bangorballetboy

Royal Ballet joiners & leavers 2020

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Tristan Dyer has today announced that he has left the Royal Ballet.

Did he say where he was going? I hope this is not the beginning of a reduced company due to the current financial issues. 

Haven't seen any announcement from the RB (i.e. no "thanks and good luck on your next endeavor" as seems to be customary) yet but that may be due to staffing levels. 

Edited by oncnp

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Did he say where he was going? 

He suggested that he was hanging up his ballet shoes .... and was - in a very nice posting - full of praise and thanks for his employer and many colleagues.  I'm sure we all send him every best wish ... 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 7

I've been wondering for ages what has happened to him and actually mentioned him in one of my letters to Kevin O'Hare (but didn't get a reply on that subject at least) I don't recall seeing him since the Bernstein trilogy where he had quite a large part and was really good and I think featured on cinema posters . I thought that might kick start his career then never heard of him since. I wondered if he had already left but he was still listed and then if he was injured. Didn't even notice him in corps but put that down to not being able to get to many performances. Will be sorry to see him go but perhaps he had to make a difficult decision. I wish him well for whatever he now chooses to do.

• Like 2

From his IG posts he has been in the USA for most of the last year.  I wondered if he was on sabbatical.  I enjoyed his dancing, sad that he won’t be dancing again at ROH or anywhere

• Like 3

Sad news, I always enjoyed his dancing, wish him well for the future!

• Like 3

I’ve been thinking about the annual joiners and leavers announcement and wondering how dancers have been able to audition if they are looking to leave, or if they have not had contracts extended.  Do the Aud Jebsen Young Dancers at RB have automatic acceptance into the main company?  It was my impression they did not.  Happy to learn more about the programme ...

4 hours ago, FionaE said:

I’ve been thinking about the annual joiners and leavers announcement and wondering how dancers have been able to audition if they are looking to leave, or if they have not had contracts extended.  Do the Aud Jebsen Young Dancers at RB have automatic acceptance into the main company?  It was my impression they did not.  Happy to learn more about the programme ...

If you saw Men at the Barre, you will know that, when students are offered a place as an Aud Jebsen Young Dancer, they are told that it is a one year contract with a view to joining The Royal Ballet. However, it is not automatic. Apparently, those on the AJYD contracts are told early in the calendar year whether or not they have a place in the Company but they are not permitted to divulge that until the official announcement is made. There have been years when all the AJYDs have been offered a contract but, on a minority of occasions, one of two dancers have not been so lucky.

It would be nice if the announcement about Leavers and Joiners could be made now, but I guess that everything is in a state of flux.

• Like 2

He was a lovely dancer. First noticed him in DGV but also particularly liked him in Age of Anxiety, Frankenstein and Symphonic Variations. I’d noticed he’d not been on stage during the curtailed 19/20 season and wondered if he might already have left. Very best wishes to him for his future.

Tristan’s IG post from 2nd July 2020:

tristandyer After 10 years dancing professionally in The Royal Ballet and a lifetime of training, I have decided to hang my shoes up and take my final bow. I will treasure this part of my life forever and hold many special moments close to my heart. It was a dream come true to be a part of such a historic establishment and it lived up to every expectation and more. I have so much admiration and love for all my fellow colleagues and the support system I have had over the years. I cannot even begin to express my gratitude for my family and friends and everyone who’s been there for me. Onto the next chapter & I look forward to cheering you all on from the other side of the curtain!