Homeschooling - Vocational training

balletbean

A light hearted post at these unprecedented times. 
Out of interest how many other parents have relinquished their living room UFN for their darling US DC to create a studio?  
I’m sure I can’t be the only one. 

With vocational training now online (new term today) with registration at 10 with lessons right through until 4pm. I found myself spending Sunday afternoon rearranging/stacking all the living room furniture just create enough clear floor space. Even removing the centre light fitting for safety reasons and to create more height. 
Am I crazy or am I joining an ever growing band of like minded (slightly crazy) parents. 

Uni students require a laptop and desk 
Ours on the other hand .........................  
😉🙆‍♀️🙆🏻‍♂️🩰🕺🏻💃🏼😂

• Like 7

This made me laugh! The ‘junk room’ has been reorganised with now precarious stacked high ‘stuff I really must sort & get rid off...

The light fitting has been a concern as have seen it wobble after a grand battement a la seconde on more than one occasion now!  

• Like 1

We move our living room furniture every day to create a space for class! We live in an upside down house and my office is underneath the thuds from contemporary and jazz. Thank goodness tap is yet to go on line😀

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, balletbean said:

Out of interest how many other parents have relinquished their living room UFN for their darling US DC to create a studio?  

With vocational training now online (new term today) with registration at 10 with lessons right through until 4pm. I found myself spending Sunday afternoon rearranging/stacking all the living room furniture just create enough clear floor space. Even removing the centre light fitting for safety reasons and to create more height. 
Am I crazy or am I joining an ever growing band of like minded (slightly crazy) parents. 

😉🙆‍♀️🙆🏻‍♂️🩰🕺🏻💃🏼😂

We no longer have a lounge ... sofa in garbage , tv too ! Family are congregating in the kitchen whilst my daughter now has her own studio ! And even suggested we keep it that way 😂

• Like 1

Luckily we have a 6x3 conservatory that doubles as a studio for Dds school classes in the morning and Dss company class in the afternoon 😅 Thank god for time differences 😂 

The very expensive ballet barre that I bought on a whim 8 years ago is now a god send. This is going to be for the long haul I fear 😢

• Like 2

The day before lockdown we humphed our dining table and chairs to a small lockup storage unit and a charity came and picked up our sofas. Never worked so quickly! We then put up the barre and laid some flooring of sorts. There’s a good space but not suitable for allegro. We still have a small seat in the corner to watch telly!

Not just vocational students of course! DD has had the dining room to herself for the last 5 weeks since her academic and dance schools closed. As it's dragging on so long, the carpet is now coming up in the bedroom to allow full use of her barre and allow us use of a dining table again! 

Yes, our lounge is now a dance studio for a lot of the time! Portable barre permanently in there (I'm actually using it too for zoom adult ballet on Fridays!) and Harlequin floor mat soon to arrive... Strange times! :) 

• Like 1

Haha! There’s been no rest for us, since dd been home - fri 20th March, she’s had 4 days off (Easter weekend!) she has classes spread across 7 days instead of mon-fri and our ‘studio’ is a mix between bedroom (when not warm enough) or patio and top garden depending on what the class is! Tap, Spanish and pointe is on a large piece of hardboard and barre is one of my portable one’s from my studio! I’m loving joining in with contemporary on a Friday and enjoying watching her dance as being away we don’t get to see her dance much! 

• Like 1

Our kitchen is now a ballet studio, I wonder how many times dd’s teachers have seen me crawling along the floor trying to avoid the camera just so I can get a cup of tea 😂. Our dog had featured on zoom as he particularly likes to join in with the stretch classes 😬

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Tutumuchmum said:

We no longer have a lounge ... sofa in garbage , tv too ! Family are congregating in the kitchen whilst my daughter now has her own studio ! And even suggested we keep it that way 😂

I’m so pleased I’m not the only one. No seating in our kitchen so I’m resigned to my bedroom!! Bring back the sunshine so I can escape to the garden. How long is this on for? 😫

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abitwornout said:

Our kitchen is now a ballet studio, I wonder how many times dd’s teachers have seen me crawling along the floor trying to avoid the camera just so I can get a cup of tea 😂. Our dog had featured on zoom as he particularly likes to join in with the stretch classes 😬

We have tried the kitchen in the past but resulted in a badly bruised foot. Went off centre in a pirouette and caught the worktop. Not mine I might add.   Never again or words to that effect were mentioned at the time!!  🙆‍♀️😬

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dancing unicorn said:

Haha! There’s been no rest for us, since dd been home - fri 20th March, she’s had 4 days off (Easter weekend!) she has classes spread across 7 days instead of mon-fri and our ‘studio’ is a mix between bedroom (when not warm enough) or patio and top garden depending on what the class is! Tap, Spanish and pointe is on a large piece of hardboard and barre is one of my portable one’s from my studio! I’m loving joining in with contemporary on a Friday and enjoying watching her dance as being away we don’t get to see her dance much! 

Brilliant. DD came home on the 20th but was quite poorly so took a while to recover. Discovered that a tap board on the patio in beautiful sunshine enabled multi tasking. Zoom lessons and sunbathing. Amused the neighbours no doubt with the sounds. 
Now it’s more formal lessons timetable as it’s a new term. 
Keeeep Dancing. 💃🏼🙆‍♀️😎

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Tap 😱🤣

Oh yes. I have received the “can I tap on the kitchen floor” eer no you can’t dear. Unless you want to pay to replace it. Have a tap board instead. Don’t you just love ‘em. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

Luckily we have a 6x3 conservatory that doubles as a studio for Dds school classes in the morning and Dss company class in the afternoon 😅 Thank god for time differences 😂 

The very expensive ballet barre that I bought on a whim 8 years ago is now a god send. This is going to be for the long haul I fear 😢

The ballet barre had been consigned to the storage unit since DD had gone away but strangely it’s the only thing I went to collect before lockdown. Forgot the summer clothes and garden furniture but hey at least my DD has her barre. Meanwhile I’m melting in winter clothes 🤣. Priorities! 

• Like 1

We live in a 3 storey town house and thankfully have a utility room / playroom on the very bottom floor. She does have to try and do the zoom.lessons with the washing machine on in the background!!! Portable barre and mirrors from IKEA which she bought last year with her bday money. Just waiting for flooring to arrive as the laminate is a bit slippy

• Like 1

DD can go into furniture removal when this is all over! Everyday she moves the sitting room around to her precise liking depending on the class! We have a wooden 'suspended' floor and apparently it's great to dance on! Tap too 🙈 ( just going to have to get someone in to refinish it in the future! ) Her barre permanently lives in there, but she has to fight DS and DH for the room as the piano is in there too! 

She's doing school work in her bedroom and I'm living in the kitchen! 

Am debating moving a sofa into these dining room for comfort! 

Fun times! 

• Like 2

DS is doing virtual schooling with Hammond. Our living room is out of bounds for the rest of us during the day so we have a choice of garden, kitchen or bedroom. We've removed the dining table to make room for a small barre area and put a very lightweight desk in for academics which can be easily moved for dance lessons. 

2 hours ago, Pixiewoo said:

DD can go into furniture removal when this is all over! Everyday she moves the sitting room around to her precise liking depending on the class! We have a wooden 'suspended' floor and apparently it's great to dance on! Tap too 🙈 ( just going to have to get someone in to refinish it in the future! ) Her barre permanently lives in there, but she has to fight DS and DH for the room as the piano is in there too! 

She's doing school work in her bedroom and I'm living in the kitchen! 

Am debating moving a sofa into these dining room for comfort! 

Fun times! 

1 hour ago, Penguinboysmum said:

DS is doing virtual schooling with Hammond. Our living room is out of bounds for the rest of us during the day so we have a choice of garden, kitchen or bedroom. We've removed the dining table to make room for a small barre area and put a very lightweight desk in for academics which can be easily moved for dance lessons. 

Aah brilliant. So delighted I’m not alone. 

