Royal Ballet booking period 1 (2021) - casting and pricing

8 hours ago, alison said:

Would it make sense for the greyed-out seats to be those held back for public booking?  I haven't looked yet.

I don't think it does, really - surely there'd be a much better spread across the house, for one thing? - but I was trying to come up with alternative reasons.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, oncnp said:

........in skimming the annual report that  £105  also paid for 20 additional people in the marketing department taking the total to 111 a/o 30  Aug 20. By comparison the ballet company lost 3 people for a total of 143 (Annual Report, pg 82). 

More than happy to contribute to the ballet but not to a bloated and (completely agreeing with FLOSS here) marketing department.

The problem with the ROH (and possibly for the RB) is that all monies go to the umbrella body and not to the ballet company.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alison said:

There were similar complaints last run, for the same seats, I think.

Would it make sense for the greyed-out seats to be those held back for public booking?  I haven't looked yet.

Which seats are we talking about, the Stalls Circle C12-16 and C97-101 area? 

21 minutes ago, Rob S said:

With the exception of the 21st Century Choreographers mixed bill, those Stalls Circle seats in the blocks next to the stage (C12-16 and C97-101) have been off sale for ballet performances for several years.  They're occasionally released for those operas which have smaller orchestras.

Edited by Bluebird

16 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

While on the subject of ticket prices, having rummaged around on the ROH website in search of package booking details for next season, I'm disappointed to find this information "Packages are available in the Orchestra Stalls (Rows F-P Centre), the Stalls Circle (Row A Centre) and the Amphitheatre (Rows B-F Centre, B-E sides)." at https://www.roh.org.uk/visit/tickets/advance-booking-packages

Dawnstar the ROH box office have told me there is no decision on the availability of  packages for the Autumn season yet, pending confirmation of the Covid measures that may apply at the time. Apparently the website  hasn't been fully updated in this respect so what you have found may not be accurate for the Autumn. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

No, C22-26 and C87-91 are the greyed-out ones I've referring to. I'm well aware that the blocks nearest the stage have been rarely available & indeed rarely physically present for the last few years.

57 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Dawnstar the ROH box office have told me there is no decision on the availability of  packages for the Autumn season yet, pending confirmation of the Covid measures that may apply at the time. Apparently the website  hasn't been fully updated in this respect so what you have found may not be accurate for the Autumn. 

Thanks for the info. I'll have to hope they decide to add in the seats I was able to book in a package in 2019.

26 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

No, C22-26 and C87-91 are the greyed-out ones I've referring to. 

C22-26 and C87-91 were, for many years, day seats and, in recent times, have only been available through Friday Rush. I imagine that they are greyed out because they will continue to be Friday Rush seats in the Autumn  The similarly priced Stalls Circle row C seats, which have usually been available to book in advance, are C17-21 and C92-96

Edited to add that, as I've written above, those seats were definitely included in the original Friday Rush allocation. If you've been able to buy them in advance, maybe the Friday Rush allocation has changed in more recent times?

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Bluebird said:

C22-26 and C87-91 were, for many years, day seats and, in recent times, have only been available through Friday Rush. I imagine that they are greyed out because they will continue to be Friday Rush seats in the Autumn  The similarly priced Stalls Circle row C seats, which have usually been available to book in advance, are C17-21 and C92-96

Edited to add that, as I've written above, those seats were definitely included in the original Friday Rush allocation. If you've been able to buy them in advance, maybe the Friday Rush allocation has changed in more recent times?

I'd fogotten so many seats were rush seats. Oh well, I suppose as I'm unemployed I might be able to try for rush seats this autumn! Though I prefer advance booking as it's less stressful (once you get the stress of the first booking day over, that is).

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to revive this thread, but can anyone remember the exact running time for Giselle? I am thinking of doing the double on 27 November but last train home is just after 8pm. I have in my head that Giselle is two hours and therefore I'd have ample time, but don't want to get caught out! 

59 minutes ago, RHowarth said:

Sorry to revive this thread, but can anyone remember the exact running time for Giselle? I am thinking of doing the double on 27 November but last train home is just after 8pm. I have in my head that Giselle is two hours and therefore I'd have ample time, but don't want to get caught out! 

Last time it was 130 minutes including 25 minute interval.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 16/06/2021 at 19:56, Lizbie1 said:

I'm also curious (concerned?) about the number of greyed out seats in the lower price bands - quite a high proportion compared to the stalls and so on. I wonder what they have in mind for them. It could signify that they're being held back for General, or perhaps they are meant for a quota filling initiative?  If it's the latter I think quite a few regulars will lose out, as the greyed out seats are rather concentrated in areas where they often sit.

On 16/06/2021 at 23:21, alison said:

There were similar complaints last run, for the same seats, I think.

From ROH re. my query as to what the greyed-out seats represent....

