Guest oncnp
51 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Tristan Dyer has today announced that he has left the Royal Ballet.

Did he say where he was going? I hope this is not the beginning of a reduced company due to the current financial issues. 

Haven't seen any announcement from the RB (i.e. no "thanks and good luck on your next endeavor" as seems to be customary) yet but that may be due to staffing levels. 

Edited by oncnp

7 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Did he say where he was going? 

He suggested that he was hanging up his ballet shoes .... and was - in a very nice posting - full of praise and thanks for his employer and many colleagues.  I'm sure we all send him every best wish ... 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5

I've been wondering for ages what has happened to him and actually mentioned him in one of my letters to Kevin O'Hare (but didn't get a reply on that subject at least) I don't recall seeing him since the Bernstein trilogy where he had quite a large part and was really good and I think featured on cinema posters . I thought that might kick start his career then never heard of him since. I wondered if he had already left but he was still listed and then if he was injured. Didn't even notice him in corps but put that down to not being able to get to many performances. Will be sorry to see him go but perhaps he had to make a difficult decision. I wish him well for whatever he now chooses to do.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve been thinking about the annual joiners and leavers announcement and wondering how dancers have been able to audition if they are looking to leave, or if they have not had contracts extended.  Do the Aud Jebsen Young Dancers at RB have automatic acceptance into the main company?  It was my impression they did not.  Happy to learn more about the programme ...

4 hours ago, FionaE said:

I’ve been thinking about the annual joiners and leavers announcement and wondering how dancers have been able to audition if they are looking to leave, or if they have not had contracts extended.  Do the Aud Jebsen Young Dancers at RB have automatic acceptance into the main company?  It was my impression they did not.  Happy to learn more about the programme ...

If you saw Men at the Barre, you will know that, when students are offered a place as an Aud Jebsen Young Dancer, they are told that it is a one year contract with a view to joining The Royal Ballet. However, it is not automatic. Apparently, those on the AJYD contracts are told early in the calendar year whether or not they have a place in the Company but they are not permitted to divulge that until the official announcement is made. There have been years when all the AJYDs have been offered a contract but, on a minority of occasions, one of two dancers have not been so lucky.

It would be nice if the announcement about Leavers and Joiners could be made now, but I guess that everything is in a state of flux.

• Like 3

He was a lovely dancer. First noticed him in DGV but also particularly liked him in Age of Anxiety, Frankenstein and Symphonic Variations. I’d noticed he’d not been on stage during the curtailed 19/20 season and wondered if he might already have left. Very best wishes to him for his future.

Tristan’s IG post from 2nd July 2020:

tristandyer After 10 years dancing professionally in The Royal Ballet and a lifetime of training, I have decided to hang my shoes up and take my final bow. I will treasure this part of my life forever and hold many special moments close to my heart. It was a dream come true to be a part of such a historic establishment and it lived up to every expectation and more. I have so much admiration and love for all my fellow colleagues and the support system I have had over the years. I cannot even begin to express my gratitude for my family and friends and everyone who’s been there for me. Onto the next chapter & I look forward to cheering you all on from the other side of the curtain!

• 3 weeks later...

Very strange. An end of season announcement from Kevin O'Hare with no mention of joiners, new apprentices or promotions.  Only leavers are mentioned.

https://www.roh.org.uk/news/royal-ballet-end-of-season-announcement

The majority of the announcement is devoted to Ed Watson who is joining the coaching staff.  Erico Montes and Tristan Dyer are the only leavers mentioned. I've pasted the announcement below.

"

"Director of The Royal Ballet Kevin O’Hare has announced Company news for the end of The Royal Ballet 2019/20 Season.

Kevin O’Hare comments, “With the unexpected advent of the global pandemic, our 2019/20 Season was a shorter one than planned but one in which our dancers shone brightly. My thanks go to all the performers who dazzled across the repertory we were able to present, from the enduringly popular 19th and 20th-century classics of The Royal Ballet to revivals of works not seen for some years like Coppélia and Dances at a Gathering to the creation of new ballets by Cathy Marston and Pam Tanowitz. My heartfelt gratitude goes to the wonderful staff who made these productions possible.

Principal dancer Edward Watson joins the roster of Royal Ballet coaches for the 2020/21 Season as Répétiteur. During the past 18 months Watson has been coaching dancers for various productions and in his new role, with his in-depth knowledge and experience, will help prepare them for the broad range of the Company’s repertory.

