Royal Ballet booking period 1 (2021) - casting and pricing

At the risk of sounding impatient, can I ask if anyone knows when casting for Autumn is likely to be announced?

I'm trying to make some plans and am wondering whether it's worth holding off.

Edited by Lizbie1

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

At the risk of sounding impatient, can I ask if anyone knows when casting for Autumn is likely to be announced?

A member of the ROH staff told me that they were anticipating that casting news  for the first 21/22 booking period would emerge during the week commencing 14th June.

I think most of us also want more information about casting for the programme which commences on the 26th June.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, capybara said:

A member of the ROH staff told me that they were anticipating that casting news  for the first 21/22 booking period would emerge during the week commencing 14th June.

I think most of us also want more information about casting for the programme which commences on the 26th June.

... and what they will be dancing!

19 hours ago, capybara said:

Confirmed in the Friends newsletter:

"We’re looking forward to sharing further details of ballet casting and pricing for our Autumn performances with you next week so do look out for an email from us."

• Like 1

On 11/06/2021 at 22:48, alison said:

Oh dear - "and pricing" ?

The seat price maps are now on the ROH website:

Romeo and Juliet https://www.roh.org.uk/seatmap?performanceId=48934

Dante Project https://www.roh.org.uk/seatmap?performanceId=49239

Giselle https://www.roh.org.uk/seatmap?performanceId=48954

The Nutcracker https://www.roh.org.uk/seatmap?performanceId=48973

"Tickets for this event are not currently on sale" will come up but, if you click on "OK", the price chart will appear.

I assume it's a mistake but, according to the 'key' the places in row D in the Grand Tier and Balcony are currently designated as standing places!!  

Edited to add that the central block of the Balcony does not appear to be available for performances of The Dante Project

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

And very interesting they are too Bluebird, many thanks! Any idea what the grey ones are? Although seats are not yet for sale, it seems these are marked as either already sold or as not to be sold? Or have I misunderstood?

11 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Edited to add that the central block of the Balcony does not appear to be available for performances of The Dante Project

IIRC that was also the case when it was originally scheduled (I assume it's something to do with projections or something).

1 minute ago, Geoff said:

And very interesting they are too Bluebird, many thanks! Any idea what the grey ones are? Although seats are not yet for sale, it seems these are marked as either already sold or as not to be sold? Or have I misunderstood?

I'm pretty sure it means that they're being held back for some reason.  They're greyed out for every performance of every production that I've checked.

Looking at the area where I usually sit, the side stalls circle, there's some very strange pricing going on for R&J: row B is £43 and row C £63. Surely that can't be correct for row B. Row C was £58 last time around so I suppose a £5 price increase is par for the course 2 years later.

I find it very galling that seats in my usual seat area (in the Amphi) for Dante Project are £19 and the same seats for R&J are £43. Does the RB really have so little confidence in its new/contemporary works? Is DP really worth well under half what R&J is worth? Is it really going to be so difficult to sell tickets for DP? (In which case, why stage it?).

I also see seats for (e.g.) R&J inching towards £50 with horror. Clearly my days of going to multiple casts of great works are numbered. 

• Like 10

Guest oncnp

Casting  (sorry for taking up so much room but the attachment wouldn't)

Romeo and Juliet

Tuesday 5 October 7pm, Saturday 23 October 7pm                                                           Hayward, Corrales

Saturday 9 October 11.30am, Saturday 23 October 1.30pm                                              Kaneko*, Bracewell*

Wednesday 13 October 7.30pm, Friday 22 October 7.30pm                                              Naghdi, Muntagirov

Tuesday 19 October 7.30pm, Sunday 24 October 2pm, Wednesday 9 February 7.30pm, Friday 25 February 7.30pm                                                                                                                                    Lamb, McRae

Monday 10 January 7.30pm, Saturday 29 January 7.30pm                                                Osipova, Clarke*

Wednesday 12 January 7.30pm, Saturday 15 January 11.30am                                         Takada, Campbell*

Thursday 13 January 7.30pm, Tuesday 1 February 7.30pm                                                Nuñez, Bonelli

Friday 28 January 7.30pm, Thursday 3 February 7.30pm (live cinema relay)                   O’Sullivan, Sambé           

Saturday 29 January 1.30pm, Saturday 5 February 7.30pm                                               Naghdi, Ball

Wednesday 9 February 1.30pm, Thursday 17 February 7.30pm                                         Hamilton, Hirano

Thursday 10 February 7.30pm,                                                                                             Magri*, Richardson*

Saturday 19 February 12pm, Thursday 24 February 7.30pm                                             Cuthbertson, Ball

