Ashton's Cinderella - new Royal Ballet production

4 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Our local cinema looks pretty full for this evening ...about 250 seats sold at a rough guess - probably  about 5 times as many as were at the Diamond Celebration screening.

Cleary Cinderella is a good sell (In the cinemas at least) 

• Like 1

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Our local cinema looks pretty full for this evening ...about 250 seats sold at a rough guess - probably  about 5 times as many as were at the Diamond Celebration screening.

They moved us to a larger screen for the Diamond Celebration.  I'm hoping they're going to do the same again, otherwise I may have trouble finding somewhere I can actually go.  Which is good news both for the cinema and the ROH, I suppose.

4 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Great news, Richard- I really hope the cinema screenings do well, whether abroad or in the U.K., as RB & ROH need the revenue.

Guest oncnp
4 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Great news, Richard- I really hope the cinema screenings do well, whether abroad or in the U.K., as RB & ROH need the revenue.

Not going to do well in the US as the ROH has chosen not to do any licensing over here. 

Guest oncnp
3 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

😢😢 All the fans of Nunez, Muntagirov, etc, missing out! 😢

When I asked, "various reasons" were cited. They probably think we're all heathens and there aren't enough of those fans to make it worth their while. 

5 minutes ago, oncnp said:

When I asked, "various reasons" were cited. They probably think we're all heathens and there aren't enough of those fans to make it worth their while. 

Yeah, the USA has loads of cities and places and There are probably aren’t enough fans. They Stream it in Obviously, the Uk, Ireland, Maybe a bit Europe but I’m pretty sure that Japan and Australian have it.

Edited by Benjamin
Didn’t re-read it

5 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Livestream Tonight! Who’s tuning In? 

I'm at the Preston Odeon with a friend who's always very excited and appreciative of the cinema screenings as she couldn't see ballet otherwise. The Odeon have put the price up to £20 and no pensioner discounts like there used to be.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, alison said:

My third-local is completely sold out - although admittedly in a smaller screen than the ones I've been to there previously.  My first-local is a neck-aching front row only - and I'm waiting to see if it gets upgraded to a bigger screen, as has previously happened.  If not, that leaves second-local, which I don't like for live screenings as there's no break-out area/food etc. (there are 2 30-minute intervals, which is a long time to kill), and it's always in a wide but not very deep screen, so again neck-aching - or I'll have to go farther afield.

Are you allowed to go outside the building at the intervals for second-local, and come back in again before the show resumes? (They could just check your ticket again, like they would for latecomers.) 

Yes.  I might nip to Sainsbury's.  But that doesn't change the fact that it's still a very wide but not very deep screen, which I find uncomfortable.

By the way, people who can't make tonight might want to check if there's an Encore screening near them.  Those tended to be on Sundays (which might be a more child-friendly time), but I note there are some midweek daytime ones too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Are you allowed to go outside the building at the intervals for second-local, and come back in again before the show resumes? (They could just check your ticket again, like they would for latecomers.) 

yes - see all those smokers outside!

11 minutes ago, alison said:

By the way, people who can't make tonight might want to check if there's an Encore screening near them.  Those tended to be on Sundays (which might be a more child-friendly time), but I note there are some midweek daytime ones too.

Yes - I'm intending to go to the Sunday afternoon showing (2pm) locally.

45 minutes ago, oncnp said:

I know some US cinemas have streamed ballets like San Francisco Ballet in Romeo and Juliet before, which was heavily advertised by SFB and the cinema chain (can’t remember which it was) but I don’t know how much they made. The costs of putting on and connecting up to a live relay are obviously quite high, so I guess the owners must want to be really sure they’ll make a profit.

Interesting point about cinema relays at my local cinema is that they turn conventional assumptions about marketing upside down. The ones that you imagine will sell well don’t, and the ones you think won’t, do. First ever cinema relay they did- Giselle, Bolshoi, sold well (it was a bit of a novelty as they were late to join the cinema relay service). Almost full house in their bigger screen, about 90% full. 

Subsequently-

RB Fille, Bolshoi Don Q, Bolshoi Raymonda- very very few people.

Ausballet Sleeping Beauty, RB Nutcracker- better, about 80% full, but not sold out.

The winner? RB mixed bill with Scarlett’s Viscera, Tchaikovsky PDD, Afternoon of a Faun, Acosta’s Carmen, completely sold out (it wasn’t even full in ROH when I went to see it in person)! 

Bosses should never underestimate their audiences. But all this is  pre-Covid though. My friend who lives outside Boston reported that his local cinema has been sparsely attended since reopening after the pandemic...even for blockbusters.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, alison said:

My third-local is completely sold out - although admittedly in a smaller screen than the ones I've been to there previously.  My first-local is a neck-aching front row only - and I'm waiting to see if it gets upgraded to a bigger screen, as has previously happened.  If not, that leaves second-local, which I don't like for live screenings as there's no break-out area/food etc. (there are 2 30-minute intervals, which is a long time to kill), and it's always in a wide but not very deep screen, so again neck-aching - or I'll have to go farther afield.

Goodness, you have a lot of choice.  I normally go to the Greenwich Picture House, which is often the closest local cinema showing it, and a short bus ride for me.  It is also a wonderful cinema.  However, unbelievably most of the local Odeons are showing it this time, but clearly Bermondsey residents are not huge ballet fans. 

