Royal Ballet School Auditions 2020

Balletmumlife

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Dancing Kitty said:

Good news in our household to brighten up the day.  After SWL for both JAs and MAs and for this year's Spring and Summer courses a yes for SAs.  Not sure we can accept until we know the times but delighted with the offer.

Wow that's fantastic, congratulations!!

• Like 1

No for dd for SA London - oh well, she enjoyed the audition anyway! All good practice. After three attempts, it looks like it's always going to be a no so maybe that's the end of the Royal journey, but was fun! Well done to all the 'yes' recipients!

• Like 2

Congratulations to all who have been offered places, my daughter has been placed on the "short wait list" for year 7 mids,  is this just a term they use for all who applied but we're un successful or is it really a shortened list? No previous experience of all of this so sorry of it sounds a silly question? 😬

Now that’s the million dollar question! I can assure you that there are various terms used as have had then all so cecDD applied for JA’s, MA’s, SA’s & Spring& Summer courses...

we’ve had no’s, one yes (Spring) and then a variety of ‘wait list’ terms.... non of which have materialised into offer of a place....

these have been ‘Select Wait List’, ‘Short Wait List, ‘Priority WaitvList’ & ‘Director’s Wait List’ ( which sounded very grand as it listed that Mr X as inviting her to be on the list!!!) Personslly I think these are all one & the same List & if any places become available they will be offered to the ‘best fit’ candidate off whichever wait list...ie. a ten year old boy will be replaced by another ten year old boy. 

I’ve wondered if the different wait list names just depend on who did the email out that year for that group or indeed if they have fun making us all guess the order of priority! 🤣🤣😧😧😭😭

Do wish though that they’d adopt one term & it be more transparent & understandable & stop the (very natural) human nature response to wonder if X kid is ahead of Y kid in the ‘pecking order’!!!

The key word to remember is these are kids being ‘judged/graded/rejected/given hope’. And most of their non dancing peers never get judged this way....though I’m sure it’s replicated where kids apply to join any form of elite sports/music etc training.

Good luck to all!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dancing Kitty said:

Good news in our household to brighten up the day.  After SWL for both JAs and MAs and for this year's Spring and Summer courses a yes for SAs.  Not sure we can accept until we know the times but delighted with the offer.

Which centre is the offer for ? 

10 minutes ago, DanceMum83 said:

Sorry if this had been asked! 
but do most people get told they’re on the shorting waiting list for mids? 
Do some get a straight no?

I should imagine that statistically most of those that audition get a "no" based on the relative numbers of applications and places available. (In our household we have had more than one "no" for RBS). A SWL place is a brilliant achievement in itself. 

23 hours ago, DanceMum83 said:

Sorry if this had been asked! 
but do most people get told they’re on the shorting waiting list for mids? 
Do some get a straight no?

As said earlier, we’ve had lots of straight ‘no’ emails plus then a variety of titled wait lists & one hallowed (couple of years ago spring course) yes! Never got a place for either SA’s/Summer from any of those hallowed wait lists....but hoping this could be the year! Ironically, if it did happen not 100% sure doable but hey, ever the optimist 😀

Hi, my dd is on the short wait list for SAs having never auditioned before so she’s over the moon! DD is hoping that she will get a place but what are the chances? Anyone know how many are actually on the wait list? Trying not to be negative but just want to manage her expectations! Any advice would be fab - we’re v new to all this! 

• Like 1

On 28/03/2020 at 18:49, Twinkletoes12 said:

Hi, my dd is on the short wait list for SAs having never auditioned before so she’s over the moon! DD is hoping that she will get a place but what are the chances? Anyone know how many are actually on the wait list? Trying not to be negative but just want to manage her expectations! Any advice would be fab - we’re v new to all this! 

There are less places at Birmingham so depends which centre is waiting for a place at 

Thanks. My ds originally auditioned for Newcastle but as they will now be doing mids in Dundee we have changed him to that centre so I’ve just found out that we need to wait until everyone has auditioned for Dundee 🤦‍♀️

Good luck! That happened to a pupil of mine many years ago. She auditioned for Bath and then they announced that there would be a Mids class in Poole as well as the JA one. So she was put on the waiting list for Poole until the auditions had taken place.  She got her place. After she had finished both classes moved to Eastleigh and then the Mids class was dropped after another year. Such a shame!