The Dante Project

Choreography Wayne McGregor

Thursday 14 October 7.30pm, Friday 15 October 7.30pm, Saturday 16 October 7pm, Thursday 21 October 7.30pm, Tuesday 26 October 7.30pm (live stream), Saturday 30 October 11.30am

Watson*, Avis*, Lauren Cuthbertson*, Francesca Hayward*, Fumi Kaneko*, Sarah Lamb*, Mayara Magri*, Yasmine Naghdi*, Marianela Nuñez*, Natalia Osipova*, Anna Rose O’Sullivan*, Akane Takada* Matthew Ball*, William Bracewell*, Alexander Campbell*, Cesar Corrales*, Ryoichi Hirano*, Paul Kay*, Calvin Richardson*, Marcelino Sambé*, Joseph Sissens*

Saturday 16 October 1pm, Monday 18 October 7.30pm, Wednesday 20 October 7.30pm, Thursday 28 October 7.30pm

Bonelli*, Mock* Olivia Cowley*, Ashley Dean*, Leticia Dias*, Melissa Hamilton*, Tierney Heap*, Fumi Kaneko*, Yasmine Nagdhi*, Anna Rose O’Sullivan*, Romany Pajdak*, Lukas Bjørneboe Brændsrød*, Harry Churches*, Reece Clarke*, Cesar Corrales*, Leo Dixon*, Nicol Edmonds*, Benjamin Ella*, Giacomo Rovero*, Francisco Serrano*

Giselle

Giselle, Albrecht

Thursday 4 November 7.30pm, Friday 12 November 7.30pm                                        Osipova, Clarke*

Friday 5 November 7.30pm, Saturday 20 November 1.30pm                                        Cuthbertson, Bonelli

Monday 8 November 7.30pm, Thursday 18 November 7.30pm                                     Nuñez, Muntagirov

Wednesday 10 November 7.30pm, Saturday 20 November 7pm (live stream)             Naghdi, Ball

Friday 19 November 12.30pm, Wednesday 1 December 7.30pm                                  Takada, Corrales*

Monday 22 November 7.30pm, Saturday 27 November 5pm                                        Hayward, Campbell

Wednesday 24 November 12.30pm, Thursday 2 December 7.30pm                            Lamb, Sambé*

Saturday 27 November 11.30am, Friday 3 December 7.30pm                                       Morera, Hirano

The Nutcracker

Tuesday 23 November 7.30pm, Thursday 25 November 2pm, Monday 29 November 7.30pm

Nuñez, Muntagirov, Avis, O’Sullivan, Hay

Thursday 25 November 7.30pm, Saturday 4 December 7pm             Osipova, Clarke, Saunders, Hinkis, Zucchetti

Monday 6 December 7.30pm, Thursday 9 December 7.30pm (live cinema relay)

Takada, Corrales*, Saunders, Gasparini, Acri

Tuesday 7 December 7.30pm                                                            Hayward, Campbell, Gartside, O’Sullivan, Hay

Friday 10 December 2pm, Monday 13 December 7.30pm               Cuthbertson, Bracewell, Gartside, Hinkis, Zucchetti

Friday 10 December 7.30pm, Saturday 18 December 7pm              Lamb, McRae, Whitehead, Dean, Ella

Thursday 16 December 7.30pm                                                         Hayward, Campbell, Gartside, Dean, Ella

Saturday 18 December 1.30pm                                                          Naghdi, Ball, Whitehead, Gasparini, Acri

Tuesday 21 December 2pm                                                               Magri*, Hirano, Saunders, Dean, Ella

Tuesday 21 December 7.30pm                                                          Naghdi, Ball, Whitehead, Pajdak*, Dixon*

Wednesday 22 December 12.30pm                                                  Kaneko, Edmonds, Avis, Hinkis, Zucchetti

Thursday 23 December 7.30pm                                                        Magri, Hirano, Saunders, Stock, Sissens*

Friday 24 December 12.30pm, Thursday 30 December 7.30pm

O’Sullivan*, Sambé*, Whitehead, Pajdak, Dixon

Wednesday 29 December 7.30pm                                                    Kaneko, Edmonds, Avis, Stock, Sissens

Friday 31 December 4pm                                                                  Calvert, Clarke, Avis, Maeda*, Yudes

Monday 3 January 1.30pm                                                                Choe, Ella, Gartside, Maeda, Yudes

Monday 3 January 7pm                                                                     Morera, Bracewell, Whitehead, Stock, Sissens

Wednesday 5 January 7.30pm                                                          Calvert, Clarke, Avis, Pajdak, Dixon

Thursday 6 January 7.30pm                                                              O’Sullivan, Zucchetti, Gartside, Maeda, Yudes

