Royal Ballet Cinderella March/April 2023

2 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Thought this evening's Cinderella was simply sublime.  The detailed focus of the stunning step-sisters (the formidable team of Gartside and Hay) made all the difference for me - as opposed to other combinations I've seen.  It let the production and - crucially the audience - not only breathe - but relax sufficiently to fully enter into the story being told as enveloped in the glorious genius of Ashton.  Tonight people on both sides of the footlights not only responded - but listened.  One without the other is always in a way lacking in my book.  Somehow on those occasions the shoe simply doesn't fit - or if it must - it does so somewhat awkwardly.  Kaneko and Bracewell as our heroic protagonists were entirely magical both together and apart as were the corps and the soloists.  This was a very special occasion which glistened rapturously at the pinnacle of the staircase of my own mind's eye.  It was a privilege to be there.  The entire evening was gold tossed. 

What a lovely review! :) 

• Like 9

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so I have to say this. Cinderella is full of some of the most beautiful, strange, inventive, romantic, musical and just breathtakingly brilliant choreography ever created. It shimmers. It creates a world of magic that we don't just see, we experience and become part of. Time changes, and light changes, and thinking changes. Colours become more vivid than usual. And at the end, the slipper fits.

As Cinderella enters the ball with her white gossamer cloak floating and billowing behind her, and the ball guests slowly bow and curtsey before her, they're paying homage not just to a beautiful and mysterious new guest, but to what she embodies: goodness, virtue, love. They recognise it and bow down before it. Which is why the prince has sensed her presence before she even arrives; goodness transcends the physical world and love breaks down material reality. And the subsequent dances for the prince and Cinderella bring them together in a joyful, wondrous expression of both their instant love for each other and the love at the heart of creation.

The only other ballets I can think of that create a world of magic so powerfully are The Dream, and The Firebird.

The performances tonight were magnificent. I loved the Sisters - Bennet Gartside was amusing; James Hay was completely adorable and at times hysterically funny. He also danced extremely well and extremely musically (not surprising, I suppose!). I laughed out loud many times tonight, having been largely bored and embarrassed by the Sisters on opening night. As Bruce said above, Gartside and Hay played it in a way that didn't steal the limelight, and they created real characters, and that let all their scenes breathe and develop as intended. Brilliant.

I also loved Melissa Hamilton's Fairy Godmother - spikier and more jagged than the others I've seen, but fey and magical and (with her red hair) reminding me irresistibly of Moira Shearer. I felt as if I'd been transported back in time.

As for Fumi Kaneko and William Bracewell - what can I say? The sheer beauty and lyricism and joy of Kaneko's dancing expressed all that needed to be said. And Bracewell responded to love with love. He came, he saw, and he loved. End of story.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bridiem said:

OK, so I have to say this. Cinderella is full of some of the most beautiful, strange, inventive, romantic, musical and just breathtakingly brilliant choreography ever created. It shimmers. It creates a world of magic that we don't just see, we experience and become part of. Time changes, and light changes, and thinking changes. Colours become more vivid than usual. And at the end, the slipper fits.

As Cinderella enters the ball with her white gossamer cloak floating and billowing behind her, and the ball guests slowly bow and curtsey before her, they're paying homage not just to a beautiful and mysterious new guest, but to what she embodies: goodness, virtue, love. They recognise it and bow down before it. Which is why the prince has sensed her presence before she even arrives; goodness transcends the physical world and love breaks down material reality. And the subsequent dances for the prince and Cinderella bring them together in a joyful, wondrous expression of both their instant love for each other and the love at the heart of creation.

The only other ballets I can think of that create a world of magic so powerfully are The Dream, and The Firebird.

The performances tonight were magnificent. I loved the Sisters - Bennet Gartside was amusing; James Hay was completely adorable and at times hysterically funny. He also danced extremely well and extremely musically (not surprising, I suppose!). I laughed out loud many times tonight, having been largely bored and embarrassed by the Sisters on opening night. As Bruce said above, Gartside and Hay played it in a way that didn't steal the limelight, and they created real characters, and that let all their scenes breathe and develop as intended. Brilliant.

