Royal Ballet booking period 1 (2021) - casting and pricing

Yes, first the SPF now Juliet. Given Naghdi is already doing double the Juliets this season that most of the other dancers are getting it seems a bit unfair on the others that she now gets to do triple! But I suppose replacements have to be scheduled around rehearsals for other roles & perhaps guest appearances elsewhere too. Poor Takada does seem to suffer injuries quite frequently. I have yet to actually see her dance live, because every time I've had something booked when she's in the cast she's then got injured.

• Like 1

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really sorry for Takada, hope she recovers soon and has a much luckier stretch. Similarly to Dawnstar I haven't had chance to see her in a leading role (I did see her in Dante Project). Ever since I saw her amazing performance in the Swan Lake pdd in one of the streamed gala performances I've been looking forward to seeing her in person. Hope she recovers soon and has a much luckier stretch. And fingers crossed for Swan Lake! 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Yes, first the SPF now Juliet

Yasmine also valiantly stood in for Akane  halfway through one of her Sleeping Beauty performances in November 2019. And I now recall Yasmine also stood in for Francesca Hayward later that same month. So I  am getting pretty used to seeing her as a sub....!

However this time I will be returning the tickets,  as we are  also seeing Nunez/Bonelli, and  we saw the  brilliant Kaneko/Bracewell debuts last October.

Rather sorry to be missing  Campbell's debut though...

Now accumulating quite a respectable stash of Gift Certificates for the future....

59 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

This surprises me. Not that Takada is still injured but that Naghdi is the replacement. It had crossed my mind that Takada might be replaced but I would have betted on her replacement being Hayward, given she & Campbell are so often partnered together. Have Naghdi & Campbell danced together since Two Pigeons in January 2019? And that was also due to a cast change.

The issue might be (speculation alert!!!!) that Naghdi is currently in rehearsal for R&J whereas Hayward is not.

The same issue (as Hayward) would appear to apply to Fumi Kaneko, another obvious replacement.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

Yasmine also valiantly stood in for Akane  halfway through one of her Sleeping Beauty performances in November 2019. And I now recall Yasmine also stood in for Francesca Hayward later that same month. So I  am getting pretty used to seeing her as a sub....!

However this time I will be returning the tickets,  as we are  also seeing Nunez/Bonelli, and  we saw the  brilliant Kaneko/Bracewell debuts last October.

Rather sorry to be missing  Campbell's debut though...

Now accumulating quite a respectable stash of Gift Certificates for the future....

I'd forgotten there had been so many Sleeping Beauty cast swaps. I was on holiday for 3 weeks in November 2019 with limited internet access so probably didn't read much about them, let alone see them. Though I did see Hayward's Aurora the night before I went on holiday so she did manage do at least one performance. I've already seen Naghdi as Juliet this season & she wouldn't be my first choice of the Juliets I've seen to see again but as I booked next week purely to see Campbell's debut I'm still intending to go, covid permitting.

1 hour ago, capybara said:

The issue might be (speculation alert!!!!) that Naghdi is currently in rehearsal for R&J whereas Hayward is not.

The same issue (as Hayward) would appear to apply to Fumi Kaneko, another obvious replacement.

Yes, that seems likely for Hayward. Much as I would like to see her again, I would have thought Kaneko is too tall to be partnered with Campbell?

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

So could you please stop booking for those performances, Dawnstar! 😉 (not really.....)

I think next week was the first performance I've booked for when Takada's been *the* female lead. The others were things like the triple bill including Symphony In C where she would have been one of several. So I haven't been accidentally sabotaging her major performances! Because I've not yet been able to see her I don't know if I like her as a dancer or not, so she's not been on my list when choosing casts to book for.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, capybara said:

I can't see Fumi Kaneko as an obvious Juliet replacement to Alexander Campbell's Romeo ..... apart from anything else, surely a too awkward height difference ...... 

• Like 2

Re Akane and ‘often injured’ …

I was reminded earlier today of Gelsey Kirkland’s book in which she worries about injuries from those lifts in second act of Giselle where she is lowered on to pointe by Albrecht/Baryshnikov.

Just thought I’d mention that injuries can be caused by others.  

A ballerina friend of mine spent months in a cast when her much larger male partner crashed into her in a jump sequence.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Cast change for opening night 10 Jan 22

Nunez/Bonelli for Osipova/Clarke

Very sorry about this. I've managed to re-book for their other performance (29 Jan), but who knows if they will do it?