Friday 7 January 7.30pm                                                                    Choe, Ella, Gartside, Stock, Sissens

Saturday 8 January 1pm                                                                    O’Sullivan, Zucchetti, Whitehead, Allnatt*, Junker*

Saturday 8 January 6.30pm                                                              Morera, Bracewell, Avis, Maeda, Yudes

* role debut

Edited by oncnp

Oh dear, hardly of the dancers I wanted to see in R&J are paired with each other, & a number of dancers who I'd wanted to see are paired with dancers who I don't really want to see! So there's only a couple of pairs where I really want to see both dancers & they're dancers who I saw in the last run anyway. Difficult to justify seeing casts where I only want to see 1 of the 2 leads at £63 or more per ticket!

PS Has Bracewell really not done Romeo on stage before? I'm surprised he was cast for the film then. I'd assumed they'd based the film casting on stage casting from the run prior to filming.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bluebird said:

This is really helpful thank you. 

I understand it's been a tough year financially for ROH (and other theatres) but I feel like I'm being priced out of even mid-range amphi tickets for both R&J and the Nutcracker! 

Is R&J really the same price level as the Nutcracker (which alongside Swan Lake would be in the highest pricing tier given it draws in 'non-regulars')? Nothing against R&J but I find it odd that Giselle which I think of as a more well known ballet is priced lower (not that I'm complaining!!). 

Have to admit I'm not overly excited by casting for some reason but I am looking forward to maybe Naghdi/Muntagirov in R&J (though will struggle to choose between that and Naghdi/Ball as we all know that's a great combination). I wish they had maybe swapped a bit of casting so we could see Naghdi/Muntagirov in Giselle or the Nutcracker. And wish they had more Giselles (both performances and also additional casting choices, given the mammoth runs of R&J/Nutcracker and being a Giselle fan I do feel a bit hard done by here!). 

But all fairly minor gripes considering it's been far too long since I've seen any live ballet! 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Bluebird said:

I'm pretty sure it means that they're being held back for some reason.  They're greyed out for every performance of every production that I've checked.

Perhaps they are Friday Rush tickets? 

16 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Oh dear, hardly of the dancers I wanted to 

PS Has Bracewell really not done Romeo on stage before? I'm surprised he was cast for the film then. I'd assumed they'd based the film casting on stage casting from the run prior to filming.

Bracewell did Romeo with BRB. I have a treasured memory of taking a half day off work for a Friday matinee and seeing him dance it with Delia Matthews. 

• Like 7

Some observations:

R and J - No one misses out from 2018/19. Bracewell and Clarke make the debuts they missed. Campbell and Richardson have unexpected(?) debuts. Bonelli is back. McRae is back. Naghdi/Muntagirov.

Giselle - No female debuts. No McRae. No Ella. Sambé makes the debut he missed in 2017/18. Lamb and Sambé partnered for the first time.

Nutcracker - Osipova’s first London Nutcracker since 2013/14. No Bonelli. No Hamilton. All missed debuts reinstated. Allnatt and Junker have unexpected(?) debuts as Clara and Hans-Peter. O’Sullivan and Zucchetti the only dancers to take two roles as Sambé retires Hans-Peter.

General - Osipova/Clarke is definitely a thing. Cinema/live streams focusing on the younger dancers: O'Sullivan/Sambé, Naghdi/Ball, Takada/Corrales.

• Like 6

A few immediate reactions:

Kaneko/Bracewell R&J - very exciting prospect.

Thrilled that Campbell is finally doing Romeo (at the ROH).

Thrilled that Sambé is doing Albrecht, and with Sarah Lamb! Intriguing casting.

Too many difficult choices to make... 

It seems to me that Clarke is doing the work and carrying the responsibility of a principal without having been promoted - not very fair. (And will Osipova now dance with no-one else?!).

• Like 10

35 minutes ago, Saodan said:

Nutcracker - Osipova’s first London Nutcracker since 2013/14. No Bonelli. No Hamilton. All missed debuts reinstated. Allnatt and Junker have unexpected(?) debuts as Clara and Hans-Peter. O’Sullivan and Zucchetti the only dancers to take two roles as Sambé retires Hans-Peter.

General - Osipova/Clarke is definitely a thing.

I'd like to see Sophie Allnatt as Clara, as she's stood out for me in the corps since she joined the RB, but as her only performance is a Saturday matinee I fear there would be a lot of children in the audience.

I rather wish it wasn't, as I like Clarke but don't really like Osipova. I was hoping to finally get to see him as Romeo, having had tickets in 2019 to see him with both Hamilton & Nunez, but I'm not sure I want to see Osipova's Juliet.

