Easter/Summer Schools and Intensives

TinyNEDancer

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 01/10/2019 at 00:59, Peanut68 said:

Gosh there is so much more out there than ever I realised! 

Any advice for first overseas course for a 16 year old who wants to spread their wings a little? I’m not sure we will ever be able to get a suitable video produced.... if RBS select from photos & application form do any similar high level overseas courses also go by just this & no video? 

Also, other than the fantastic ybss, any other places offering scholarships one can apply/audition for I wonder?

Hi, Dutch National just go on photos. My daughter got a place over the summer but unfortunately couldn't attend due to and injury. 

Royal start with physical attributes. All the usual stuff - body proportions, leg length, good feet, long neck, sway backs etc. You would be surprised how much you can tell from a photo even down to good training and turn out.  But realistically there’s so much you can’t too!  They are always interested in dancers they haven’t seen before, who are not in their associate scheme or haven’t been to an audition. I guess they are willing to take a chance, in case someone with the perfect  physique turns up who  has everything else too! The level you are working at will matter at the upper levels as the classes are demanding.

4 hours ago, valentina said:

Royal start with physical attributes. All the usual stuff - body proportions, leg length, good feet, long neck, sway backs etc. You would be surprised how much you can tell from a photo even down to good training and turn out.  But realistically there’s so much you can’t too!  They are always interested in dancers they haven’t seen before, who are not in their associate scheme or haven’t been to an audition. I guess they are willing to take a chance, in case someone with the perfect  physique turns up who  has everything else too! The level you are working at will matter at the upper levels as the classes are demanding.

Hi Thankyou, yeah I guess that makes sense 😊

Is it worth JAs applying then? and I wonder how much ballet hours a week they would want a 10 year old (for example) to be training for. I find all this fascinating... I'm obviously odd! 🤣🤣

Definitely worth applying. There are always a few JA’s, Mids and Seniors given places especially at Easter, but fewer in Summer, which has a distinctly international feel - at least, that is our experience. This maybe different at the younger end of the scale.  Don’t worry too much about how many hours she is doing because, at 10 yrs, they will be putting much more emphasis on her physical potential than anything else and will already know a little about her dance ability through associates.

As they say, gotta be in it to win it!!!

What seemed like years of no’s  in JA’s & no for intensives followed by places on wait list that never came good...finally then a place at Soring one year.... so DC (& D mum!!) got to life the White Lidge dream at least just the one time!!! 

However, getting wait list again following year was a huge blow to confidence as then it was felt ‘they actually saw me but must hate me as no place again’ 

So be careful what you wish for...finally getting a hallowed Royal yes can still end up being bitter-sweet....

sigh....

But overall, it’s an experience well worth trying for!!!

and the whole pick from photos must be supplemented by a bit of research as standard at RBS definitely higher than the Elmhurst SS also selected from photos where levels really varied in our experience (quite a few years ago now - junior course only) 

Good luck all!

1 hour ago, valentina said:

Definitely worth applying. There are always a few JA’s, Mids and Seniors given places especially at Easter, but fewer in Summer, which has a distinctly international feel - at least, that is our experience. This maybe different at the younger end of the scale.  Don’t worry too much about how many hours she is doing because, at 10 yrs, they will be putting much more emphasis on her physical potential than anything else and will already know a little about her dance ability through associates.

Thankyou again. I will let her try but make sure she keeps it realistic haha. We can only apply for summer this year as she's not 10 until after spring intensive 😊 this whole ballet world is very confusing 🤣🤣🤣 Thank you for sharing your experience and advice x

1 hour ago, Lottylou said:

Going on what you are saying, if had a 'no' for JA's, is there any point in applying?!   DD desperate to have the opportunity but I just don't think is of the correct body type 😞.   

I’m really not sure, as I’m not on the judging panel! 😂 But from what I’ve read on here there’s certainly been some no’s that have suddenly turned to yes’s, so you can never be sure. Going in with caution is probably the best plan.

• 1 month later...

@Dancing unicorn Can you please provide more info on Dar Danse/Bubble on the Beach please?

I wrote to them last year but didn't get a response. Would we need to organise the ballet as part of a group? I far as I understood, it's a hotel but the ballet can be organised per request, unless I got it all wrong? Seems like that have a separate Wells Away Ballet Retreat but only for Royal Ballet Students? TIA x

5 hours ago, AdageKitty said:

@Dancing unicorn Can you please provide more info on Dar Danse/Bubble on the Beach please?

I wrote to them last year but didn't get a response. Would we need to organise the ballet as part of a group? I far as I understood, it's a hotel but the ballet can be organised per request, unless I got it all wrong? Seems like that have a separate Wells Away Ballet Retreat but only for Royal Ballet Students? TIA x

If you private message me your email address , I will forward an email I received from Wells Away this week with details of the course and new location. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/12/2019 at 17:44, BellaF said:

Does anyone have DC attending Malvern next Easter?

