National youth ballet

Ballet Power

My daughter did two seasons and honestly, the thing I am saddest about now she is no longer vocational is that she won't be doing this one last year at NYB. She had two amazing years, meeting dancers from all over the country,learning from inspiring teachers and choreographers and experiencing a taste of company life. I can't recommend it enough. 

There are new people in charge so there may be changes but the two times she went included a residential at Elmhurst where they learnt the choreo, then we had 5 days in Birmingham for dress rehearsals and shows followed by the Sadlers Wells show. The shows had several different pieces, one for the junior company and each senior was in two. It took a wek of leave and wasn't cheap especially as we had to rent an aprtment for us etc but something I will always be glad she did. 

They were pretty timely with the acceptances - I think we waited 2 weels for the recall letter and about the same after the final audition?

• Like 1

I wasn't sure where to comment as it relates to this thread but also to the one where there were comments on whether or not those who hadn't done last summer's NYB offering or those not at vocational school would get places - linked below.  I understood that all those who did the course last year automatically get through to finals.  Does anyone know how many this was likely to be and how many actual places there will be at finals and are in the company?  I recall around 20 Juniors from watching previous shows but it was harder to work out Seniors as I am sure they are in more than one dance. With regards those who go to vocational schools I have heard that they don't always get in.  Looking at Instagram posts it looks like there were 200 or so at auditions.  Results on Thursday so fingers crossed for those waiting on the e-mail!

I am sure the year my DD did it there were around 75 in main company.  There were six dances and the girls were cast in two and boys in at least three.  I don’t have a feel for how many did first round but I thought it was more than the 200 this year.  The finals were in groups based on who the choreographers wished to see.  They were there for a few hours before there was a split and a final group asked to stay on.  The final choice was made from this last group so staying to the end didn’t guarantee a place.  They are good at getting the results out quickly which is good.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dancing Kitty said:

I am sure the year my DD did it there were around 75 in main company.  There were six dances and the girls were cast in two and boys in at least three.  I don’t have a feel for how many did first round but I thought it was more than the 200 this year.  The finals were in groups based on who the choreographers wished to see.  They were there for a few hours before there was a split and a final group asked to stay on.  The final choice was made from this last group so staying to the end didn’t guarantee a place.  They are good at getting the results out quickly which is good.

Thank you - this is a more rigorous process than I thought.

1 hour ago, elfin said:

In both 2018 and 2019 it was a total cast of 105 with 30 in the juniors.

So here is a 50% chance of getting in - pretty good odds I'd say compared to most things dance related.  Keeping the fingers crossed for results. 

Sorry I can't help with that as my DD is in a younger group. 

Can I ask if anyone knows anything about the junior group and what it entails? How much dancing do they actually get to do etc? Are the juniors just on stage for a few mins realistically?

It looks like fun and I'm sure DD would enjoy it but it's a long way from us and would involve quite a lot of expense going down for the performances on top of the actual residential costs so I want to have a think about whether it's worth it or not.  

DD did the initial zoom audition without us knowing much about it so I'd like to find out a bit more before committing to going to London for the final audition. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ballet Power said:

I don’t know the answers either but my daughter has been asked back to the Tookey audition group!? 

Which audition group was your daughter in for the 1st round?  I think it was roughly Group 1 Juniors and Group 2 Years 7 to 10 and Group 3 Years 11 and above

53 minutes ago, Ballet Power said:

I don’t know the answers either but my daughter has been asked back to the Tookey audition group!?

Congratulations, our recall is for McOnie.

34 minutes ago, Dance.Mum said:

Which audition group was your daughter in for the 1st round?  I think it was roughly Group 1 Juniors and Group 2 Years 7 to 10 and Group 3 Years 11 and above

This was for Group 3.

1 hour ago, Waverley said:

Can I ask if anyone knows anything about the junior group and what it entails? How much dancing do they actually get to do etc? Are the juniors just on stage for a few mins realistically?

It looks like fun and I'm sure DD would enjoy it but it's a long way from us and would involve quite a lot of expense going down for the performances on top of the actual residential costs so I want to have a think about whether it's worth it or not.  

DD did the initial zoom audition without us knowing much about it so I'd like to find out a bit more before committing to going to London for the final audition. 

Junior group used to do one dance but there is lots of teaching with a class each day.  They may have made changes to the format.  I am feeling in the dark with regards the new format as I am sure other are, unless I have missed something.  I am assuming that there are changes as I understood they started looking at this in 2019.

2 minutes ago, Mum of unicorn dancer said:

I am confused too as my DD was in group 1 for audition (year 7, but will be 12 in summer) and now was invited to senior one. Well done everyone. Congratulations to your DCs. 