Have they ever done cheaper rates?  I thought the ROH set the cinema ticket prices.  I don't think I have ever paid less that £20 for a ticket.  

9 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

yes - see all those smokers outside!

Bit off topic here, but I just want to add that even vaping has health risks as well as cigarette smoking, and staying outside for too long risks missing a lot of fun videos and pre recorded snippets which are very enjoyable.

We saw Peregrine the Pony getting his “bouquet” during one interval of the La Fille mal gardee cinema relay which was a basket full of carrots and other tasty treats, which Peregrine immediately sampled and enjoyed. So, very very very cute! 😊 You don’t see that in the audience at ROH! Not sure if that moment was included in the DVD. It looked like more of a spontaneous “let’s see who is backstage” moment rather than a pre-filmed segment planned for broadcast. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Goodness, you have a lot of choice.  I normally go to the Greenwich Picture House, which is often the closest local cinema showing it, and a short bus ride for me.  It is also a wonderful cinema.  However, unbelievably most of the local Odeons are showing it this time, but clearly Bermondsey residents are not huge ballet fans. 

Have they ever done cheaper rates?  I thought the ROH set the cinema ticket prices.  I don't think I have ever paid less that £20 for a ticket.  

Prices can vary a lot, Fonty. My local is in a subsidised community building and is the cheapest, the Everyman chain further away is more expensive, and Cineworld even further afield cost the most. (Not actually sure whether that Cineworld multiplex is still operating or run by whom; we don’t travel so far for films any more.) My local charged £15 in 2017 to £17 per ticket pre Covid, and is now charging £18 (not bad, lower than inflation) for Cinderella, for both live and encore screenings. The chains charged £24 to £28 for cinema relays pre-2020. (We’re not in London.)

Actually, I like the sound of your local cinema - it’s like a private viewing! Obviously not great for ROH, but then many more tickets might get sold later today. We also seldom bought our tickets in advance. 😁

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alison said:

I am including ones requiring two buses and/or trains in that :)

Edit: Oops, this didn't send first time.  It was in response to Fonty's post.

The Vue in Croydon (Grant's) seems to have plenty of seats

I have quite a few cinemas iI can drive to, though I prefer the one I usually go to as it's a nice drive there and I like to avoid North London traffic (where the other good cinemas are, though there are a fair few further into Hertfordshire). The cinema is pretty booked out! It's a Cineworld one and has multiple screens and I'm quite surprised. Swan Lake, Diamond Celebration and Nutcracker were nowhere near as full when I attended those.  

• Like 2

Cast list for tonight’s cinema relay performance has been posted on the ROH website (under ticket sales, not cast sheets, at this moment). Same dancers in all roles as first night, 1st April  & 5th April, with the exception of Aiden O’Brien dancing Hairdresser in Act 1 instead of Joonhyuk Jun. (Even the same ROH violinists on stage in Act 1!) 

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/40/cinderella-by-frederick-ashton/cast-list/51557

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jamesrhblack said:

This score is absolutely ravishing and the production is looking very good on the Big Screen, even if we lost the transformation of Crone (who was actually very glamorous) to Fairy Godmother (who, being Fumi Kaneko, was even more so). 

There was no mist, only a brief blackout and both FGs could be seen at the same time 😟

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, oncnp said:

Not going to do well in the US as the ROH has chosen not to do any licensing over here. 

Yes, and I am not at all happy about this.  The closest cinema from my home (Los Angeles) where I can see Cinderella is 1570.3 miles away.    The last ballet I saw in a cinema was during the pandemic and it was the O'Sullivan/Sambe Romeo and Juliet, and it was wonderful.   Pre-pandemic, I had seen Coppelia, The Sleeping Beauty, R & J twice with Gary Avis as Tybalt, Fille, Anastasia, Rhapsody, The Two Pigeons, Manon, and had even driven as far as San Diego (six-hour roundtrip) to see Coppelia  (Nunez/Muntagirov/Avis) and The Sleeping Beauty with Fumi Kaneko.   Fortunately, I will see three Cinderellas at the end of April in London. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Josette said:

Yes, and I am not at all happy about this.  The closest cinema from my home (Los Angeles) where I can see Cinderella is 1570.3 miles away.

Could this have anything to do with the fact that this is a co-production with the National Ballet of Canada? Not sure why it should, but just thinking aloud.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Could this have anything to do with the fact that this is a co-production with the National Ballet of Canada? Not sure why it should, but just thinking aloud.

I would not think so.  But your comment does make me wonder whether it is being screened/streamed in Canada.    

Guest oncnp
7 minutes ago, Josette said:

I would not think so.  But your comment does make me wonder whether it is being screened/streamed in Canada.    

A random search of the website shows no theatres near Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver 

Perhaps it could?  Have we had previous instances of RB/NBC coproductions where cinema showings of the RB performances have not taken place in North America before the production has been performed by NBC?  I think so.

That wouldn't explain a general policy of not showing ROH broadcasts, though.  Unless there's a conflict between showing Met Opera broadcasts and Royal Opera ones (which I think there was at some time?), and the Royal Ballet ones are just collateral damage, so to speak.