Elmhurst auditions 2019/2020

sunrise81

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I correct in thinking Elmhurst auditions are filmed and watched back?

I do remember watching the final part of the audition and forgive me if I am incorrect, but not all candidates seemed to watched by the panel, hoping they take time to watch back the footage or maybe they only put through the candidates that have caught their eye on the day? 

17 minutes ago, Princess dreams said:

Am I correct in thinking Elmhurst auditions are filmed and watched back?

I do remember watching the final part of the audition and forgive me if I am incorrect, but not all candidates seemed to watched by the panel, hoping they take time to watch back the footage or maybe they only put through the candidates that have caught their eye on the day? 

They told us the video was to watch back if they wanted to check something again.

Thanks. Yes, after attending auditions, some getting through, some not. I am more inclined to think, it’s standing out straight away in the audition that gets you through. The panel definitely focused on the same candidates in each line, for a few sets that I watched. Interesting to see the outcome, thanks for your thoughts

Oh don’t worry , I know it often feels like everyone knows everyone else , but it’s probably a group of JA Mums or a group from the same dance school .

Quite often it is best to stand alone - away from all the chit chat and speculating !!

I have experienced many many auditions , as a parent and as a teacher - it can be quite daunting at first , but you get used to it , and find your best way of making the day enjoyable.

We always used to set off the night before - stay in a nearby hotel and get a good night’s sleep .

Not talk about the audition too much , and have a bit of a treat afterwards !

Wishing you all the very best for your DS at the finals .

Have you done Tring and Hammond too?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Informed from an Elmhurst student parent that year 11 is full and no pupils as yet have given notice. I didn’t realise Elmhurst do not drop pupils at the end of year 11, hence only the smallest chance of gaining a place into sixth form, doesn’t seem fair that they let so many pupils audition if no places........   from a parent point of view, audition fee, accommodation before audition and travel, unnecessary extra expense 

I do believe the current Elmhurst Year 11’s have had to/will have to audition for places/funding.  And presumably if Elm lower school have done their job well then  their own pupils will be likely to be successful in gaining places.... that’s not to say that if they see better external candidates that they won’t prefer to give places to newcomers....Sixth Form intakes in many schools can often vary & increase in numbers - exp if living off site as opposed to school provided boarding. 

I’m sure it’s same at other schools too.... after all, White Lodge should’ve done a fantastic job that all their year 11’s would be good enough to join RBS Upper School should they want a place.... but past eveiermce perhaps paints a different picture?  Auditions I do think are a big PR boost & even can offer a financial boost to schools!

Edited by Peanut68
Added info

19 minutes ago, Princess dreams said:

Thank you for your insight. Both current year 11 parents that spoke to me advised their children had an assessment, but no assessing out is occurring.... they know they have a place already if they wish to stay, along with the other current year 11s 

If any of the year 11’s require Dada funding then they have to attend the finals audition and compete with everyone else. Funding is issued according to talent/potential so there is no guarantee of a place for either the current pupils or external applicants. Good luck xx

That sounds logical, they obviously were lucky enough not to require funding!   It was just quite alarming how they were so confident that the current year 11 were going straight through, unlike year 11 at white lodge, which I know get assessed out as my daughters very good friend is there. The complications of upper school places, good luck everyone ! X

I can also tell you with confidence that not all Elmhurst y11s will be staying. They all have to do their final audition yet, alongside everyone else, and some are choosing to move elsewhere anyway. They have been told if they are likely to have a sixth form place or not, based on their current performance, but that’s not the same thing, and it’s most definitely not guaranteed.

Plus there’s no such thing as a ‘full’ year group at Elmhurst, they’re flexible on numbers and so will take different numbers each year depending on available beds and funding.  

• Like 1

This current year 11 is also quite small so even if they were all offered places I'd expect another 5 or 6 to join the year. As said above though not everyone will be staying on, they do assess out and not everyone wants to stay, others schools may offer a better fit for current Elmhurst pupils, as you would expect it's quite focused on classical ballet which might not be the best training for someone who wants to move into the wider world of dance.