38 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Very sorry about this. I've managed to re-book for their other performance (29 Jan), but who knows if they will do it?

I hope Clarke manages to do at least one performance. Given he missed what should have been his Romeo debut in 2019 when he was injured, it'd be awfully bad luck if he misses his second attempt at the role debut. I suppose it may depend on whether they're being replaced due to injury or covid.

5 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I hope Clarke manages to do at least one performance. Given he missed what should have been his Romeo debut in 2019 when he was injured, it'd be awfully bad luck if he misses his second attempt at the role debut. I suppose it may depend on whether they're being replaced due to injury or covid.

I would have thought that if it was injury the email would have said so - it just referred to current challenging circumstances etc. So I hope maybe they will be able to do the 29th.

• Like 2

Kevin O'H said from the stage tonight that this has been, and will continue to be, a challenging season for everyone involved and, circumstances being what they are,  cast changes cannot be ruled out for future performances.  He thanked Matty Ball for standing in at last minute, for what turned out to be a sublimely harmonious, elegant and graceful Sugarplum pairing with Yuhio Choe. To add to the excitement, we even had a hastily revised performance of Nutcracker this evening due to technical problems this afternoon with the scenery.  Such fun.  And, for me,  the uncertainty of it all does add a little frisson to the proceedings.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, prs59 said:

Kevin O'H said from the stage tonight that this has been, and will continue to be, a challenging season for everyone involved and, circumstances being what they are,  cast changes cannot be ruled out for future performances.  He thanked Matty Ball for standing in at last minute, for what turned out to be a sublimely harmonious, elegant and graceful Sugarplum pairing with Yuhio Choe. To add to the excitement, we even had a hastily revised performance of Nutcracker this evening due to technical problems this afternoon with the scenery.  Such fun.  And, for me,  the uncertainty of it all does add a little frisson to the proceedings.

ps When Kevin O’H talked about “everyone involved”, he included thanks to the audience for coming out to support the ROH in difficult conditions. We are essential for the survival of the organisation. Makes one feel all warm 😊

• Like 4

On the other thread about RB Nutcracker have you seen that print they are selling “Keep Calm and carry on. It’s only a cast change. Let’s see what today brings.” 
It looks like it’s been recommended by Gary Avis. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sim said:

Noooo!!! This is the only Osipova/Clarke performance for which I have a ticket!  😥

Same! I also have a ticket for the Nuñez/Bonelli original scheduled performance on the 13th of January next week. Do people think they will still be doing that performance?

Because in that case it would be better for me to cancel the one on the 10th, given that I'm supposed to be seeing them a few days later anyway.

10 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Same! I also have a ticket for the Nuñez/Bonelli original scheduled performance on the 13th of January next week. Do people think they will still be doing that performance?

Because in that case it would be better for me to cancel the one on the 10th, given that I'm supposed to be seeing them a few days later anyway.

They wouldn't normally change the 13th because they're also now doing the 10th. But these are not normal times!! So who knows.

2 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

The latest Friends newsletter says that as well as cast changes we should watch out for possible changes to performance times in our inboxes.

Is everyone getting cast change emails? I haven't had one for Naghdi replacing Takada on 12th, though my e-ticket for the performance turned up yesterday. While I don't so much mind not getting cast change emails, as usually by the time any do turn up I've already seen on the website or on here, if they're likely to start changing performance times, especially if at the last minute, then I'd be worried if I'm not receiving emails that others are getting.

Edited by Dawnstar
Missed out a "don't".

8 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Is everyone getting cast change emails? I haven't had one for Naghdi replacing Takada on 12th, though my e-ticket for the performance turned up yesterday. While I so much mind not getting cast change emails, as usually by the time any do turn up I've already seen on the website or on here, if they're likely to start changing performance times, especially if at the last minute, then I'd be worried if I'm not receiving emails that others are getting.

I did get an email about the Takada/Naghdi change.

30 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Hmm, I wonder why I didn't then. I bought my ticket a couple of months ago. I've checked my spam folder. They don't usually send cast change emails only to Friends, do they.

maybe it went to your spam folder first, then got automatically deleted or something...seems unlikely though given the timings

Edited by art_enthusiast

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

They wouldn't normally change the 13th because they're also now doing the 10th. But these are not normal times!! So who knows.

Indeed - unprecedented times.
I suppose there's no chance that Natalia might do the performance on the 13th...or the one on the 1st Feb later in the run. 
I understand that's not how it works, but as there are no more tickets for the 29th Jan performance I'm trying to hope I might be able to see her in the role somehow!