In celebration of Japanese ballet dancers

In homage to the lovely 'Osipova thread', I would like to start a chat about the way that Japanese dancers have given so much to our enjoyment of ballet here in the UK and elsewhere.  As a pianist, I have long appreciated and been thankful that artists from Japan, China and Korea perform Western works with such exceptional sensitivity and technical brilliance.  Sometimes I feel that they will carry the baton for this precious canon whilst we in the West succumb to Kardashidisneycrasspopitus.  The world of ballet - fragile as it is, in need of new audiences and continuity of tradition over the coming decades - is also in debt to the East.  I recently glanced at the list of principals/soloists in RB, BRB and ENB and wasn't surprised to see that nearly one in five are Japanese.  My personal favourite is Momoko Hirata, who seems super human in the gossamer magic she creates on stage, but there are many other wonderful Japanese dancers here too.  I'm afraid I am largely ignorant of those dancing abroad but I'm sure I am missing some wonderful ballerinos and ballerinas.  Life is just too short - especially with covid restrictions! 

I have also enjoyed Akane Takada in the past and have resolved to make a point of seeing more of her in 2022.

So, which Japanese dancers do you particularly love?  Any particular roles and memories?  Anyone I should resolve to see here or abroad who is unmissable?

• Like 5

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nao Sakuma was Wonder Woman during her 22 years at BRB.

I agree re Momoko.

Miyako Yoshida was awesome at BRB and, I believe, the Royal.

Chiaki Nagao was glorious at NB.  As was the recently retired Ayami Miyata.

Of the gentlemen I would commend Riku Ito at NB.

And these are to name just a few.

• Like 5

I’d like to add Miki Mizutani of BRB. I’m off to Plymouth next week to see her debut as Juliet.

Also right at the beginning of her career with BRB is Yu Kurihara already promoted to soloist

who also will be making her debut as Juliet. There has been a wonderful succession of Japanese

ballerinas  at BRB.

• Like 5

There is such a huge range of glorious balletic Japanese talent in this country at present such as those fine exemplars named here.  From the past I cherish my vivid memories of the truly magnificent Yoko Morishita, Yoko Ichino and, later, Miyako Yoshida and Tetsuya Kumakawa.  

• Like 6

Fumi Kaneko and Akane Takada are both brilliant principals.  They can do anything I believe.  

And there is much to admire amongst the new generation at RB particularly Mariko Sasaki among the young women who is currently a Juliet friend, usually a sign of a soloist in the making (not always).  

Also the virtuoso young men Daichi Ikarachi and Taisuke Nakao.  Both performed in Les Lutins at Athelhampton … their technique is amazing, Taisuke’s more pure and correct, but it was his portrayal of the humour that I particularly noted 👏

Edited by FionaE
Add info
  • Like 6

It’s interesting that there are a lot of Japanese dancers in the Amateur Ballet world as well and some of them are very good too!! So ballet is obviously a very strong tradition in Japan. 
There has been a ballet link going on between Japan and U.K. for many years now almost certainly since the 70’s as far as I know. Certainly one of my own teachers was out teaching in Japan in Tokyo as far back as the 70’s and another had links with South Korea. 
I think the original Tokyo Ballet was founded back in the 60’s. 
Miyako Yoshida is now Director of one of the main Japanese Companies the new National Ballet Company also based in Tokyo. 
It’s not surprising we are now seeing so many good dancers who started their training in Japan and more coming through from South Korea now as well. 

• Like 4

The Japanese dancers of the RB have a particularly special place in my heart. The first two performances of Giselle I went to see starred Akane Takada and Hikaru Kobayashi as Giselle and Myrthe respectively - beautiful performances, and it was really lovely to see so many Japanese patrons come out to support them. Akane as Titania in The Dream is also one of my favourite RB performances / roles. 

I have a particular soft spot for Fumi Kaneko as she is just such a sweetheart in addition to the sublime dancing. I went along to see the cinema relay of Sleeping Beauty when she stepped in for Lauren Cuthbertson in January 2020, which was a ballet bliss moment. You could really feel how much everyone on stage adored her and was wishing her well in the Rose Adage!

