. 

Good. The urgent need to do that was part of my 'thing or two' email to Alex Beard.

I'm not normally one to correspond with 'top brass' but, in the context of their desperate need to shift tickets, I felt that I had to.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Oh good. Maybe someone at the ROH saw the comments, including mine, and realised they needed to do something!

Probably made no difference but I emailed last Friday. The reply today just pointed back to the booking page at which point I told them there was no casting, which they would gave known had they 1. Actually read my question or  2. Followed the link and actually looked at it.

Carelessness continues...

Edited by oncnp

6 hours ago, PeterS said:

Oh my! I have got in from work late tonight after training and wow! To say I am excited is an understatement! Thank you for posting this.

5 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Indeed...I was just  about to post the same link. I think those of us lucky enough to be going to this coming Saturday matinee are in for a treat! 

No kidding. I cannot wait!

5 hours ago, Sim said:

Can’t wait!  

Ditto!

3 hours ago, OnePigeon said:

Oh my!  Their dancing is truly breathtaking - such beautiful, elegant lines and wonderful strength, control and precision.  If I can get a Friday Rush I may have to bite the bullet and go - we will have to live on baked beans for a while 😬.

Lol! I'll be in the dog house when Mr Linnzi finds out what I've spent on tickets! I rather like baked beans! 🤣

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Henry said:

Sorry, if this has been covered elsewhere - but Sarah Lamb doesn't seem to be cast for anything until Nutcracker.  Does anyone know about this?  Thanks

Sarah has never danced Don Quixote. Her not being used this autumn (combined with the poor tickets sales) was one of the reasons why I suggested up-thread that the casting of one or more Principals in Anemoi could have been helpful even though the piece was made on the younger/more junior members of the Company. 
Controversial, I know🫢 !

38 minutes ago, capybara said:

Sarah has never danced Don Quixote. Her not being used this autumn (combined with the poor tickets sales) was one of the reasons why I suggested up-thread that the casting of one or more Principals in Anemoi could have been helpful even though the piece was made on the younger/more junior members of the Company. 
Controversial, I know🫢 !

That’s not correct.

Sarah Lamb danced Kitri in the premiere run of Don Quixote with Federico Bonelli in 2013 when Carlos Acosta staged the production. She also danced in the second run in January 2015, with Federico Bonelli and Steven McRae as Basilio (she couldn’t dance the December 2014 performances as she was dancing Alice in a number of the December performances of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland; it was one of the few seasons in recent times where there was no Nutcracker for Christmas.) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Henry said:

Sorry, if this has been covered elsewhere - but Sarah Lamb doesn't seem to be cast for anything until Nutcracker.  Does anyone know about this?  Thanks

I would have booked Don Quixote and Dante Project if her name had been in the cast as Kitri in Don Q and Beatrice in DP! She still might be scheduled for DP - both Dantes (Watson and Bonelli) from the original run have retired but both Beatrices (Lamb and Kaneko) are still dancing with the company. Hopefully the casting of rest of the roles for Dante Project will be announced soon - it would help boost ticket sales.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Hopefully the casting of rest of the roles for Dante Project will be announced soon - it would help boost ticket sales.

I don't think anything beyond heavy discounting and/or 'papering' the auditorium, are going to boost ticket sales

• Like 3

10 hours ago, capybara said:

Controversial, I know🫢 !

Apologies. I meant to say “her not being announced for anything this autumn”.  (A case of too much haste!)

I agree that the announcement of further cast members for Dante (e.g. Lamb and Kaneko) would help to boost sales.