I also loved Melissa Hamilton's Fairy Godmother - spikier and more jagged than the others I've seen, but fey and magical and (with her red hair) reminding me irresistibly of Moira Shearer. I felt as if I'd been transported back in time.

As for Fumi Kaneko and William Bracewell - what can I say? The sheer beauty and lyricism and joy of Kaneko's dancing expressed all that needed to be said. And Bracewell responded to love with love. He came, he saw, and he loved. End of story.

What a beautiful review, BridieM!  You really capture it all.  Thank you. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Goodness. I felt quite emotional when I read your review. Wonderfully put. I felt the same way last Friday. Pure magic - and love, pure love. I feel like I should give you a standing ovation! :) 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JennyTaylor said:

I can only echo the comments around tonight’s performance. Utterly magical. I just want to stay in the moment the whole cast created. 

I feel exactly the same way. I was completely taken by surprise by how much this cast affected me. It was such a wonderful experience and I want to relive it. What a shame this cast wasn't recorded too. 

• Like 6

BridieM, your review said what I couldn’t and sums up why this ballet makes me feel so emotional- the choreography and music touch me on a deep level. Thank you for your lovely words.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @Bruce Wall and @bridiem for your glorious reviews. 

It was my second and last Cinderella of this run and such a different experience from the first for all the reasons you both articulate so beautifully.

If this cast were dancing again I'd go in a heartbeat. Act 2 was sublime - I confess that I left at that point on a high. I enjoyed the sisters immensely this time for exactly the reasons you both described.

As for the divine Fumi Kaneko and Will Bracewell: they are so special, individually and above all together. 

• Like 18

From the sublime to the mundane...  close up photos reveal so much.  Fumi Kaneko really has gone belt and braces with her shoes!  Ribbons, thick elastic, and another piece of material sewn on in addition, with multiple stitching. That's before the extra stitching on the 'pointy end'! Not much chance of those popping off mid performance and loads of extra support. All this must take forever. No use being a dancer if you hate sewing is it?

Men have it easy...

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Beryl H said:

Looks like the intervals have been reduced to 25 minutes, hurrah!

Last night certainly finished earlier than other shows...I thought my watch had stopped when I checked the time on the walk to Tottenham Court Road tube station....based on EXIF data on my pics my first pic was at 2209 but the same opening shot for other recent shows were 2221 the previous night, 2219, 2218 and various matinees would be the equivalent of 2218-20ish.....but if you look at the digital cast lists they've all been shown as 25 min intervals except for opening night when they were 30 mins (but Act one was listed as 5 mins shorter than all the other shows)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

From the sublime to the mundane...  close up photos reveal so much.  Fumi Kaneko really has gone belt and braces with her shoes!  Ribbons, thick elastic, and another piece of material sewn on in addition, with multiple stitching. That's before the extra stitching on the 'pointy end'! Not much chance of those popping off mid performance and loads of extra support. All this must take forever. No use being a dancer if you hate sewing is it?

Men have it easy...

Fumi could wear Wellington boots and she would still make magic as far as I am concerned! 

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

Men have it easy...

And yet, interestingly, Fumi’s ribbons appear less visible than those used by many other ballerinas.

• Like 2

I notice from the cast sheet that Jonathan Lo conducted the performance last night (and for the rest of the run I believe). Subtle differences in tempi all add up, and this may well have contributed to the overall evening being shorter.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, alisonruss said:

I notice from the cast sheet that Jonathan Lo conducted the performance last night (and for the rest of the run I believe). Subtle differences in tempi all add up, and this may well have contributed to the overall evening being shorter.

The intervals were shorter I believe. Perhaps Jonathan only needs 25mins for his half time oranges, as opposed to Koen's 30mins....

• Like 6

Having sorted through my curtain call photos from the last 2 nights, I do love Bennet Gartside in this one. The way he's brandishing his flowers at Fumi Kaneko looks like he's saying in-character "See Cinderella, I may only be a Stepsister but I get flowers too!" (His facial expression when he was given the flowers was also very funny but I didn't get a photo of that.)