"To answer your query, The seat price map is still in the process of updating the price map. What is up on our website are just a brief outlook for anyone that wants to get a rough idea at the moment.

Before the booking period opens in August, it should all be updated. Please keep an eye out on our websites then".

51 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I don't understand why they have published seat maps when the prices on them are still unconfirmed. It's a very strange thing to do.

I've been checking the seat maps regularly and each time I've found more seats greyed out.  I'd assumed that Patrons had been doing their booking and that, possibly, some blocks of seats had been assigned to agencies as availability has gradually diminished in the Stalls and the Grand Tier.  Also, some amphitheatre seats that originally showed as bookable are now greyed out as if they've been sold.  Maybe this is all part of the 'updating'?  Maybe these greyed out seats haven't been sold?  It's all very strange!

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oncnp

Some of the seat maps (R&J at least) have been updated and it looks like there will be packages available

image.png.0461992c014701bd141dd7a8108808b5.png

32 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Some of the seat maps (R&J at least) have been updated and it looks like there will be packages available

And the ability to design your own Stalls.....I'm just off to get some fabric samples, paint swatches and a higher seat 🙂

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, oncnp said:

So is this snippet alongside a seat all the information there is about packages? I can't find anything anywhere else.

Nice to have a five day advantage over general release....although the idea that I'd have to see the Dante Project as many times as R&J/Giselle is a touch depressing!! I think I'll give up the 8% additional discount and just 'design my own'

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. I too was browsing the price list for Giselle and saw the package prices and was just going to post it and ask when package booking opens when I found it's already been done for me.

To revert to Dawnstar's package query on the 16th June (page 3). The link she provided has now been updated (https://www.roh.org.uk/visit/tickets/advance-booking-packages)  and mentions 'mini packages ' which might suit me

• Mini Packages: offer the chance to see a selection of three productions on fixed dates. You can choose a package of three operas, three ballets or a combination of opera and ballet.

Also family packages which may be of use to someone.

• Family Packages: offer half-price tickets for under-18s on a selected production. You can request up to two full-price adult tickets, with up to four half-price tickets for under-18s.

When you use this page you click on a link that takes you to the Autumn 2021/22 package page mentioned below so I'm assuming the mini and family packages are still available though I suppose the page may not have been updated.

No indication as to what the discount is or where the seats are. There is no mention of 'mini packages' in the already mentioned link http://www.roh.org.uk/packages unless it's the 'design your own' package with 5% discount for amphi seats or 10% for Stalls Circle or Orchestra Stalls? If so, there is no mention of this package being limited to 3.  

Saying package booking is open 'A week before the standard booking period' for different levels of Friends is a bit vague. Is it an exact week ie the 10th August for bargain basement Friends like me? Will they email out to inform us about package booking or will they hope we'll forget about it and pay full price a week later? It's so long since I booked a package I've forgotten everything about it.

Guest oncnp
19 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Thanks everyone. I too was browsing the price list for Giselle and saw the package prices and was just going to post it and ask when package booking opens when I found it's already been done for me.

To revert to Dawnstar's package query on the 16th June (page 3). The link she provided has now been updated (https://www.roh.org.uk/visit/tickets/advance-booking-packages)  and mentions 'mini packages ' which might suit me

• Mini Packages: offer the chance to see a selection of three productions on fixed dates. You can choose a package of three operas, three ballets or a combination of opera and ballet.

Also family packages which may be of use to someone.

• Family Packages: offer half-price tickets for under-18s on a selected production. You can request up to two full-price adult tickets, with up to four half-price tickets for under-18s.

Saw this but didn't link as there is no date on it and the Find out more in our News & Features section link doesn't actually have any additional information (but it may be coming) and the seats mentioned don't match up (i.e. the seats I'm looking at would not be included). Also the FAQ states

We offer two types of packages.  The first is where you can 'Design Your Own' experience, or 'Total' packages that include all the operas or ballets in the given booking period (subject to availability).

No mention of Mini or Family (but may be coming). I wish the ROH would take down pages if they no longer apply. If we can all find them, they should certainly be able to. 

Edited by oncnp

Nice to get the Friends Magazine today, printed on good quality paper too unlike the general Season Guide, I much prefer looking through a magazine than scrolling screens. There are so many booking dates now, I'm seventh just in front of the general public. Some very tempting casts for Giselle, and I might even book for R and J with Naghdi/Muntagirov! 

5 hours ago, oncnp said:

Saw this but didn't link as there is no date on it and the Find out more in our News & Features section link doesn't actually have any additional information (but it may be coming) and the seats mentioned don't match up (i.e. the seats I'm looking at would not be included). Also the FAQ states

We offer two types of packages.  The first is where you can 'Design Your Own' experience, or 'Total' packages that include all the operas or ballets in the given booking period (subject to availability).

