Royal Ballet School matinee, 16th July 2022

Thought the RBS performance today was a brilliant way - simply glorious - to end such a wholly enjoyable season.  So totally loved the Neumeier - and they did it such fine service.  The Raymonda Act III too was spectacular.  Miyake was astounding.  Can't wait to catch him again - wherever he ends up.  

• Like 8

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a terrific afternoon. I was slightly dreading going today as I am not very good in the heat (and try and avoid London during the summer months), and was a bit concerned about how the trains would be. Thankfully the journey there and back was fine and other than around Waterloo I didn't find it too hot.

Apart from a couple of the dancers I can't put names to faces, but the quality of performances all round was excellent and I am sure there was some very proud families there this afternoon.

Other than Raymonda I hadn't seen any of the other words before and I think probably Yondering stood out for me - joyous with such great accompaniment with music by Stephen Foster and vocals by Thomas Hampson (which I will see if I can download if possible).

I see it was being filmed - does anyone know if this will be streamed in the future?

Edited by MJW
  • Like 4

Yes I agree I kept having to refer to the better casting on ROH website! 
At least the programme told you which music was being played. 
Also this year not so much info on the leavers in the sense of which dancers have gone where! 
You can find the five who went to BRB on their website and the RB Aud Jebsen on theirs but nothing about the others ….especially the amazing Takumi Miyake 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, MJW said:

What a terrific afternoon. I was slightly dreading going today as I am not very good in the heat (and try and avoid London during the summer months), and was a bit concerned about how the trains would be. Thankfully the journey there and back was fine and other than around Waterloo I didn't find it too hot.

Apart from a couple of the dancers I can't put names to faces, but the quality of performances all round was excellent and I am sure there was some very proud families there this afternoon.

Other than Raymonda I hadn't seen any of the other words before and I think probably Yondering stood out for me - joyous with such great accompaniment with music by Stephen Foster and vocals by Thomas Hampson (which I will see if I can download if possible).

I see it was being filmed - does anyone know if this will be streamed in the future?

I have seen Yondering  before and loved it, and today's performance just enhanced my appreciation of it.  The highlight of the afternoon (aside from the defile, of course!) for me.  

For me the only obvious 'future star potential' went to Takumi Miyake, who already looks like a professional.  I wonder if he is going to the ABT Studio Theatre?  He sure looks like he'd fit right in. There were a few girls and boys who I liked the look of but they need another couple of years for their full potential to shine on through.  I hope that the school can now go back to normal long term and allow all of their talented pupils to fulfil their potential in a happy and secure way.

• Like 5

The audience went unbelievably wild for Takumi Miyake in both Raymonda and the Defile … an enormous 540 entrance.  So much height and control.  And he was wonderful in the main duet in the Wayne McGregor piece too.  He has a very special quality of movement and ballon.  Also sensuous and just eats up the space.   

I am very glad to have seen him today … as it seems he’s not coming to any of the UK companies.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Thought the RBS performance today was a brilliant way - simply glorious - to end such a wholly enjoyable season.  So totally loved the Neumeier - and they did it such fine service.  The Raymonda Act III too was spectacular.  Miyake was astounding.  Can't wait to catch him again - wherever he ends up.  

Agree they did a super job with Neumeier’s piece.   John Neumeier was in the centre of the Grand Circle alongside Carlos Acosta.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Yes- this afternoon was beautiful and agree Miyake was absolutely brilliant. It was so lovely to see the students perform - a privilege to watch and so nice to hear such abundant cheering and applause from the audience for them. Their smiles at the curtain calls could melt the hardest of hearts. Christopher Powney came and sat right next to me in the level 5 bar and literally almost bumped into Dame Darcey too ❤️

Edited by Angela Essex
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, FionaE said:

The audience went unbelievably wild for Takumi Miyake in both Raymonda and the Defile … an enormous 540 entrance.  So much height and control.  And he was wonderful in the main duet in the Wayne McGregor piece too.  He has a very special quality of movement and ballon.  Also sensuous and just eats up the space.   

I am very glad to have seen him today … as it seems he’s not coming to any of the UK companies.  

😭 that’s sad I’d love to see him dance again 

Mods, might it be possible to gather all the comments on the RBS Summer Performance in the same place?  At the moment, some comments are here and others are in the News Forum.  Maybe it could have its own thread in this Forum?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MJW said:

The program said it was being filmed for the school.  