• Like 2

Bluebird the S for “standing” in row D in the Balcony I found when I pressed on them they came up as Tall seats ....at quite a price too for Giselle at any rate £90!! 
There are some strange timings for performances. Saturday at 11.30 is a difficult one unless you live in London but isn’t it the weekends that give non Londoners a chance to see performances. 
Ive also never seen 12.30 on a Friday before....could that be a school performance? 
Some interesting partnerships. 
Id be keen to see Kaneko and Bracewell in R &J and Takada and Corrales in Giselle haven’t got head around all the Nutcrackers yet though. 
Thanks for typing all that casting out oncnp! 

16 minutes ago, bridiem said:

It seems to me that Clarke is doing the work and carrying the responsibility of a principal without having been promoted - not very fair. (And will Osipova now dance with no-one else?!).

I hadn't immediately clocked that he's doing the first night of Giselle. I know he did the first night of Onegin but that was as a replacement rather than deliberately scheduled. To expect the only non-Principal Albrecht to make his role debut in front of the first night critics does seem rather a lot of pressure.

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'd like to see Sophie Allnatt as Clara, as she's stood out for me in the corps since she joined the RB, but as her only performance is a Saturday matinee I fear there would be a lot of children in the audience.

I rather wish it wasn't, as I like Clarke but don't really like Osipova. I was hoping to finally get to see him as Romeo, having had tickets in 2019 to see him with both Hamilton & Nunez, but I'm not sure I want to see Osipova's Juliet.

Osipova’s Juliet is worth seeing. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Tebasile said:

Osipova’s Juliet is worth seeing. 

agree.   She’ll carry Clarke through.   What an opportunity this partnership is turning into for him.  

Edited by FionaE

Some of the casting is exciting, some disappointing and some I didn't see coming. Intrigued that Naghdi is getting 2 goes as Juliet; one with Muntagirov and one with Ball. Would be definitely interested in seeing her with Muntagirov. Good to see him with a younger dancer for a change. I enjoyed their Corsaire pas de deux in the Fonteyn tribute and also their recent Apollo. Thrilled Sambe and O'Sullivan have the Romeo cinema broadcast (though I thought the earlier info. said the first performance was being filmed; now it seems to be filmed in Jan). Am slightly perplexed some seem to be streamed and some cinema broadcasts. I thought everything was cinema broadcast. However, it seems to make sense if you are continuing with some streaming to stream something like Dante as it's more of a young persons medium. Interesting Takada/Coralles are doing the cinema Nutcracker. Kevin is really showcasing his young talent and new promotions. Great Gasparini is getting the Nutcracker cinema broadcast too. 

Like Dawnstar I'm intrigued that Clarke is getting so many plum roles when not a principal. From the time James Hay was promoted to first soloist Clarke (even when still a soloist) seem to have leading roles; Swan Lake  with Osipova and possibly Manon as well. Then he got promoted and did Onegin, Romeo and Sleeping Beauty. I think James Hay got a couple of Sleeping Beauties but wasn't he injured for one? By comparison with Clarke he gets few great roles and yet is a wonderful dancer. I know he isn't very tall but would be great with O'Sullivan if their sparking Dances at a Gathering livestream is anything to go by, also Hayward, though I know both dancers are in demand by different partners. I'm not saying I don't like Clarke, on the contrary I think he is a great dancer and loved him in Dances at a Gathering on Sunday (my first time on a train and in a theatre for 15 months!) and also with Kaneko in Sleeping Beauty. It's just I'd like to see a bit more of James Hay. Am disappointed there are no new Giselles though I understand the newly promoted principals all have a go in Romeo and Juliet (though I would have liked to see Magri/Ball in Romeo after their terrific Carousel). Slightly disappointed Morera is not doing Giselle with Bonelli as they were so terrific together in Mayerling. Has she done Giselle much? Would love to see her though 11.30am is a weird matinee time for non-Londoners and I can't afford a lot of overnight stays. Not sure about Lamb and Sambe in Giselle. Disappointed O'Sullivan isn't debuting with him as I think she would be sensational and they would be terrific together. She reminds me a little of Roberta Marquez and roles like Giselle and Lise in la Fille were ones Roberta excelled in.

All in all, while the rep. may not be the most exciting, I'm looking forward to choosing some great casts to see. Just to see a full length ballet live at the ROH will be enough if I can afford to see that many. Not ventured to look at the prices yet! My ambitions may be severely curtailed!

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, FionaE said:

agree.   She’ll carry Clarke through.   What an opportunity this partnership is turning into for him.  

Those of us who saw Reece Clarke as Des Grieux (some time ago now  - possibly 2018) will have no doubt about his Romeo - (and his ability to carry Osipova 😉!!!)

• Like 10