No mention of Mini or Family (but may be coming). I wish the ROH would take down pages if they no longer apply. If we can all find them, they should certainly be able to. 

Yes I  did wonder if the Mini and Family packages are too good to be true, especially in the current economic climate. 

I did ask Customer Services for package booking dates and was just now told that Friends (I'm assuming that's basic Friends) would be 13th Aug and public booking would be 19th August . Will have to wait and see.

I hadn't seen the page about Mini and Family packages when I emailed them. I think I'll reply and ask them.

On 24/07/2021 at 15:43, Beryl H said:

Nice to get the Friends Magazine today, printed on good quality paper too unlike the general Season Guide, I much prefer looking through a magazine than scrolling screens. 

Yes! And nice to see some ballet casting printed in the magazine (how long has it been since this was last the case?) However this may have meant them producing it in something of a rush, as there are a couple of potentially confusing omissions:

p.66 - Romeo & Juliet - the last column should I assume be headed "January" (so that it begins with Osipova/Clarke dancing on January 10 and so on)

p.71 - Giselle - similarly the middle column should be headed "November" (so starting with Osipova/Clarke on November 4)

It is easy enough to work out what is meant (and to crosscheck online) but just a warning for people in a hurry. 

• Like 2

Just a point to note for any "Friends+" looking to book packages: the website currently indicates  these will be available for Friends+ to book from 13 August, but that would be a day after normal booking opens for this class of member, which is not supposed to be the case. I queried this with the Box Office today and had the following speedy and helpful reply:

"The packages will be indeed available on the same day as booking, on the 12 August . 
We will pass the message to the IT department to correct the message online". 
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

Yes! And nice to see some ballet casting printed in the magazine (how long has it been since this was last the case?) However this may have meant them producing it in something of a rush, as there are a couple of potentially confusing omissions:

p.66 - Romeo & Juliet - the last column should I assume be headed "January" (so that it begins with Osipova/Clarke dancing on January 10 and so on)

p.71 - Giselle - similarly the middle column should be headed "November" (so starting with Osipova/Clarke on November 4)

It is easy enough to work out what is meant (and to crosscheck online) but just a warning for people in a hurry. 

They haven't actually omitted the months.  They've just put them in a potentially confusing place.

All the entries in the Magazine are done in a similar way – i.e. the dates for each production are presented as a list of numbers followed by the month and the time. 

Eg The Dante Project is listed as 12, 15, 18, 20,21, 28 October at 7.30pm

16 October at 1pm and 7pm.

30 October at  11.30am. 

For Romeo and Juliet and Giselle, because the casting is listed after each date, the month appears after a lengthy list of dates and casts. This is made even more confusing by the fact that these productions span two or more months so that, for example, the Giselle listing for November 27 is simply followed by 1(Takada, Corrales) with the word 'December' not appearing till after the end of the listings for December.

I agree that they haven't thought this through properly.  More careful editing could have made the listings a lot clearer.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

I've never used packages before, and I don't quite understand what I can see at the moment about the total ballet Amphi package, which is supposed to offer a 10% discount. If I check the seats/prices for the seats I would normally aim to buy, I can see a potential discount of about 10% for R&J (£43 down to £38.75) as part of such a package, a discount of about 5% on Nutcracker, and no discount on Giselle or Dante Project for the same seats. Do packages vary as to which seats get included for which productions? Sorry if this info is on the website but my head is now spinning about all this. And if you have to book more expensive seats for some of the productions in order to make use of the package, it would just make it all more not less expensive! Or is the seating plan maybe not up to date yet?

On 24/07/2021 at 19:39, jmhopton said:

Yes I  did wonder if the Mini and Family packages are too good to be true, especially in the current economic climate. 

I did ask Customer Services for package booking dates and was just now told that Friends (I'm assuming that's basic Friends) would be 13th Aug and public booking would be 19th August . Will have to wait and see.

I hadn't seen the page about Mini and Family packages when I emailed them. I think I'll reply and ask them.

Well I had my reply back from Customer Services and, surprise, surprise, the mini and family packages are old news. There are just the total and selected options available as already noted. I did reply back, politely saying perhaps it would be a good idea to remove this page as other people could find it and get confused.

I also asked if you wanted to book a complete ballet package but then find you couldn't attend one performance or any subsequent dates, what would happen? Would your package discount become obsolete or would you just get a voucher for the performance you couldn't attend? I was told you would get a gift voucher so your other performances would still be discounted so that might be helpful to know.

• Like 3

I noticed last night that the ROH website has stated which Nutcracker performances will be for schools/children only since I last looked...Sat 4th Dec will be the Paul Hamlyn performance (Cuthbertson as SPF) and the Tuesday 7th Dec matinee will be for schools (so the general public miss Tierny Heap as SPF ☹️ )