Thus morning my darling DD topped it off by walking down stairs into the ‘studio’ carrying her dance bag!!! Taking this commute business a tad too far me thinks. 

I’m now barred. It’s raining and I’m not too impressed especially as the only tv is now in the ‘studio’. 😫
🍷🍷🍷😂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, balletbean said:

Aah brilliant. So delighted I’m not alone. 

Thus morning my darling DD topped it off by walking down stairs into the ‘studio’ carrying her dance bag!!! Taking this commute business a tad too far me thinks. 

I’m now barred. It’s raining and I’m not too impressed especially as the only tv is now in the ‘studio’. 😫
🍷🍷🍷😂

I've had to resort to watching tv on the laptop!

23 hours ago, balletbean said:

😉🙆‍♀️🙆🏻‍♂️🩰🕺🏻💃🏼😂

Yes. Thank the lord I thought I may be majorly crazy but now I know there are others like me 😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

I'm loving this thread.

But also very grateful we don't have to make space for a ballet studio in our house as it is very small.  When I do may pilates workout I have to lie diagonally across the living room so I don't bump into the furniture.  It would be useless for dancing!

Great to see the enthusiasm and  lengths you are all going to to keep the DC's dancing.

The first chore of our lockdown was making a ballet barre with some left over wood , and then I am lucky to have access to lengths of linoleum because I belong to an association  that arranges events and competitions, so DD's bedroom has two lengths .Couldn't see my hubby allowing the 'lounge takeover senario', especially as it would cramp his guitar practice space!

My musical daughter has her music room for her bassoon practice and uni online lessons and I have retreated to the peace of the garden! Looks gorgeous for all the attention. 

Loving all the online screenings  too.

• Like 1

It is good to hear about the ingenuity of all these young people, the good humour of the parents and the resillience of everyone! There are no dancers left in our house now but that hasn't stopped the house being taken over by various activities. This afternoon my husband was videoconferencing for hours in the office 💻whilst son number 1 was doing piano practice in the dining room 🎹and son number 2 was cycling in the living room🚴‍♂️ As it had stopped raining I thought I would  escape to the garden for a while 🌻 so I picked my way through the airfix models being built in the hall 🛫and past the bits of boat in the porch only to find 14 ducklings waddling round the lawn. 🦆They were super cute but their Mum made it clear that she didn't welcome my presence.  I had to retreat back indoors to the kitchen - the only room that nobody else seems to have claimed yet!

Seriously though, I do feel very lucky to have so much space. Whilst it can get a bit annoying to have the house turned upside down, I cannot begin to imagine what it must be like for families with young children living in, say, flats with limited room and no access to safe outside spaces. Let's hope that things do continue to stabilise so that there is some relief for all those who are suffering in different ways and a return to normality for our children and ourselves. Stay strong everyone 💙

• Like 6

Please tell me it’s a static bike....or is your dining room one of those long galleries I jested about earlier Pups Mum???!!!

Loving the image of the 14 ducklings & protective mother Duck....& you are right, we can all count our blessings as I’m sure we will all have it better than many others.... in lockdown & in ‘normal’ times. 

• Like 3

The Mariinsky Ballet’s Maria Khoreva, promoted to a First Soloist after just two years of graduating from the Vaganova Academy, shares on youtube her class routine - in English.

Ballet class 2020 (at home, barre ) with Maria Khoreva & live music

• Like 1

On 28/04/2020 at 10:43, balletbean said:

I burst out laughing this morning when DD appeared with her bag ready to dance in the sitting room and instantly thought of your DD balletbean! 

• Like 1

On 27/04/2020 at 20:54, Dancing unicorn said:

Ooh someone else who studies Spanish dancing. Not many around

• Like 1

I've come across this while preparing for the links to be published tomorrow morning.

https://www.culturewhisper.com/r/dance/james_cousins_company_online/15500

The James Cousins Company is streaming some works on Wednesdays starting on 6th May.  At the bottom of the preview feature it says:

"NOTE: Each premiere will be launched with an accompanying creative task specifically aimed at GCSE, BTEC and A-level students to link with their scheme of work and home learning."