National youth ballet

Ballet Power

I’m sure the Junior company is a wonderful experience (apologies if it sounded like I was dissing it! 😊) but because of the cost NYB isn’t something we could do every year.  If we can only do it once I think we are better off waiting until she can do it as a senior. 

As with most of these things I just wish they would be a bit more transparent about the selection process, as I know of several year 7s (and even a year 6s) offered seniors.  It just leaves me wondering!

If anyone has any insight it would be great to know.

2 hours ago, LGBalletTaxi said:

Anyone else with a 12 year old (year 7) offered junior company? My daughter did first audition junior, final audition senior but then been offered junior company. She wants to do it regardless but I just wanted to make sure she would have others her age. She doesn’t know anyone going.  Thanks

Hello LGBalletTaxi and welcome to the Forum!

33 minutes ago, Elbows said:

I’m sure the Junior company is a wonderful experience (apologies if it sounded like I was dissing it! 😊) but because of the cost NYB isn’t something we could do every year.  If we can only do it once I think we are better off waiting until she can do it as a senior. 

As with most of these things I just wish they would be a bit more transparent about the selection process, as I know of several year 7s (and even a year 6s) offered seniors.  It just leaves me wondering!

If anyone has any insight it would be great to know.

I fully understand concern over the cost issues and it’s a big time commitment for parents/guardians.  The process this year seems to have been different so I can’t provide any insight this time round.  All I do know is the overall learning experience in terms of developing as a dancer technically and with performance skills. 

Edited by PrancingMum

I don’t know what the difference between the 2 companies are. Is it that the junior company do 1 piece with 1 choreographer and seniors do more? My dd is 12 and has been offered senior company but it says she’ll do at least 2 pieces. 
I would contact them and ask before declining as it a great company but is expensive (on top of all the other things available) 

4 hours ago, Elbows said:

….because of the cost NYB isn’t something we could do every year.  If we can only do it once I think we are better off waiting until she can do it as a senior

I hear you on that point….many parents do not have limitless funds & have to start being discerning with a cost/benefit ratio analysis!! Having said that, NYB was an excellent use of funds the one year DD went for it! (Was older so no issue but I do also see a point about junior v senior company if age is between the two - you want/need to get best value for money in classes as well as performance opportunity & best life experience!)

Had also not anticipated the added costs of hotel accommodation & the added to & fro travel between end of rehearsals to then the Brum shows & then the London one. But it was absolutely worth every penny as DD got excellent experience all round & especially as she had a featured role in one piece. 

They do have some bursary assistance (though thinking of the one year I have experience  of I think it had to be applied for before finals??)

Just to add, 2019 year was fantastic all round & I was particularly impressed by the  Junior Company piece btw! 
Good luck with decisions….

NYB have replied and said approx ten 12 year olds in junior company so all good! Been looking up hotels in Birmingham - any recommended?  Though think we will go as cheap as poss in walking distance. We live in London so won’t have that added cost at least. Really excited for my daughter and my mini break in Brum! 

• Like 2

Does anyone with previous experience know what additional costs are associated with NYB? I've got an idea off travel and hotel, show tickets etc but what about uniform and costumes (not including tights, pointe/flats etc)? And do the kids need additional money for outings or similar? It's all adding up 😅. Thanks.

Just re-reading it sounds like I'm being nosey! But against all odds my dd has been offered a place and I'm conscious that acceptance deadline is soon. She really wants to do it but I can't have too many surprises financially. Hopefully NYB will respond soon but if anyone has any knowledge I would be very grateful thank you.

There's accommodation and food during the performances. 

Costumes are provided, you have to supply tights and shoes.

The year my dd last did it we had to buy a leotard and t shirt 

Other than that I don't remember there being much more 🤔

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, OnlyDance said:

Does anyone with previous experience know what additional costs are associated with NYB? I've got an idea off travel and hotel, show tickets etc but what about uniform and costumes (not including tights, pointe/flats etc)? And do the kids need additional money for outings or similar? It's all adding up 😅. Thanks.

When DC did NYB the girls were expected to buy a branded leotard and t-shirt to wear for publicity shots.  She loved the leotard - plain colour with logo you didn’t see anyway so don’t understand why it was needed - but can’t recall the t-shirt. If I recall the next year the t- shirt was quite distinctive.  Other other items were optional.  If I recall it was under £40 but that was 4 years ago.

You will need to get shoes and tights for each dance and have pointe shoes for  rehearsals and the shows, if the dance requires them.

The costs of the Birmingham nonresidential days and one or two overnights in London- depending on how far you are away - are the biggest additional costs.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Also posted in ticket sales

I bought an extra child ticket for NYB 26.8 at 14.30 forgetting my kid is actually performing! I also have a double room booked at the Travelodge that evening that I can't get a refund on. DM me if interested. Happy to take any offers. Child ticket was £12.25, hotel £43.