Ashton's Cinderella - new Royal Ballet production

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I posted the cast sheet just as Amanda posted hers!

Very much looking forward to this evening especially as I'm not seeing this cast in any of the performances I am going to.

I see the running time is 2hrs 45mins

Edited by MJW
  • Like 1

I do like seeing the newer principals still dancing supporting roles, with all of Kaneko, Magri and O'Sullivan in the Nunez/Muntagirov cast. In my opinion, given the sheer number of principals, this should be the norm rather than mass promotions to the first soloist rank and young principals restricted to a handful of performances a year!

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, MildConcern said:

In my opinion, given the sheer number of principals, this should be the norm rather than mass promotions to the first soloist rank and young principals restricted to a handful of performances a year!

I agree. Of course they don't want to be tired out too much when doing super challenging roles like Aurora, but in that case it was so nice to see Fumi getting to do the Lilac Fairy and Aurora - and also Marianela getting to perform Giselle and Myrtha in the last run. I remember hearing on a podcast, those in corps/soloist roles will generally be at the top of their game in terms of technique and stamina as they are on mostly every night, covering for injuries, etc. Of course being at the other extreme - overworked - is also bad, but it must be good for them to have more of a balance instead of longer periods of performance inactivity.
Woolf Works has been so great as there's quite a few principals getting to do the supporting roles.

• Like 4

Guest oncnp
18 minutes ago, Sim said:

I am also looking forward to tonight.  Does anyone recognise this name please (FG in Disguise):

OLGA SABADOCH

Thanks!

There is also a singer by that name listed in an ROH production Tchaikovsky: Cherevichki (The Slippers) and The Tales of Hoffman according to the ROH archives

Edited by oncnp

Guest oncnp
31 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I am glad they explain the unfamiliar, complex story so fully! 😂

I didn't realize there was no evil stepmother in this version though.

2 hours ago, Bluebird said:

I just checked the recording I made of the TV broadcast (recorded December 2022).

Do you mean 2003 Bluebird? I think the Cojocaru and Kobborg  clip I saw was an ROH trailer advertising the  2010/11  ROH run and I now believe this trailer was from  a TV broadcast aired in  December 2003. (In 2011 it seems Alina danced it with Polunin). 

I am not aware of any DVD of Alina's RB Cinderella ....or more  recent TV broadcast ......but am I mistaken? I would have loved to see her full performance...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Do you mean 2003 Bluebird? I think the Cojocaru and Kobborg  clip I saw was an ROH trailer advertising the  2010/11  ROH run and I now believe this trailer was from  a TV broadcast aired in  December 2003. (In 2011 it seems Alina danced it with Polunin). 

I am not aware of any DVD of Alina's RB Cinderella ....or more  recent TV broadcast ......but am I mistaken? I would have loved to see her full performance...

Apologies. I knew the tv broadcast was the January of the year following the December filming but got the years wrong. The filming was December 2003 and the broadcast was January 2004. A DVD was, sadly, never released.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, EVWS said:

Really cool photos, so is Joonhyuk Jun the Jester for the Naghdi cast?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Apologies. I knew the tv broadcast was the January of the year following the December filming but got the years wrong. The filming was December 2003 and the broadcast was January 2004. A DVD was, sadly, never released.

This is the clip I saw...https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DzD2gCpLr2V0&ved=2ahUKEwjmjrmHjvX9AhUSRsAKHZlIBigQwqsBegQIDRAF&usg=AOvVaw1yY4TREnCuT-85iFmKse6V.....she only appears to leave the coach wearing a short transparent cape on this occasion....

• Like 1

Apparently it's an optional black tie dress code on Monday evening. All I can say is just as well it's optional... but it will be nice if some of those downstairs are all dolled up. (I have no capacity for dolling up, I'm afraid.)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Richard LH said:

In the Sibley DVD version she comes down the stairs in her tutu, staring forwards in wonder…there is  a long transparent train attached to her shoulders, held up by the Jester some way behind. She steps normally (for a ballerina!) down about a dozen steps (met about half way down by the Prince who takes her hand)   then  pauses on  pointe, before taking the last three steps on pointe (one hand still held by the Prince) and then she bourrées a long way forward, unsupported on her own (train still held by the Jester, the Prince walking admiringly alongside) to the front of the stage, all this time still staring forwards as if in a dream. It is a really magical moment!

She than “comes to”,  notices and acknowledges the Prince with a courtesy, attendants remove the train, and the dancing begins…..!

I have been catching up with a few clips on YouTube.  In the earlier versions, it is as you say - Cinderella reacts as if she is in a dream, and doesn't acknowledge the prince until she is practically at the front of the stage.  The later versions show Cinderella actively engaging with the prince as she comes down the stairs.  I wonder why it was changed?  I loved the earlier one, it adds to the magic of the moment, as you say.  

• Like 1

They've finally released some Young ROH tickets for 28th-30th after previously saying they weren't going to be on sale for this production. I can't go on those dates, but it's interesting that they've decided to change their minds (when I emailed them about it they seemed very firm). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest oncnp
6 hours ago, capybara said:

Given the hundreds of unsold tickets, I have written to Alex Beard AGAIN about the fact that Cinderella is currently at #11 on the What's On section of the website.

Now #1 in What's On. Don't know if natural progression or just common sense.

and....suddenly there are far fewer seats available for next week than there were about noon today. 

Edited by oncnp

Interesting that the marketing has ramped up so close to opening - wonder if this was always the plan or is a last minute effort to shift more tickets.

the fact there there are still over 100 tickets for all the nights next week (gala and Saturday matinee aside) clearly demonstrates between the ticket pricing / marketing something had gone wrong! 

• Like 3

Guest oncnp
7 minutes ago, JNC said:

Interesting that the marketing has ramped up so close to opening - wonder if this was always the plan or is a last minute effort to shift more tickets.

the fact there there are still over 100 tickets for all the nights next week (gala and Saturday matinee aside) clearly demonstrates between the ticket pricing / marketing something had gone wrong! 

There may still be 100+ available but If you look at the seat maps themselves there are very many  fewer available than there were just hours before. 

Edited by oncnp

2 minutes ago, Sim said:

Well….so far, so fabulous!!  

Yes, absolutely no East German brothels, public lavatorys, basements, Nazis, rifles, rapes, hangings, or other such tired interpolations.

As it’s a rehearsal we can‘t discuss what is in the show but we can say what’s not in it. And at this point, in the first interval, I am willing to bet that no part will be set on a spaceship or in a pool of stagnant water.

If you‘ve been wavering because of fears of ugly modernism, just grab some tickets and go. 

• Like 3