Congratulations!  They may have looked across the dancers to get a balance in each company: Junior and Main, and decided to move those with later summer birthdays up a group.  DD's friend was moved when she did it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Waverley said:

Nothing to offer in relation to NYB but I read this and thought it said ‘DD did the initial zoom without us knowing’ I just thought how crafty and then read the rest of the sentence 😂

Congrats by the way. And to everyone else. 

Edited by SJBallet
Typo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Dance.Mum said:

My dd was in group 1 (the junior) audition originally but is in year 7. 

55 minutes ago, SJBallet said:

Nothing to offer in relation to NYB but I read this and thought it said ‘DD did the initial zoom without us knowing’ I just thought how crafty and then read the rest of the sentence 😂

Congrats by the way. And to everyone else. 

😂😂 she’s not quite that crafty. I was very glad they offered a zoom for the first round as travelling to all these things really adds up.

To be honest I think we might leave it for this year - it doesn’t align with the Scottish school holidays which means DD would basically have to miss the first two weeks of school to do it. I’m sure its great fun but the timing of it is a shame given that it’s meant to be a national thing. Can’t do everything though - will have a think before the final round. 

• Like 1

So does the final audition they are called for reflect how well they did at the first audition? My daughter is already 12 but has been offered junior company final auditions. Does that mean she didn’t do well at the first audition?

Don’t think she’ll be very keen on being the oldest one in with the juniors 😂

1 hour ago, Elbows said:

So does the final audition they are called for reflect how well they did at the first audition? My daughter is already 12 but has been offered junior company final auditions. Does that mean she didn’t do well at the first audition?

I don’t think everyone makes the final audition so I think she’s done well to be asked back. 
I don’t know how it works, if it’s split by age or the group they think would be best suited to you. 

2 hours ago, Elbows said:

We know two girls who were in the same year at the same age - both with the same experience - the taller one, who was not the older of the two was in the Main Company and the other in Juniors.  It is likely fit with the others in the group.  The next round is casting so in some ways harder when it comes to acceptance of the dnd result as everyone through now is good enough for the show and it’s up to the choreographers who fits best.

3 hours ago, Elbows said:

I don't know anything about how National Youth Ballet works - but maybe an older girl in  the Junior company would be more likely to get a more significant role than if she was one of the youngest in the Senior company.  It may not be a bad thing.

Thanks everyone!

I think we will just go to the finals and see what happens. It’s an awkward age to be! By the time they do the residential she’ll have finished her first year at secondary and be nearly 13, so won’t want to be in with mostly primary school kids especially if most of the other girls her age have been put in seniors.  

My teen had to pull out of the auditions because of injury.

We received an email yesterday inviting them to the Singleton audition for the Senior Performance Company in May.
Complete surprise as we had ruled it out entirely.

Teen very pleased as was looking forward to auditioning for performing again. Covid meant a lot of virtual auditions which they absolutely hate. We have a lounge the size of a postcard. 
Good luck to everyone for the next round.

can anyone tell me why they are all differently named auditions and not one big round of finals.

NYB is the one performing company my teen has not danced with. So this is a new experience for them.

• 1 month later...

Anyone else with a 12 year old (year 7) offered junior company? My daughter did first audition junior, final audition senior but then been offered junior company. She wants to do it regardless but I just wanted to make sure she would have others her age. She doesn’t know anyone going.  Thanks

13 minutes ago, LGBalletTaxi said:

Anyone else with a 12 year old (year 7) offered junior company? My daughter did first audition junior, final audition senior but then been offered junior company. She wants to do it regardless but I just wanted to make sure she would have others her age. She doesn’t know anyone going.  Thanks

My daughter was offered juniors. She turns 13 in November.  

We are going to turn it down, as she doesn’t want to be in with the little ones.  I can’t imagine it will be the same sort of experience as seniors and given how expensive it is we are going to wait until next year and hope she gets seniors.

27 minutes ago, LGBalletTaxi said:

9 minutes ago, Elbows said:

My daughter was offered juniors. She turns 13 in November.  

We are going to turn it down, as she doesn’t want to be in with the little ones.  I can’t imagine it will be the same sort of experience as seniors and given how expensive it is we are going to wait until next year and hope she gets seniors.

I would contact them and ask about year groups - from what we saw in previous years it was never a fixed cut off between the groups - however this is anecdotal based on a few years of knowing DC take part. Final decisions will be based on casting and who the choreographers want for each piece.

I’m pretty sure that the NYB staff mentioned that they were rearranging the age groups - so it could be that the current year 7s will all be in the junior group. Their production is going to be fantastic - Ameliaranne and the Green Umbrella - which has a number of main roles (my daughter did the summer course last year when they developed a few scenes for it). So maybe check in with them before you decline the place? And the ‘little ones’ aren’t that bad! My 10 year old has made lots of older friends that she loves dancing with at LCB and summer intensives such as Malvern when they’re all dancing together.