My DD is very keen to go but is only 9 and I'm wondering how she'll get on getting her hair into a bun each morning 😀

I’d be interested in this too. I’ve just seen the Malvern spring intensive and am wondering whether to apply. DD is 9 (Sept bday) and I can’t decide whether she’s just a little too young yet. She’s already decided that she’s applying for them all next summer when she’s 10 so I don’t know whether to just wait. Location wise they are all so far away 😳

12 hours ago, SJBallet said:

I’d be interested in this too. I’ve just seen the Malvern spring intensive and am wondering whether to apply. DD is 9 (Sept bday) and I can’t decide whether she’s just a little too young yet. She’s already decided that she’s applying for them all next summer when she’s 10 so I don’t know whether to just wait. Location wise they are all so far away 😳

Let me know what you decide! My DD (also September birthday) is so keen to go I think we might just book on. 

15 hours ago, SJBallet said:

My daughter did the Easter course a couple of years ago and we combined it with a week's holiday. She danced all day, we got to know a beautiful part of the country we would never have visited otherwise. It worked out almost the same as her boarding financially - the only downside was having to get up to drive her in every morning, holidays should include sleep ins!

• Like 1

@BellaF and @SJBallet my daughter was keen to go to the Malvern easter course this year. Unfortunately it clashes with the English Youth Ballet rehearsals. She will be 9 in March and so roughly the same age as your DDs I think. She’s really keen to go next Easter (although that seems ages away at the moment), so I would be keen to know if either of your DDs go, and if they’re going back the year after! A friend that we’ve made through this forum and is a similar age might also be able to go the year after too 😀

I’m not sure where either of you are in the country but my DD can recommend Moorlands Ballet Summer School too. 

Thank you all. 

Combining it with a holiday is a really good idea although I don’t think my OH would see it that way 😂. But something to think about. 

Unfortunately we’ve booked our summer hols for the beginning of the school holidays so summer schools are out for us this year, but I did like the look of Moorlands. We’re in Yorkshire so will also consider YBSS next year but I think that’s hard to get into?

I’ll have a bit more of a think and check when the closing date is. 

@SJBallet we've come to the decision to book our DD into Malvern - so they'll be at least one other 9 old there!

I suspect she'll be one of least experienced there as well - she has only just taken her RAD grade 1 though is starting grade 2 and 3 at the same time now and is covering some inter F at the occasional private... hope she'll be ok.

51 minutes ago, SJBallet said:

@BellaF I’ve decided against it I think. More for logistic reasons than anything else. Will your DD be boarding?

Inter F work at 9!!! That’s fair going. 

Yes she will be boarding.

She's definitely not inter f standard! As I say she's only just taken grade 1 😃 But her teacher thinks she's got some catching up to do so introducing her to the syllabus now. 

Hello everyone,

I notice someone recommended the National School in Lisbon...

The Easter Intensive course at the Escola Artistica de  Dança de Conservatório Nacional in Lisbon has been published this week , but is probably off kilter with most UK school holidays. It says 30th  March to 3rd April, if anybody is interested. It is good, as is the summer course which normally falls the two weeks after their end of year performance, round the middle two weeks in July. 

There are some places available in the usual student residence(half board) .It depends upon how many students stay to do it. It is not directly connected to the school, but ask for details and they can provide the contacts or ask me via a message. But there are plenty of Airbnbs around the school.

Of the other residential options for younger pupils, Kings International use the dorms, refectory and facilities of Rugby School for their summer school. Ballet, pas de deux, contemporary, jazz, commercial for six days with a final showcase in the theatre. There is an non-residential option.

London courses and classes have been a struggle for my DD to attend as a minor, even with two older sisters living in London, who may or may not have room for her at any one moment. But my DD has enjoyed Danceworks and the Young Dancer course at London Ballet Masterclasses.

DD is hoping for more foreign travels this year depending upon this year's scholarship options. Saving hard for airflights. Don't tell Greta please.

Hi, I've just booked for the first week of RCS for my DD and as she's 16 she is planning to stay in RCS accommodation and have a go at being independent (she's in for a shock!). The website recommends Base Glasgow but the  Base website just goes to a bad link when I try and book for a summer course and when I emailed in the very unhelpful reply was that they only took a minimum 8 week booking! Has anyone else booked RCS yet and if so have they had any better luck?! Thanks. 

Ps if anyone else has booked it would be good to know as DD won't know anyone else there I don't think. 

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All

I have just received an email from the RBS summer intensives team asking me to confirm or decline my DD's place on the RBS Summer Intensive 2020. At the end of the email it congratulates her for getting a place. 

Last week we received a 'wait list' place and so I was somewhat surprised by the email and delighted of course. However, I thought I had better just call the Intensive team to double check before I broke the news to my DD. They told me it is simply a computer generated email sent to everyone placed or on the wait list. 

My DD is extremely fortunate to be in a vocational school. If we were reliant on RBS outreach opportunities to support local ballet schooling this would have been a really horrible let down. I thought I had better share before anyone else was as confused as me and thought wrongly it was an offer.

I still feel very let down. 

Good luck to everyone who has a place and good luck to those waiting like we are. xx

• Like 1