I occasionally tag her in instagram stories, etc when I watch a performance or stream, and she is always responsive and appreciative of the support. She even went so far as to send me a private message hoping I got well soon when I mentioned watching The Sleeping Beauty at home and feeling a bit poorly. In my house we call her 'lovely Fumi' !

• Like 10

Yes Fumi Kaneko is rapidly becoming my very favourite dancer at RB among so many very talented dancers currently too. After her Juliet on Saturday she has now become the one to book for!!   I can’t wait to see her as Giselle...am assuming that she has not performed this before. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Yes Fumi Kaneko is rapidly becoming my very favourite dancer at RB among so many very talented dancers currently too. After her Juliet on Saturday she has now become the one to book for!!   I can’t wait to see her as Giselle...am assuming that she has not performed this before. 

must be an oversight IMO  … she has not been cast as Giselle in this run.   Myrtha perhaps?

Well seeing her as Myrthe would be good too! 
However I now see her as a natural for Giselle! Perhaps next time around? 
Please don’t let Fumi Kaneko go back to Japan Kevin O Hare before she has been cast as Giselle at RB!! ( Not that she has any plans to lol ... that I wouldn’t  know) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

must be an oversight IMO  … she has not been cast as Giselle in this run.   Myrtha perhaps?

None of the new female Principals has been cast as Giselle this time round, more's the pity.

Fumi has been exceptionally busy - in both casts of Dante and preparing/dancing Juliet.

But for her two long periods of injury, she would surely have been a Principal long ago.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, capybara said:

None of the new female Principals has been cast as Giselle this time round, more's the pity.

Fumi has been exceptionally busy - in both casts of Dante and preparing/dancing Juliet.

But for her two long periods of injury, she would surely have been a Principal long ago.

Agree.  

I hope (1) that Fumi is understudying the role this time and (2) that Giselle returns in next season or two.  She will be over 30 when she next gets a chance.  

The other 2 new principals are a bit younger I think.  

• Like 1

As a person living in Japan, this thread is of particular interest of me, and it is nice to know how the Japanese dancers in UK are adored by the audience. 

Recently (on October 20th), Asami Maki who was one of the greatest ever figures in ballet in Japan has passed away at the age of 87. She was a student of Alexandra Danilova and after her dancing career, she founded Asami Maki Ballet and Tachibana Ballet School which has brought many professional dancers. Also she directed National Ballet of Japan, raised the level of the dancers and until her death was rector of New National Ballet School and she also choreographed many works, was a judge in many international ballet competitions.

Apart from the fabulous Japanese dancers at Royal Ballet, Birmingham Royal Ballet, Northern Ballet and English National Ballet, there are wonderful dancers at the National Ballet of Japan and Tokyo Ballet, K-Ballet Company and Star Dancers Ballet who are not known to the international audience. To name two, Yui Yonezawa and Ayako Ono, both principals of National Ballet of Japan are very popular here and IMO world class ballerinas who deserve international reputation. 

Yui Yonezawa is both superior in technique and expression, very clean and precise fouettes and polished lines. 

Ayako Ono has guested in Birmingham Royal Ballet's Aladdin and Prince of the Pagodas. She is a petite, delicate and musical dancer. 

National Ballet of Japan has brought Sir Peter Wright's Swan Lake to open their new season and it has been very successful. Nao Sakuma came to coach the principals. They did stream the stage rehearsal of Act 4 of this Swan Lake for World Ballet Day but unfortunately it was only streamed live and no archives left. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Naomi M said:

As a person living in Japan, this thread is of particular interest of me, and it is nice to know how the Japanese dancers in UK are adored by the audience. 

Recently (on October 20th), Asami Maki who was one of the greatest ever figures in ballet in Japan has passed away at the age of 87. She was a student of Alexandra Danilova and after her dancing career, she founded Asami Maki Ballet and Tachibana Ballet School which has brought many professional dancers. 

Yui Yonezawa is both superior in technique and expression, very clean and precise fouettes and polished lines. 