What a total joy the show was. Yondering was such fun and danced brilliantly. First time I have seen them dance this.  The defile at the end is such a great way to finish and the ovation was huge.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sim said:

My favourite part of the afternoon.  And the defile, of course!

I found the defile quite emotional....over 200 young people on stage together,  having danced their hearts out, and looking forward to their future ballet lives.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Richard LH said:

I found the defile quite emotional....over 200 young people on stage together,  having danced their hearts out, and looking forward to their future ballet lives.

I'm not generally like this but the end of the grand défilé brings tears to my eyes every time. (The end of Two Pigeons is my other weakness.)

• Like 8

Yes I liked Yonderings too especially the duet between George Edwards and Tilly Wightman they really got the humour across delightfully but all were good in this. 
It was a very nice afternoon altogether and well done to Madison Penney for taking on that difficult Raymonda solo and Takumi Miyake positively flew across the stage in his solos. Looks like Madison is going to BRB so I’m sure will do well there. 
Caspar and Alexandra danced their duet before Defile beautifully …a pity the young choreographer couldn’t have taken a quick bow at the end of this piece too. 
I also ended up sitting next to somebody I knew which was really nice so could have a bit of a catch up and she was very excited about seeing a young year 7 she had once coached dancing so well on the stage. 
Inspite of the hot weather Covent Garden was absolutely packed afterwards took a while to find somewhere shady to sit and have a drink with Brighton friends which topped off the afternoon. 

• Like 5

I was so impressed by Yondering. It made me sad and happy at the same time. And I liked Jubilation as well - clean and charming. 

There were certainly wobbles but I felt that my job as a member of the audience was to applaud for such a satisfying performance and wish them spectacular careers in dance.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MJW said:

No it won’t be streamed.

It was being filmed for in-house purposes. 

• Like 2

The most unusual school sports day I've seen. Wonderful.

A little after, I turned into Floral St to be confronted by a huge road block of humanity - a protest? a fire alarm? a tourist walking tour of secret London?

No, just friends and family and flowers and photos; a couple of hundred of the proudest people excitedly waiting for their kids to exit the RBS building. A lovely dénouement.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, swanprincess said:

Does anyone happen to know whether a recording of this years’ Defilé will be made publicly available?

I doubt it.  The whole thing was filmed, but that was just for internal use. I wish they would stream the show; so many people would love to see it, and it is also a good opportunity for the students to get seen around the country and around the world.  

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Sim said:

For me the only obvious 'future star potential' went to Takumi Miyake, who already looks like a professional.  I wonder if he is going to the ABT Studio Theatre?  

It seems that Takumi is indeed going to join the ABT Studio Theatre.

He was also the male winner of The Dame Ninette de Valois London Ballet Circle Award for the most outstanding graduate.

Scarlett Harvey won the female award.

There is a photo of both dancers on the London Ballet Circle’s Instagram feed. The system won’t let me post a screenshot here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, capybara said:

I don't think anyone has mentioned her performance yesterday, but if I'm reading the programme correctly I thought her Raymonda variation was excellent - fizzing with character.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, capybara said:

It seems that Takumi is indeed going to join the ABT Studio Theatre.

He was also the male winner of The Dame Ninette de Valois London Ballet Circle Award for the most outstanding graduate.

There is a photo of both dancers on the London Ballet Circle’s Instagram feed. The system won’t let me post a screenshot here.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgHjBTngHOa/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I don't think anyone has mentioned her performance yesterday, but if I'm reading the programme correctly I thought her Raymonda variation was excellent - fizzing with character.

which is why we need video!   All the Raymonda ballerina solos are fiendishly difficult and the students did amazingly well.  

• Like 2

The programme actually said 'This afternoon's performance will be filmed for the School by BalletBoyz' and then named the couple who had sponsored the film. Whilst they might have engaged high profile film-makers like BalletBoyz simply to do a glossy internal promo, might it also be the case that they engaged them so that they might have something for some future public release. Just thinking aloud! I guess it all comes down to what 'for the School' means.

Edited by ChrisG
  • Like 2

Going back to those Raymonda variations we thought one of them was done with beautiful control and expression. The dancer was Japanese or Korean looking but don’t know now whether it was Frieda Kaden or Chaeyeon Kang who is younger.

I think it was Frieda who is going to BRB but if it is the younger girl then she would be one to watch as she is probably only 17!!! 
I hope next year the casting in the actual programme booklet is as detailed as the ROH website.