He will give his final performance on the main stage in The Dante Project by Wayne McGregor on a date yet to be confirmed following the postponement of the production’s world premiere. Watson joined The Royal Ballet in 1994 and is regarded as one of the world’s leading male dancers of his generation, winning multiple awards and bringing a unique artistry to the Company’s repertory. He created numerous new ballets and forged creative partnerships with acclaimed international choreographers including Wayne McGregor, Christopher Wheeldon and Arthur Pita.

Kevin O’Hare comments: “Edward’s artistic sensibility and extraordinary physicality have made him one of the most distinctive performers of his generation, and indeed in The Royal Ballet’s history, ushering in a new era of possibility for men in ballet. His expressive versatility and openness for collaboration have proved an inspiration both for leading creatives such as our Resident Choreographer Wayne McGregor and also for the other dancers in the Company. He follows in the footsteps of the great dance-actors of The Royal Ballet giving memorable performances of dramatic intensity in such roles as Kenneth MacMillan’s Crown Prince Rudolf and Christopher Wheeldon’s King Leontes, contrasted with the poetic grace of his Palemon in Ashton’s Ondine and an otherworldly presence as Oberon in The Dream. We look forward to the opportunity to celebrate his career at a future date and I am delighted that he now brings his artistry to bear on leading the next generation of performers.”

Invaluable contributions to The Royal Ballet over many years have also been made by Soloist Tristan Dyer and First Artist Erico Montes who retire at the end of the 2019/20 Season. The Royal Ballet wishes them both every success for the future.

Following his two-year appointment as the inaugural Constant Lambert Conducting Fellow, Thomas Jung leaves at the end of the 2019/20 Season. The Constant Lambert Fellowship provides a tailor-made mentoring programme for conducting for ballet, working across The Royal Ballet and Birmingham Royal Ballet.

The next placement for the Constant Lambert Fellowship is deferred for a year. Charlotte Politi, a graduate of the Hochschule für Musik Karlsruhe and of the University of Michigan, takes up the Fellowship in the 2021/22 Season."

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 3

Agree this is strange .... I can understand delaying promotions, but contracts for new graduates and Aud Jebsen dancers?    

I don’t like this kind of half-statement.   It looks weak.   They could have just added a line to say info on new joiners will be made at a later date.  

• Like 2

But it is exactly the same as for Northern Ballet who explained that the dancers offered contracts have not yet been able to join the company.

No promotions within Northern Ballet or Birmingham Royal Ballet so this can't be entirely unexpected.

• Like 5

Some 2019/20 Aud Jebsen Dancers were offered contracts and the BBC Programme Men at the Barre, which was broadcast on 27th May, well into the pandemic, included shots of Kevin O'Hare offering Aud Jebsen places to three young men for 2020/21.

If this is an emerging pattern as Jan suggests that it is, it is tragic for the young people concerned.

I am glad that Edward Watson has been given a nice tribute. So much deserved. Word on the street is that the RB does now have some plans for going forward. The sooner that these can be shared the better - for the dancers and audience alike.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, capybara said:

Some 2019/20 Aud Jebsen Dancers were offered contracts and the BBC Programme Men at the Barre, which was broadcast on 27th May, well into the pandemic, included shots of Kevin O'Hare offering Aud Jebsen places to three young men for 2020/21.

But it was filmed in mid-January, the end of the Beauty run is mentioned. Who knows what happened to those contracts in the interim? 

Erico Montes has been with the company since 2004. I think that deserves more than a passing mention. 

1 hour ago, capybara said:

I am glad that Edward Watson has been given a nice tribute. So much deserved. Word on the street is that the RB does now have some plans for going forward. The sooner that these can be shared the better - for the dancers and audience alike.

and it's made the Guardian already.....

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2020/aug/14/edward-watson-to-retire-as-royal-ballet-principal-dancer

2021 makes much more sense for Dante's Inferno to be premiered as it is the 700th anniversary of the great poet's death in 1321. I was quite surprised that it wasn't originally scheduled to coincide with this, but maybe no-one was aware of it. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, oncnp said:

But it was filmed in mid-January, the end of the Beauty run

Yes, but surely the company and the dancers concerned would have had a preview and been given the opportunity to comment/raise anything they were unhappy with. That is normal practice with these kinds of ventures.

