In celebration of Japanese ballet dancers

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bluebird said:

Looking through this thread, I'm surprised that the wonderful Japanese dancers of ENB have not yet been mentioned.  Erina Takahashi, Shiori Kase, Ken Sarahushi and Rina Kanehara have all given very special performances over the years and Emily Suzuki is on her way to joining them.

Emily Suzuki and Erik Woolhouse (each with one Japanese parent) are amazing talents as is Rentaro Nakaaki, who is now in his third year with ENB.

• Like 3

Yes it seems to have been a dumb question to ask as am a member of the LBC but most events there still on zoom. I wasn’t sure whether this was a loose reference to LBC but obviously not! 
Certainly would love to have seen Fumi interviewed live!! 

21 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Yes it seems to have been a dumb question to ask as am a member of the LBC but most events there still on zoom. I wasn’t sure whether this was a loose reference to LBC but obviously not! 
Certainly would love to have seen Fumi interviewed live!! 

The LBC will be sure to invite Fumi to talk 'live' one day - but, of course, not hot on the heels of the BA having had an evening with her.

Coming up 'live' with the LBC next week are Leanne Benjamin and Edward Watson. Members are free on this occasion; non members are £10. Bookings for both on https://www.tlbc.org.uk 

• Like 1

I’ve just gone a bit anti zoom and streaming’s and recordings etc at the moment ....probably over exposed to it all in last 18 months with ballet and piano and yoga classes etc all online and very little live theatre etc etc. 
I am just enjoying  seeing people for real right now and attending classes in person once more. 
Now zoom tends to remind me of the darkest days of the pandemic even though it was incredibly useful at the time. 

I see on another thread Tony Newcombe has just confirmed that Yu Kurihara is truly a rising star after her debut in the role of Juliet this afternoon! 
He mentioned her earlier in this thread and I feel I’m really getting out of touch with BRB as didn’t know her name or the other young dancer also about to debut as Juliet Miki Mizutani. He’s advised grabbing a ticket if you live in Plymouth area!!! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

I see on another thread Tony Newcombe has just confirmed that Yu Kurihara is truly a rising star after her debut in the role of Juliet this afternoon! 
He mentioned her earlier in this thread and I feel I’m really getting out of touch with BRB as didn’t know her name or the other young dancer also about to debut as Juliet Miki Mizutani. He’s advised grabbing a ticket if you live in Plymouth area!!! 

BRB are SO worth going to see if you possibly can.  My two most moving performances in the last couple of years have been BRB and I think they are neglected.  It's not always easy to reach them, I agree - I drove several hours and it was very much worth it!

• Like 3

I last saw them in 2018 at the Birmingham Hippodrome for Nutcracker and loved it!! 
It’s a long way for me as live in Brighton but sometimes do catch them in London. 
Matinees are doable from London too where I can sometimes stay. Once pandemic is getting behind us more will definitely try and get to Birmingham more often. 

• Like 2

I would like to mention RB First Artist Chisato Katsura (Japanese, born in Osaka, albeit of Chinese parents),   a lovely dancer who, amongst her other achievements, is one of the dancers performing  the Enrico Cecchetti Diploma syllabus on the available DVD/Blu-ray disc. Unfortunately she has been out for a lengthy period through injury and I am sure we all wish her a full recovery and a successful return to the stage as soon as possible.  

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 01/11/2021 at 10:13, Richard LH said:

I would like to mention RB First Artist Chisato Katsura (Japanese, born in Osaka, albeit of Chinese parents),   a lovely dancer who, amongst her other achievements, is one of the dancers performing  the Enrico Cecchetti Diploma syllabus on the available DVD/Blu-ray disc. Unfortunately she has been out for a lengthy period through injury and I am sure we all wish her a full recovery and a successful return to the stage as soon as possible.  

Get well soon Chisato! I always enjoyed her performances. 

• Like 1

On 25/10/2021 at 17:44, Naomi M said:

That is lovely to hear that you have been aware of Asami Maki. Swan Lake at National Ballet of Japan was dedicated to her memory and there was a moment when the audience was prompted to pray for her before the premiere performance. She had been seen in the audience often and August was when I last saw her looking well. 

