Elmhurst auditions 2019/2020

sunrise81

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, stardust1 said:

We were there last week.  DD class was at 9am so there was plenty of spaces at the cricket ground when we arrived there around 8.30.  It looked full though when we left about 11.30 though.  Not sure what time your auditon class is?

We were there then to, how did it go? 

We loved it there, my daughter was number 1 x

25 minutes ago, Lottie77 said:

We were there then to, how did it go? 

We loved it there, my daughter was number 1 x

DD was number 8, wearing a light green leotard.  She really enjoyed it and thought it went well but was a bit worried as she stumbled on one of the pirouettes but it obviously didn’t matter as we received our letter today - much quicker than what they said - she has a place at finals in March!! She’s super excited. x

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, stardust1 said:

DD was number 8, wearing a light green leotard.  She really enjoyed it and thought it went well but was a bit worried as she stumbled on one of the pirouettes but it obviously didn’t matter as we received our letter today - much quicker than what they said - she has a place at finals in March!! She’s super excited. x

This is wonderful news! congratulations to your DD

I am at work so hope we might have a letter when i am back home fingers crossed for a positive letter.

My daughter was wearing a lilac leotard xx

3 hours ago, stardust1 said:

We were there last week.  DD class was at 9am so there was plenty of spaces at the cricket ground when we arrived there around 8.30.  It looked full though when we left about 11.30 though.  Not sure what time your auditon class is?

We are at 11.15am :) Fingers crossed for space.....dont need that stress too! Congrats to your dd too!!!!

16 hours ago, Lottie77 said:

This is wonderful news! congratulations to your DD

I am at work so hope we might have a letter when i am back home fingers crossed for a positive letter.

My daughter was wearing a lilac leotard xx

16 hours ago, stardust1 said:

We had a yes to the final round too! So happy!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tops said:

We are next week also, 9am. How many were in each group ? Did the audition start at 9 or was there time to warm up first ? 
Congratulations on the finals results 😊

As you go in they are given a number to attach to their leotards and everyone waited in the main entrance.

At 9am they took them with their bags and they went off and the adults began a tour. We saw them again waiting to go into the audition at around 9.15 (ish).

The tour was really good and very informative. We then went in for the final 5 mins of the audition and that was around 11am.

I think there was approximately 20 auditioning last week although it might have been a few less, mostly girls and four boys.

There were three 'behind a table' in the audition and a teacher.

They did some flexability exercises during the class.

Good luck x 

5 hours ago, Lottie77 said:

Brilliant!! Well done to your daughter.  My DD remembered her when I mentioned “no.1 in the lilac leotard” and said “ yes, she should get through”.
I thought the standard was very high when we watched for the last 10mins and could only pick out one who looked like she was a little below the level of the others.  Wonder how many they take forward?

• Like 1

Can I ask what was included in the audition, my DD (auditions for a year 7 place) and her ballet teacher are interested. What sort of percentages get through to finals and then get offered.  DD got a no for young dancers last year so don’t even know if it’s worth even attempting.    Thanks in advance

15 minutes ago, DancingWellies said:

I think there's around 10 people apply for every place, around 40 to 50 get to finals for a max of around 20 places (girls). Numbers in each year group vary, year 11 is only 12 girls, year 10 around 18. Year groups sem to be nearer 18 than 12 though gurther down the school.

Thank you x

5 hours ago, Shellym said:

DD got a no for young dancers last year so don’t even know if it’s worth even attempting.    Thanks in advance

Shellym - don't let one 'No' put you off applying again if your DD wants to and you can afford it.  

Young dancers can change a lot over a year or two, and you never quite know what the audition panel are looking for each time.  Nerves can play a big part in how your child performs on the day too.  

Also audition practice is valuable.  Every audition is a rehearsal for the next one.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, glowlight said:

Shellym - don't let one 'No' put you off applying again if your DD wants to and you can afford it.  

Young dancers can change a lot over a year or two, and you never quite know what the audition panel are looking for each time.  Nerves can play a big part in how your child performs on the day too.  

Also audition practice is valuable.  Every audition is a rehearsal for the next one.

Thank you, her dance teacher advised she has progressed a lot since last May, standing out from her peers 

Ohhh ladies.... just reading through this topic..... i really dont envy u all right now!!!! We went through it all last year, its a gruelling rollercoaster of emotions for months!!!

Good luck to all ur girls.

Edited by K155srv

Yes, dd is there now, started in year 9. 6 or 7 of the original year 7s are left. Lots of movement in and out over the years. I think most if not all have left of their own volition rather than being assessed out, some have moved to other schools, some have left for health reasons, some have left the dance world. It will be interesting to see how many go on to sixth form, are offered places and accept them.

Edited by DancingWellies

On 19/11/2019 at 09:01, Lottie77 said:

Fabulous news for you!  My DD (applying for year 7) worried that she  might be asked to do stuff in the audition she doesn’t know, she’s still undecided if to apply or not, what sort of format is the audition, is it anything like the young dancers? 

thanks xx

Edited by Shellym

11 hours ago, Shellym said:

Fabulous news for you!  My DD (applying for year 7) worried that she  might be asked to do stuff in the audition she doesn’t know, she’s still undecided if to apply or not, what sort of format is the audition, is it anything like the young dancers? 

thanks xx

The audition is straightforward, around Gr4 standard, with some Center practice and basic pirouettes added.

The Director talks about seeing that special sparkle, especially in the eyes. Good Luck!

36 minutes ago, valentina said:

The audition is straightforward, around Gr4 standard, with some Center practice and basic pirouettes added.

The Director talks about seeing that special sparkle, especially in the eyes. Good Luck!

Thank you, she’s in idta grade 3 at the moment, full of determination and nothing phases her so not sure if to go for it or not x

Nothing ventured, nothing gained 😉 if your DD treats the audition as an extra class, in lovely studios and with a pianist and a new teacher who may have a different approach to her usual teacher/s, she will learn from the audition in itself even if it goes no further. I’m sure if she relaxes and demonstrates her love of dancing, it will make up for any steps of which she may be unsure, if there are any. Our teacher always reminded the students that even if they haven’t done a step which is requested during an audition, their attitude towards having a try in any event can go a long way; technique can be taught and built upon whereas talent and the love of dance can’t!

Wishing your DD luck and an enjoyable audition class!

• Like 1

On 21/11/2019 at 23:14, DeveloppeD said:

@BalletBear how are you getting on? Wishing you lots of love and luck 🤞🏻♥️

Hi thank you for remembering, that’s really kind of you! I’m going good, most of the applications are being done this weekend (due to a lot happening, so we’re having to be quick about some schools!) and my physio is really helping me so hopefully come auditions I’ll have some shins that don’t hurt too much and I’ll be able to show the panel how much I love to dance! I hope every one else has a great audition season, I’ll be rooting for you! 💕xx

• Like 1