P1600960.jpg4

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Having sorted through my curtain call photos from the last 2 nights, I do love Bennet Gartside in this one. The way he's brandishing his flowers at Fumi Kaneko looks like he's saying in-character "See Cinderella, I may only be a Stepsister but I get flowers too!" (His facial expression when he was given the flowers was also very funny but I didn't get a photo of that.)

P1600960.jpg4

Fab picture, Dawnstar!  Both funny and fun. Thanks for sharing it!

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

I've just been nosing around on the website: the two performances next week where sales were looking sluggish are definitely looking better. Have they unleashed the students on them?

Anyway, after a slow start I think sales have been pretty good considering the length of the run. Maybe they priced it right after all! :) 

• Like 1

I think that I have now seen sufficient performances to venture a few thoughts. First and foremost, for me, Cinderella is a ballet which improves on closer acquaintance and I am now on the positive end of the opinion spectrum overall.

The plusses:

• some extremely beautiful performances from the leads
  • the tour de force from (most of) the ballerinas dancing the name role
  • many opportunities for Principals, First Soloists, Soloists and First Artists to dance The Fairy Godmother and/or a season fairy
  • the gift of the Jester to a number of talented young dancers (take a bow Liam Boswell)
  • Daichi Ikarashi as Napoleon
  • the score and the way it is being played (although the adagio in the pdd  became very slow under the baton of Koen Kessels)
  • some passages of choreography which remind one of the genius of Ashton (and how deceptively difficult his expectations were/are)
  • the fact that the ballet has been returned to the repertoire after much speculation/anticipation and that so many people are obviously enjoying it
  • that sales have picked up, although many seats in the Stalls seem to have been bought by Young ROH Members at something like a 85% reduction

The minuses:

• the less than magical effects (e.g. the ridiculously small exploding pumpkin which is completely disconnected from the coach and the ‘walk-on’ entry of The Fairy Godmother) which have failed to live up to the hype
  • the 'back-lighting’ in Act 1 which makes it difficult to see dancers' faces and the tendency for 'overkill' with the projections onto the flats
  • the second act set with its massive chateau edifice and ramp reducing the depth of space available for dancing and the oversized grasses and flats which take no account of the importance of sightlines in a U-shaped auditorium - [but I have already said enough about this latter issue on here and changes have been made in response to representations to ‘management’]
  • the season fairies' initial costumes which are too cluttered with adornments, too high-waisted and have skirts which cling to the dancers' legs rather than letting us see their line
  • the failure to be brave enough to reduce some of the Step Sisters' sequences (there are repeat passages of music and steps which could be cut with no loss to the narrative)
  • the 'camp' interpretation on the part of one Step Sister in particular - less is more
  • the cutting (in the original making of the ballet) of the Prince searching the world for Cinderella; [the very old-fashioned opening of Act 3 with corps members moving across the front cloth is no substitute]
  • the role of the Prince not being substantial enough; [maybe Ashton didn’t have sufficient male talent to draw on when he made the ballet and, after all, back then, the focus in ballet was very much on the ballerina]

• Like 16

Chers colleagues: this is a ballet!

A charming fairy tale retold in music, dance and mime. The beautiful score so well played by the orchestra, the sublime choreography, the entrancing dancers, the ravishing costumes and sets, the  surprising lighting effects and the illusions all contributing to the magic. 

If you haven't seen it yet do go and try to take some children or even grown ups not well acquainted with ballet. I think it will be a Christmas treat for some seasons to come.

Natalia Osipova is a thrilling dancer and consummate actress and Reece Clarke has a very natural princely demeanor- and a huge jump! I loved it when Natalia was laughing behind her hand at the antics of the Ugly Sisters. The bit where she wheeled excitingly around her Prince several times accelerando was breathtaking and really well conducted by Johnathan Lo.

The Jester was a huge bonus and his athleticism was  quite breathtaking.

Loved it, loved it, loved it. 

Do go.

• Like 14