Yui Yonezawa is a lovely dancer indeed, very clean and crisp, also good in dramatic roles as her performance as Manon with Vadim Muntagirov had received rave reviews. 

Here is a clip of her Ashton Cinderella.

I fear we’ll soon have to fly to Japan to see Ashton’s Cinderella! Thank you, Naomi- Yui is brilliant! The whole company looks wonderful in the clip. 

• Like 1

Branching slightly off - when Company Wayne McGregor used to complement the Royal Ballet for some of his pieces, such as Tree of Codes, I noticed Fukiko Takase as a stand-out contemporary dancer, and started following her in other events.  The Daiwa Anglo Japanese Foundation had her on a Zoom webinar last year talking about her move back to Japan and into freelancing, which was fascinating.  I particularly like the video she did with Thom Yorke of Radiohead fame for Ingenue - well worth looking up on Youtube.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I thought Tree of Codes was a collaboration with Paris Opera Ballet rather than RB?  I loved it.  Wayne McGregor has always attracted (IMHO) outstanding dancers to his own company.

You're right (and now I think of it, I saw Fuki smoking outside Sadler's before the show and assumed she was French - I plead guilty to cultural stereotyping 😂).  That would have been where I first saw her but I'm sure I've also seen her alongside the RB.  When CWM moved to Stratford I was lucky to stumble across a couple of the dancers giving a short performance and an audience workshop, so I can say I've danced with them ;)

32 minutes ago, Quintus said:

You're right (and now I think of it, I saw Fuki smoking outside Sadler's before the show and assumed she was French - I plead guilty to cultural stereotyping 😂).  That would have been where I first saw her but I'm sure I've also seen her alongside the RB.  When CWM moved to Stratford I was lucky to stumble across a couple of the dancers giving a short performance and an audience workshop, so I can say I've danced with them ;)

Daniela Neugebauer and Rebecca Bassett Graham of CWM

37644001_10160562140290587_477507759525330944_n.jpg

On 14/12/2021 at 20:43, Quintus said:

Branching slightly off - when Company Wayne McGregor used to complement the Royal Ballet for some of his pieces, such as Tree of Codes, I noticed Fukiko Takase as a stand-out contemporary dancer, and started following her in other events.  The Daiwa Anglo Japanese Foundation had her on a Zoom webinar last year talking about her move back to Japan and into freelancing, which was fascinating.  I particularly like the video she did with Thom Yorke of Radiohead fame for Ingenue - well worth looking up on Youtube.

Fukiko Takase is joining Akram Khan’s Jungle Book Reimagined tour. So now she works in both UK and Japan, she also was teaching First Grade students at The Place this year. A brilliant and very creative dancer and a lovely person indeed. 

• Like 2

On 13/12/2021 at 23:43, Emeralds said:

I fear we’ll soon have to fly to Japan to see Ashton’s Cinderella! Thank you, Naomi- Yui is brilliant! The whole company looks wonderful in the clip. 

Ashton’s Cinderella is one of the most popular ballets in National Ballet of Japan’s repertoire, so popular that it is performed almost every year (this year in May) and also we will have an educational program of Cinderella with introduction of the backstage and sets, costumes (which were originally used at Royal Ballet and purchased by National Ballet of Japan) 

You are welcome to visit National Ballet of Japan once the pandemic is over. Currently some programs have to be replaced because of the travel restrictions with the coaches impossible to enter the country. But I think there will be more streamings. 

• Like 5

A short clip of National Ballet of Japan's Swan Lake (Peter Wright and Galina Samsova) with Ayako Ono and Kosuke Okumura. Okumura is the son of Fumi Kaneko's teacher Kaoru Jinushi and he and Fumi went to Moscow International Competition together winning Silver medal. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Naomi M said:

Is that the same video as this one with Fumi?

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/2058798/

there was a documentary on Akane Takada and Ryoichi Hirano on NHK which will be replayed in Japan next week. Hope that will be available overseas as it was a very nice program.

Yes, and that's an easier way of watching it 😄.

• Like 1