According to the Prix de Lausanne news today, the Royal Ballet’s PDL apprentice for the season 2019/20, Sumina Sasaki, will be joining the company as an artiste.

Wishing her well and she’s certainly a beautiful dancer. 

Edited by Springbourne3
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/08/2020 at 20:31, Sleepingbunny said:

Here's an article from Ballet News about another Aud Jebsen Young Dancer, James Large, starting this year: http://www.balletnews.co.uk/from-student-to-star-james-owen-large-the-royal-ballet/

And here's two more:

http://www.balletnews.co.uk/from-student-to-star-maddison-pritchard-the-royal-ballet/

http://www.balletnews.co.uk/from-student-to-star-marco-masciari-the-royal-ballet/

Ms Pritchard featured on the 2019 World Ballet Day being coached along with these two Principals..

• Like 2

I don’t understand why the RB has not yet confirmed the Aud Jensen Young Dancers for 2020/21, especially as  the 3 young men were seen being offered such contracts on the BBC4 Programme Men at the Barre. 
Marco Masciari was announced as the Prix de Lausanne Apprentice by the Prix - long ago too.

And another RBS graduate has been dropping hints on social media that she is joining as an AJ too.

This HUGE moment for these young people needs to be formally recognised.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Patience is a virtue (as well as one of my favourite G&S operettas).

I'm very good at patience but I am thinking of the young people concerned and, however supportive I am of the RB (very!), providing information of this kind is a good way of keeping fans 'with' them while they sort themselves out artistically.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, jmhopton said:

…... also if there are going to be any RB promotions this year but haven't heard back yet. 

They have added 5 or 6 dancers (Aud Jebsen Young Dancer + PDL apprentice) to the corps have they not for the loss of 2 (not counting Watson as he is going to coach)?  With that bump to the payroll would promoting be fiscally responsible when they are begging for money to keep the lights on?

Edited by oncnp

3 hours ago, oncnp said:

They have added 5 or 6 dancers (Aud Jebsen Young Dancer + PDL apprentice) to the corps have they not for the loss of 2 (not counting Watson as he is going to coach)?  With that bump to the payroll would promoting be fiscally responsible when they are begging for money to keep the lights on?

I am very pleased that RB have kept these young people on during this pandemic.  They may not have meant to convert all to artists, but this is the ‘right thing to do’ in these awful circumstances.  Announcing it publicly might draw the wrong sort of attention, so my guess is that the ROH have deliberately gone quiet.  Not announcing any promotions is understandable too.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Announcing it publicly might draw the wrong sort of attention, so my guess is that the ROH have deliberately gone quiet.  

Announcing it would also have been transparent. The ROH has no problem announcing they have fired all of their casual staff with perhaps worse to come  when the results of the redundancy consultations are announced.  Just a little duplicitous.

Edited by oncnp

22 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Yes I agree. I didn't really think there would be any promotions this year given the financial circumstances but it would be nice to be told this and had it official. 

Recently there was a Ballet Association Zoom interview with Kevin O'Hare. He was asked about this matter and his  response was that there wouldn't be any promotions.

I think that the six new corps members were told they would have Artist contracts before the pandemic struck.

However, it is customary for them to be kept secret until the overall announcement at the end of the season....... which only ‘sort of’ happened.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It is sad but I suppose lockdown has made her realise how hard she was working to maintain her standard at the ROH and be a good mother. It is obvious that both of the McCraes adore their children and perhaps she realised how much she was missing them. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Fiz said:

It is sad but I suppose lockdown has made her realise how hard she was working to maintain her standard at the ROH and be a good mother. It is obvious that both of the McCraes adore their children and perhaps she realised how much she was missing them. 

I really hope you're right and not a case of jumping before she got pushed as part of the ROH cost cutting program.  

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Elizabeth Harrod taking voluntary redundancy from Royal Ballet
12 minutes ago, oncnp said:

I really hope you're right and not a case of jumping before she got pushed as part of the ROH cost cutting program.  

If it’s a voluntary redundancy I would assume that a consultation process has been ongoing and the company has been advised it’s on the cards. Hate to think of who this could affect, voluntary or otherwise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blossom said:

If it’s a voluntary redundancy I would assume that a consultation process has been ongoing and the company has been advised it’s on the cards. Hate to think of who this could affect, voluntary or otherwise.

Ongoing since July at least. And @capybara mentioned that Patrons/Friends were told on a conference call recently that it was nearing conclusion. The ROH has stated that artists would be preferentially protected so not sure this bodes well. 

39 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Perhaps she decided the time is right with the offer being on.  It may not be anything more than that.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIJN1sWgdGg/

Exactly! The ROH has emphasised that it’s priority is to sustain the RB, the RO chorus and the orchestra. I have heard and read this several times from Alex Beard.

I have today listened to more of the Open Barre podcasts from BCF’s TothePointe and Grace Blundell (who also left the RB recently) was discussing with Julia Dixon and Brandon Laurence her decision to branch out into the realm of fitness and teaching - something she had time to think through and develop during lockdown.

There could well be others who have considered their options and if redundancy money is available at the moment .............

• Like 3

If you’re considering moving on in the near future, voluntary redundancy is a great result due to the extra payout! I imagine it must be hard to have 3 young children and both parents working such long hours. Sometimes you just get to the stage that you can’t do it any longer, I’m not sure it’s indicative of any major changes ahead. 

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I think that some of this news was ‘leaked’ on social media, there were some other ‘markers’ during recent streamings or in the Nutcracker casting, and four of the ladies now have young families.

There was a particularly lovely tribute to Nathalie Harrison yesterday on Beatriz Stix Brunell’s Instagram account.

• Like 2