It was upon reading of Asami Maki's demise that prompted me to start this thread, Naomi, and I am so glad I did because otherwise I wouldn't have seen the two lovely videos you shared - Yui Yonezawa in particular is astonishing!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

It was upon reading of Asami Maki's demise that prompted me to start this thread, Naomi, and I am so glad I did because otherwise I wouldn't have seen the two lovely videos you shared - Yui Yonezawa in particular is astonishing!

That is lovely to hear that you have been aware of Asami Maki. Swan Lake at National Ballet of Japan was dedicated to her memory and there was a moment when the audience was prompted to pray for her before the premiere performance. She had been seen in the audience often and August was when I last saw her looking well. 

Yui Yonezawa is a lovely dancer indeed, very clean and crisp, also good in dramatic roles as her performance as Manon with Vadim Muntagirov had received rave reviews. 

Here is a clip of her Ashton Cinderella.

• Like 2

Was talking about the ballet Concerto on another thread and one of the most recent performances was in June 2020 and just realised I missed Kaneko partnered with Clarke in the second movement!! 
Would really love to have seen that!!
But that year didn’t venture into London again until the September. Was the ROH really open for performances as early as June that year? 

No I’m afraid I didn’t see that streaming 😢
I only tried the streaming from ROH once and it didn’t work!! 
I could have seen more but could only have watched on my iphone so decided not to bother. Maybe I will find it somewhere on YouTube 

2 hours ago, DanJL said:

Oh that's a shame. I have a feeling there were highlights on BBC as well, so hopefully it's possible to find the footage again somewhere. 

The highlights are still available BBC iPlayer - Royal Ballet All-Star Gala 

All times approximate

Takada/Campbell- Rhapsody – 19:40

Kaneko/Clarke – In our Wishes – 24:20

Takada/Watson/Richardson – Woolf Works – 47:45

Thanks oncnp. I think this was a later event than the one I was thinking of though. There were a number of live streams curated by Antonio Pappano in June 2020. Highlights of these were also shown on BBC and I believe included all of the ballet segments. It looks like the Kaneko / Clarke Concerto pas de deux was on 27th June. Although the all star gala still on iplayer is another chance to enjoy Fumi Kaneko dancing of course 🙂

(Hopefully this link works for more details on the June performance https://www.balletcoforum.com/topic/22673-live-from-covent-garden-13th-june-and-following-weeks/?do=findComment&comment=320793) 

• Like 1

One thing quite unusual about Fumi Kaneko is that she did not go to a full time ballet school, she was educated in Japan and joined RB straight from Japan. (I think at the age of 19). Her teacher Kaoru Jinushi also taught Misa Kuranaga who is currently principal at San Francisco Ballet.

My first experience seeing her live was at The Moscow State Stanislavsky and Nemirovich-Danchenko Music Theatre Japan tour where she guested in the gala performance with Kosuke Okumura (currently principal at National Ballet of Japan and Jinushi’s son). At that time Sergei Filin was director of the company and he was impressed by the pairs performance at the Moscow International Ballet Competition where the pair won silver medal. And their performance in Grand Pas Classique was fabulous, so clear and brilliant, Kaneko was still a teenager then. There used to be a video of the competition on YouTube of their Tchaikovsky Pas de Duex at the Moscow competition but no longer there, and she was sparkling. 

So happy that she has now grown into a beautiful and captivating artist and I am looking forward how she matures in the years to come. 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Naomi M said:

At that time Sergei Filin was director of the company and he was impressed by the pairs performance at the Moscow International Ballet Competition where the pair won silver medal. And their performance in Grand Pas Classique was fabulous, so clear and brilliant, Kaneko was still a teenager then. There used to be a video of the competition on YouTube of their Tchaikovsky Pas de Duex at the Moscow competition but no longer there, and she was sparkling. 

Yes, she talked about that at the Ballet Association last night.

• Like 1

On 23/10/2021 at 21:46, maryrosesatonapin said:

.  I recently glanced at the list of principals/soloists in RB, BRB and ENB and wasn't surprised to see that nearly one in five are Japanese. 

Looking through this thread, I'm surprised that the wonderful Japanese dancers of ENB have not yet been mentioned.  Erina Takahashi, Shiori Kase, Ken Sarahushi and Rina Kanehara have all given very special performances over the years and Emily Suzuki is on her way to joining them.

• Like 10