16 minutes ago, capybara said:

Yes, but surely the company and the dancers concerned would have had a preview and been given the opportunity to comment/raise anything they were unhappy with. That is normal practice with these kinds of ventures.

It was commissioned by the BBC, not the company. They may have  indeed "been given the opportunity to comment/raise anything they were unhappy with" but was the producer under any obligation to change it? In addition, if it was "in the can" perhaps he didn't want to re-edit it. 

In any case, hopefully you're right and  those dancers contracts are just delayed (not that that is good) and don't end up being canceled. 

49 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm sorry to read that Erico Montes is leaving. I've enjoyed seeing him in some character roles recently & thought maybe he'd go more in that direction & end up as a Character Artist, but evidently he's decided not to.

yes me too ...I’ve also been delighted with his character artist roles 👏

And I am also disappointed in the long write-up on Ed Watson and no info on Erico Montes ... sixteen years later.   I had a similar feeling at Nehemiah Kish’s final performance.  KOH came on stage to make a speech about Nehemiah, and had absolutely nothing to say about Helen Crawford, first soloist of umpteen years who was also appearing for her last time.  

I’m a great supporter of KOH, he does a lot right usually.   Not in this regard.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

KOH came on stage to make a speech about Nehemiah, and had absolutely nothing to say about Helen Crawford, first soloist of umpteen years who was also appearing for her last time.  

I can’t recall RB stage farewells, speeches or flower showers for anyone other than Principals.. And, in the past, some of the leaving tributes were on the initiative of the audience.

• Like 3

I too am very disappointed in the cavalier way Kevin O'Hare referred almost in passing to Erico Montes leaving after all his years contributing to the excellence of the RB. Ballet companies aren't only about the big names, they depend just as much on the more unsung heroes such as Erico for their high performance standard. Though I don't attend the RB nearly as often as I'd like I always look out for Erico and thought he gave every part his all, no matter how small it was. I always rather compared him with Romany Padjak, both senior dancers with the RB in terms of longevity and experience but both rather overlooked in the promotion stakes. When Romany was recently promoted and started doing solo roles I was so pleased for her, and also hoped that Erico would be similarly recognised (perhaps at the end of this season) but unfortunately not. He didn't sound very happy about things in Men at the Barre but, like Dawnstar, I hoped he would start doing character roles after his excellent inn keeper in Coppelia but sadly not to be. I hope he has great success and enjoyment in his new career. His performances always gave me so much pleasure. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, jmhopton said:

I He didn't sound very happy about things in Men at the Barre ….

Someone will correct me but I believe that was Valentino Zucchetti who was sounding a bit disgruntled, 

Yes Valentino did rather monopolise the fed up feeling in Men at the Barre but there was just a minute with Erico saying how the corps de ballet 'weren't trusted' (I think that was his expression) to do anything elaborate at curtain calls apart from possibly move an arm. It was only a fleeting moment but it registered with me as he didn't sound very happy. 

• Like 1

Just now, jmhopton said:

Yes Valentino did rather monopolise the fed up feeling in Men at the Barre but there was just a minute with Erico saying how the corps de ballet 'weren't trusted' (I think that was his expression) to do anything elaborate at curtain calls apart from possibly move an arm. It was only a fleeting moment but it registered with me as he didn't sound very happy. 

Thanks! I had forgotten that.

A feature on Daichi Ikarashi who is supposed to join the company as Aud Jebsen Dancer. This Japanese article is on a major Japanese newspaper and it appeared yesterday. 

https://www.asahi.com/articles/photo/AS20200815000090.html

Another article from a local newspaper with a video

https://www.niigata-nippo.co.jp/news/national/20200712555020.html

He was also featured at a professional football match and gave a speech as a supporter of his home team in Niigata.

I hope he and the other joiners can start in the company in the new season. 

Well, those articles are recent and it looks as if the Aud Jebsen Young Dancers will have their one year opportunity.

It would have been very odd had that not been the case as the scheme is specifically funded by Aud Jebsen. But will the dancers in the current group who had been offered RB contacts be 'safe' as well?

Maybe the announcement omitted joiners out of deference to the many ROH/RB freelancers who lost their jobs and the many other ROH staff whose jobs are now at risk of redundancy.

• Like 4

Gosh, my post letting people know of RB and BRB joiners (information which is in the public domain) and also lamenting the lack of credit given to Erico Montes seems to have been deleted... How bizarre. Anyway, let it be know that I agree that KOH should have given him a much more worthy send-off!